Drinking beer at a gig

Merlin5

Gold Member
As I sit drinking a beer, rare for me, I'm wondering if anyone here drinks alcohol at their gigs? I never do. I'm not much of a drinker at all and I'm glad because it's too expensive.

I enjoy the occasional beer. But on a gig? I'm always too worried that my timing would be all over the place, it only takes me one pint to feel woozy. On the other hand, some drummers probably need it or like it to feel relaxed or get in the zone.

It seems musicians are notorious for drinking but I'm not sure how many drummers are. Apart from a british drummer called Graham Jarvis who used to be Cliff Richard's regular drummer. Apparently he was an alcoholic who used to go through 20 + pints and still handle Cliff's gig perfectly! Seems like the alcohol killed him in the end as he's not around anymore. But this isn't meant to be morbid, I'm just curious who drinks and can handle it on gig and if they feel they play better or not.

Depends on the person.

Personally, maybe 50% of the time I'll have a beer on stage as I play. Not usually before. In that case another after the show too.

I get a little uppity if people in my band have more than one or two before/during our set.

On the other hand, someone who drinks a fair amount can have that and probably play better than without. When you play lots of drums under the influence of alcohol or anything for that matter, the neural pathways/muscle memory you create are slightly different, and easier to access in that same state of mind.

I might have a beer maybe an hour before a gig, but it's mainly water. I don't even like to eat or drink anything that's sugary before I play.

Depends on the person.

Personally, maybe 50% of the time I'll have a beer on stage as I play. Not usually before. In that case another after the show too.

I get a little uppity if people in my band have more than one or two before/during our set.

On the other hand, someone who drinks a fair amount can have that and probably play better than without. When you play lots of drums under the influence of alcohol or anything for that matter, the neural pathways/muscle memory you create are slightly different, and easier to access in that same state of mind.

Hmm yeah. I guess that's somewhat dangerous because you then become almost totally reliant on alcohol in order to function as a drummer.

Hmm yeah. I guess that's somewhat dangerous because you then become almost totally reliant on alcohol in order to function as a drummer.

Yep. I tend to avoid these types of guys in my bands when possible. As stated, they can often hold it together for a show even after slamming 3 steel reserve tall boys, but all the other associated non-sense involved with being around an alcoholic is always there.

One of the curses of the creative pursuits. Often the most creative people are the most apt to take risks and experiment by nature. Like anything, it has to be a balance, and balance is what's so difficult to achieve in our lives.

Depends on the person.

Wow, so thats whats going on. I used to be a heartier partier and I used to get to a point where I was hitting on all cylinders...then very quickly not so much.

Are you buying them from England..?..lol..

I only have this from hearsay though, since i am a completely 0% alcohol person, always was..

I'm in England and am currently drinking this. Potent enough for me. Though it's french beer. Very nice though. And the fries are tasty and they're british. :D

20180515_212153.jpg

None if I'm driving, if not then I have a 2 beer max until after I've finished playing. Anything more than 2 and i'll enjoy myself, but everyone else won't so much....

I sound awesome when I play drunk.

I'm almost sure of it! :)

I will have a beer or two at a gig most times, but I sip at it between songs rather than slug it down at once. My tolerance is pretty high, and I don't notice a lot of difference between playing with or without a beer - other than a need to go wee.

I take one beer or a glass of wine before the gig, mostly to shake off a bit of my anxiety and after it’s water.

I drink some beer after I play.

It messes with my motor skills and it dulls my brain if I drink while I gig.

But that's exactly what I'm looking to experience after the gig.

If I am at an open mic jam, then I'll play even if I am drinking because I'm on my own time.

During my Zeppelin gig I'll drink as much as I feel like before and during the show, but I know my limits so I don't allow myself to get drunk.

At my cover gig I only have two or three because the atmosphere is different. I'll have a beer after set up then again during the two set breaks.

My tolerance is good.

I'll have a beer mid-gig, or before last set, sipping between songs. Home stretch. Almost never before a gig.
Band I'm in as a tradition to do a group shot of tequila before the gig. I don't indulge in that at all, but am new, and have not the clout yet to tell them it affects their playing. Luckily we don't gig too often.

I drink soft drinks in the lead up but I'll maybe have one during the gig mostly. Just as happy with a water though.

Then will happily drink more afterwards when off stage.

Back