Famous Metal drummers?

neksss1

i have been curious about one thing i just can't seem to find any famous drummer that uses double pedal and not use triggers,so please somebody help me!!

They use double bass drum not double bass pedal

A lot of metal and hard rock drummers have two bass drums. I can only think of two drummers off the top of my head who play double pedal on one bass and those are Matt Cameron of Soundgarden and Neil Peart. Actually, and I may be mistaken, I think Shannon Larkin of Godsmack does too.

I don't see why this is an issue but Brann Dailor of Mastodon.

Very odd question indeed.
Having the huge double bass kit is part and parcel of the metal visual experience as far as I'm concerned so I'm not sure why any "big name" metal drummer (who actually uses double bass) would opt for a smaller kit with a single bass drum and double pedal.
It's not like they're the ones who have to set up the kit or stage space is an issue...

They're out there. I know Away from Voivod and Steve Flynn from Atheist.

I also just found this interview with Flynn:
Q: By the way, do you use triggers?
A: I have never used triggers and don’t plan on it, though it would make my job MUCH easier if I did.

I think that's pretty interesting, because he does some really complex stuff. toddmc is right tho, having two bass drums can be part of the "look" of the music, but there are always exceptions. They both have small kits, too.

Edit:

I just remembered the drummers for Haken, Leprous, Cult of Luna (tho double pedal is uncommon), Isis and Intronaut use double pedals and don't use triggers (at least, I'm pretty sure). Triggers seem to be most prevalent with tech-death bands and prog bands, but even then it's not written in stone. These drummers aren't super famous, but these bands are somewhat well-known in their respective genres. Any particular reason why you're asking?

Last edited:
Drummer from Devildriver and new guy in Sepultura........

sorry, can't be arsed to look up their names

A famous metal drummer..... hmmm I think he appeared on an Alan Parsons album.

He got head billing indeed he was called...... I Robot ..... given how early it appeared im pretty sure it was a metal robot unlike its belgian synthetic friend "Plastic Bertrand"

Current producer Will.I.Am represents the wishes of superseded metal drummers, and those drummers who played for Spinal Tap.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW6W9iOjTKM&feature=kp

As for those who used triggers the only one I know preceded Budy Rich etc....his name was Roy and he he used Rogers kits...indeed he was one of the early endorsed tub thumpers and was simply known as "Roy Rogers". Not only was he endorsed he had voiced actuated drums..... those in the front seats at the stadium used to hear him shout " Hi Ho Trigger..Away"

Dale Crover of the Melvins
Ben Koller of Converge
Tim Alexander of Primus
Travis Owen of Weedeater
Paul O'Neill of Conan
Tim Latona of Botch
Various drummers for Today Is The Day
That guy in Systems of a Down

I think the genre of "metal" overall, has it's trends. I think the are bands that want to project the full-on metal image including a full double bass kit as well as a wall of amps. You probably will not see a Slayer show with Kerry King using one full stack and whatever drummer they hired come out with a four piece kit. Even if Kerry is only using one or two cabs with the rest being dummy cabs. Same with Deicide, Behemoth, Obituary, etc, etc.

And many of the drummers that I cited, don't pump straight double bass the whole time, but pepper it in with double pedals. From a practical standpoint, it can be a pain in the ass to move big double bass kits, get them set up for the gig and take them down to make way for the next band. It becomes a real handful. Touring bands need to consider these types of things when loading up vans and trailers. Because most bands don't have huge tour buses and an army of roadies to schlep their crap around.

I still have my first really nice nine piece double bass Tama Granstar kit. Would I play it out? Probably not. I haven't in ages. I play a four-piece kit, (with double pedal), these days and really dig it.

Jason Costa formerly of Diecast and of All That Remains plays a double pedal with a single bass. Also one of the few trad grip metal drummers.

He and Diecast rehearsed in the room next to me in Boston..the band literally shook the room, I couldn't hear the bass drum or floor tom sometimes. Or anything else really. lol

OP has only 3 posts so might be trolling...........

double pedal or 2 drums really makes no difference. visually yes. but more guys use a double pedal as its easier to setup. quicker. less to bring with... and tuning 2 drums is no fun.

it was big in the 80/90's to use 2 drums. but double pedals were not as big.

also.. triggers are the sound of this century/generation.(for metal) most bands do it weather live or recording. love em or lip up.. they arn't going anywhere.

I've seen many metal drummers nowadays using Pearl Demon Drive/Chain double pedals with another bass drum only for the looks and to keep the slave pedal more steady.

It's funny how the definition of metal has changed over the years. I was going through mo old Modern Drummer magazines and the January 1995 issue had an article entitled "Metal Drummers Round Table". It featured Deen Castronovo, Mike Portnoy, Mark Zonder, Bobby Rock, Eric Singer, and John Tempesta.

I've seen a lot of Metal guys use a double pedal while still having a 2nd bass drum set up just for looks. Tommy Lee, Samantha Maloney (while playing with crue), Joey Jordison (though he used triggers too). Glen Sobel (Alice Cooper).

Bunch of others as well. Someone already said Shannon Larkin, both he and Sully Erna are 1 kick with a double pedal guys.

Roy Mayorga (Stone Sour)
Morgan Rose (Sevedust). He did use triggers for a long time, but I think I read someplace a while back that he stopped.

Back