Donnie Darco Fans

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Will you go to see the S.Darco film coming out? It was not directed or was there any involvement by the original director Richard Kelly but I have read that the director for this one was a a fan. It deals with Donnie's sister Samantha. I guess I won't be able to resist and careful not to compare. I prefer the original cut of Donnie Darco over the directors cut as I like the tempo and feel of it more. Did any one else prefer the original version?

Funny that, just on sunday i bought the "Mad world" singles from some market thingy in an old RAF base in lincolnshire. Great song. The film was amazing, real weird though. I've seen it like 5 or 6 times before i started to really understand the plot, mind you i was only like 12 when it came out so that's probably something to do with it :)

That's interesting abut the new film. Wasn't his sister played by that girl whos in that new CGI film or whatever it is?

I like the film very much, so intriguing. A little dark though. But I am unaware of any alternate (director's cut) versions.
I will definitely see the new film when it comes out, my girlfriend probably will want to go too - she loved the film more than I did.

Funny that, just on sunday i bought the "Mad world" singles from some market thingy in an old RAF base in lincolnshire. Great song. The film was amazing, real weird though. I've seen it like 5 or 6 times before i started to really understand the plot, mind you i was only like 12 when it came out so that's probably something to do with it :)

That's interesting abut the new film. Wasn't his sister played by that girl whos in that new CGI film or whatever it is?

What I liked about it was that even though the director has elaborated on the plot (Time vortex's and such) the movie still had the ability to leave you wondering, as if it had not resolved itself completely. After many viewings I still have a sense of wonder. There certainly is a sense that Donnie is up against some evil. Here is a link that will take you to the actor who plays Samantha in both films.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0153738/
The directors cut is more revealing of the time traveling aspect but the original still has that quality that lets you supply the other hand as it were.(Zen). In the scene at the movie house notice that the 2 movies playing are Dawn of the Dead & The Last Temptation of Christ, plenty of allegories.

I like the film very much, so intriguing. A little dark though. But I am unaware of any alternate (director's cut) versions.
I will definitely see the new film when it comes out, my girlfriend probably will want to go too - she loved the film more than I did.

The directors cut is quite long and much more elaborate, as well the music is changed up.
The original's music played better to the various scenes, Killing Moon is the original in the opening scene and is changed to INXS "Never Tear us Apart;" I found "Killing Moon" more haunting and a better setup. When they all pile out of the bus at school (sideways) the song is Tears for Fears " Head Over Heals" and we are introduced to every character in the film during that segment, including the girl he will be involved with. One note of interest; a very young Seth Rogen plays one of the high school thugs. The directors cut is actually easier to find now than the original, worth a watch if you would like to be more aware of the intricacies of Donnie's role in setting time back to normal. I would have loved to have seen this film on the big screen.

Back