DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

I agree about "19 Days!" The drumming is, as usual, amazing! It is what finally gave me that "HOLY CRAP I GET IT!" moment with crazy odd times. I would have always thought counting 19/8 would be insane, but after seeing how you break it up into 7-7-5, I finally got it!

You are honestly the biggest inspiration to my playing. I notice little things here and there that I do, and I think, "Oh god, this sounds like Gavin!" The weird thing is that it's not all the crazy stuff, it's little things like ghost notes, and just certain sticking patterns that just sound like stuff you do.

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to interact with us here! It is very much appreciated!
Josh
Old 03-31-2008, 10:52 PM

Dear Gavin:

First off I would like to say that your drumming is a true inspiration. Trains and Lazarus are probably my two favorite tracks to play along to. I've been recently trying to pick up the German grip on my left hand because I feel that the grip I'm using now (American) lacks a certain finesse.. When you first implemented German grip in your playing did you practice rudiments on a practice pad or just used it as much in your playing on the kit as much as possible? Also, when tuning your snare (I am in love with your snare sound) do you use a "Bob Gatzen approach" with the batter head tuned to a C/C# and the reverse head an A/A#? My 13" snare doesn't seem to agree with that tuning very much...

Thank you so much for the soulful playing, Gavin!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 AM

Hi Gavin...

Is it possible to contact with you via private message ?

reagrds

Michal.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:52 PM

Hi Gavin,

Discovered you playing last year. Massively impressed and inspired. It's nice to have a Brit drummer who can mix it with the American big guns.

Anyway mate, a question:

On your latest DVD, on a couple of occasions, while soloing, you have an open hi-hat, then suddenly you switch to closed hi-hat, while playing double-bass drums.

What exactly is going on there? Is it a piece of hardwhere I haven't come across?

Secondly, have you any plans to play in Newcastle UK in the near future.

Best wishes
Old 04-01-2008, 06:22 PM

Hi Gavin,

In the basic groove of the song Clock of Drop, do you play the hihat between the tom and snare hits??? If so, how do you play it, what's the sticking?? I'm confused ;(

Great groove by the way, simple, fun and effective..

Cheers, Dre
Old 04-02-2008, 02:29 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi GretschAttack,

When you first implemented German grip in your playing did you practice rudiments on a practice pad or just used it as much in your playing on the kit as much as possible?

I did both - although most of my early rudiment practise was on a pad.

Also, when tuning your snare (I am in love with your snare sound) do you use a "Bob Gatzen approach" with the batter head tuned to a C/C# and the reverse head an A/A#? My 13" snare doesn't seem to agree with that tuning very much...

No I don't, but I've followed a lot of Bob's advice from watching many of his clips on tuning on YouTube - plus I have one of his DVDs too.

Hi szuwi,

It is - but please bear in mind that I'm only really here to answer drum related questions - and I encourage folks to ask them on the thread so I don't keep answering the same questions over and over. If you're wondering if the question has already been asked please try the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" link below.

Hi supermac,

On your latest DVD, on a couple of occasions, while soloing, you have an open hi-hat, then suddenly you switch to closed hi-hat, while playing double-bass drums. What exactly is going on there? Is it a piece of hardwhere I haven't come across?

It's a Tama Cobra Clutch and it's setup just left of my hi hat pedal - in fact you can just see my heal going across to put the hi hat into a tightly closed position.

Secondly, have you any plans to play in Newcastle UK in the near future.

Not right now - sorry.

Hi Drizzle,

In the basic groove of the song Clock of Drop, do you play the hihat between the tom and snare hits??? If so, how do you play it, what's the sticking?? I'm confused ;(

Yes I do it with my right hand. So the right hand plays the tom before the snare and then jumps back over to the hi hat. I'm sure Terry Branam could do a nice little transcription of it for us. I don't have the chance to do it right now as I'm rehearsing in Nashville.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-02-2008, 03:22 AM

Hello Gavin,

I noticed in some clips of you drumming your using coated resonant heads. How would you describe how it affects the sound in comparison to clear resonant heads? What weight would you suggest for using coated resonant heads?

You have such an intense and soulful playing style, you are the best.

Cheers,
Ronan
Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi szuwi,

It is - but please bear in mind that I'm only really here to answer drum related questions - and I encourage folks to ask them on the thread so I don't keep answering the same questions over and over. If you're wondering if the question has already been asked please try the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" link below.
Yes I know that, but I'm sure, that my question wasn't asked before because it isn't concern drum question, technique or drum set (I'm not a drummer:)), so that's why I didn't want to ask this question here...

best regards

Michal
http://www.amarok.pl
Old 04-03-2008, 05:55 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Citizen Insane,

I noticed in some clips of you drumming your using coated resonant heads. How would you describe how it affects the sound in comparison to clear resonant heads? What weight would you suggest for using coated resonant heads?

I'm not using them anymore - but when I did - I used Remo coated Diplomats. At the time I really thought they made a nice warm combination with the coated Emperors on top. I think the Clear Ambassadors make slightly bending sound than the Diplomats - and now that I'm playing harder I prefer the Clear Ambassadors on the bottom.

Hi szuwi,

Yes I know that, but I'm sure, that my question wasn't asked before because it isn't concern drum question, technique or drum set (I'm not a drummer:)), so that's why I didn't want to ask this question here...

ok send me a message then.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Hi Drizzle,

Yes I do it with my right hand. So the right hand plays the tom before the snare and then jumps back over to the hi hat. I'm sure Terry Branam could do a nice little transcription of it for us. I don't have the chance to do it right now as I'm rehearsing in Nashville.

Cheers
Gavin

Here is my transcription of the groove.
Hope it helps!
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2008, 05:29 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Many thanks Terry !! You're the man.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-03-2008, 07:58 PM

Hey Gavin ,

i wanted to know whats changed in your Bassdrumsound between the " Arriv. Smw. " and the " Fear of a BP Tour " .. it sounds so much more powerful!

Also interested what you think about the Evans Emad? Is this probebly a Sound option for your Bassdrum ?

I tried a lot to imitade your setup .. it works quite nice but i not get the main Crashes to Setup compfty .. any advises there?

Last but not least , i would like to know what plugins do you use in the Studio? I read the Waves C1 for snare .. is there another ? And whats about Toms and the Kick?

Great thanks for your time ! It was an Honor for me
Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 AM

Hello Gavin! Hope things are well for you in Nashville (rehearsing for KC, i'm guessing?)

I've just got one quick question about your cymbals; you're a pretty powerful hitter, but very precise and measured, so i'm wondering how often you end up replacing them ,
in a scenario where you're not touring with them, just practicing and recording at home. How do those chinas hold up, especially the smaller one? I'm sure you've never cracked a ride, of course...how about those 13" K hats?

thanks for helping us out around here!
take care
-Chris Anderson
Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Trains',

i wanted to know whats changed in your Bassdrumsound between the " Arriv. Smw. " and the " Fear of a BP Tour " .. it sounds so much more powerful!

Are you comparing the sound of the Bass Drum from the tours or from the Live DVD and a live show? I use a different kit between the US and Europe.

Also interested what you think about the Evans Emad? Is this probebly a Sound option for your Bassdrum ?

I don't know it.

I tried a lot to imitade your setup .. it works quite nice but i not get the main Crashes to Setup compfty .. any advises there?

Everyone should set up their kit to whatever makes them comfortable - I'd be amazed if my kit made you comfortable or vice versa.

Last but not least , i would like to know what plugins do you use in the Studio? I read the Waves C1 for snare .. is there another ? And whats about Toms and the Kick?

Not really - I use one of the reverbs in Space Designer (which is included in Logic Pro).

Hi xopethx,

I've just got one quick question about your cymbals; you're a pretty powerful hitter, but very precise and measured, so i'm wondering how often you end up replacing them ,
in a scenario where you're not touring with them, just practicing and recording at home. How do those chinas hold up, especially the smaller one? I'm sure you've never cracked a ride, of course...how about those 13" K hats?

I don't think I've ever broken a cymbal at home - I have broken many on tour though.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 AM

Hi Gavin,

I'm from Ecuador and have been following your career lately, I got 2 questions for you....
1) I've noticed in your videos that you use Vic Firth 5A sticks, however, I read an article where, in the setup section, it is mentioned that you were using Vic Firth Rock model, which are the main reasons for the change?
2) Can you tell us which are the good, the bad, and the ugly sides of touring for a drummer?

Keep on Living, Keep on Drumming
take care
-Fernando Hurtado

Last edited by Crimson Redrum; 04-04-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:00 PM

I was comparing the DVD sound and the live sound from a show in england . Meanwhile..a thought i should not compare that ..'scrml'

My Point was that before i get to your idea for setup i had an awful setup .. i feel quite comfty with your setup ( finally! ) . But i spend so much afternoons tryin to setup the crashes.. dont have you any tricks/pictures or something ?

The intent behind my question wars , like " What u use , what can i probly. buy in 10 yeas , for your sound " .

One more question ..... dave weckl sayed that he only practise the single / double -stroke , paradiddle and flams. Whats your idea about practicing rudiments.

Thank you for your Time
Old 04-04-2008, 06:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Crimson Redrum,

1) I've noticed in your videos that you use Vic Firth 5A sticks, however, I read an article where, in the setup section, it is mentioned that you were using Vic Firth Rock model, which are the main reasons for the change?

I used VF 5A extreme for a while - but now I'm just using the VF Hickory Rock model. Firstly because I have large hands and the 5A's felt a little thin - and secondly I'm playing a bit harder now and the "Rock" model feels right to me.

Hi Trains,

My Point was that before i get to your idea for setup i had an awful setup .. i feel quite comfty with your setup ( finally! ) . But i spend so much afternoons tryin to setup the crashes.. dont have you any tricks/pictures or something ?

there's an overhead shot here..

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=1690

One more question ..... dave weckl sayed that he only practise the single / double -stroke , paradiddle and flams. Whats your idea about practicing rudiments.

They are about the only ones that I ever practise too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 PM

Hi to Gavin and everyone else (I've not memorized your names yet!)

At this point I thought I should join this site if only to say 'Thanks' for this Q&A here on Drummerworld - I enjoy your playing and I find it refreshing that you actually read the Q's and give out the A's.
You get an A+ from me.

Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Hi Gavin -and everyone here-,

What do you think about solid shell snares -craviotto´s, dw´s or whatever-.
Perhaps too dark for your sound?.
Have you ever tried the dw edge snare? (that hybrid of solid brass and wood)
Now i´m playing one from a friend, and sounds pretty good.

Best wishes
Gustavo
Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 PM

Hello,
I want to revisit the bearing edge discussion from a while back because I am planning out a couple of snare drum builds (potentially with rounded edges). do your drums typically have a completely rounded over edge or are they something like a rounded 45?

Thanks,
Austin
Old 04-07-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Hi szuwi,

ok send me a message then.

Cheers
Gavin
I made it via Private Message on the forum...:-)

regards

Michal
Old 04-07-2008, 01:59 PM

Hello mr. Harrison,

I was just wondering if you ever had music lessons for playing drums? Have you been to a school of music (like Berkley) or a Conservatory or something like that?

Thanks in advanced,

Tjalling
Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Hey Gavin,

Happens that Nashville is 150 miles from here so looks like I get to see your opening show with Crimson. Cant wait. I think we already have the tickets (if my friend got them as he said he would). Heard it was a small club that you guys were starting in just to get off the ground and because Adrian lives there... Anyway.. I look forward to hearing your drumming in Crimson.. What an honor it must be... Are you finding it any more challenging that other projects you have done ?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus,

What do you think about solid shell snares -craviotto´s, dw´s or whatever-.
Perhaps too dark for your sound?. Have you ever tried the dw edge snare?

I have a solid shell Noble & Cooley - and it's very good. I haven't tried Craviotto/DW or the "Edge Snare".

Hi drumher,

But do you know that problem with your mind and concentration and what are you doing in such a moment? Are there any ways to get through those moments when they come?

Maybe you're really bored with the songs or band if your mind keeps wandering away? I know I can lose concentration if I'm extremely tired.

Hi ZDrums24,

I want to revisit the bearing edge discussion from a while back because I am planning out a couple of snare drum builds (potentially with rounded edges). do your drums typically have a completely rounded over edge or are they something like a rounded 45?

They are completely rounded like Gretsch or early 80's Yamaha.

Hi Tjalling,

I was just wondering if you ever had music lessons for playing drums? Have you been to a school of music (like Berkley) or a Conservatory or something like that?

No, I studied privately with Joe Hodson (drum teacher in London) when I was about 11 to 15 years old. I then studied with ex-Berklee graduate Dave Cutler when I was 18. After that I just followed my nose.

Hi Liquid_Drummer,

I look forward to hearing your drumming in Crimson.. What an honor it must be... Are you finding it any more challenging that other projects you have done ?

It is an honour - and very challenging too.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

I just played a little with the Sq2 Kit Configurator for my next drumset, and the sizes should be:

22*18 Kickdrum
14*5 Snaredrum
10*5 Side-SnareDrum
8*8 TomTom
10*9 TomTom
12*10 FloorTom
14*12 FloorTom

Now my question is about the two Floortoms:
Do you think they are low enough?
I've chosen 12*10 and 14*12 because I'm normaly playing 2 Toms and 2 Floortoms, but sometimes I want to have 3 Toms and 1 Floortom (or 2 Floortoms) like you.
And I think it would look and sound bad if I would have an 3" lower TomTom next to the 10*9 tomTom.

What do you think?
(I hope that you understand what I want to know)
Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM

Hello there, Mr. Harrison.

Being a guitar player 3/4 of my life, I recently turned my attention a bit more to the drum world because my 6 year-old son showed some talent on the instrument, and now he got himself a TD6 Vdrum and is taking drum lessons.

My question is very simple: 6/7 years-old is a very tender age, a period when you cant actually push the children too much on technique/grip/stick control/rudiments, but in the other hand, you also cant let them too loose and treating the drums (or any other instrument) like a toy.

Im constantly trying to find the right balance with my son between practicing and playing the grooves/reading exercises the teacher gives him and encouraging him to just sit on the kit and play (in the sense of just having fun, slaming around).

Do you think you could, please, offer me some words of wisdon of how I could help my son learn this beautiful instrument (and music in general) without pushing him too much or making him lose interest???

I have a very bad experience myself, because even though I always practiced like crazy, countless hours a day for many years, I always hated practicing and it was alwayns a painful experience for me. But the drive to superate myself was bigger than the (huge) frustration.

Thank you very much for your attention, for the magnificent inspiration you are giving us (drummers and non-drummers). Only recently I became familiar with your work, and I apologize for that. Your Rhytmic Illusions work instantly made me respect your not just as a musician, but as an educator as well.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdon you might provide me concerning my beloved drummer son!

PEACE!

Last edited by mabhz; 04-09-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Hi Gavin,

I just played a little with the Sq2 Kit Configurator for my next drumset, and the sizes should be:

22*18 Kickdrum
14*5 Snaredrum
10*5 Side-SnareDrum
8*8 TomTom
10*9 TomTom
12*10 FloorTom
14*12 FloorTom

I've chosen 12*10 and 14*12 because I'm normaly playing 2 Toms and 2 Floortoms, but sometimes I want to have 3 Toms and 1 Floortom (or 2 Floortoms) like you.
And I think it would look and sound bad if I would have an 3" lower TomTom next to the 10*9 tomTom.

What do you think?
(I hope that you understand what I want to know)
I know I'm not gavin, but I have a little insight seeing as I had to make a similar decision with my current kit. My answer is as follows:

Go hit some drums. No amount of talk and speculation can replace a visit to your local drum shop.

Now, a little insight from what I've noticed:

The depth of your toms should be a decision based on your playing. I have a starclassic performer with 10/12/14 rack toms, a 16" suspended floor tom, and an 18" floor tom. I went for the shallower of the two available depths on the rack toms (for a quicker sound), but went for the deeper depth (14") on the suspended floor tom. The 18" is your typical 16" deep. Basically, I made a mistake with the suspended 16" because it doesn't have that floor tom sound (lacking the deeper shell for the thicker, bigger sound), but its just too big/deep to make a decent rack tom. Had I bought a 16" floor tom, it would have been perfect.

My kit reflects my playing in that the toms are divided into two overlapping groups of sound palettes that i draw from (10/12/14 and 14/16/18). I rarely play my floor toms with my rack toms in the same thought without expecting a significant contrast (using my 10 for accents while playing grooves on the 18, for example). Its very rare my fills even use drums from both groups. This tells me how the drums in my kit need to relate (or not relate) to each other in the kit. Some guys treat their toms as one graduated sound palette, so the drums need to change tone gradually. My kit, not so much. I am asking my 14" to be a bit of a transition drum since I hate having fewer than 3 drums in a palette to work with and I wasn't about to shove 6 toms on the kit, but it does a surprisingly good job at being big, but not too big.

The next step is to figure out how you want the palette(s) to sound in general. In my case, I want a really big, resonant, almost overwhelming sound from my lower toms while I want my upper toms to maintain a very bright, energetic sound. this is where my choice in shallower depths up top vs. deeper on the bottom comes in. It suits my playing and I did the research in local shops to make sure.

The point is that your choice of drum depths is very much your own. You picked shallower depths, but nothing that far from the ordinary (other than a 12" floor tom, I have never heard of that). You won't get a tone as big and deep as mine, but maybe you prefer a lighter, faster, and more energetic sound.

A little long winded. I hope it helps.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Kalma,

Personally I think they are too small for floor toms - but you should follow your own ideas not mine. I have had the same size drumset for 20 years or more. ZDrums24 made some good comments about choosing drum sizes.

Hi mabhz,

Do you think you could, please, offer me some words of wisdon of how I could help my son learn this beautiful instrument (and music in general) without pushing him too much or making him lose interest???

It depends on his character - you know him better than anyone about how far he can be pushed. When I was that age I just played along to records and enjoyed myself on the instrument. I didn't have serious lessons until I was about 11.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-09-2008, 03:45 PM

Hi Gavin,

When you break a cymbal, what do you do to it? Possibly cut a piece off it or drill a hole to stop the crack from growing? I noticed a crack on my crash cymbal yesterday (it's the first cymbal I've broken). Now I'm wondering: what should I do with it? I'm also considering the option "Gavin Harrison chime".

Thank you for being here to answer our questions,

Ilmari
Old 04-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've often thought about purchasing a secondary bass, but I can't figure out if having two would be more dynamic as opposed to just playing with a double-bass pedal. I really like the look of two kicks, but on a technical level, I still like the simplicity of playing double pedal. What is your take on kits with two kicks?

Thanks in advanced,

Quadgod08
Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

thanks for the reply, again!

I think I'll choose
8*8
10*10
12*12 Floortom
14*14 Floortom

But I also will go in a music-shop and test it...

In the next days I'll get 4 broken Cymbals. One of it is a K-Custom Dark :)
The others are Meinl 100, Sabian B8 and a Meinl Romen Crash.
If you have broken cymbals, I'll take them ;)
Old 04-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Hi again,

Ehm, Gavin, can you ask Steve what he plays in the intro of "Trains"?
My brother tries to play it, but he does not get, what Steve does there...
Thank you
David
Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ailmour,

When you break a cymbal, what do you do to it? Possibly cut a piece off it or drill a hole to stop the crack from growing? I noticed a crack on my crash cymbal yesterday (it's the first cymbal I've broken). Now I'm wondering: what should I do with it? I'm also considering the option "Gavin Harrison chime".

I have in the past cut out the crack with tin snips and then filed it smooth (so the cymbal ends up with a flat side) - but inevitably it does end up breaking again. There's always the option to cut it right down to a "chime" but it depends on the type of cymbal in the first place.

Hi Quadgod08,

I've often thought about purchasing a secondary bass, but I can't figure out if having two would be more dynamic as opposed to just playing with a double-bass pedal. I really like the look of two kicks, but on a technical level, I still like the simplicity of playing double pedal. What is your take on kits with two kicks?

I liked playing two bass drums - and I think it's easier with two separate single pedals - but I found it difficult to get the same sound from the two drums - so the double pedal was the answer for me. Plus I couldn't get the two bass drums in my car (back in the early 80's when I tried it last).

Hi Kalma,

Sorry - you'll have to ask Steve yourself.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-12-2008, 12:19 PM

hey gavin,

im looking forward to seeing you play at drumania on the 29th of april. should be worth the money!
hope all is well.

cheers.prempex.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Hi Gavin,

recently I had a session with a friend of mine who plays guitar (I play bass mainly) and we were trying to record a song that we wrote and already had a sketch done for. We both were a little frustrated after the 10 hour session, because we weren't able to get the best performances done. What I mean is, that we were so concentrated on playing in time and not making any mistakes, that some of the articulation and dynamics were lost. I wanted to ask if you have faced similar problems and what your approach is to be able to perform in a mind setting where you feel "free" and confident you are not going to make mistakes. Do you practice a lot before recording drum tracks? Do you prefer to keep a take that has maybe one or two little mistakes (and maybe correct them afterwards), or do you record as often as it takes for track to be flawless?

cheers!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Hi again,

Thank you
David
Hey David,

Do you mean what chords he is playing? Well that it is easy to find the chords for the song online, or you can always watch the PT DVD and make out the chords he is playing (though the capo placement differs from the album and the DVD). Let me know if you are looking for the chords and I can PM you a link to it.

Brent
Old 04-12-2008, 10:17 PM

Thanks Gavin, the info is appreciated. I forgot that fitting two 22" kicks requires a lot of room!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:30 AM

Hey Gavin ,

did you cut the holders of your front splashes ? Sonor dont make them this size , dont they?

Best wishes
Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 AM

Hello Gavin,

I really love your snare sound on the song Deadwing (aswell as the whole Deadwing album in general.) And I'm wondering, what snare/snares did you use? How did you tune them? And what heads did you use?

Thanks,
Ronan
Old 04-13-2008, 01:53 PM

Hi Gavin & everyone

For those of you who struggle with the Search This Thread item, here some tips.

When you search for something like : Futile ,the first post it finds is on page 6

Gavin Harrison here! - Page 6 - DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM25 Jul 2006 ... oh my god , i just saw the futile video.... glad you're enjoying Futile - it's great fun to play. ...
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...p?t=698&page=6

But when you go to page 6 you will not find the above post, this is because on this forum page 1 is the last added page, while in the search engine page 1 is the first page added to this forum, understand??

So to find the correct page you have to substract 6 from the total of pages (see bottom of forum, which for now is:) 64 and you get page 58.

But you'll notice that it's not there either, but when you go to page 59 it's the first post.
This is because every page on the forum contains 34 posts except the last page (page 64) who has the 'rest'. And for every new post added to the forum all the posts are shifted through the pages.

While typing this post the number of posts on page 64 is 7 so when there are 34 - 7 = 27 posts added from now on there will be a new page added to the forum...and 34 post later another one.

So in short just substract the page found from the total of pages and your probably right on the correct page for the required post otherwise go one page higher.

Hope this helps...

Dre