Cajons for dummers? Scandalous?

Life's a drum

This question all started when I was working on some work we had at davisdrum with their new release the DavisOne. (You can view the post here:http://www.davisdrum.com/davis-one)

The question I have is, are cajons a good substitute for a drummer who wants something to jam on while they're on the go? Or is this something drummers would have a problem with. I'm a drummer myself, and definitely don't mind having a cajon near by to grab when I'm to lazy to pickup a set, or when I'm not able to bring a set.

Although Cajons aren't the same style of playing or necessarily sound the same, good ones are quite fun to jam on with your friends say at the campfire. What's your guys take?

Last edited:
Ah! So you're trying to do some free market research?

Lol I guess it could be seen that way, but no. It's an honest question I have. I'm not benefiting at all for anyones answers. I've been on other forums before, and a lot of drummers had problems with cajons. Being a drummer myself and not seeing them as a big issue, I'm just wondering what drummers here think.

I find a good snappy cajon to be the most suitable truly-portable solution for an impromptu jam in the hills with acoustic guitars. It's really the only percussion that gives you both a bass drum and snare sound, which is really what people expect to hear in rock and folk type stuff. It's really really easy for me to make music sound good with a cajon, whereas if I'm just given a set of bongos or djembe, I have a harder time making things sound right to my head.

Lol I guess it could be seen that way, but no. It's an honest question I have. I'm not benefiting at all for anyones answers. I've been on other forums before, and a lot of drummers had problems with cajons. Being a drummer myself and not seeing them as a big issue, I'm just wondering what drummers here think.

It's all good. I'm just 'that guy'.

Cajons are ok. They're not a 'substitute' but they are very forgiving, easy to learn, easy to transport and cover the basic sounds that we expect. I've seen them used very effectively and even in larger situations when amplified effectively.

Impromptu jams are a good use. If you want to use a cajon in a larger context, having some kind of piezo element mic to plug into a board would be a real boon.

I use an empty plastic coffee container for a hand drum. It works OK and is hard to break.

I got to try a cajon some time ago and I just didn't get along with it. My back couldn't handle being in that position of leaning forward and down for long periods of time. Maybe if I was in my 20s again.

I think they're cool in the appropriate venue and musical styles. Never had the urge or need to get one though. When I need quiet, portable drums, I bring a snare and brushes, and a throne. Like Bo, I'm not cut out for hunching forward to play.

Bermuda

I seem to be the only drummer alive who just doesn't dig a cajon. I've played them and got along fine, I've heard them played well, and I've heard them mic'd up nicely. I just don't like them. I would much rather hear or play a djembe. I play a djembe in a style rather like a doumbek and can draw out a very wide variety of sounds, so maybe that's why I don't care for the cajon?

Go figure!

I use an empty plastic coffee container for a hand drum. It works OK and is hard to break.

I teach children how to play hand percussion. We use 5 gallon buckets. The Dad's are happy with that. Also... PVC instruments like shakers etc...

Very affordable and the students don't mind cuz it's FUN!

Back