Playing in multiple bands

I was in three original bands until recently.

It wasn't too much of a chore musically as I'd put aside time in the days leading up to a gig/studio date/rehearsal to prepeare and run through the songs/demos to ensure there were no transition issues - one was a folk band, the second was a rock band and the third is an Indie/Alternative band so all different styles and each band needed/wanted something different from the drums.

The biggest issue for me was being away from home most weekends trying to fit it all in (none of them were based in the town we live in, one was over 260km away for example).

My other half is an absolute saint when it comes to my drumming bless her but it did start to cause a strain to our relationship. Thankfully on that note two of the bands are currently on indefinite hiatus so we have more time together. There are still issues when things get busy but a lot less than before.

If you feel you can spread yourself out like that go for it, it'll give you lots of playing time and hopefully lots of experience. I loved it for that as it was a very rich musical period I still look fondly back on.

Just be mindful of partners/family/friends needs. They are the ones that'll still be there for you when the bands have ended, if you balance it right.

I currently play in two bands, and one acoustic duo. I love it. The scheduling works in my case, as the guitar player is in all three as well, and he does the bookings.

I love playing different material, different styles, and playing with different musicians. And working!

being "in a band" period is basically musical suicide

having been involved in every possible musical situation I can say from the bottom of my heart that the absolute best situation for your sanity, creativity, and economic status is to be a free floating entity

play with as many people as possible while committing yourself to none

^ A pro talking like a pro on how to be a pro. Very wise words sir!

You'll meet far better musicians as a hired gun and make better contacts and opportunities from there.

^ A pro talking like a pro on how to be a pro. Very wise words sir!

You'll meet far better musicians as a hired gun and make better contacts and opportunities from there.

I really wish I could be like this, but pickins is slim around here. I try to do this, but my phone isn't exactly ringing off the hook.

I really wish I could be like this, but pickins is slim around here. I try to do this, but my phone isn't exactly ringing off the hook.

Neither is mine and pickings ain't great here either hence why I'm at my day job :), but even as a weekend warrior like me you have to grab the best opportunity that comes your way with both hands.

It's nigh on impossible to do that without really ruffling feathers in an original band who don't get what really being a paid musician is. It starts getting personal. I've been in that situation, they just don't understand.

It's nigh on impossible to do that without really ruffling feathers in an original band who don't get what really being a paid musician is. It starts getting personal. I've been in that situation, they just don't understand.

I tell everyone that I play with that I'm pretty much a "band wh0re." In other words, I'll play with just about any band out there who's working as long as they have some sense of morality and if the money is decent. I go into every group with this disclaimer. And I also tell them that if I end up playing with another group and they need a fill-in musician, I may be hitting one of them up to see if they are interested. I'm not loyal to one band; I'm loyal to the one who gets me the gig first, especially if there is money involved.

Back