DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: So is ANYONE capable of drumming?

If one is:

1) Willing to do the work
2) Has a capable teacher.

then.....................

YES
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 PM

Re: So is ANYONE capable of drumming?

NO. As a matter of fact I have met many a person who called them selves drummers, that were also not capable of drumming.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 AM
Silver Member

No, even with my limited teaching experience (3 years) i have come across people that dont have rhythm. They cant find the offbeat, tried everything, and even if there were other stuff to......if they were meant to do it, it would'nt be that hard for them. All these guys are gifted with a small gift at least, and it is gift. Maybe there is something influences ones abilty to feel rhythm as they grow up, we are maybe all born equal, but these people still exist, ones with rhythm, ones without.

To play as good as Dave Wekc is now!

1 he practises like a MOFO, still does, i heard his wife left him cause he was allways woodsheding.

2 - you need the essentials, some natural rhythm, some reflexe etc.

You have to start earlyish. I fully believe that your relexes develop better when you are younger.

I think in life you should accept what you good, try and find it and roll with it. Dont beat your head against a wall.

The question which bugs me as a teacher, is how many people are walking around with this gift they havent found yet. See so many guys banging their keys on the desk at petrol stations etc, im like you drum??.....well you should mate!

Im sorry to all the try hards......everyone can learn for sure, but not everyone can be as good dave wekcl. Anyone with the gift and the love, for the love is more important, you really have to love music to achieve that kinda greatness, cuase you have to be willing to neglect your friends and your loved ones, anyone who differs is not as good as dave weckl and doesnt spend enough ignoring his wife so he can play drums.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

I'm with Sam on this.
Most people can probably "learn" to play the drums, but being a good drummer is a gift.
I believe you can learn most things, up to a certain level, but gifted people take any activity to a level that most can only marvel at.
I don't think you can teach musical creativity. The inbuilt ability to come up with something different that fits the situation and makes the whole piece sound better.
The best just have that gift. What to leave out is as important as what you put into a song. Someone once said that music is the space between the notes. Too many drummers try to fill every space, me included sometimes.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Gold Member

I asked Arthur Hull this very question. (Arthur is the grandfather of modern drum circles.)

Arthur believed we all have natural rhythm inside of us (our hearts beat after all!) He said if someone is having difficulty finding the beat, he will put his hand on their shoulder and tap to the beat of the rhythm. This helps the student find the beat. He has taught and facilitated thousands of drummers so he has some credibility to what he says.

GJS
Old 09-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulmoski View Post
I asked Arthur Hull this very question. (Arthur is the grandfather of modern drum circles.)

Arthur believed we all have natural rhythm inside of us (our hearts beat after all!) He said if someone is having difficulty finding the beat, he will put his hand on their shoulder and tap to the beat of the rhythm. This helps the student find the beat. He has taught and facilitated thousands of drummers so he has some credibility to what he says.
He sounds like an especially insightful teacher, capable of drawing out talent that would remain hidden in the hands of most teachers. To be able to work out where the deeper inner blocks of students lie and know how to release those blocks is a special skill and not all that common. People can talk to psychiatrists for years without breaking through their blocks.

Obviously not everyone can be a world standard drummer, no more than anyone can learn to be a brain surgeon, win the Booker prize, or run 100 metres in under 10 seconds. And, as Matthias said, it's not just the physical skill but the understanding of music and good taste.

To borrow and Orwellism ... all animals are equal but some are more equal than others ...
Old 09-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Silver Member

Some may think this is off base, but from what I've seen/heard/learned... someone can be really into drums because they think drums are cool, and go for it, and learn some pretty cool stuff, and practice practice practice... but sometimes the gifting is where the feeling comes from. I believe music is a soul-nurturing experience, something that comes from deep within. You can have a desire but if it doesn't reach to the soul of who you are and what you want to accomplish, you may not reach that extra 10% of making a great performance incredible.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulmoski View Post

GJS

You could argue that If you need to be shown where the beat is you will never make a drummer. Surely, to all drummers, young or old, the beat is natural, an instinct.
I, like most, when I taught myself to play the drums on pots and pans, literally, knew the beat instinctively. I could probably do with some lessons now, to help with some complex stuff, but to find a beat? No, and I am no pro standard drummer.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

I have really been been thinking about this question because it makes me think of school and competition so I decided to ask my dad about it when skypeing last night. My dad is an anthropologist which I know doesn't directly relate to this question but heciscalso really smart with alot of human nature stuff. He said:

"well if rhythm is proved to be a genetic trait then it sure would be the first of it's kind. Usually partially genetic traits such as alcoholism involve intense chemical reactions in the body. I would look at the early life experiences of people and try to determine if they will make good drummers or musicians. I would suspect parents that listened to SEAL or whoever else on the weekends while cooking breakfast for the family would go on to raise very rhythmic children, much more rhythmic than the parents that watched the news while cooking on a weekend."

Just another opinion. Is there really a chance that people are born with rhythm skills? I donno but I'm skeptical because when we have these god given talented 6 year old drummers they are always accompanied with hours of daily practice from like 2 years old. Always.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhopper316 View Post
I have really been been thinking about this question because it makes me think of school and competition so I decided to ask my dad about it when skypeing last night. My dad is an anthropologist which I know doesn't directly relate to this question but heciscalso really smart with alot of human nature stuff. He said:

"well if rhythm is proved to be a genetic trait then it sure would be the first of it's kind. Usually partially genetic traits such as alcoholism involve intense chemical reactions in the body. I would look at the early life experiences of people and try to determine if they will make good drummers or musicians. I would suspect parents that listened to SEAL or whoever else on the weekends while cooking breakfast for the family would go on to raise very rhythmic children, much more rhythmic than the parents that watched the news while cooking on a weekend."

Just another opinion. Is there really a chance that people are born with rhythm skills? I donno but I'm skeptical because when we have these god given talented 6 year old drummers they are always accompanied with hours of daily practice from like 2 years old. Always.
Hi Zak.
I was not suggesting people were born with drumming technique, merely a sense of rhythm.
Technique is something you add to the basic sense of timing, by practice. I still believe the best exponents of any pursuit are born, not made.
Most people can get better at most things by repetition, or practice if you like, but the truly
talented are just that. Different.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Hi Zak.
I was not suggesting people were born with drumming technique, merely a sense of rhythm.
Technique is something you add to the basic sense of timing, by practice. I still believe the best exponents of any pursuit are born, not made.
Most people can get better at most things by repetition, or practice if you like, but the truly
talented are just that. Different.
I agree with you. In my opinion there are only few people blessed with extraordinary talent, they will surely become popular. We can not get every thing by practise unless we have talent. If you have talent and by practising it will be more powerful and helpful to became a successful person in that particular field.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

of course! i would even debate whether people have skill ceilings... imo it just depends how much work you're willing to put in, and where you want to end up

if you can dance, you can drum!
if you can drum, you can't always dance

Last edited by toddy; 01-10-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Generaly, I would say yes, if you can walk, you can drum. :)

Again, generaly speaking, when a person walk, she/he does it at a steady pace, with evenly spaced steps, therefore, this action is a form of rythm, now not everyone and anyone are willing of learning drumming, but IMO, that's another subject. :))
Old 01-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

I heard a pro football coach say about a hall of fame player that if he had played up to his potential he never would have made the team. The guy had the desire and could take things up another step when needed.

Determination matters but if you are born with faulty genetics you can practice 15 hours a day and never achieve Tony Royster, Jr level when he was 11 years old.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
of course! i would even debate whether people have skill ceilings... imo it just depends how much work you're willing to put in, and where you want to end up
I would say of course not. Speaking from personal experience, work will take you so far but I could never play like Roy Haynes or Jack DeJonette - to take just two drummers who are exceptional not for their technical mastery but because of their artistry - their musicality. And it is those qualities which make them great. I could no more play like that than I could paint like Picasso or write like Steinbeck.

Writing is a pretty good analogy actually. We can all write (spelling and grammar on this forum excepted) but very few can WRITE. Drumming's the same except fewer people have mastered the basic mechanics of it. We think because we can play a paradiddle that somehow we are drummers. Most of us are no more drummers than we are writers.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Songs View Post
We can all write (spelling and grammar on this forum excepted) but very few can WRITE. Drumming's the same except fewer people have mastered the basic mechanics of it. We think because we can play a paradiddle that somehow we are drummers. Most of us are no more drummers than we are writers.
Nice analogy and well said.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Songs View Post
I would say of course not. Speaking from personal experience, work will take you so far but I could never play like Roy Haynes or Jack DeJonette - to take just two drummers who are exceptional not for their technical mastery but because of their artistry - their musicality. And it is those qualities which make them great. I could no more play like that than I could paint like Picasso or write like Steinbeck.

Writing is a pretty good analogy actually. We can all write (spelling and grammar on this forum excepted) but very few can WRITE. Drumming's the same except fewer people have mastered the basic mechanics of it. We think because we can play a paradiddle that somehow we are drummers. Most of us are no more drummers than we are writers.
actually that's a pretty good point. i suppose some people do have a natural something about themselves when it comes to drumming. i'm not sure if it's technical ability though, i'd like to think it's more to do with metrenomes
Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

Anyone is capable of beating on a drum and being happy doing it. What do you consider drumming? I have known guys who loved to beat on drums. They never played with a band because they had no sense of time whatsoever. They had no concept of improvisation, and couldn't count to 4 evenly. Can anyone play the bassoon, cello, or flute? Why would drums be different if you consider them to be serious instruments?