Something New to Bang On

S

Stickit

Mapex Black Panther Big Cat 8x14 snare in a natural maple finish. This drum is very cool, it has two inner plys of walnut and four outer plys of maple, essentially the same shell they use on the Saturn line.

Attachments

• 08261958.jpg
    08261958.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 645
  • 08261941.jpg
    08261941.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 641
That looks awesome, love the finish. Any pics alongside the kit? At a glance, it looks like the finishes are pretty similar.

That looks awesome, love the finish. Any pics alongside the kit? At a glance, it looks like the finishes are pretty similar.

Thanks, I'll have some pics up by Saturday of the whole kit.

I have unofficially become a Mapex endorser, it was Ludwig and other vintage drums, but I'm on a new kick right now. All my Ludwig gear has been sold and Mapex is my latest flavor. I'm very picky when it comes to what sound I want, so for me to go from vintage Ludwigs to a modern Mapex says a ton about the quality and sound of Mapex drums.

I love my 5 1/2x14 Maple Panther, so I know that I will like this one.
My Drum Line girls will like it too!
They like everything that I like.

Here's a few pictures of the snare with the kit.

Attachments

• 08275848.jpg
    08275848.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 476
  • 08275830.jpg
    08275830.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Wow. I don't think I could play that drum. Being a small guy, I don't think I could get it down low enough to the floor. I might have to put floor toms legs on it....

Nice kit, too!

Wow. I don't think I could play that drum. Being a small guy, I don't think I could get it down low enough to the floor. I might have to put floor toms legs on it....

Nice kit, too!

Haha, you should buy a DW ballad snare :)
I really like those deep snares.

Bram

I got to tell ya, this snare drums is one of the best I've played. I used it for the first time last night at a gig in a fairly big club and it was superb! The whole kit is great, I'm sold on Mapex and I'm not just saying that because I got a Mapex kit. As a lot of you know, I've been playing vintage gear for years, especially Ludwig. I still love the vintage sound and I have to admit, when I first traded one of my Ludwig kits for this Mapex I was a little worried that I had made a mistake. I was wrong, I love this kit and it's only considered a mid-level one, let me tell you, there is nothing mid-level about this kit, other than the price tag. The toms, even with the stock heads, sing and the 20" kick is big sounding. One thing I never liked about modern drums was that they didn't have a warm tone, they are too bright for me. Not the case here, the drums are a pleasure to play and they look beautiful. If you've never played Mapex drums, I suggest you do so, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Haha, you should buy a DW ballad snare :)
I really like those deep snares.

Bram

I've seen those! I think someone here posted a picture of a Pearl 16" snare that looks like a 16x16 floor tom, too!

I think the first drummer from the Babys (early John Waite) used a really deep snare, looked like a marching snare, but put legs on it.

That is a beast of a snare drum man, I dig it. Glad to see Mapex found another devoted fan. Welcome to the Mapex family. :)

Well, I consider myself more of being in the "drum " family, although I do love these drums, I'm not saying they are the best drums on the planet. After playing so many kits, I don't think there is a "best" drum company, kinda like, who's the best drummer, there are too many good ones, (although in my book, Buddy will always be the best). My point is I love drums from all companies, now, if Mapex were to call and offer me an endorsement deal....hmm....

Here's a better photo of the snare with the kit.

Attachments

• 09101759.jpg
    09101759.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 248
Back