Weirdest thing you've used as a throne?

Bootz

So I finally bought my first throne today, after four years of drumming on a beat-up old swivel chair that I took the back off of.

First of all, this throne is so much more comfortable and I feel like I can concentrate on my drumming and not how to stop myself from rolling backwards.

Second, this got me thinking "Whats the strangest thing someone has used for a throne?" I had a friend who used a dinner chair with one of those chair donuts on it for a while. Then I know another guy who used a step stool with a pillow on it.

So what have you used in place of a throne?

A wooden beer bottle crate.
This pic is of me in the early 70s,

Attachments

• 18939_102854479743198_100000559383408_77092_6587135_n.jpg
    18939_102854479743198_100000559383408_77092_6587135_n.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 464
So I finally bought my first throne today, after four years of drumming on a beat-up old swivel chair that I took the back off of.

First of all, this throne is so much more comfortable and I feel like I can concentrate on my drumming and not how to stop myself from rolling backwards.

Second, this got me thinking "Whats the strangest thing someone has used for a throne?" I had a friend who used a dinner chair with one of those chair donuts on it for a while. Then I know another guy who used a step stool with a pillow on it.

So what have you used in place of a throne?

I did the same thing as you. except instead of me taking the back off, the back had already fallen off. It was that crappy haha!

Getting a comfortable throne is a great investment :D

As crappy as some of them have been, I've always planted my arse on a throne. I have been at a gig where a guy was using two milk crates and a folded towel though.....it cannot have been comfortable.

I always used a kitchen stool until 87. I only bought a proper throne last year for the first time.

I don't even know why I stuck with that crappy non-adjustable stool for so long - I guess I got attached to it. No doubt a major factor was my natural inclination towards profound stupidity as well ...

I think that I used that stupid beer crate for about 4 years. I actually liked it and I thought that It was cool!
I didn't buy a throne until I bought my Gretsch kit in 74.

Something about sitting on a wooden box.... It doesn't seem that pleasing to me.

I once used my drum throne to put my practice pad on, and used my ordinary chair as a throne. Was too lazy to get my snare stand for the pad...wasn't a smart idea.

I had a cool set up for a while where my computer was right behind my drums, so I just used my computer chair as a throne. Maybe not weird, but not a standard throne. It worked pretty well.

Something about sitting on a wooden box.... It doesn't seem that pleasing to me.

I put a 2 inch thick foam pad on it and I tied it with string. LOL!

One of these without the back...Many years ago.

Attachments

• reg-131032.jpg
    reg-131032.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 450
I left my throne at home one time for a gig. I send the wife to go grab it, but we had to go on before she got back. At the last minute I realized she was not coming in time so I used my bass drum hard case as a throne for a few songs. It was a little low and definitely not pleasing on the derrier, but it worked.

Like a sore tail bone and *shudder* splinters :)

Then again, drum thrones aren't exactly executive chairs ... think of Wy's tale with the razor blades *shudders again*

These days I prefer to be kind to my hindquarters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlDpMKBGo18&feature=related

This video makes me smile. Look at what he's sitting on, there's just something so punk rock about that.
Yeah, that's a cool throne. 109,000 views, wow.

Anyhow, I've used a few things in the past. I forgot my throne at a gig, many years ago (how?), so I used my hard kick drum case. A bit high, but the only thing available. Not comfortable.

In the dim & distant past, I used a low horizontal bow of a tree. I brought my kit to a hedonistic weekend jam camp. The site was on such a slope, that the throne was useless. I did manage to level the kit though, with large rocks & pieces of wooden planks.

until my pop got a new throne for his drum set he used a huge stack of old penthouses duct taped together, it still didnt make his playing any sexyer.

Back