DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #3321  
Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi TomasHakkesBrain

Hi Gavin, im trying to do groups of 3 bass drums, like i've heard you do yourself. Are you doing RLR LRL?

No I always do just RLR.

Hi Hurlza

at the moment im over playing a fair bit in trying to create magic like yours. how can i avoid this over playing and start sounding mature as a player?

I guess the first thing is that you realise that you're over playing. Try recording yourself and make mental notes about what is too 'over the top'. Having control of your playing is a hard thing - it can take many years.

Hi SantiBanks

have you ever encountred a reboot during the middle of a performance (or at a gig in general)? Also, I noticed that Richard uses the Motu 828 MKII. Do you perhaps know if he ever had any trouble on stage? I'm very much concidering Motu as I think it's drivers should work better with mac.


Yes I think we did a couple of times when it was crashing a lot in the first tour we used the powerbook. Richard has had the power going off problem with the MOTU 828. I remember we played a club in Phoenix Arizona and the power went off in almost every song. The vibration from the drums was making a bad power connection get really loose. He had to reboot about 15 times that night. Another problem we've encountered is extremely low on stage power becuase of air conditioning units. I have a Furman power supply in my rack and in a club in Chicago it was barely registering 50 volts instead of 110v.

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 06-13-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3322  
Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Ogg's Avatar
Ogg Ogg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cornwall, England
Posts: 41
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

"Porcupine Tree are happy to announce the forthcoming release of their tenth studio album "The Incident". The record is set to be released via Roadrunner Records worldwide on 21st September, as a double CD..." Excellent news, Just made my day :)
Reply With Quote
  #3323  
Old 06-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Hurlza Hurlza is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 22
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Thanks for the tip gavin. What would be a cheap reliable way of recording myself?
Reply With Quote
  #3324  
Old 06-13-2009, 12:56 PM
miha miha is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 22
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
"Porcupine Tree are happy to announce the forthcoming release of their tenth studio album "The Incident". The record is set to be released via Roadrunner Records worldwide on 21st September, as a double CD..." Excellent news, Just made my day :)
Great news indeed!

And Gavin, congrats for the Modern Drummer award!
Reply With Quote
  #3325  
Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM
recordinghacks recordinghacks is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin - I'm working on an interview with Paul Northfield. We briefly discussed the tracking for "In Absentia" at Avatar. If you have any recollections or photos from that session to share, I'd very much appreciate it! You can reach me via http://recordinghacks.com/contact/

Thank you.

--
matt.
Reply With Quote
  #3326  
Old 06-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Tolo Tolo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghacks View Post
Gavin - I'm working on an interview with Paul Northfield. We briefly discussed the tracking for "In Absentia" at Avatar. If you have any recollections or photos from that session to share, I'd very much appreciate it! You can reach me via http://recordinghacks.com/contact/

Thank you.

--
matt.
...and then, please, tell us where & when will be published :-)
Reply With Quote
  #3327  
Old 06-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Drum-R Drum-R is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin, can you tell what crashes are you using. Are they K Custom Dark Crash or just K Dark Crash!
Reply With Quote
  #3328  
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 AM
dwsabianguy's Avatar
dwsabianguy dwsabianguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 370
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Congratulations on yet another Best Prog Drummer by MD. Normally, the big companies will wish the winners that endorse their products a big congratulations, and I noticed that you weren't listed in the Remo ad. This had me wondering what's going on, and it's just going to puzzle me until I know for sure; what IS going on with that? Did you change drumhead companies?


Thanks for your time
- Ryan
Reply With Quote
  #3329  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:12 PM
David Floegel David Floegel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 815
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

I recorded Sound of Muzak to the Playalong.


You can find it here:
http://www.ifloegel.de/sound_of_muzak.mp3

What do you think?
Please don't look on the sound as it's not very good..


Thanks very much
David
__________________
www.davidfloegel.com
Reply With Quote
  #3330  
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Hurlza

What would be a cheap reliable way of recording myself?

I guess any of those Zoom stereo recorders would do fine. I used to do it on a Sony walkman in my day - the quality of the audio isn't so important - as long as it doesn't distort and you can hear all the drums.

Hi recordinghacks

Gavin - I'm working on an interview with Paul Northfield. We briefly discussed the tracking for "In Absentia" at Avatar. If you have any recollections or photos from that session to share, I'd very much appreciate it!

I don't think I've got any photos. There was some video shot of those sessions - but nothing I can give you. I remember the session quite well - and I'll look forward to reading your interview with Paul.

Hi Drum-R

Hey Gavin, can you tell what crashes are you using. Are they K Custom Dark Crash or just K Dark Crash!

I use the K Custom Dark Crash 18" it's a magic cymbal !!!!

Hi dwsabianguy

Congratulations on yet another Best Prog Drummer by MD. Normally, the big companies will wish the winners that endorse their products a big congratulations, and I noticed that you weren't listed in the Remo ad. This had me wondering what's going on, and it's just going to puzzle me until I know for sure; what IS going on with that? Did you change drumhead companies?

I don't know what happened there - I guess they just forgot about me. I haven't changed company.

Hi Kalma

I recorded Sound of Muzak to the Playalong.
What do you think? Please don't look on the sound as it's not very good..


I generally don't like to do this because I don't want to have to comment on everyone's recordings....and you might not like what I say about them anyway.
Overall I think you sounded fine.

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison
Reply With Quote
  #3331  
Old 06-17-2009, 11:52 AM
SantiBanks's Avatar
SantiBanks SantiBanks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rotterdam - Netherlands
Posts: 182
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Yes I think we did a couple of times when it was crashing a lot in the first tour we used the powerbook. Richard has had the power going off problem with the MOTU 828. I remember we played a club in Phoenix Arizona and the power went off in almost every song. The vibration from the drums was making a bad power connection get really loose. He had to reboot about 15 times that night. Another problem we've encountered is extremely low on stage power becuase of air conditioning units. I have a Furman power supply in my rack and in a club in Chicago it was barely registering 50 volts instead of 110v.

cheers
Gavin
Oh man that sounds awful. Low power on stage is something I'm afraid of as we usually play on small festivals (a bit on the "amateurish" side, organisation wise). I might buy an UPS or a furman power supply. My old vintage gear doesn't like bad power sources :(

I thank you for all your very helpful advice. I think I'll go with the portable ultralite or maybe the FW410 if I can find that one for cheap.

Besides, I read about the new album on the PT website. Sounds very ambitious! A 50+ minute song is always interesting. I'm really looking forward to it. Last time I heard a band do a 50+ minute song was the Pat Metheny Group in 2005 with the Way Up (which I really highly recommend if you are still a fan of Metheny, it has some very interesting polyrythmic sections).


@Hurzla: a cheap microphone connected to your soundcard will do also (or in case you have a mac, it's internal microphone is good too. I know Phil Collins used it a lot to work out drum ideas for a drumduet on the last Genesis tour)
Edirol has a portable recorder too (and I believe tascam too). The edirol is very good (we use it in the band) but I honestly don't know how much they cost.

And there are also DAT recorders for cheap on ebay and craigslist. The ones with microphone input will do well too (microphone is usually delivered with too).
Reply With Quote
  #3332  
Old 06-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Drum-R Drum-R is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin, I know the new album is coming on September 21th... I'm going to your show at the Metropolis(MTL) on September 29th... Will you play some tracks of the new album??
Reply With Quote
  #3333  
Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Drum-R

Hi Gavin, I know the new album is coming on September 21th... I'm going to your show at the Metropolis(MTL) on September 29th... Will you play some tracks of the new album??

Of course we will - that's the whole point of going on tour straight after the release of a new album.

See you there

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison
Reply With Quote
  #3334  
Old 06-17-2009, 11:18 PM
KevShephard's Avatar
KevShephard KevShephard is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 17
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin!

I'm sure you get this all the time, but I just wanted to thank you. I just recently discovered your playing (videos on YouTube) and was blown away. I have been playing drums now for about 20 years, influenced by guys like Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Stewart Copeland. Hearing your playing in the videos inspired me like these guys did when I first heard them. For about a week I would watch your videos every day - anything I could find (and I must say there is not near enough - which is why I am going to get your DVDs - great marketing that YouTube does), and the gig I had that weekend was, in my opinion, and the opinion of others, the best I had ever played. It wasn't because I learned your chops (would take me a lifetime, I suspect), it was because your playing inspired me.

Anyways, a little long-winded, but....thank you Gavin! Keep it coming!

Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #3335  
Old 06-18-2009, 07:32 PM
NeuroAxis NeuroAxis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 83
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

For those who haven't seen it yet, there is some awesome footage of PT in the studio recording 'The Incident:'

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/vid...px?songID=2503
Reply With Quote
  #3336  
Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 AM
danielkenjr danielkenjr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Default Modern Drummer Festival Drumset

Hi Gavin,

thanx for your inspiration. You are one of the reasons I found my way back to drumming....thanks

I am just into buying a sonor sq2 drumset and wonder what you would prefer. Maple vintage or beech vintage? I like both but i don't know whether the maples aren't a little too soft sounding with too little attack?

what was your drumset at the MD festival 2008?

the best thing would be to have both and to switch depending on style. I don't know....

so what do you think?

thanx
Reply With Quote
  #3337  
Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 AM
hauk's Avatar
hauk hauk is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 814
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin, I'm excited to hear about The Incident - can't wait until September. And I have a few questions for you about it:
I get the impression from the video and the press releases that this album was mostly recorded together in a studio - as opposed to everybody recording at home & exchanging files. Is that right? What did you think of the studio you used?
Who wrote the album? I know Steven wrote the title track, but are there band compositions or other collaborations on the other disc?
Speaking of the title track, can you tell us how you plan to play it live (if you know yet)? Perhaps a version with only some of the movements?
The video on Roadrunner is nice (thanks NeuroAxis for posting), but a little choppy & incomplete - do you know if there will be any more video of the recording sessions posted? Was a lot filmed?
Finally, did you guys record any extra material that might feature on a Nil Recurring/Futile type release in the future? I think that worked quite well for the FOABP extras.
Thanks for your time
__________________
"We should print up T-shirts! And F-shirts for our friends with two arms on the same side!"
Reply With Quote
  #3338  
Old 06-21-2009, 02:56 PM
shortsman shortsman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,
It's a great honour to be able to write to you, hoping that you'll answer!
First of all i shall say that you're my favourite, not one of my favourites...MY FAVOURITE!!!

I find your style the most inspiring, your sound is more than amazing and your musical choices also! I wish one day i will be able to play as good as you do, with that amazing groove and your ability to play in different styles! I wish i will be able to have my own personal style, just like you. Whenever i hear even one note of your playing, i know it's you!

I bought the 2 albums you made with 05ric and i have to say that they are both A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I listen to them 2-3 times every day for the last one month!

I hope you'll answer and have a discussion...and maybe you'll explain some of your breaks (for example on the Break song)...

And a question...Will we see you here in Greece?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by shortsman; 06-21-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3339  
Old 06-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi KevShephard

I have been playing drums now for about 20 years, influenced by guys like Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Stewart Copeland.


Thanks for the comments - those guys influenced and inspired me too.

Hi danielkenjr

I am just into buying a sonor sq2 drumset and wonder what you would prefer. Maple vintage or beech vintage? I like both but i don't know whether the maples aren't a little too soft sounding with too little attack? what was your drumset at the MD festival 2008?


I haven't tried the beech shells yet. The set I used on the MD Fest was vintage Maple.

Hi hauk

I get the impression from the video and the press releases that this album was mostly recorded together in a studio - as opposed to everybody recording at home & exchanging files. Is that right? What did you think of the studio you used?

We did record a lot in studios (the drums were recorded at AIR Lyndhurst in London) one of my favourite studios - but we didn't record together.

Who wrote the album? I know Steven wrote the title track, but are there band compositions or other collaborations on the other disc?

Two segments of the title track were composed by the band as a whole. Yes there are other band compositions on the record.

Speaking of the title track, can you tell us how you plan to play it live (if you know yet)? Perhaps a version with only some of the movements?

Don't know yet.

The video on Roadrunner is nice (thanks NeuroAxis for posting), but a little choppy & incomplete - do you know if there will be any more video of the recording sessions posted? Was a lot filmed?

Not much was filmed - it was only what we did with our own cameras. A couple of drum performances were filmed - but I doubt they'll ever see the light of day.

Finally, did you guys record any extra material that might feature on a Nil Recurring/Futile type release in the future?

We recorded a lot of stuff - and it's all going to come out together. There were other things written - but they didn't get finished.

Hi shortsman

I bought the 2 albums you made with 05ric and i have to say that they are both A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I listen to them 2-3 times every day for the last one month! I hope you'll answer and have a discussion...and maybe you'll explain some of your breaks (for example on the Break song)...

Funny you should mention that - I'm working on a Book/DVD package about those two albums - together with Terry Branam. He's skillfully transcribed every single note I play on both albums - and I'm working on a DVD to accompany the book right now.

And a question...Will we see you here in Greece?

We hope so - but there's no plan right at this moment.

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison
Reply With Quote
  #3340  
Old 06-21-2009, 10:18 PM
shortsman shortsman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi shortsman

I bought the 2 albums you made with 05ric and i have to say that they are both A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I listen to them 2-3 times every day for the last one month! I hope you'll answer and have a discussion...and maybe you'll explain some of your breaks (for example on the Break song)...

Funny you should mention that - I'm working on a Book/DVD package about those two albums - together with Terry Branam. He's skillfully transcribed every single note I play on both albums - and I'm working on a DVD to accompany the book right now.

And a question...Will we see you here in Greece?

We hope so - but there's no plan right at this moment.

cheers
Gavin
First of all thanks for answering my post...

Now something i was wondering about. Will you release any other album together with 05ric or just those 2(i really hope there will be much more than only these 2!!!)?

I also try to find the sanity and gravity album but it is out of stock...will we ever be able to find this album?! I also want to buy every single album you've played in but unfortunately they're truly difficult to be found :(

Thanks once again...

Last edited by shortsman; 06-21-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3341  
Old 06-22-2009, 01:16 AM
danielkenjr danielkenjr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

tnaks a lot for your reply gavin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi KevShephard

I have been playing drums now for about 20 years, influenced by guys like Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Stewart Copeland.


Thanks for the comments - those guys influenced and inspired me too.

Hi danielkenjr

I am just into buying a sonor sq2 drumset and wonder what you would prefer. Maple vintage or beech vintage? I like both but i don't know whether the maples aren't a little too soft sounding with too little attack? what was your drumset at the MD festival 2008?


I haven't tried the beech shells yet. The set I used on the MD Fest was vintage Maple.

Hi hauk

I get the impression from the video and the press releases that this album was mostly recorded together in a studio - as opposed to everybody recording at home & exchanging files. Is that right? What did you think of the studio you used?

We did record a lot in studios (the drums were recorded at AIR Lyndhurst in London) one of my favourite studios - but we didn't record together.

Who wrote the album? I know Steven wrote the title track, but are there band compositions or other collaborations on the other disc?

Two segments of the title track were composed by the band as a whole. Yes there are other band compositions on the record.

Speaking of the title track, can you tell us how you plan to play it live (if you know yet)? Perhaps a version with only some of the movements?

Don't know yet.

The video on Roadrunner is nice (thanks NeuroAxis for posting), but a little choppy & incomplete - do you know if there will be any more video of the recording sessions posted? Was a lot filmed?

Not much was filmed - it was only what we did with our own cameras. A couple of drum performances were filmed - but I doubt they'll ever see the light of day.

Finally, did you guys record any extra material that might feature on a Nil Recurring/Futile type release in the future?

We recorded a lot of stuff - and it's all going to come out together. There were other things written - but they didn't get finished.

Hi shortsman

I bought the 2 albums you made with 05ric and i have to say that they are both A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I listen to them 2-3 times every day for the last one month! I hope you'll answer and have a discussion...and maybe you'll explain some of your breaks (for example on the Break song)...

Funny you should mention that - I'm working on a Book/DVD package about those two albums - together with Terry Branam. He's skillfully transcribed every single note I play on both albums - and I'm working on a DVD to accompany the book right now.

And a question...Will we see you here in Greece?

We hope so - but there's no plan right at this moment.

cheers
Gavin
Reply With Quote
  #3342  
Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Joe P Joe P is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 440
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsman View Post
First of all thanks for answering my post...

Now something i was wondering about. Will you release any other album together with 05ric or just those 2(i really hope there will be much more than only these 2!!!)?

I also try to find the sanity and gravity album but it is out of stock...will we ever be able to find this album?! I also want to buy every single album you've played in but unfortunately they're truly difficult to be found :(

Thanks once again...
iTunes has it.
202020
Reply With Quote
  #3343  
Old 06-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi shortsman

Now something i was wondering about. Will you release any other album together with 05ric or just those 2(i really hope there will be much more than only these 2!!!)?

Yes we will make more in the future.

I also try to find the sanity and gravity album but it is out of stock...will we ever be able to find this album?! I also want to buy every single album you've played in but unfortunately they're truly difficult to be found :(


Sanity & Gravity is out of print at the moment but it can be downloaded from iTunes or from me via

http://www.burningshed.com/store/gavinharrison/

Hi danielkenjr,
if log in you can erase your double post - there's probably no need to 'quote my reply' in your answer. Thanks.

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison
Reply With Quote
  #3344  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 AM
hauk's Avatar
hauk hauk is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 814
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Thanks for all your answers Gavin - I'm especially glad to hear that the extra Incident tracks will see release together - I much prefer that to the "Deadwing method." It's also good to hear that there will be more GH05 recordings as I think Circles even surpasses Drop.
__________________
"We should print up T-shirts! And F-shirts for our friends with two arms on the same side!"
Reply With Quote
  #3345  
Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 PM
shortsman shortsman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

I really don't know which of the 2 albums is better! Maybe i prefer Circles but then i think about Unsettled, Sometime, Okay and i rethink the whole thing! :)

But i think i know which is my favorite song of these albums... I guess Break is the chosen one!!! I believe that Gavin and Ric named the song Break because of that AMAZING BREAK Gavin does on 3.37, lol!!! Can you explain to us maybe the best break the world's ever listened Gavin?

Also i don't want to download the Sanity And Gravity album. I am the type of guy who wants every album in the original version, you know, to open the package and see the cd, the booklet, everything...i'm a romantic guy! So i will be waiting until the album is printed again! Is there any possibility???
Reply With Quote
  #3346  
Old 06-23-2009, 11:24 PM
ax0r7ag0z ax0r7ag0z is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hello people, Hello Gavin!!!

I registered just to be able to say thank you for being so talented and thank you for
taking the time, especially now that you are working on a new album to chat with us and
respond to our questions!!!

I think that you are for the 90s and 00s what John Bonham was for the 60s and 70s,
archetypical, simple when you need to and "effectively complex" when you want to. never idle, never
off beat, never miss a mark. I think that you are a crossbreed with a metronome :P
Perfect concept of time and rhythm, not a novelty decoration, but an active part of the
band. You don't just accent on what the others are playing, you also make music, not just
sound, you play along, you have more talent on your left hand than I'll eve have on all
four of my limbs, you give reason to drummers and drumming in general to exist!!!!

Now, on to the questions:

Have you had many skins/cymbals brake on you live?

Having read that you come from a jazz background, who is
the artist you would most have liked to play with, that's not among us any more

What would you say was the worst sounding kit you ever played?

Have you used electronic drums? If so, whole kits or just pieces?

I thought you gave all you had IN the studio, but when i got Arriving somewhere
as a gift, i realized you're holding back on us!! You are even better live!!!
You think that is because you've had more time to listen to the tracks and improve on
them or as you've said before, because you like to make the songs sound a bit different
each time?

Does that "trick" you do in Slippin' Away,on the 1:02 minute mark have a name?


Thank you, thank you. THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3347  
Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi shortsman

But i think i know which is my favorite song of these albums... I guess Break is the chosen one!!! I believe that Gavin and Ric named the song Break because of that AMAZING BREAK Gavin does on 3.37, lol!!! Can you explain to us maybe the best break the world's ever listened Gavin?

It's your lucky day!!! It just so happens that Terry Branam has transcribed both GH05 albums for a book/DVD package that we are currently working on. Here's that fill..(the time signature is 6/8 of course)

Name:  Picture 2.jpg
Views: 4119
Size:  42.7 KB

Also i don't want to download the Sanity And Gravity album. I am the type of guy who wants every album in the original version, you know, to open the package and see the cd, the booklet, everything...i'm a romantic guy! So i will be waiting until the album is printed again! Is there any possibility???

There's very little chance of it getting reprinted at the moment. You might find one on ebay?

Hi ax0r7ag0z

Have you had many skins/cymbals brake on you live?


I have broken a few snare drum skins live - and bottom snare heads have blown out too. Yes I have broken a lot of cymbals in live situations - but recently I've been developing some new kind of cymbal washers that absorb some of the shock - and since then I haven't broken any cymbals.

Having read that you come from a jazz background, who is
the artist you would most have liked to play with, that's not among us any more?


Joe Zawinul, Chet Baker, Art Farmer and many others too

What would you say was the worst sounding kit you ever played?

I once had to play a hybrid kit of Maxwin concert toms with drum heads that must have been 25 years old. It wasn't great.

Have you used electronic drums? If so, whole kits or just pieces?

I have played DDrums and VDrums.

I thought you gave all you had IN the studio, but when i got Arriving somewhere
as a gift, i realized you're holding back on us!! You are even better live!!!
You think that is because you've had more time to listen to the tracks and improve on
them or as you've said before, because you like to make the songs sound a bit different
each time?


The more I play a song - the more new ideas might come to me over time.

Does that "trick" you do in Slippin' Away,on the 1:02 minute mark have a name?


Not really - it started as a joke fill that I used to do in rehearsals sometimes just to amuse the other musicians.

Cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 06-24-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3348  
Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 PM
ItalianRicky's Avatar
ItalianRicky ItalianRicky is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Padova (Italy)
Posts: 76
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

hi gavin!
i hope that everything is ok for you!
last saturday i bought the tickets for PT date here in padova!! ^_^

and in saturday evening i played in a concert with my band.We play the themes of the anime like DRAGONBALL, LUPIN, and many others of 80's :)

I decided for that night to use a setup like yours, a little tribute to a person that gave me a lot, in a simple, gentle way.If i can play drums in a decent way, i gotta say thanks to many persons, and you are one of these.



i hope that you recognize your setup!!! ^^

cheers from Italy!
__________________
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/riccardopd
Reply With Quote
  #3349  
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 AM
SantiBanks's Avatar
SantiBanks SantiBanks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rotterdam - Netherlands
Posts: 182
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianRicky View Post

i hope that you recognize your setup!!! ^^

cheers from Italy!
I certainly recognise it! Looks great and I bet it sounds great too!
Reply With Quote
  #3350  
Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 PM
phil_EN phil_EN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

I do know that you play to metronome to most (all?) of your PT songs live. Which kind of metronome do you use? My band and I want to use click too, but I dont really know how to get everyone involved in it. Is there a way to get every band member hearing the click with a metronome such as the "Tama Rhythm Watch" or something like that? Can you recommend anything (with having no notebook)?

Thanks for answering and see you in Cologne


@Italian Ricky: Looks very nice, I'd love to play it. :)
Reply With Quote
  #3351  
Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Renard Renard is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin!
I just want to say that you are my favorite drummer, I wonder how could you play the drums so well, your drumplaying gives me dreamless nights (listen it a lot and try to find out what and how you play...then I write it down to myself, I think it improves my skills too) and a lot of inspiration.

I was very happy when I read Porcupine Tree come in Hungary! I think itt will be a "killer" show! I can't wait november!

Were you ever been in Hungary?
It's a beautiful country, I hope that you will have some time to look around!


(sorry for my mistakes)
Reply With Quote
  #3352  
Old 06-26-2009, 02:55 AM
NeuroAxis NeuroAxis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 83
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_EN View Post
Hi Gavin,

I do know that you play to metronome to most (all?) of your PT songs live. Which kind of metronome do you use? My band and I want to use click too, but I dont really know how to get everyone involved in it. Is there a way to get every band member hearing the click with a metronome such as the "Tama Rhythm Watch" or something like that? Can you recommend anything (with having no notebook)?

Thanks for answering and see you in Cologne


@Italian Ricky: Looks very nice, I'd love to play it. :)

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you are just playing to a click for the tightness you can run the headphone out of a Tama Rhythmwatch-style metronome to a headphone mixer with several headphone outputs that you could run to your bandmates' headphones. If you are trying to run samples to a click you will need a sampler or a computer to run the samples lined up to a click; and you could do something similar with this setup. Just run the master headphone out of whatever you are using to sample into an inexpensive headphone mixer with several headphone outs.

Now in most bands only the drummer will play to the click and the rest of the band will play to him/her, but if you have a lot of gaps in the music where there are other instruments playing with no drum parts it can get tedious to sit there and click your hi-hats the whole time. This would be one advantage of having everyone in the band hear the click.

Of course I've only been doing this for the last 2 yrs or so, Gavin could probably provide much more wisdom on this than me, but I hope this helps either way.
Reply With Quote
  #3353  
Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 PM
supermac's Avatar
supermac supermac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 426
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

Still enjoying your music and 'borrowing' heavily from it as I practice on my new Roland kit.

Among the many things I enjoy in your playing is your ride cymbal work.

For example, the quarter note ride feel you get (even though your're actually playing a lot of notes) on the Sound Of Muzak chorus is almost hypnotic. Most drummers, I'm sure, would have just tapped out eight notes.

Anyway, on over-riding: You mention you heard it on a record back in the day.

I was wondering when 'over-riding' was done for the fist time.

I heard Neil Peart dabble with it in the early 80s, but I recently heard Jeff Beck's 1976 Wired album and Narada Michael Walden was over-riding to a 7/8 groove on Led Boots.

Might this be the track you heard?
Reply With Quote
  #3354  
Old 06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Kongo Kongo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 27
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin, what do you think of Morgan Ågren's drumming?
Reply With Quote
  #3355  
Old 06-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi ItalianRicky

I decided for that night to use a setup like yours, a little tribute to a person that gave me a lot, in a simple, gentle way.If i can play drums in a decent way, i gotta say thanks to many persons, and you are one of these.


Your kit looks great - I would feel at home playing that setup!!!

Hi phil_EN

I do know that you play to metronome to most (all?) of your PT songs live. Which kind of metronome do you use? My band and I want to use click too, but I dont really know how to get everyone involved in it. Is there a way to get every band member hearing the click with a metronome such as the "Tama Rhythm Watch" or something like that? Can you recommend anything (with having no notebook)?

Yes as NeuroAxis says you could just run any drum machine through a headphone amp and pass the click along to your band mates. Do they all wear 'in ear' monitors?
I have a Yamaha Click Station but I have to say I don't love the sound of that particular click.

Hi Renard

Were you ever been in Hungary?
It's a beautiful country, I hope that you will have some time to look around!


Yes I was in Budapest in 1995 for one concert with Eros Ramazzotti. I'd love to have more time to look around but usually the tour schedule doesn't allow for sightseeing.

Hi supermac

Anyway, on over-riding: You mention you heard it on a record back in the day.
I was wondering when 'over-riding' was done for the fist time.


I don't know when it was done for the first time (probably jazz drummers were doing many years before) - but I became aware of it in the 80's with the sting song "Straight To My Heart"

Hi Kongo

Gavin, what do you think of Morgan Ågren's drumming?

I LOVE his drumming.

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison
Reply With Quote
  #3356  
Old 06-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Kongo Kongo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 27
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianRicky View Post
hi gavin!
i hope that everything is ok for you!
last saturday i bought the tickets for PT date here in padova!! ^_^

and in saturday evening i played in a concert with my band.We play the themes of the anime like DRAGONBALL, LUPIN, and many others of 80's :)

I decided for that night to use a setup like yours, a little tribute to a person that gave me a lot, in a simple, gentle way.If i can play drums in a decent way, i gotta say thanks to many persons, and you are one of these.



i hope that you recognize your setup!!! ^^

cheers from Italy!
WOW!!!!!!!

I was born in Italy, but my drum set doesn't look like that.
Reply With Quote
  #3357  
Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Fox622003's Avatar
Fox622003 Fox622003 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,066
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I have a Yamaha Click Station but I have to say I don't love the sound of that particular click.
Gavin
Hey Gavin!
I thought you programmed your clicks, in what sort of situation do you use your Clickstation? And would you recommend it as a metronome? (even though you don't like the sound) As in it having options to program a whole song in it, odd times and so on?
Thanks again, all the best.

Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #3358  
Old 06-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Gavin Harrison's Avatar
Gavin Harrison Gavin Harrison is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Fox622003,
yes I do use Logic and program all my clicks. I bought the Click Station just for rehearsal and practise situations - and it's quite well thought out and has some nice features - but I just don't like the sound of the click and there's no way to change it.

cheers
Gavin
__________________
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison
Reply With Quote
  #3359  
Old 06-27-2009, 01:03 PM
SantiBanks's Avatar
SantiBanks SantiBanks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rotterdam - Netherlands
Posts: 182
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I bought the Click Station just for rehearsal and practise situations
Do you guys rehearse a lot with metronome for the other songs that are not synced up to sequences, video etc.?
And does everyone on stage hear the click in their monitor?
Cheers,
santi
Reply With Quote
  #3360  
Old 06-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Merting Merting is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Mr.Harrison

I've been listening to your drumming for a year and I completely adore the way you groove and your usage of cymbals, very creative for sure! Your inspiration made me start drumming and I bought my first drum set last summer (Sonor).
In addition I have some questions in mind:

-What is your Porcupine Tree track to play live?

-Is PT planning to visit any countries they haven't visited before? I have lots of friends impatient to see you guys live in here, Turkey!

-And do you have any suggestions for a young drummer?

Thank you!
(English may not be good, only 14 and not native ^^)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com