DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi dairyairman,

i'm fascinated by the track "sentimental". it starts off with a quiet piano part that sounds like it might be in 11/4 or some combination of 5 and 6 count measures. then all of a sudden a very surprising and unexpected 4/4 drum groove starts, and the piano part is revealed to be a syncopation of that groove. that gets me every time! is that what you're talking about with your "rhythmic illusions" concept? and was any of that intro your idea?

Yes it is a quite simple "rhythmic illusion"...and, as you discovered it's all in 4/4. I came up with the quite strange drum loop in the verse and Steve played that 3 over 4 piano part to it. I suggested to isolate just the piano at the start to create that illusion for the listener.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 05-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

ha! i *knew* you had a hand in that! nice job! that's my favorite part of the whole cd. the first time i heard it i just about fell over backwards!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
2. Are you sure I slide a stick over the head? I remember doing it with my finger...and if that's what you're referring to - yes it's much easier on a coated head.

Cheers
Gavin
After going back and watching Hatesong on the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD, you are most definitely correct, you certianly do use your finger. All along I have always thought it was a stick slide. Nonetheless, it's a very unique and cool effect!

Thanks for answering my questions...I appreciate it.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin

Can I ask you to tell me (if you could make a chart it would be awesome) the sticking pattern of the cool toms groove (akind of jungle groove) on "Anesthetize". It a very interesting and musical groove, I like it alot. Your last album is excellent, I love your work.

Cheers & keep it up.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-24-2007, 09:21 AM

hi Gavin

a quick question and hope it has not been answered

in your book rythmic illusions (just got it after seeing your video - its amazing) when you play a grove which is displaced from the click are you keeping track where the 1 is in your head, or should you shout/sing the click or maybe keep the pulse with for instance the heel of your left foot (i tend to do this when learing a groove but is it something i should try and discorage because of stoping my learning curve? or is it irelevent). this technique helps me play the 16th note diplacements a lot easier.

i presume that this keeping track of the click while playing the "rythmic illusion" is the mental independence which gary chester cover in new breed.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:22 PM

Hi Gavin!

I think we´re all very pleased that you also answer some questions during a worldtour!
Congratulations about becoming best ProgDrummer, who else would be able to succeed the throne from Mr. Portnoy.

Just one little question. I noticed that you´re also playing a bass on your DVD. Did you have had any education in playing the bass, or is it just autodidactic learning by yourself?

Thanks an enjoy the tour!

Robert
Old 05-24-2007, 09:00 PM
michael drums

Hey Gavin,

Just saw you and PT @ The Rams' Head in Baltimore and REALLY enjoyed the show!! Especially your playing! WOW!! You're AMAZING!! I was standing near the front, on the right-center of the stage and had a GREAT view of you and couldn't take my eyes off of
what you were doin' with that kit! You TOTALLY impressed me with such excellent chops and flawless groove!

Though I don't want to dismiss the other guys for their PRECISE performance and PERFECT timing and tone! You guys have a fantastic unit of musicians that I HOPE stay together for a LOOOOONG time!! Good Luck on the rest of the tour, Gavin!

And I'll NEVER forget the smile you gave me when you saw me give you a thumbs-up and mouth the words "You're the best"! You probably won't remember that, but I WILL!!
Thanks again, Take Care and...DO Play On! ;-)
Old 05-25-2007, 01:56 AM
michael drums

Anyone else see Porcupine Tree Tuesday night @ The Rams' Head in Baltimore?

Wasn't Gavin AWESOME?!! Let's hear from y'all out there! Give Gavin an e-High 5! ;-)

Last edited by michael drums; 05-25-2007 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:57 AM

Hey Gavin!

Quick question: How do you make that finger-rubbing thing on Hatesong and on Swerve Pt. 2 (on your DVD)? It can't just a simple slide on the head... There's gotta be a technique behind this, because I just can't do it!

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2007, 05:21 AM

Hello Gavin,

I've been a Progressive Rock fan since I attended the 1974 Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans show. Lately I've been listening to Porcupine Tree and had the chance to see the Arriving Somewhere... DVD with a friend that plays drums. I too have had a little experience in the 7th grade as the drummer in band class, and of course air drums throughout the years. Anyway your drumming style really inspired us both.

We've both been Peart fans since he joined Rush. But while my friend has always leaned toward Blues as an influence, I've leaned toward Jazz, due to the syncopated rhythms.

I recently purchased a 5 piece set of Tama RockStars and some cheap Zildjians (ZBT sheets) to get started. I've also purchased your Rhythmic Horizons DVD.

I was wondering if you could give me a few ideas on a good method of exercising, in terms of strength, timing and speed. I mean, were there any fundamental exercises you used in your earlier years as a development tool?

I'm really surprised to see you spend time here because I know you've got to be busy. ;) So no worries if you can't find the time.

Rock on!

ProgRock

P.S. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys live one of these days soon. Take Care!

Last edited by ProgRock; 05-25-2007 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-25-2007, 05:59 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi mind_drummer,
basically it's something like this. 16ths around the toms with these accents..

R l r l r r L r r l r r L r l l R l r l r r L r r l r r L R l l

cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Hi Gavin

Can I ask you to tell me (if you could make a chart it would be awesome) the sticking pattern of the cool toms groove (akind of jungle groove) on "Anesthetize". It a very interesting and musical groove, I like it alot..
Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi mr_hayward_99

in your book rythmic illusions -when you play a grove which is displaced from the click are you keeping track where the 1 is in your head, or should you shout/sing the click or maybe keep the pulse with for instance the heel of your left foot

I always keep track of where the "1" is. Tapping your foot on the hi hat works too - especially if there's no click.

Hi Braui

I noticed that you´re also playing a bass on your DVD. Did you have had any education in playing the bass, or is it just autodidactic learning by yourself?

I didn't have any lessons - it's all things I've picked up along the way. I was inspired by the way Tony Levin plays the bass with his "finger sticks" - so I thought I'd try playing with a drum stick. It saves me getting blisters!!

Hi michael drums,

glad you enjoyed our show.

Hi Heitor

How do you make that finger-rubbing thing on Hatesong and on Swerve Pt. 2 (on your DVD)? It can't just a simple slide on the head... There's gotta be a technique behind this, because I just can't do it!

I don't really know the tune Swerve Part 2 ? - but the technique is a conga technique - if you know any conga players ask them to show. It works on friction and a very light touch.

Hi Progrock,

I was wondering if you could give me a few ideas on a good method of exercising, in terms of strength, timing and speed. I mean, were there any fundamental exercises you used in your earlier years as a development tool?

I use to practise a lot of single and double stroke rolls and paradiddle combinations on a pad to a metronome. There's lots of good snare drum exercise books out there too...but nothing can replace having a good teacher.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi mind_drummer,
basically it's something like this. 16ths around the toms with these accents..

R l r l r r L r r l r r L r l l R l r l r r L r r l r r L R l l

cheers
Gavin
Thank's a lot Gavin

Now let take that into my practice sessions.

Oh ! I forgot to tell you, you're AN AWESOME DRUMMER.

Definitely on top of my "most inspirational drummer" list.

Take care & A+

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-26-2007, 12:56 AM

Hey Gavin; excellent show in NYC on 5/19, you and PT were fantastic- I think Anesthetize was spot on perfect, it was also great hearing Mother and Child Divided and Gravity Eyelids in concert as well the other tunes that were not in your last show there back in October- great lineup. I hope you guys stay together for a while, you truly are an exceptional band. Take Care; JR
Old 05-26-2007, 05:37 AM

Hey Gavin nice opening gig in Glasgow mate. I have been preaching about Amplifier for a few years now..i think i mentioned them a while ago.

I was wondering what ride you used on Anesthetize?. Its lovely crystal clear. I was also wondering how you get your drags sounding so tight and dynamic if you do any specifc exercise or rudiment.

Also..i didnt realise you played with Black and Go West back in the day. Two great 80's bands. Wonderful Life used to be used by a famous Edinburgh insurance company but it had to get dropped due to bereaved benificiaries phoning up and hearing that.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:36 AM

Hey Gavin great show in Philly on the 23rd!

I noticed on the arriving dvd and at last nights show that it looks like you and Richard look at each other and have little inside jokes during shows, is that the case?

Also, i've seen porcupine tree 3 different times and also have the dvd and live cds going back to before you were in the band, and i like the fact that it seems like every tour has a few back catalogue songs that might not have been regulars in the setlist on previous tours. From your experience in the band does that just sort of happen or is there an effort to play older songs that might have gotten overlooked on past tours? And out of curiousity, have you ever performed ambulance chasing or the full length even less? I was pleasantly suprised to hear buying new soul during the last tour in the states and wonder if anything else from recordings gets played every now and then.

And sorry one last question... Do you know if Stevens voice was bothering him in philly? He sounded great but i was suprised by how many spots he dropped out and let wesley sing by himself. i'm sure if he has allergies its a terrible time of year for his throat.

Anyway thanks again for answering everyones questions and I hope its not turning into a chore for you!

John
Old 05-26-2007, 06:04 PM

Hey, Gavin. I just saw PT for the first time at the Roxy in Boston last night (spent the first half of the show on the stairs above you and Colin and the second half trying to weasle my way to the stage) and I thought that this particular venue was great. Does PT usually play such a small place when you come to New England?

A second question: I read that the fills you play are brought about from what felt right in the music at the time (spontaneity) more than some arsenal of fills. I was wondering if you at least had some favorite stickings/rudiments/polyrhythms that you like to work with (alot of your fills feel like they could be swiss army triplets [3 over 4] with some slight manipulation of the natural accent). I have a hard time comprehending the idea of creating a fill on the spot with out some sort of preperation, though this could be the lack of a jazz background that i have...

Thanks for your time,
Austin
Old 05-27-2007, 12:55 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi TomasHakkesBrain,

I was wondering what ride you used on Anesthetize?. Its lovely crystal clear. I was also wondering how you get your drags sounding so tight and dynamic if you do any specifc exercise or rudiment.

That ride cymbal is a late 1940's Avedis Zildjian that I got from my late drum teacher Joe Hodson. I can't think of a specific exercise regarding the drags - sorry.

Hi deadwing_007

From your experience in the band does that just sort of happen or is there an effort to play older songs that might have gotten overlooked on past tours? And out of curiousity, have you ever performed ambulance chasing or the full length even less?

We just pick songs that we like to play. There's no conscious effort to do songs that might have got overlooked. I've never performed Ambulance Chasing or the full length Even Less.

Hi ZDrums24

I just saw PT for the first time at the Roxy in Boston last night. Does PT usually play such a small place when you come to New England?

A second question: I read that the fills you play are brought about from what felt right in the music at the time (spontaneity) more than some arsenal of fills. I was wondering if you at least had some favorite stickings/rudiments/polyrhythms that you like to work with (alot of your fills feel like they could be swiss army triplets [3 over 4] with some slight manipulation of the natural accent).

Actually we played to more people in the Roxy than we did in the Berklee Performance center. Yes you are correct I do love manipulating the swiss army triplet.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-28-2007, 12:56 AM

Wow, first I wanna say, you are an amazing drummer! Second, you guys played an AMAZING show on 5/23 in Philly, I'm so glad I was so close! I basically did not take my eye off of you while you played, I was in awe! Anyway, I watched your Rhythmic Visions dvd with a friend, and it made me really mad (but in a good way! lol) Your understanding of time, subdivisions, and just music in general is phenomenal! How long did it take you to get a good solid understanding of these things? Thanks for your time! -Josh

Edit: I also forgot one thing. Please tell Mr. Edwin he would be so much more awesome if he would show a little more emotion on stage :-). Just kidding! Take it easy!

Last edited by XboxIsAGodToMe; 05-28-2007 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:57 AM

Hi Gavin, I've been a fan of your work with PT since In Absentia was out. It's just mindblowing. Just one question, do PT is ever planning to come to central america? There are tons of fans who would love too see you guys over here. :)

Best wishes...
Old 05-29-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxIsAGodToMe View Post
Edit: I also forgot one thing. Please tell Mr. Edwin he would be so much more awesome if he would show a little more emotion on stage :-). Just kidding! Take it easy!
I think he just does what he needs to do and thats ok. I saw nummerous bands (usually support groups) with band members that showed too much emotion. That irritates me more then almost no emotion.

Reminds me of the bassplayer from the Who, he was the only guy that just played and everytime he did a step aside. At the end of the gig, he was almost behind the curtain...
Old 05-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Congratulations to you Gavin for beeing voted No. 1 Prog Drummer in the Modern Drummer Poll 2007!!!!

Great!!!

Bernhard
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2007, 03:49 PM

Congratulations Gavin !!!

If i could, i'll give you the "online drummer teacher Award"

Best wishes and thank you

alex
Old 05-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

I told you on HOD but still I'll do it here too...

CONGRATS !!!

Well deserved ;-)

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-29-2007, 10:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks for the kind words about the MD award guys!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 05-29-2007, 11:57 PM

You had my vote. It's good to see that it goes to someone who deserves it!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Congrats Gavin! Your the person who deserved it the most!

Sam
Old 05-30-2007, 02:02 AM

Hey Gavin !

Congratulations for winning the title "Best Prog drummer".
I was so happy reading this news.
You have reached this aim by musical quality and not by just playing in a famous band.
Love the peaces you drum on Rhytmic Vision. The movement of your arms and hands looks so easy and smooth... and so the sound. You should receive the titles "best allround" and "best Studio drummer" too !!! :)

Your foot technique looks for me like the famous flat foot technique .. right ?
You dont use much finger control ... more hand motion .... right ?

See you in Frakfurt Offenbach ^^ .... of course

Nice greetings from germany my drumming hero !

Timbo
Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Gavin,

Congrats! on winning Best Prog Drummer in the modern drummer poll.

One quick question: During the recording of this latest cd, were you using Ambassador coated heads on the bottom of your drums or clear diplomats?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Hey Gavin! Sam again!

Okay, I'm def going to buy the Mackie 24:8. One question about a certain function. (if you use it at least). In the manual the say that it has a "switch" function, where you can switch between "downmixing" and "tracking". I know that it doesn't have flying faders. But is it like emulated in that way?

So you track the drums. Okay, everything is recorded in Nuendo (with two interfaces and everything) Little eq'd on the mackie.

Now I want to downmix ... what happens? The signal of the drums goes back in to the mackie? And i can adjust the volume?

Sorry if I'm being anoying. No one I know has that mixing desk.

Sam
Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Timbo,

Your foot technique looks for me like the famous flat foot technique .. right ?
You don't use much finger control ... more hand motion .... right ?

No, I always play heel up on the bass drum pedals (never flat foot) - I use both finger control and hand/wrist motion.

Hi crookedrook

One quick question: During the recording of this latest cd, were you using Ambassador coated heads on the bottom of your drums or clear diplomats?

Actually they were clear ambassadors on the bottoms - the ones that came on the Sonor kit - and Coated Emperors on the tops of the toms.

Hi Sam

Now I want to downmix ... what happens? The signal of the drums goes back in to the mackie? And i can adjust the volume?

The 32:8 Mackie is not a digital desk - you cannot control your computer from it. Once I have recorded my drums into the computer - I mix using the virtual faders inside the computer program. I don't really use the Mackie in the mixing process other than listening to the stereo output from the computer.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 05-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Oh ok! Thx Gavin!

Sam
Old 05-31-2007, 12:44 AM

Hey Gavin,

Regarding finger control, watching your DVD's and other video's it looks like you grip the stick with your index and middlefinger, with the thumb in between.

With this grip does the finger control comes from the middlefinger, ringfinger and little finger, but mostly from the middlefinger??

I've noticed that you sometimes play the (hi-hat) with the thumb up and sometimes sideways. But mostly sideways. Is this to play different dynamics , speeds?? And do you do it conscious?

Did you pay a lot of attention to how you gripped the sticks in your early years or did it evolve through the years.

Did your marimba playing had any influence in the grip.

I know many questions, but I'm very interested in how you do it, it seems to me that your grip is a big part of your clean execution.

Greetz
Dre
Old 05-31-2007, 01:25 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drizzle,
I have a variety of grips going on. Most of the time I grip the left stick at the absolute back of the stick with my little finger. My grip with the right stick focuses around my middle and index finger and use the middle and third finger for manipulating the stick...and again I tend to hold it right at the back end of the stick.
I do move from German to French grip quite instinctively - I never think about it when I'm playing.

I don't really play marimba - that was just for the video.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 AM

Hi Gavin,

If I'm not mistaken, you said you do not know or use the Moeller technique.

But Moeller is also about gripping the stick with the little finger, especially when you have to hit hard.

There's a nice website on it :
http://www.digbydoodle.com/MOELLER/M...Jazz-rock1.htm

When you practiced your singles and doubles did you use both French and German style or mostly German. And would you grip the stick tight or loose.

Thanks,
Dre
Old 05-31-2007, 04:22 AM

Hi Gavin,

A few questions if I may:

Are you using larger, heavier sticks for the tour? Are you playing harder in a tour setting than in the studio?

Lastly, the brief drum fill (solo) on the track FOABP is so well executed! What's the time signature for that fill? Are you using both kick pedals and using your left foot to brush the hi-hat pedal too, or are you playing doubles on one foot for the kick?

Thanks - looking forward to Chicago again!
Jeff
Old 05-31-2007, 06:17 AM

Hey Gavin,
Congrats on the MD reader poll and the new album. I was curious about the 3rd video from the Musikmesse. First of all, excellent performance! Just wondering who you wrote that piece with, and if you plan on writting anymore with him/her/them? Take care and God bless.

MM
Old 05-31-2007, 07:27 AM

Hi Gavin,

I came across your video (on this site) called Futile and I just had a quick couple of questions about your snare used in the video:

What brand/model/dimensions is it? I am guessing Sonor but I could be wrong.

What heads are you using?

Last one: Are those snare cables you are using or the 8 strand "modified" Puresounds that I read about in an earlier post.

It's pretty obvious that I really enjoyed your snare sound .... and performance as well.

Great drumming and many thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:51 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Drizzle,

When you practiced your singles and doubles did you use both French and German style or mostly German. And would you grip the stick tight or loose.

Yes I use both grips and the sticks are always pretty loose.

Hi JeffV71

Are you using larger, heavier sticks for the tour? Are you playing harder in a tour setting than in the studio?

Lastly, the brief drum fill (solo) on the track FOABP is so well executed! What's the time signature for that fill? Are you using both kick pedals and using your left foot to brush the hi-hat pedal too, or are you playing doubles on one foot for the kick?

I'm using Vic Firth "rock" hickory and yes I do play heavier on tour than I do in the studio.
The FOABP fill is two bars of 4/4 - it's coming out of a section in 5/8. I use the double pedal on that and have the hi hat cymbals 'dropped' on the clutch.

Hi Midnite Mike,

I was curious about the 3rd video from the Musikmesse. Just wondering who you wrote that piece with, and if you plan on writing anymore with him/her/them?

That piece is called "Quite Firm" written by the bass player on that track Laurence Cottle (a good friend of mine). I'd love to play some more of his 'big band' type tunes. That tune is featured on my first DVD Rhythmic Visions.

Hi RogerTheShrubber,

I came across your video (on this site) called Futile and I just had a quick couple of questions about your snare used in the video:
What brand/model/dimensions is it? I am guessing Sonor but I could be wrong.
What heads are you using?
Last one: Are those snare cables you are using or the 8 strand "modified" Puresounds that I read about in an earlier post.

The snare on that track is a Sonor 14x6 "Cottonwood" and it has a Remo Coated Ambassador on top and - yes it has the modified 8 strand Puresound snare wires on it.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-01-2007, 04:41 AM

Hi Gavin,

I'm not a drummer, but I've got a question more from a physics standpoint regarding your use of a single bass drum with a double kick pedal vs. using two bass drums, which came to mind with the release of Fear of a Blank Planet. Is there any loss in the sound quality or resolution of the bass drum from some of the rapid double kick passages on FoaBP? The issue I was considering was the relaxation time of both the drum head and the standing waves set up with in the drum chamber itself. I notice the front head of your bass drum has a hole, which I assume is to create shorter sustain, but does it decay fast enough so that you avoid interference during very rapid song passages? I really don't know much about the properties of the drum head, i.e. vibrational modes, decay rates, etc, so I couldn't sit down and calculate anything to put this argument on a more firm theoretical ground. It seemed to me, at least to first order, interference effects could creep in that could muddle the articulation of an individual note during the most rapid double kicks (not that I'm claiming to have heard anything like that in the recordings - my ear isn't good enough). I almost asked you about this after your show in Toronto, but I figured you'd rather not field physics questions right after a show :) Great show, btw...

Cheers,

Scott