Anyone own a Mapex Pro-M Rock kit?

if someone owns a pro m rock kit, what kind of heads do you use? they are pretty big shells...the mapex site says i should have a 13x something rack tom and it is most certainly 14''...its a discontinued kit i think. its got remo ut's on there now so anything will be better i'd suppose. i have to have like THREE moon gels on my snare to make it sound alright to me....i'd like to not have to have them there....any thoughts on good heads for batter and reso?

peace,
JG

if someone owns a pro m rock kit, what kind of heads do you use? they are pretty big shells...the mapex site says i should have a 13x something rack tom and it is most certainly 14''...its a discontinued kit i think. its got remo ut's on there now so anything will be better i'd suppose. i have to have like THREE moon gels on my snare to make it sound alright to me....i'd like to not have to have them there....any thoughts on good heads for batter and reso?

peace,
JG

What are remo Uts?????

Hi
I play a pro m rock kit. 24"x 18" bass, 13" x !0" top tom, 16" x 16" and 18" x 16" floor toms. My snare is a Premier Artiste brass 14" x 6.5".
I keep the originale snare as a spare.
Remo clear Emporor batters and Ambassodor reso's on all toms. Powersonic 4 batter head and Ebony reso on the bass. The snare has a Emporor coated controlled batter head and an Evans hazy snare head.
The supplied heads are not worth bothering with and I strongly suggest you change all of the heads as soon as you can afford it. Only then will you hear the drums full potential. These heads make the kit really sing and a pleasure to lay.
There are many combinations of batters and reso's to try, this combo suits me and the music I play.
Hope this has been of help.
Skunk.

Hi
I play a pro m rock kit. 24"x 18" bass, 13" x !0" top tom, 16" x 16" and 18" x 16" floor toms. My snare is a Premier Artiste brass 14" x 6.5".
I keep the originale snare as a spare.
Remo clear Emporor batters and Ambassodor reso's on all toms. Powersonic 4 batter head and Ebony reso on the bass. The snare has a Emporor coated controlled batter head and an Evans hazy snare head.
The supplied heads are not worth bothering with and I strongly suggest you change all of the heads as soon as you can afford it. Only then will you hear the drums full potential. These heads make the kit really sing and a pleasure to play.
There are many combinations of batters and reso's to try, this combo suits me and the music I play.
Hope this has been of help.
Skunk.
Sorry to post again, I meant PLAY not LAY!
I love my kit, but not that much!.

Hi
I play a pro m rock kit. 24"x 18" bass, 13" x !0" top tom, 16" x 16" and 18" x 16" floor toms. Skunk.

man i dont know if i got a odd ball kit but i swear that my top tom is 14...i can put my 14'' noble n' cooley tone ring on it fine....wouldnt that be a solid example to lead me to believe that its a 14'' not a 13''? have you tried a powerstroke 3 on the kick cause thats what i was looking at...and yes, the ut's...to my tastes do suck.

peace,
JG

i will just measure it out i guess...i just figured that if a 14'' ring fit in it the same way that it fit in the , for sure, 14'' snare...then yah....but whatev...i'm just happy to have a kit now anyhow. been too long.

peace,
JG

Hi JG
I played a powerstroke 3 on my Pearl Masters 22" bass drum and it was fine.
If you want to try one of those I am sure you would be pleased with it.
Skunk.

I have a Pro-M Rock and currently
i only do not use the 18x16 Floor Tom...

Anyways, I Use Response 2 Coated on my 13x10 Tom Tom and 16x16 Floor Tom.
For Snare, EC Snare and for Bass, Force I.

So far, I really dislike the stock Remo's (I can live with the snare only...) and i feel like bashing them!!

Anyways, i love the warm sounds of the Response 2's and what not. Good luck with choosing some heads ya like!

Btw, how do you guys deal with the Tom Tom, setup wise....
or can i see a picture of your setup?

Last edited:
Btw, how do you guys deal with the Tom Tom, setup wise....
or can i see a picture of your setup?

I found that this is the most ergonomic position for my tastes. :)

100_1516.jpg

Hi
I play a pro m rock kit. 24"x 18" bass, 13" x !0" top tom, 16" x 16" and 18" x 16" floor toms.

could you do me a favor and drop a 14'' tone ring on your 13'' tom and see if it fits because i just re-checked tonight and it fits EXACTLY like it does on my 14'' snare. lol...i'm boggling my own mind here guys...more like pickling. i just dont want to buy a 14'' rack tom head and figure out its a f'n 13''...think it would be most safe to go with the , company provided, stock specs of a 13'' rack tom and buy accordingly?

peace,
JG

because thats too good of an idea dude. lol....no seriously, great idea. thank you. I mean yes thats obvious, BUT, my brain seems to want to focus on the fact that if its a 13'' drum then how the devil can i put that 14'' ring on it? my math isnt that good but even that doesnt add up to me.

so you did mean powerstroke? i'm ordering them after midnight tonight...powersonic seems to be quite different....much love for the words of help!

so i finally picked out new heads...i was second guessing myself like crazy! lol

Coated Emporer's on tom batter
Clear Ambassador's on tom reso
Coated powerstroke 3 on kick batter
Ebony Ambassador with the 5'' port on kick reso
Coated Emporer X on snare batter
Ambassador medium on snare reso

....i'm got about 40 bucks left and i'm thinking about putting some puresound equalizer snares on there....the 16 strand one...i have a stock 20 strand on there now...

Hi JG
The kit will love you for it.
Before you spend dollars on the snare wire try the drum as it is but tune it up good and tight with the new heads.
I am sure you will be very pleasantly surprised.
Skunk.

Back