Can any Bassists help me? (or Guitar Tech's?)

VladTheLad

Hey guys,
I'm looking for some Bassist or Guitar Tech (or even just someone who has the answer to my question!!)

I'm about to buy a bass, and I'm wanting to use it mainly for a Misfits Tribute Band that I'm starting (just need a drummer haha).
I'm wondering which pickups I should buy to replace the stock ones with.

I've looked into just buying a Jerry Only or Doyle Sig Bass, but tbh, I'd rather make my own instead of getting a custom made one (£600[Production]-£3500[Handmade]) because it will personally be mine, and it won't cost too much.
Also, Oktober Guitars aren't/haven't released Doyle's Annihilator/DevilWing Pickups yet.

For those that don't know, The Misfits is a Horror-Punk band, and so I'm looking to get a Horror-Punk sound.

I'm guessing you'll need to know which guitar I'm going to be rebuilding too?
That'll be a Stagg XB-300-GBK.

Is there any other essentials that I should look into?...
Like, How does the Bridge affect the sound and playing?
What are some recommended strings (I know that should be my own choice)?
Should I replace the Tone Circuit?
And any recommended amps?

Thanks a lot for anyone who replies :)

This might seem like a stupid idea to some of you, but I'm definitely set on this tribute band, and I'm gonna do anything to pull it off.

I don't think you're on to a stupid idea, but if you're so set on it, wouldn't it be easier to just find out what the real bass player plays and just get that? After you factor all your labor costs into building what you want, I'm sure you would've spent enough to buy his rig, no?

I don't think you're on to a stupid idea, but if you're so set on it, wouldn't it be easier to just find out what the real bass player plays and just get that? After you factor all your labor costs into building what you want, I'm sure you would've spent enough to buy his rig, no?

Haha, you'd think wouldn't you?.. But no, if I were to buy his stuff (all of their instruments are Custom Hand-Made) then I'd say that would end up costing me well over a grand.. At least.
If I had that amount of money then it would be going on that Custom Snare that I wanted haha, so I'm sticking on a budget here.

I've looked into some EMG's and Seymour Duncan's and some of them aren't actually as dear as I expected.. It would only cost around £300 to fully build one, and because I'll be doing it bit by bit, I don't need to spend lots of money that I don't have in one go.

Is there any other essentials that I should look into?...
Like, How does the Bridge affect the sound and playing?
What are some recommended strings (I know that should be my own choice)?
Should I replace the Tone Circuit?
And any recommended amps?

From what I'm looking at, Jerry Only uses dual split-coil (P-style) pickups in his basses, that will give you some definite low-end. I recommend not skimping on these (or the bridge); buy premium pickups and bridges for the most tone from the instrument. Having said that, Jerry simply runs his signal full-on from the bass, he hasn't got a volume or tone knob on it at all.

He's running an Acoustic head as a pre-amp into Ampeg SVT amps and cabinets - very easy-to-find stuff, available at most any halfway serious music stores. His strings are Rotosound roundwounds, again very typical and easy to find. I personally play and like DR's Black Beauties, more for the feel than for the looks, although a horror-punk bassist might appreciate having black strings.

Good luck with your project!

Why are you looking for bassists on a drum forum?

Because i'm mainly a drummer, but I also play bass too.. Also, this is a dedicated forum to me, I love this forum and all the help I get from it. Considering many people play 2 or more instruments aswell, I'd thought I'd ask on here, just incase..

Back