What do I buy and do?

Hello all,
My post has 2 parts that I need help with. I would love to hear some opinions...
First of all I would like to compliment you with the trouble and time you are taking planning how to play the drums. Your new neighbors should be happy with you!

On the A en E-kit topic, my $.02: I live in a detached house and own both an E-kit (Roland TD-9) and A-kit (Gretsch Renown). I started with the E-kit 10 years ago and wanted to develop further and play in a band (which all seemed to dislike E drums) so I got an A-kit as well.

About the difference: yes, acoustic is different than electronic. I also prefer acoustic. That being said, it is 2018 and electronics drums have there place and are a better choice for some. Choose whatever you like best and play those. Or both!

I have both kits set up in a not too big bedroom on the 1st floor. It has some acoustic foam but more for sound treatment than isolation.
The closest house is about 8 mtr apart. I know they and other people nearby can hear me play the A-kit because of some remarks but nobody ever complained. That being said, I don't play after 8 PM and usually not before 1 PM. The downside is it gets pretty hot in that small room as I do close the door and windows to lower the sound travelling outward. There is no A/C, it would be possible but at considerable costs.

So that has been a reason for me to try out Sound Off, Silent Stroke, RTOM and SuperPad and low volume cymbals. The SuperPad for the kick is great and they are also nice on toms. I have an RTOM on the snare, I like that it is tunable. I can play with windows and door open at low volume and it still feels near acoustics. If I want to go normal volume, I take off the pads and switch the cymbals, just a matter of minutes.

BTW: the remarks about people working and thereby defining a time frame where you can play without bothering anyone is somewhat shortsighted in my opinion, it depends very much where you live. People over here also work in hospitals and catering at night, doing nightshifts, etc, so not 9 to 5. My girlfriend does.

The advice about being open with it to your new neighbors is excellent.
The worse you make them believe it to be, the better it (probably) will be - especially when you have taken precautions.

Good luck.

Eric

I just want to play a couple hours per day. I don't agree with an ekit giving feel and dynamics. If anything, I see it as opposite of that. I tried some full size ekits and none of them felt real. The size and feel was weird. What I did like though was the ability to play a ton of different kits while not bothering anybody. But other than that, I think it's a deal breaker. I think for me an acoustic kit with muted cymbals and some sound reduction heads like Superpads will do it for me. I can also add triggers if I want to experiment with ekit stuff.

My sense is that you will never be happy until you own an ekit. Ekits are different from acoustic kits, but they have some advantages such as a wide selection of sound samples and volume control. I say get both an ekit and acoustic kit.

FWIW, when I had a situation where I had to consider the neighbors, I was really surprised to hear when one neighbor liked to hear me play.

If you could somehow get your drums in the basement (if you have one)...That automatically reduces the sound considerably. I would lobby hard for that.

Or just seize it, and let the chips fall where they may. It's for the greater good. Use the other room for the basement stuff, it's much quieter to store stuff upstairs, than to drum upstairs.

Drumming upstairs is the worst possible situation for keeping things quiet.

There are practice pad sets. Peace and goodwill.

Back