DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-25-2010, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

hi Gavin,

I just saw your interview with DrummerConnection and I'm really interested in this book you mentioned to help you get in "the zone", nevertheless, I didn't quite get what was the title (sorry, english is not my native language).

Could you write it down for me please?? I would really appreciate it.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about I'll leave you the link to the interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iv13...eature=related

You talk about the book at around 9 minutes in
Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsMud View Post
hi Gavin,

I just saw your interview with DrummerConnection and I'm really interested in this book you mentioned to help you get in "the zone", nevertheless, I didn't quite get what was the title (sorry, english is not my native language).

Could you write it down for me please?? I would really appreciate it.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about I'll leave you the link to the interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iv13...eature=related

You talk about the book at around 9 minutes in
Not to "chime in" for Gavin. The book he refers to is called "Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician Within"
Author: Kenny Werner

Link http://www.amazon.com/Effortless-Mas...0060239&sr=8-1
Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGR8DCVER View Post
Not to "chime in" for Gavin. The book he refers to is called "Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician Within"
Author: Kenny Werner

Link http://www.amazon.com/Effortless-Mas...0060239&sr=8-1
thanks dude, looks like a great book
Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 AM

Gavin! I'm absolutley delighted to hear you guys are coming to Belfast Mandela hall! Been waiting years for this! You ever been here before in Northern Ireland?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:36 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi anders_slåke

I was just wondering if Porcupine Tree ever has given out any cds/special releases containing songs by the band with the drumming tracks excluded.

No we never have.

Also, on this version of Sound of Muzak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzFfNk4xGTEwhat is the reso-head on your snare?

That's a Remo Ambassador Hazy on the snare side

Hi yothatswack

I was wondering what bands you practice to now?

It's very rare that I play along to CDs these days. Occasionally I like to put my iPod on shuffle and just see what comes along.

Hi SantiBanks

Now I think of it, if I remember well, I think you said some time ago that you used the space designer plugin in logic to add reverb to your drumsound. Which impulse response or preset are you using (or have you tweaked for the matter)?

I really like the preset that they used to call "Large Wood Room" (back in the days where you had to buy it as a stand alone piece of software) but since the last couple of updates they changed names of some of the presets. I've tweaked it a bit too.

Hi Pass.of.E.r.a.

I had a quick question about when you do clinics. I was wondering if when performing a piece of music, do you intentionally play a slightly buiser part (more complex fills, and lots of extra frills) to "entertain" the drummers, or do you play what you feel best fits the song?

Clinics are a strange format all on their own. It's quite an unreal situation. A majority of the audience are beginners or players in early stages of their development which means they will (more likely than not) be very impressed with speed and flashy technique. There will always be some more experienced players who just want to hear some groove and musicality. So there's the dilemma. I try to pick songs that I think have the right balance of groove and interest. I know if I just play a dead straight groove with no fills for 5 minutes - it will bore a majority of the audience. Likewise I don't want to play all fast and flash either. I try to play something musically interesting that hopefully some folks will understand. You certainly won't please everyone. It's a reasonably thin line in my mind finding the right tunes to play.

Also, do you think that if you had been asked to join Porcupine Tree before recording In Absentia, instead of doing it as a session drummer, do you think the parts would of come out differently?

No - I think I would have played exactly the same.

Hi gibeachhead

Do you yourself ever listen to your own music for leisure after it has been recorded and released? And do you own actual retail releases of your own work?

I have most of the albums that I worked on - but usually I can't bear to listen to them. At least until a few years have gone by anyway.

Hi MyNameIsMud

I just saw your interview with DrummerConnection and I'm really interested in this book

Yes as ZGR8DCVER mentioned Kenny Werner's book "Effortless Mastery" is a very interesting read.

Hi Nige86

Gavin! I'm absolutley delighted to hear you guys are coming to Belfast Mandela hall! Been waiting years for this! You ever been here before in Northern Ireland?

Yes I've been quite a few times before. Although this is probably the first with PT.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Hello Gavin!

I have a question regarding the Anesthetize DVD. In the beginning of the song Anesthetize, the camera switches to film under your toms. Do I see correctly that you are using the factory/stock drum heads? I'm not sure if they are at the bottom or at the top. If so, what is the reason behind this? I heard that factory or stock drum heads should always be replaced. Is that true?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi jez,

yes they are the Sonor clear heads on the bottom. They are made by Remo and are identical to clear Ambassadors - they just have a Sonor badge on them. These are high quality heads - not budget ones. On the tops of the toms are Remo Emperors.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-27-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi SantiBanks
I really like the preset that they used to call "Large Wood Room" (back in the days where you had to buy it as a stand alone piece of software) but since the last couple of updates they changed names of some of the presets. I've tweaked it a bit too.
cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin,
Thanks a lot for that! I found it (it's still in logic 9) and it sounds great! It's a very good impulse. I'm also looking for a nice waterbottle to try the bassdrum trick. I showed it to our drummer and he loved it.
Thanks again for your help.
Cheers,
Santi
Old 07-27-2010, 12:26 PM

hi Gavin,

by curiosity,
Do you have several completely identical drum kit and cymbal set?
one or more for stage, at home to study, etc...?

Do you still enjoy to assemble and disassemble your drum-kit, day after days, month after month?
I know some (rare) drummers want to build it themself before live stage.
are you one of those, Gavin?

have a nice day.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 AM

Gavin -

I had a quick question about recording. I know you often record drum tracks in your home studio and send them out to bands to complete the recording. I'm doing the same thing currently with one of my bands (recording the drums in a studio and sending the finished drum tracks to another studio to record everything else).

When you do this, do you mix down the drums before you send them off, or do you send pre-FX, pre-fader tracks so as to avoid any frequencies in the drum sound conflicting with frequencies on the other instruments recorded over it?

Thanks so much. By the way I don't think Anesthetize has left my DVD player since I bought it.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Gold Member

Thank you very much for answering my question Gavin, cheers!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM

hey gavin !
i have some question about your 12"x5" snaredrum. which kind of snarewires do you use on your 12"x5" sonor snaredrum? do you cut down your snarewires the same way as on the 14"? to 8 wires ?
i love your sound at the md fest dvd !! how do you get a so dry sounding 12" snaredrum with only a piece of tape ?

greetings from germany,
dennis
Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 AM

Hi Gavin,
Curious as to what size stick you use nowdays and why.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

what size does the room have, where you record your drums?
I've got a room with 3,17m x 6m x 2,70m (something like that).

To Christmas I'll get a Sq2 and want start recording in my room.
What kind of acoustik arrangements do you have in your room?
Did you buy absorbers and stuff like that or did you build them on your own?

I thought to build some absorbers and put them in front of the set as I think the room is a bit to long for recording.

What is your opinion?
Thank you very much!

//Edit
I never saw a drumset with "earth finish" in real, and i just found this photo on google.
is the earth finish as bright as on the photo?
http://www.musikhaus-andresen.de/ima...arthfinish.jpg

All the best
David

Last edited by David Floegel; 07-30-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
I never saw a drumset with "earth finish" in real, and i just found this photo on google.
Hi Kalma

For the Earth outer ply you can choose between a shiny high-gloss finish (mirror like) or a semi-gloss finish, with a matte look.

http://www.musicworldbrilon.de/Schla...x5--25494.html

Greetings
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Hi Kalma

For the Earth outer ply you can choose between a shiny high-gloss finish (mirror like) or a semi-gloss finish, with a matte look.

http://www.musicworldbrilon.de/Schla...x5--25494.html

Greetings
Thanks gus!
I know!
And the set from the photo i posted is in high gloss.
and i know that gavins set is highgloss, too. but it never looks so bright..
Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Morse View Post
Hi Gavin,
Curious as to what size stick you use nowdays and why.
Gavin uses the Vic Firth Rock stick mostly (the Vic Grip version lately). Here's a more detailed response from him about it:
http://www.askgavinharrison.com/arti...-break-a-stick
Old 07-31-2010, 06:57 AM

A friend of mine posted this question on your Facebook page but I thought I'd ask here as well.

There is some writing on your drum head in the Anesthetize DVD. Can you share what it is or what it says?

Can't wait to see you guys in NYC in September!!

Jonathan
Old 07-31-2010, 12:28 PM

Hi Gavin,

Regarding the writing on your side snare in the Anesthetize-DVD. That´s probably what Chief2112 is referring to (found it in the Anesthetize booklet):

Maybe a shorthand version of the setlist ;-).
Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi henri

Do you have several completely identical drum kit and cymbal set?
one or more for stage, at home to study, etc...?

I have three (almost) identical sets. One at home - one on the road (Europe) and one on the road in the USA.

Do you still enjoy to assemble and disassemble your drum-kit, day after days, month after month?

Luckily I have a tech (Jason Birnie) who sets up my gear for me - and he does a great job too. I don't enjoy setting up my stuff. I did it for many years of course - but I certainly don't miss it.

Hi NeuroAxis

do you mix down the drums before you send them off, or do you send pre-FX, pre-fader tracks so as to avoid any frequencies in the drum sound conflicting with frequencies on the other instruments recorded over it?

I do both. I send them my mix of the drums and then all the unaffected separate tracks so they can mix it themselves. Sometimes they just use my stereo mix.

Hi stonylodge

i have some question about your 12"x5" snaredrum. which kind of snarewires do you use on your 12"x5" sonor snaredrum? do you cut down your snarewires the same way as on the 14"? to 8 wires ?

I have two Sonor 12x5 snares. The white one I leave the standard Sonor 18 wires on. The SQ2 tribal finish 12x5 I have the cut down Puresound 8 strand snares on.

i love your sound at the md fest dvd !! how do you get a so dry sounding 12" snaredrum with only a piece of tape ?

It's not a particularly ringy drum so it really doesn't need much dampening at all.

Hi Kalma

what size does the room have, where you record your drums?
I've got a room with 3,17m x 6m x 2,70m (something like that).

I play the drums in my control room - about 20 feet x 15 feet - but I have large sliding doors which open up to a 50 x 40 foot room which I use for ambiance.

What kind of acoustik arrangements do you have in your room?
Did you buy absorbers and stuff like that or did you build them on your own?

I have a lot of stuff in my control room so it sounded pretty dead to start with. I did buy some old studio mobile absorber panels that are around my kit. Other than that I didn't do anything to the room.

It can look like that - it depends how well lit the room is.

Hi Chief2112

There is some writing on your drum head in the Anesthetize DVD. Can you share what it is or what it says?

OK it's a chart that shows me where the downbeat crashes land every 4 bars of 7/8 whilst I'm playing 7/8 and 3/16 at the same time during the outro of "What Happens Now". The difficult thing whilst playing 7/8 and 3/16 is that it resolves every three bars - and I need to mark every four bars with a downbeat...hence the chart.

cheers
Gavin
Old 07-31-2010, 06:21 PM

Default Your Love is All and the Wavedrum

Hello Gavin,
How are you? It was great meeting you some time ago during an after-party in 013!
I have a few questions, I saw you using the Korg Wavedrum. What it your experience with that? Do you feel it can extend your creativity as a drummer? Second question is I have been trying to figure out the drums on Your Love is All by Sam Brown for more than 10 years now. It sounds like it is in standard 4/4 but I can't quite figure it out. It may be buried deep inside your brain somewhere but some tips would be greatly appreciated!
BTW love the PT DVD. My 5 year old son is obsessed with it! He's allready trying to play the drumpart to "anesthesize" :-)
Cheers,
Ivar
Old 08-01-2010, 01:01 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ivarus,
I've been a fan of the Wavedrum since the start of it in the early 90's and I still have my original one. In fact I used it on the last PT album on a track called "Remember Me Lover". I really like the new Wavedrum too - it really feels like you are involved with making the sound rather than just triggering samples.
There's a few different patterns on that Sam Brown track as I remember. Are you talking about the chorus pattern?

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Hi Gavin,

If I watch live videos of f.e. the Modern Drummer Festival, I always realize that your snare sound is really different than on records of PT or your DVDs.
Is this an acoustic problem or do you prefer this dry and more insensitive sound in a live situation?

Cheers,
Tobi
Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 PM

In that new interview you said that you saw Benny Greb the other day. It says on his website that he was recently in London for a session, is that when you saw him?

Next time can you invite me?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 AM

Hi Gavin,
I have a question regarding your book, “Rhythmic Illusions” that I hope I can explain correctly.
I’ve made somewhat of a break-through in the displacement section. I started using my High-hat as a reference to the metronome and it started clicking (no pun intended). However, the way I actually realized I was getting it was I had to call my wife in and let her be the “listener” to make sure the displacement beats were actually still sounding the same.
So, here’s my question. When I play, for instance example 1 on page 11, I first hear and feel – one, two AND- three, four. Then when I go to the displacement, I hit the first HH and then hear and feel – (1) and (2) and THREE-and (4) and.
In other words, the two eighth notes first feel like an upbeat and downbeat and then displaced feel like a downbeat and upbeat. Am I feeling this correctly and getting the idea properly?
Thanks
Stuart
Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Hi Ivarus,
I've been a fan of the Wavedrum since the start of it in the early 90's and I still have my original one. In fact I used it on the last PT album on a track called "Remember Me Lover". I really like the new Wavedrum too - it really feels like you are involved with making the sound rather than just triggering samples.
There's a few different patterns on that Sam Brown track as I remember. Are you talking about the chorus pattern?

cheers
Gavin
Hey Gavin,
Thanks for the quick response! It's the pattern in the chorus. It sounds like a polyrythm over a 4/4 but I could be wrong.
Cheers again!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Default hi Gavin !!

Hello Gavin,
My name is Massimo Anile. You may not know me but i live in australia ( Melbourne )
and i have recently won the Australian Ultimate Drummers Weekend ( AUDW ) junior category. i won $ 1450. with this money, i am planning to buy a Zildjian 21 inch Armand ride cymbal. What is your opinion on it?
would it ring a lot in a room with a glass brick wall :( ?
another thing i wanted to ask you is : what size are all of your toms?
What is the ride cymbal you use in your DVD. It looks vintage. ??
- and how do you tune your toms to how you have them????
thanks
Massimo
Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: hi Gavin !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massimo98 View Post
You really should checkout www.askgavinharrison.com and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison#Equipment before asking him...

His Toms:
- 8x7 10x8 12x9 Racktoms
- 15x13 16x14 FloorToms

Tuning:
- In his latest DVD Rhythmic Designs he says he tunes them by ear.
First the bottomhead and then the tophead.

Ride Cymbal:
- Which DVD? Which Video?
He maybe has 50 (or so xD) RideCymbals and uses different RideCymbals in nearly every video he recorded.

All the best :)
Old 08-05-2010, 05:51 PM

Hey Gavin, i first saw you play at some clinic somewhere playing through PT songs. Great stuff! Great player dude.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:11 PM

Hi Gavin,
I've just found those two videos. Can you tell me what are the tracks you're playing to? I really like them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eW69...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X81qq...eature=related
and by the way- Thanks for the great performance in Łodź (Poland;-)). Really enjoyed it!
Cheers!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:57 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi tobiashula

If I watch live videos of f.e. the Modern Drummer Festival, I always realize that your snare sound is really different than on records of PT or your DVDs.
Is this an acoustic problem or do you prefer this dry and more insensitive sound in a live situation?

I think you answered the question in your first sentence. The way you can make your snare sound in a recording studio under very controlled conditions is not the same at a live concert where the acoustics are completely different.

Hi Phil Brodermann

In that new interview you said that you saw Benny Greb the other day. It says on his website that he was recently in London for a session, is that when you saw him?

No - I saw him at the Sonor factory in Germany at the end of May.

Hi drumstu

I have a question regarding your book, “Rhythmic Illusions” that I hope I can explain correctly. So, here’s my question. When I play, for instance example 1 on page 11, I first hear and feel – one, two AND- three, four. Then when I go to the displacement, I hit the first HH and then hear and feel – (1) and (2) and THREE-and (4) and.
In other words, the two eighth notes first feel like an upbeat and downbeat and then displaced feel like a downbeat and upbeat. Am I feeling this correctly and getting the idea properly?

It's hard to decipher exactly what you mean from your description but I think you have grasped it correctly.

Hi Ivarus

Thanks for the quick response! It's the pattern in the chorus. It sounds like a polyrythm over a 4/4 but I could be wrong.

Not really a polyrhythm but certainly in 4/4. Here's the basic version of it
Name:  Your Love Is All.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  50.2 KB

Hi Massimo98

i am planning to buy a Zildjian 21 inch Armand ride cymbal. What is your opinion on it?

I've never played that cymbal so I can't give you an opinion on it.

Hopefully you've had chance to check out the links that Kalma suggested. Feel free to ask questions that you can't find the answers for on those links or searching through these pages at Drummerworld.

Hi zacharr

I've just found those two videos. Can you tell me what are the tracks you're playing to?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eW69...eature=related

These are videos taken from my performance at Frankfurt Music show 2007 filmed by the owner of Drummerworld (my good friend) Bernhard Castiglioni. OK first one is called "Designer" and is from my first DVD Rhythmic Visions.
Second one is called "19 Days" and is from my DVD Rhythmic Horizons.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-05-2010, 11:29 PM

Hi Gavin,
OK first one is called "Designer" and is from my first DVD Rhythmic Visions.

Then I have to buy this DVD, because it is great ;-)

Second one is called "19 Days" and is from my DVD Rhythmic Horizons.

Maybe some kind of problem with link. Second link is not 19 days.
I've got that Rythmic Horizons DVD so I know;-)
It looks like it is the last song you've played at that show.
Maybe now it would work:
Cheers
Zacharr
Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharr View Post
Maybe some kind of problem with link. Second link is not 19 days.

Maybe now it would work:
FF2 is 19 days but you are referring to FF3. Thats Quiet Firm by bassplayer Laurence Cottle.
Here is the "studio take" of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0IDtEfN5gE

Gavin did this also on the modern drummer festival

Last edited by SantiBanks; 08-06-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Yes guys you're right. I got it wrong. Too many things going on in my head at the moment.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-06-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Yes guys you're right. I got it wrong. Too many things going on in my head at the moment.

cheers
Gavin
Take a brake :) Too many things can never be good…
If some distraction is welcome I suggest checking out young female bassplayer Tal Wilkenfeld. I think you might like her… (Vinnie C, Jeff B, Herbie H and a certain Santi B do…)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC02wGj5gPw

It would be amazing to see you two up on stage…
Old 08-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Gold Member

Gavin, have you seen that excerpt from Billy Ward's DVD where he does a tour of different and influential jazz drummers?
Here's a link if you haven't.
I just thought that you'd really like it if you haven't seen it, I think he does a great job getting the different grooves across (for a rock drummer, anyway ;) ).

All the best Gavin, Fox.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

Great link, thanks! Billy is not really a rock drummer though...
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 PM

Thanks so much for that transcription of "You're love is All" Gavin! It looks easier than it sounds, I'll go and throw the song into the Ultra Slow Downer and read along with it ;-)

Take care,
Ivar
Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 AM

Gavin,

There's a fill you do in "Beyond the A" @ 1:47 that is somewhat confusing. It sounds to me like your doing a double on the bass, a double on the toms, followed by a double snare shot. It's a very clever fill and I can't stop listening to it/air drumming to it.

Could you embellish upon your technique here? I'm probably hearing it all wrong, hence the need to ask.

Thanks so much

Eric
Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 AM

I'm not sure if it's allowed to post an image of the two bars on the forum as it's (of course) wonderfully transcribed in the Rhythmic Designs book (really recommended!).

But its based on 32 notes.
bar 1 - 7/16|
2 8ths kick;
1 16th on the snare (R);
2 32th on the snare(R R);
1 32th on the hihat (L);
1 32th on the kick

bar 2 - 9/16|
1 32th on the kick;
1 32th on the tom(R);
1 16th on the tom(L);
1 16th on snare (R);