DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin!
Just curious to ask - the cymbals (asking for hats and ride) in your last posted video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCzpafGE7Qk
are 13" k hats and 20" ride? Asking because I'm looking forward to buy some and maybe need some advices... That should by my first hi end cymbal set so I'm looking for as much versatile cymbals as possible. For instance I stuck over Zildjian 22" K light ride and was absolutely blown away by it, but it was little bit washy. Do you think you can use that kind of washy cymbals not only in quiet setups but also in rock (and harder) stuff? Thanks for any suggestion! Hope I don't bother you with that kind of questions...
P.S. Do you have some plans for playing somewhere in Germany/Austria/Czech republic/Poland? Wanna see you again:-)
Thanks!
Adam
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zegers View Post
Hi Gavin!

I was wondering if I can get my hands on a full tanscription of The Sound Of Muzak. I've been searching for a while and have had no luck.

Thanks, Bob Zegers

I've seen some transcriptions, but they really just show you the basic groove with no variation. The best lesson on that song is just to watch the Modern Drummer vid of Gavin performing that song.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zegers
Hi Gavin!

I was wondering if I can get my hands on a full tanscription of The Sound Of Muzak. I've been searching for a while and have had no luck.

Thanks, Bob Zegers

I've seen some transcriptions, but they really just show you the basic groove with no variation. The best lesson on that song is just to watch the Modern Drummer vid of Gavin performing that song.
Get the Modern Drummer October 2007 issue. There's a whole three-page note-for-note transcription. Do a search on ebay.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 PM

Hi Gavin

I was wondering if you could tell us a little about how you tune your drums. The rest of the band changes key fairly often so how do you manage to make the drums sound so good all the time? Do you tune to any specific notes or rather where you feel each drum sounds best (individually and in relation to the other drums).

Also in the pics posted above I see you're using the Tama Speed Cobras. Have you switched to them from Axis or was it just for that masterclass? If yes, why?

Thanks for your time,
Alex
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM

Hi Gavin,

I was wondering how you prepare for performance. I am referring to mental preparation before the show..... like Yoga, Meditation or so.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi CameronADD

Thanks for getting back to me on the Monkey Puzzle Studio thing. Bonnie the Cat was named after Rupert Matthews' cat, right? :)

Correct!

Also, just a quick question, do you ever clean your cymbals? If so, how often, and how do you do it?

I never clean my cymbals.

Hi supermac

As a 'master of beat manipulation', I'd be keen on some advice from you on five-note groupings.The latest Rythmn magazine has a nice linear fill exercise where a group of 32 16th notes is broken up into six groups of five notes and then two notes, equalling, of course, 32 notes. I pretty much lose track of the underlying 4/4 groove totally.
Any tips on 'feeling' the excercise as opposed to counting it?

Try tapping on your legs RLRLL x 6 plus RL whilst tapping your foot in quarter notes. See if that makes 'feeling' 5's any easier.

Hi Nickropolis

The Sonor Prolite sounded great, 10-12-14-16-18-20 14 snare (I think).

thanks for the pictures. The set is actually 8,10,12,14,16, 22 bass drum and a 13" snare - apart from that you were spot on !!

Hi DsDrummer

I chose The Sound of Muzak. I have a question about what you're doing during the guitar solo towards the middle. A few measures before you going onto the ride you do two little fills with open and closed hi-hat and the snare drum. Can you help me with what your really doing. I watched the Modern Drummer DVD several times and it just goes by way too fast for me to understand what's going on.

Really, I think it would be better if you came up with your own fills - it would add more of your character to the performance. The fill you're talking about is basically flams between the tom and snare and then the right hand goes over to the opened hi hat (plus a bass drum I think). I'm using groupings of 3 or 5 sixteenths.

Hi Juan Exposito

What is your thought about using a drum riser in your home studio ?

it's just so I can move the kit around my room for a different sound - and closer or further away from my live room where I have separate mics set up to catch the ambiance.

Hi cramin2

I recognized that you made a big band version of Futile, but I stopped trying to identify the second PT song for big band halfway through and focused on your inspiring drumming. What was the second big band song you played?

Cheating The Polygraph. Glad you enjoyed the clinic!

Hi euphoric_anomaly

What are the differences between your "Futile" double bass pattern (you know, the one that leaves the audiences jaw on the floor) and Meshuggah's "Bleed"?

"cwoodruff" kind of got it right. The pattern during that section of Futile is four 32nd notes in between each hi hat note (which itself is playing dotted 8th notes), whereas Bleed is (primarily) continuously two 32nds followed by two 16ths in a 4/4 feel.

Hi TKIE

Just curious to ask - the cymbals (asking for hats and ride) in your last posted video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCzpafGE7Qk are 13" k hats and 20" ride?

yes that's correct. They're good all round versatile cymbals.

Hi Alex Temperley

I was wondering if you could tell us a little about how you tune your drums. The rest of the band changes key fairly often so how do you manage to make the drums sound so good all the time? Do you tune to any specific notes or rather where you feel each drum sounds best (individually and in relation to the other drums).

I don't tune to specific notes - if you look back through this forum thread you'll find the relative intervals. I don't think my toms have such easily identifiable pitches to them - so it doesn't matter what key the rest of the band are playing in.

Also in the pics posted above I see you're using the Tama Speed Cobras. Have you switched to them from Axis or was it just for that masterclass? If yes, why?

I switched to Tama Speed Cobras almost two years ago. I just felt I could get more power from them with less effort. I can't play any faster though.

Hi dr_flam

I was wondering how you prepare for performance. I am referring to mental preparation before the show..... like Yoga, Meditation or so.

No I just try to be in an atmosphere that is void of distractions. I don't really want folks outside of the band in the dressing room for 30 minutes before the show. That way I can focus on the job at hand and not have to sit there listening to someone telling me about their sister's eye operation or the fact that their uncle has hemorrhoids.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
and not have to sit there listening to someone telling me about their sister's eye operation or the fact that their uncle has hemorrhoids.

cheers
Gavin
Dammit Harrison, you've ruined my party conversation piece ;)

Still out of the country for the London Drum Show Gavin?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 AM

Hi Gavin,

Cool to hear you are doing bigband arrangements of PT tunes. I was pleasantly surprised with Futile last year in Meppel. Looking forward to the other tunes!

Two questions; I was listening to the PT Rockpalast show and you played the tune So called friend. I had the idea that there was a backing track running with percussion during the verses where you play mostly toms. Is it indeed a percussion track? It sounds a bit like a tabla or egyptian hand drum to me.

Secondly, how do you feel when other drummers are playing your parts? For example, Marco Minneman playing the Insurgentes material with the SW band or a guy on youtube doing GH/05ric tunes? Does it inspire you to see other people play "your parts"?

[edit]
Looking at the iDrum magazine video. Is that a Beyer M88 on your low floortom?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 PM

Hey, Gavin.

First of all, I want to tell you I really admire you and I love your work. Keep rocking!

Now, looking at previous posts, I managed to understand what you are doing in the drums during the verses in the song "Cheating the Polygraph". Before seeing the sketch you posted, I couldn't see that you were doing a 7/8 rhythm. However, I've spent quite some time and I still don't quite get what Steven is doing with the voice. I know you say he is singing in 6/8, but I am not sure how to match that rhythm with the verses Steven is singing, nor how to match that 6/8 rhythm with the 7/8 rhythm you are playing.

Does Steven has his own 6/8 rhythm independent from what you are playing, and every certain amount of beats the voice matches up with the drums?

What I wish to be able to do is be able to count the beats of Stevens rhythm, like 1-2-3 1-2-3 or something like that, but I am not able to determine which are the downbeats of Steven's voice rhythm. Is there any way you can explain in more detail how the voice is arranged in this song?

Thank you!
:)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 AM

That way I can focus on the job at hand and not have to sit there listening to someone telling me about their sister's eye operation or the fact that their uncle has hemorrhoids.

cheers
Gavin[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHHA!!!! Gavin certainly fits his Gemini sun sign.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 AM

Hi Gavin!

I was wondering if you could give some more insights to the sound aspects and improvements that you had when you started using S-Hoops!

I've been looking to put them in my drumset but first I wanted your opinion on the product!

Best wishes from Rio de Janeiro! Thanks!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:42 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi keep it simple

Still out of the country for the London Drum Show Gavin?

yes I will be far away by then...

Oct 14 Tokyo
Oct 15 Taipei
Oct 16 Hong Kong
Oct 18 Bangkok
Oct 19 Manila
Oct 21Kuala Lumpur
Oct 22 Singapore
Oct 25 Beijing
Oct 26 Chengdu

Hi SantiBanks

Two questions; I was listening to the PT Rockpalast show and you played the tune So called friend. I had the idea that there was a backing track running with percussion during the verses where you play mostly toms. Is it indeed a percussion track? It sounds a bit like a tabla or egyptian hand drum to me.

yes there are some Octobans on a track.

Secondly, how do you feel when other drummers are playing your parts? For example, Marco Minneman playing the Insurgentes material with the SW band or a guy on youtube doing GH/05ric tunes? Does it inspire you to see other people play "your parts"?

I don't really feel anything. There's more personality in 'how' you play something than 'what' you play. Everyone who plays those parts brings their own thing to them.

Looking at the iDrum magazine video. Is that a Beyer M88 on your low floortom?

correct. Yet another one of my Sennheiser 421s had broken.

Hi Tyrael

Now, looking at previous posts, I managed to understand what you are doing in the drums during the verses in the song "Cheating the Polygraph". Before seeing the sketch you posted, I couldn't see that you were doing a 7/8 rhythm. However, I've spent quite some time and I still don't quite get what Steven is doing with the voice. I know you say he is singing in 6/8, but I am not sure how to match that rhythm with the verses Steven is singing, nor how to match that 6/8 rhythm with the 7/8 rhythm you are playing.
Does Steven has his own 6/8 rhythm independent from what you are playing, and every certain amount of beats the voice matches up with the drums?

I would say that Steve is just listening to the bass drum downbeats and snare drum offbeat accents and treating it as 6/8 (ignoring the 7/16s in between). He sings it pretty fluid and loose anyway and it creates a strange rhythmic tension.

Hi Heitor

I was wondering if you could give some more insights to the sound aspects and improvements that you had when you started using S-Hoops!

I really like what they do for the drums. Especially useful on the snare drum. I like to use 'O' rings to dampen my snare drum and they fit right in under the flange. I've never been a fan of Die-Cast hoops (except on tight jazzy drums). If you haven't tried one yet start with getting one for the top of a snare drum and see what you think.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM

Thanks Gavin :)
And cool! Just noticed you will play at the Boerderij in Zoetermeer next year with 05ric! See you there :)
Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Hello Gavin! A long time fan right here.

A guitarist from our school (Pop&Jazz Conservatory Lappia, Tornio, Finland) is doing his
thesis on Porcupine Tree in around three months from now. I got the drummers seat, lucky me right :D Anyhow, I was wondering if you (or anyone else in here) has got the drum
transcriptions for the following songs (album versions);

Blackest Eyes
Open Car
Sound of Muzak
Halo
Normal
Hatesong
Trains

This would ease my workload quite significatly since I'm also working with five bands atm
and planning my own thesis aswell. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 AM

Hi Patonk1,

I posted in this forum some of these transcriptions (Blackest Eyes, Open Car and Halo). There are probably a few mistakes (I did them a few years ago...).
If you can't find them, i can send you the files by mail.

Bye !

Alex P.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

I was just wondering does Steven use effects on his microphone sometimes when playing live with Porcupine Tree? I can hear a distortion effect in Sleep Together. If so what effects does he use and are they triggered by him or someone else?

Also, I really like your playing on the song Always There by Incognito, what kind of techniques are you using to play the really fast slick sounding hi hat licks? Are they single strokes? I had difficulty getting my technique clean and fast when jamming to that song for a bit.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljacker View Post
Hi Gavin,

I was just wondering does Steven use effects on his microphone sometimes when playing live with Porcupine Tree? I can hear a distortion effect in Sleep Together. If so what effects does he use and are they triggered by him or someone else?
Not to speak for Gavin (he knows probably better) but yes Steven uses effects. Reverbs, delays, EQ (for those telephone style vocals) and distortion. I would assume that the sound engineer dials these in. PT uses Ian Bond as sound engineer for some tours now if my memory serves me well. I assume he knows the music pretty good now.

This is also what a band does with dress rehearsals: thats the time when there is more focus on the general mix of the band sound, the effects, the light and other show elements. Usually bands nowadays use a digital desk where settings can be recalled. So during dress rehearsals, a rough mix is made with EQ settings etc. made. Then its a matter of skipping through them during concert and tweaking/adjusting where needed (because every venue is different).

Studiowise, I read that Steven Wilson likes a lot of the standard Digidesign plugins (bombfactory, sansamp, he has a TDM setup) and his line6 stuff. I think he uses his line6 pod for processing vocals (distortion).
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 PM

Hi Gavin!

I've got 2 questions.

First: About Your Speed Cobra. According to what I know about longboard pedals (or in this case longer boarded pedals), the height (or the angle) of the pedal board (on it's most raised setting) is a bit lower/smaller, than on a short/regular board pedals.
Meaning: at the point of impact, the pedalboard is lower, so the feet needs to be "stretched down" more from the ankle, than on a shortboard. (I hope you understand what I mean!)
How true is this in case of the Speed Cobra? Because I like my pedalboards as raised as possible, so I can use as much power as possible with a lot less amount of movement from the ankle. My current pedal is only a longboard, and because of the design, I can't really raise it as much as I'd like to.

Second: What is your opinion on ping rides and heavy rides?
'Cause I like the sound of a clean, articulate, warm sounding ride, but - I think - the thicker heavy rides tend to "ring" a lot longer than I'd like them to, plus they usually have a higher tone (due to their thickness) that I don't like, and the ping rides have almost no "ring" at all. They might have the sound I'm after, but they might sound "drier" than they should. So I think, the real "treasure" is somewhere in between those. What do you think?

Cheers from Hungary,
Matthew
Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 AM

Hey Gavin,

I was wondering if, before you created your recent signature stick with Vic Firth, what size stick did you used to use? I know the dimensions of your signature stick are close to that of the "Rock" series, but did you always use the Rock series? Or did you used to use something like a 2B or 5B?

Cheers,

- D
Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Hey,
I've been reading this thread quite a while and nearly all the questions I had, are pretty much answered now.

Therefore I want to thank Mr. Harrsion for his helpful advices and of course for his patience to answer almost every question, and some of them not just once ;)

I also have to say, that your...yeah lets say 'philosphy' of drumming has changed my approach of developing my own drum skills completely! Besides that your musical output is almost always my cup of tea!

Thank you for the music!

@HutchinsonDrummer

I think the signature sticks are the same size like the 'rock model' version. They are a bit thicker than the 5B sticks. I ordered the 'rock model' sticks, but I'm struggling a bit with them because I'm not very tall (5,5ft) and of course my hands are smaller than the hands of Mr. Harrison (guesswork of course ;) ), it feels not very comfortabe to me to play them.

As a solution I use them to practise rudiments (on a pillow) with them, simply because it trains my muscles more, then my 'normal' 5A Sticks.

best regards

Christian
Old 10-15-2012, 02:54 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Souljacker

I think it's a Line 6 POD.

Also, I really like your playing on the song Always There by Incognito, what kind of techniques are you using to play the really fast slick sounding hi hat licks? Are they single strokes? I had difficulty getting my technique clean and fast when jamming to that song for a bit.

all double strokes.

Hi szokematyi

First: About Your Speed Cobra. According to what I know about longboard pedals (or in this case longer boarded pedals), the height (or the angle) of the pedal board (on it's most raised setting) is a bit lower/smaller, than on a short/regular board pedals.
How true is this in case of the Speed Cobra? Because I like my pedalboards as raised as possible, so I can use as much power as possible with a lot less amount of movement from the ankle.

With the Speed Cobra you can independently adjust the height of the foot board against the angle of the beater. So if you REALLY wanted to - you could have the foot board on maximum height and the beater 1cm from the bass drum head.

'Cause I like the sound of a clean, articulate, warm sounding ride, but - I think - the thicker heavy rides tend to "ring" a lot longer than I'd like them to, plus they usually have a higher tone (due to their thickness) that I don't like, and the ping rides have almost no "ring" at all. They might have the sound I'm after, but they might sound "drier" than they should. So I think, the real "treasure" is somewhere in between those. What do you think?

If what you want is a lot of stick definition (but nice cymbal tone) I would recommend the Zildjian K 20" ride. It has a great rock bell on it too.

Hi HutchinsonDrummer

I was wondering if, before you created your recent signature stick with Vic Firth, what size stick did you used to use? I know the dimensions of your signature stick are close to that of the "Rock" series, but did you always use the Rock series? Or did you used to use something like a 2B or 5B?

I used the Rock model for a few years and before that the SD1 model. I don't think I've ever used 2B or 5B. Sometimes in quieter situations I have used 5a Extreme.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Hey there,

I myself am not a drummer so I realise this question may be out of place here, but my friend (who is very much a drummer) and I still rank you above the best of the best.

Anyway before I continue to fanboy, my friend wants to cover your rendition of Laurence Cottle's "Quite Firm" for one of his end-of-school music performance exams. Would it be at all possible for you to send either a notated arrangement of the band backing track you use or the backing track itself for him to play along to with a click?

If there're any related issues preventing you from doing so it would be entirely understandable. But if you could send anything to my email at kmsh95@hotmail.com it would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 PM

Gavin! I love you! Thanks for doing this thread and for being an inspiration to all of us, you make me more excited about drumming than most anyone! That aside, what is your favourite colour? If you weren't drumming what instrument would you choose to play? Also I have ordered a pair of your sticks so I will be as good as you very soon
Old 10-18-2012, 09:16 PM

Gavin,

How often do you use traditional grip? I've seen you switch on and off on some video's, but only for a short period of time (1 bar for example). I've never gotten into traditional grip, it feels unnatural and uncomfortable to hold the stick. I guess I'm just a matched grip type of guy.

Last question: Is Nil Recurring (the song) in 6/8? I absolutely love that breakdown after the grinding heavy chorus, how you and Colin just slip into a darker tone, the hi-hat notes are especially pronounced even at a low volume, just amazing.

Thanks for your time
Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 PM

I just saw you perform Sound of Muzak on Youtube, and it blew me away. I went straight to the iTunes store and bought the track. I hope I'm not repeating someone elses question: On the album version, what is the splash cymbal you hit at the very first stroke? It sounds awesome!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hi Souljacker

If what you want is a lot of stick definition (but nice cymbal tone) I would recommend the Zildjian K 20" ride. It has a great rock bell on it too.
I second this - I have a K Ride 20" and it's a beauty. You have a nice stick definition with just the right amount of cymbal tone under it so it doesn't sound like a heavy ride, but it's not washed out by it. Also has a nice crash too it when played a little heavier.

Gavin - Do you ever crash your ride or do you rely on your crash cymbals for this? The angle of your ride suggests not, but just wondered anyhow.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM

Hi Gavin!

Maybe you can help cause I can't get my brain around this one. I'm playing 16 even notes on top of 5 8th notes. I can't figure out what note value the 16 notes have or at least my sequencer can't find a grid where these notes will fit evenly. Any ideas? Basically I'm playing 4 even notes over 5 32nd notes I guess so that suggests a 4 over 5 polyrhythm? But what would the note value be and how would I write it?

I can provide an audio example if you want to.

All the best
Peter
Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

great work on the new album "Routes" by Ed! :)
You did a great take on 'Goofy' - liked it more than the one I did, haha :)

I've got a question about recording whole albums..
When I record my drums and compare the songs later, the drums always sound pretty different.
When I listen to the new Routes album it seems like the sound was pretty much the same basically. (Actually on all albums I hear..)

So, how do you record an album?
Do you have one logic-project you record all songs in? Or do you create a template with "basic-settings" that you like and just do slightly changes?

Thank you very much
David

Last edited by David Floegel; 10-22-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Silver Member

Had a great time with at the Clinic by Gavin Harrison...some pics...

Though I forgot to ask a question hopefully Mr Gavin can answer it.

My question is...

Why were your Overhead Mics in that position? (Both on the Right side)
Also does the 8" tom look different from the other toms?

Here's a pic on what I meant :)

Old 10-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Babybob,

I was there too. The largest Mat Salleh in the room. I was actually lookng for you, but could not see anyone looking like your avitar.
It was a great clinic. The drums sounded great and some fantastic playing. I am now officially a Gavin Harrison fan.
He also demo' ed the gen-16 cymbals. They sound really bad! The room or the PA system(Nexo) cannot be blamed - they just sound bad. Removed from my shopping list!
Full house - they had to put in extra chairs.
Bentley music had a good discount on selected Zildjian cymbals. I walked away with 15" and 18" Zildjian K dark medium thin crashes. Had them on my shopping list and am pleased with the discount.
The queue for autographs after the clinic was a mile long. I gave up on that.

Sonor is not the most common brand in Malaysia. Most likely the shop did not have the 8" tom the same color as the rest of the kit.

Gavin said the snare was a 12x5 Phonic. It sounded awesome!

He hits much harder than I expected and really got a good tone out of the drums.

Thx

Jorn
Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornthedrummer View Post
Babybob,

I was there too. The largest Mat Salleh in the room. I was actually lookng for you, but could not see anyone looking like your avitar.
It was a great clinic. The drums sounded great and some fantastic playing. I am now officially a Gavin Harrison fan.
He also demo' ed the gen-16 cymbals. They sound really bad! The room or the PA system(Nexo) cannot be blamed - they just sound bad. Removed from my shopping list!
Full house - they had to put in extra chairs.
Bentley music had a good discount on selected Zildjian cymbals. I walked away with 15" and 18" Zildjian K dark medium thin crashes. Had them on my shopping list and am pleased with the discount.
The queue for autographs after the clinic was a mile long. I gave up on that.

Sonor is not the most common brand in Malaysia. Most likely the shop did not have the 8" tom the same color as the rest of the kit.

Gavin said the snare was a 12x5 Phonic. It sounded awesome!

He hits much harder than I expected and really got a good tone out of the drums.

Thx

Jorn
I was sitting in Front hahaha.

I thought Gavin Endorses Sonor? Should't they supply the drums?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Gavin

so when you're travelling the world, do your bells travel with you, or do Zildjian have
several replicas for you all over the world?

By the way I think it's once again time to thank you for the time you spend here answering
all our questions! It's inspiring and awesome, and we shouldn't take it for granted! So thanks!!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
so when you're travelling the world, do your bells travel with you, or do Zildjian have
several replicas for you all over the world?
I'm not Gavin, but I remember he once said he has his "original" bells in his home studio and takes the Zildjain replicas with him on tour. (or vice-versa, not sure..)
Old 10-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Dear Gavin,

Im 32 years old and practicing drum by 3 to 4 hours a day. But not just as a hobby but thinking as future career. Is it doable to become a great drummer at my age And practice practice practice could help me to reach to that point then I would be able to join cool bands or Im totally wrong about being a drummer ?!
However Im good at music listening like vast variety of music from Mils Davis to King crimson and so on and I know about Music theory, and not that much far from music stuff.

cheers,

By the way here is the list of books I arranged to practice for next three years: HAAHA Am I crazy?!

Book name Pages Practice time
Syncopation
Stick Control by George L. Stone
Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin
Accents and Rebounds by George L. Stone
Master Studies by Joe Morello
Musician's Guide to Polyrhythms (Vol. 1 & 2) by Peter Magadini
The New Breed by Gary Chester
Portraits in Rhythm by Anthony Cirone
realestic drum
double bass drum

Future Sounds by David Garibaldi
Afro-Cuban Rhythms for Drumset by Frank Malabe and Bob Weiner
Drum Concepts and Techniques by Peter Erskine
Modern School for Snare Drum by Morris Goldenberg
The Sound of Brushes by Ed Thigpen
Bass Drum Control by Colin Baile
Patterns (Vol. 1,2,3,4) by Gary Chaffee
Modern Reading Text in 4/4 by Bellson and Breines
Groove Essentials - The Play-Along 1.0

Extreme Interdependence: Drumming Beyond Independence
The Art of Bop Drumming
Stanton Moore Groove Alchemy
Tommy Igoe - Groove Essentials 2.0
Contemporary Drum set Techniques
Take it to the street
The Level System

Last edited by sina; 10-22-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina View Post
Dear Gavin,

Im 32 years old and practicing drum by 3 to 4 hours a day. But not just as a hobby but thinking as future career. Is it doable to become a great drummer at my age And practice practice practice could help me to reach to that point then I would be able to join cool bands or Im totally wrong about being a drummer ?!
However Im good at music listening like vast variety of music from Mils Davis to King crimson and so on and I know about Music theory, and not that much far from music stuff.

cheers,

By the way here is the list of books I arranged to practice for next three years: HAAHA Am I crazy?!

Book name Pages Practice time
Syncopation
Stick Control by George L. Stone
Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin
Accents and Rebounds by George L. Stone
Master Studies by Joe Morello
Musician's Guide to Polyrhythms (Vol. 1 & 2) by Peter Magadini
The New Breed by Gary Chester
Portraits in Rhythm by Anthony Cirone
realestic drum
double bass drum

Future Sounds by David Garibaldi
Afro-Cuban Rhythms for Drumset by Frank Malabe and Bob Weiner
Drum Concepts and Techniques by Peter Erskine
Modern School for Snare Drum by Morris Goldenberg
The Sound of Brushes by Ed Thigpen
Bass Drum Control by Colin Baile
Patterns (Vol. 1,2,3,4) by Gary Chaffee
Modern Reading Text in 4/4 by Bellson and Breines
Groove Essentials - The Play-Along 1.0

Extreme Interdependence: Drumming Beyond Independence
The Art of Bop Drumming
Stanton Moore Groove Alchemy
Tommy Igoe - Groove Essentials 2.0
Contemporary Drum set Techniques
Take it to the street
The Level System
Haha. No way you are going to have the time to get through those in 3-4 years. It's better to go through 2-3 of them properly then skimp through them all. But I'm not Gavin, good luck ;)
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM

ok , so you mean each book takes a year to cover it up ?! so means I'm totaly wrong about it
By the way thx man.
cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrummer View Post
Haha. No way you are going to have the time to get through those in 3-4 years. It's better to go through 2-3 of them properly then skimp through them all. But I'm not Gavin, good luck ;)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 PM

Hi Gavin.
I was wondering the next time you're doing a clinic in Dublin, if you could stop by our college, Bimm. Graham Hopkins is one of the lecturers and we try get in as many musicians as we can to show the students some things. It would be great if you could!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 PM

Just in case you ran out of money or a gig or both, in a recent interview Richard Marx answered the question "What would be the lineup for your dream gig? he answered :

........ My dream band, off the top of my head, would be Gavin Harrison on drums; Michael Landau on guitar; Marcus Miller on bass and Chuck Leavell on keys. But Id have no business being in that band.

What about that ?! :D

What would your dream lineup be? Or would every stage be too small to fit everyone in?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Hi szokematyi

With the Speed Cobra you can independently adjust the height of the foot board against the angle of the beater. So if you REALLY wanted to - you could have the foot board on maximum height and the beater 1cm from the bass drum head.

Thanks, but I wouldn't want to have the beater that close. The pedal would be useless that way. What I meant was: having the beater at the usual distance from the head, but having the footboard as high as possible. I've noticed, that this way I could put more power into the strike with less amount of movement from the ankle. Meaning: less amount than I'd have to, if my footboard were low(er). Sorry if I can't really explain it in english.

I'd love to have a K ride, but it's way too expensive for my budget. Maybe one day! I merely wanted to know your opinion on heavy and ping rides in general. Still interested to be honest! :)

Oh, and one last thing! I've tried to browse through all the pages here, but so far no luck! Has the notation for Plasson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlixwQsc0wY) ever been posted? Or do you have it? (Unlikely I know, but I have to ask!) :)

Cheers,
Matthew
Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szokematyi View Post
Thanks, but I wouldn't want to have the beater that close. The pedal would be useless that way. What I meant was: having the beater at the usual distance from the head, but having the footboard as high as possible. I've noticed, that this way I could put more power into the strike with less amount of movement from the ankle.
You can do what you want with the speed cobra, it's awesome. However the speed cobra has the cobra coil under the pedal. It will loose it's effect if your pedals are high. I have them pretty low so the cobra coil can spring back the pedal faster.

I have a 20" K ride BTW. Sounds great.