Got drum gear invention/improvement ideas?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
OK so I'm bombarded with new ideas for drums on a regular basis. I-I-I can't stop it.

Here's the latest.

In the future, if there are still acoustic drums, or any other wood instrument for that matter, they will have programmable nano finishes, powered by light, that can be changed to whatever you want.

By thought, what the hell :)

It would make a lot of sense to manufacturers especially for drums. They would only have to offer one "finish"

Yea, that's not wacky at all :)

Sorry Mr. Walopus I know you probably don't want to hear this...

I know you have some ideas.

Let's hear them.

In the future, drum shells with be made of smart materials that can change their acoustic properties in the moment. So one song you are playing on some birch-sounding drums for a fusion or bop/jazz sound. Next tune they sound like mahogany or fiberglass. Etc..

In the future, drum shells with be made of smart materials that can change their acoustic properties in the moment. So one song you are playing on some birch-sounding drums for a fusion or bop/jazz sound. Next tune they sound like mahogany or fiberglass. Etc..

Oh hey! Capital idea sir.

I'm pissed off that I didn't think of it first :)

Well done!

Cars now have paint jobs that change to a myriad of colors depending on the light shone on them. Drums would be cool that way

I got one.
Low volume cymbals are made by punching holes in them.
If I’m not wrong, it’s also how the mesh heads works - that air can pass through the head.

Somebody should make a skin that way. Perhaps like the Sabian FRX cymbals with a perimeter of holes.

On day I have nothing better to do, I’ll fish out a soldering iron and rape a drum skin and test it out.

Where do I begin?

1 Solid wood re-rings on the outside
2 Columns between said outer re-rings so the lugs can attach to that instead of the main shell.
3 Drumheads; single ply that gradually get thicker towards the centre, and an alternative that's visa versa.
4 Kick pedals that allow you to shift the clamp left/right so you can choose where horizontally you want the beater to position.
5 Kick pedals that allow you to adjust the height of the axis (the vertical columns on each side of the pedal).
6 Anything else that needs to be adjusted on a kick pedal.
7 One stand that can mount all your toms/snare and cymbals, including hi hats. Heck, even your bass drum and drum seat.

Where do I begin?

2 Columns between said outer re-rings so the lugs can attach to that instead of the main shell.
3 Drumheads; single ply that gradually get thicker towards the centre, and an alternative that's visa versa.
4 Kick pedals that allow you to shift the clamp left/right so you can choose where horizontally you want the beater to position.
5 Kick pedals that allow you to adjust the height of the axis (the vertical columns on each side of the pedal).
7 One stand that can mount all your toms/snare and cymbals, including hi hats. Heck, even your bass drum and drum seat.

1 and 2 exist if I'm not mistaken and number 4, My Taye Metalworks pedal has that. Number 5 can be achieved by raising and lowering the beater on the cross piece, to a limited amount.

#5 would be handy for 18” bass drums. You could keep the beater at your preferred length and feel, then lower the posts so the beater strikes in the right spot, without using a riser.

I got one.
Low volume cymbals are made by punching holes in them.
If I’m not wrong, it’s also how the mesh heads works - that air can pass through the head.

Somebody should make a skin that way. Perhaps like the Sabian FRX cymbals with a perimeter of holes.

On day I have nothing better to do, I’ll fish out a soldering iron and rape a drum skin and test it out.

Have you been living under a rock for the last 3 years? Because A lot of manufacturers have made these and they're really popular with apartment drummers.

Zildjian L80 cymbals
Zildjian Gen16 cymbals
Sabian QuietTone cymbals

Along with other less known manufacturers. They are Sabian FRX but made of alloy, and they have holes everywhere.

Have you been living under a rock for the last 3 years? Because A lot of manufacturers have made these and they're really popular with apartment drummers.

Zildjian L80 cymbals
Zildjian Gen16 cymbals
Sabian QuietTone cymbals

Along with other less known manufacturers. They are Sabian FRX but made of alloy, and they have holes everywhere.

You DO realize he is talking about drum shells and not cymbals, right?

V Drums?

Where do I begin?

Doesn't Tama's new pedal do #5?

Wow that dark stain... Man... Wow.

Back