Painting a metal snare

N

nhzoso

has anyone ever spray painted a metal snare drum. It's an old beat up metal snare with no name on it so it's probably something like a CB, Gammon, stagg or DW... J/K I know gammons are good : )

Anyway can you spray paint these or will it just fall off or not even adhere to it? Looks to be steel but it is a little lighter than my supra..

It came as part of a beat up PDP EZ kit I bought as a secondary kit but the kit has a matching red snare so I doubt it is a pdp.

I could post a pic but you have probably seen a ton of these.

Are you talking the shell only? It can be cleaned and prepped for paint like Rustoleum for metal. The lugs etc is another story.

Yes the shell only, I was going to remove the lugs and paint them too but maybe I should just clean them up. They seem to made of the same material as the shell but I am not sure, what makes it so hard to prep and paint them?

What about the hoops? They look pretty ratty too and I was thinking of painting them as well with a rustoleum black , the stuff thats made for repainting grills is what I have in mind.

Yes the shell only, I was going to remove the lugs and paint them too but maybe I should just clean them up. They seem to made of the same material as the shell but I am not sure, what makes it so hard to prep and paint them?

What about the hoops? They look pretty ratty too and I was thinking of painting them as well with a rustoleum black , the stuff thats made for repainting grills is what I have in mind.

It's going to be all about the prep work making sure it's clean from dirt grime and anything that won't let the paint adhere. You'll need to prime it first then paint.

As for the rims the minute you start doing rim shots that paint is going to start chipping off.

Check posts by forum member gwaco (??.....hope the spelling's correct there).

He refurbed and painted up an old Acro, from memory.

Thanks for posting that. Went through and looked up Gwaco's (yes that's the correct spelling) threads and now I'm in inspired to pick up a beat up Acro and refurb it. These guys sound great for the money and they're like the strat of snares, everywhere.

Hey!

If you're still looking for ideas on repainting that snare, you should Google for tutorials on how to paint cars. Like konaboy said, it's all about the prep work. There's a product called Aircraft Remover that's excellent for ensuring a clean metal surface (no wax or residue of any kind) before you start primering.

Thinking of auto body repair got me thinking about PDP's Rat Rod snare and that flat black finish. Have you decided on a color scheme yet?

Back