Did you ever notice.....

stapes2260

....that at any given time, there are at least twice as many people viewing the drum gear forum as the general discussion or the techinique forum?

I just feel like it's an interesting commentary on musicians. We're all guilty of it at some point, but it just seems like there's a lot of musicians that are more interested in what gear they're playing than how well they play it.

This has been discussed numerous times.

It comes down this forum (like most) is all in plain text.

It's tough to discuss technique in plain text. It's tough to explain how to play something in plain text. If we were all in the same room it would be easier to discuss such topics because we could show one another what we were talking about. But we're not all in the same room.

On the other hand, it's easy to discuss gear in plain text.

So it's natural topics that are easy to discuss in text get more attention than topics that are difficult to discuss in text.

This forum has everyone from absolute beginners to touring pros. We are all drummers here, no one is here to one up anyone up or judge. And besides, lots of hobbyists are here to have fun, not be the worlds greatest drummer.

And the other aspect is technique is something best discussed with a teacher. Many posters here teach. One person who used to post a lot on here told me in private they get paid to discuss these things with their students, so why should they post about it on this site for free? I don't necessary agree with them, but I respect their position.

I can show someone how to do a double stroke roll in person, but could I explain it in text? Not really. Can I discuss in text the difference between various drum kits? Sure. So I have way more posts in the gear section.

I've seen General come close once, like within 50, but Drum Gear is usually more active.

You either have gear, or are considering getting some, or really curious about it is the reality. Gear is easily attainable. I can have the same drum gear as anyone.

Gear is easily attainable. I can have the same drum gear as anyone.

Yep.

Gear is a directly obtainable physical manifestation of the romantic ideal of the concept in question. Doesn't matter if you're a drummer, a car buff, a hi-fi aficionado, whatever.

Never confuse the gear with what you're trying to achieve by using said gear.

I have noticed. I've also noticed that most of the people who raise the issue of no one posting in the technique sub-forum, never seem to post there themselves.

Not a dig, just an observation. I'm an avid reader and pretty regular poster there. As you've noted, there's always room for more. Don't be shy. The more the merrier.

i've been on here 3 yrs and have never looked at those details. i mostly just go to 'new posts'.

as noted above 'gear' is easy to write about, or ask about.

This is because they are deperately wanting my advice on cymbals, since I know it all. Joking!

I actually have noticed more people on the gear forum and more on the cymbal forum amongst that.

Back