Beat displacement, dotted notes and Gavin Harrison's Rhythmic Illusions

Hi all, hope you guys are doing good.

First off im COMPLETELY new to the concept of beat displacement and i intend to start off the book Rhythmic Illusions by Gavin Harrison.
Please bare with me as im going to be asking ALOT of questions here in order clear my concepts (i tried searching but couldnt find anything that clears things up)

So, first things first, what iv learnt the dotted note is (correct me on this one as well if im wrong) that it results in the EXTENSION of time of the next note played by half the note value. So say, if we had a 1 & (bass drum at 1 and &) and a dotted note after te first bass drum hit, then the second bass drum (at &) would be stretched by half the note value and be played at 'a'. So it would be 1 (e) (&) a. Bass drum bbeing hit at 1 and a.
This i my understanding of the dotted note.

Coming towards beat displacement and its relation to the dotted note, what i get (high chance that im wrong here) is that the dotted note works as a loop provider, means it helps to diplace the bass drum hit right after it; so everytime a loop is repeated the bass drum after the dotted note is displaced by a certain amount as the time for the bass drum keeps expandiing with each loop or each bar. Is that right?

OR is the bass drum only displaced once OR is the bass drum displaced twice or i dont knw how many times...

And lik i said before while understanding this concept clearly please bare as it is a bit confusing so far... But i love te way it sounds when i hear people like gavin harrison play it. ...
P.S. please pardon any typos as im on my cell right now. Thanks

In music theory, if you put a dot on a note, it extends the value of that note by 50% of itself.

So a dotted crotchet beat (or quarter note) will be counted as 1.5 beats.
Or a dotted quaver (or 8th note) will be worth 3 16th notes (or .75 of a beat)

A dotted 8th note played repeatedly on the bass drum will have a loop effect because it will go over the bar line and resolve in 3 bars. It might also be referred to as a 3/16th pattern. The dot itself doesn't serve to loop anything.

It doesn't have any direct relation to beat displacement, but when you write notation for displaced beats you might use a dotted note where previously you didn't.

Dots.png

I'm lost !!

as far as i could understand after EXTENSIVE research on the internet, i found out that dot after a note effects the note AFTER that and does not ADD another note after the dotted note.

as per the image you attached, it is adding another note when the dotted 8th is used; which baffle me.

in the new breed, melody II - A (for instance) the 3rd note, i read it as 3 (e) (&) a (basically 3 - - a) !!! as as i am extending by half the value of an 8th note, that is a 16th note extension, so instead of 3 & , i'm reading 3 - - a.. !!://

P.S if i'm wrong on this one then i have practicing the new breed wrong for the past whole year :((( i did extensive research upon dotted notes before starting off though, i hope i have not been playing it wrong

No, you're confused. That diagram just shows you what the dotted note in the column on the left is worth (e.g a dotted half note is worth 3 quarter notes, or a half note + a quarter note). It's the same as what I said basically, it's still only one note, the dot makes it longer.

No, you're confused. That diagram just shows you what the dotted note in the column on the left is worth (e.g a dotted half note is worth 3 quarter notes, or a half note + a quarter note). It's the same as what I said basically, it's still only one note, the dot makes it longer.

oh okay, thats exactly what i understand of it :) thank GOD :p

Thanks Arky, i'll surely look into the thread and the DVD as well (if i could buy it) :)

Back