DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-16-2010, 01:05 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi supermac

Of the many questions I could ask about your perfomance in the show, one is about your playing on Dark Matter.The left-hand 'bounces' on the snare you play near the start are something I've never seen played before in that context.Are you able to describe the technique/mechanic you use?

They are not really 'bounces' - I couldn't really control the speed as much as I needed if I just bounced them - I'm playing 32nd notes (sometimes 16th note triplets). Actually it's harder than it looks!!

Hi astroandy

I am a conductor of a few young concert bands, and I am no drummer, but very interested in rhythms and drumming. I was discussing this with some people, what do you think is the effect of cleaning the cymbals?

I never clean the cymbals. With some cymbals they have a coating that you shouldn't really rub off. I think wiping off dust or sweat is fine - but don't get aggressively abrasive with them.

And also, can you give some hint about a book or DVD on tuning the drums?

I have Bob Gatzen's DVD and he has a lot of YouTube clips on tuning that I really find helpful. I think he talks a lot of sense.

Hi Phil Brodermann

What was the inspiration for the title of 'Sanity and Gravity'?

nothing really special - it just came to me as I was lying in bed one night. I like the sound of those two words together - plus the meanings that you might want to read into them.

Hi KevShephard

did you get a chance to hear Dave play at all at Sonor Days?

Yes I did and he was great.

Hi anders_slåke

The 5 bells that is placed above your hihat, what kind of stand are they placed on?

It was a custom stand that a friend of mine built for me. I now use a Sonor stand that is built from parts of their "basic arm" range.

Hi Deathtoll

I've been looking at the recent kits you've been playing on the tours lately. I noticed on the first leg of The Incident tour here in Seattle you seem to be playing just an all black kit that also seem to have a bigger bass drum then i've seen in picture before that tour. I then noticed halfway through you got the new black and white psychedelic look. Any reason you got a new kit halfway through that tour?

I don't think I've ever played a black kit with Porcupine Tree. Maybe it was a trick of the lights? In the States I have a Golden Madrone finished SQ2 kit - and then when we come over to Europe I use my black and white "Tribal" finished SQ2 kit - the bass drums are the same size on both sets.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders_slåke View Post
Hey Gavin!

At first I just want to thank you for answering questions, inspiring me and last but not least your great performance in Bergen, Norway last Wednesday! :-)

My question:
The 5 bells that is placed above your hihat, what kind of stand are they placed on?
(pic below)

Thanks in advance!
If i can i try to answer you.I hope that Gavin will forgive me =)
This photo if i remember well is from a session during the Rythmic Horizons clinic tour.I asked Gavin about his bells holder, he says that's a custom holder made by an artisan.
Actually, Gavin is using an holder made with Sonor hardware components.little customized by him, i suppose.

Gavin, i have a question for you.
You seems to be a powerful drummer, with a louder hit on drums.But you show a great control of your touch, and you can play amazing ghost notes.
have you some advices for obtain better ghost notes?
Some pages ago, i told you that Italian drummers really appreciate your previous DVD's with italian sublitles.I was sad when you wrote me that i was the first to tell this thing to you.But i have rythmic designs in my hand now.I have to admit that with focused ears and eyes i can follow your lessons.This dvd is simply great.The 2 discussion sections are a bible of knowledge.thanks to share all that things with us.

Cheers from Italy
Riccardo

ps:i added you on Facebook! ;)
Old 06-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Gavin,

This is basically for anyone who wants to jump on it, but I was wondering if someone could transcribe, and/or explain what's going on with the hi-hat in this easily deceptive 4/4 beat.

I figured this would be the best place to get an accurate explanation from all the guru's on this forum.

Thanks a bunch

Eric
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 eulogy beat.mp3 (428.2 KB, 347 views)
Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
Gavin,

This is basically for anyone who wants to jump on it, but I was wondering if someone could transcribe, and/or explain what's going on with the hi-hat in this easily deceptive 4/4 beat.

I figured this would be the best place to get an accurate explanation from all the guru's on this forum.

Thanks a bunch

Eric
hi anomaly,
as for the hi-hat there isn't much to say: it is a clear 3-note pattern (open-closed w/foot-closed w/hand) over a 4/4 groove. I'd recommend practicing such pattern over some Phil Rudd groove for the start :)
anyway, I am sure someone will post a transcription
have a nice day
Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 PM

Hi Gavin,

1. I tried the big water bottle trick on the bass drum and it seems to give great results in terms of making the sub work. How do You treat that track by the way? Low pass filter?

2. What's the polar pattern of the DPA mic You use?

3. How do You suspend Your Audix D6 inside Your BD?

4. Whenever You play it seems You never "stumble" or hesitate: do You sing your phrasing and feels in Your head when You play and improvise or You just let Your hands go?

Thanks for all Your replies and time
Old 06-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Gavin,

Thanks a bunch

Eric
As floortom13 said, this is a simple groove in 4, under a hi hat accented every 3 sixteenth note.
Here's a link to a YouTube tutorial, I don't think it's great, but it's OK.
Also, when dealing with polyrhythms, it's not about thinking of the 3s on one side, and thinking in 4 as well, it's all about working it together. So, while conceptually there might be two or more rhythms going on, don't let anyone make you believe they are thinking about all these different rhythms separately, 95% of the time, it's a matter of INTERdependance, rather than independance.

Fox.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2010, 09:53 PM

Fox,

What a wonderfully accurate transcription. I have viewed the YouTube explanation before and just thought the teacher was an egotistical ass... but anyway, now I can clearly see what's going on. I have tried to replicate it and play along with it, but it is tricky the first few times you play it.

Thanks so much
Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 PM

OK, so I used the search function to try and find a transcription of Anesthetize, and all I could find was that thrashy double pedal part (killer!) but what I am looking for is the part just before that (you know, the part with several high hat chokes at the end.) For some reason, I just can't get my cymbal crashes to line up (I think I start the snare/tom fill too early) Can anyone point me to a transcription? Or at least what time signature for that section and/or what beats those cymbal crashes are at? It's driving me nuts. Thx :)
Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnify View Post
OK, so I used the search function to try and find a transcription of Anesthetize, and all I could find was that thrashy double pedal part (killer!) but what I am looking for is the part just before that (you know, the part with several high hat chokes at the end.) For some reason, I just can't get my cymbal crashes to line up (I think I start the snare/tom fill too early) Can anyone point me to a transcription? Or at least what time signature for that section and/or what beats those cymbal crashes are at? It's driving me nuts. Thx :)
There are 2 sections of the hi-hat chokes before the double bass blast from hell. The first one is from 9:36 to approx. 9:51 and 2nd is from 10:45 to 11:00. They are both in 4/4.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:15 AM

Hi Gavin,

In your opinion, what affect do re-enforcement rings have on the sound of the toms, let's say a 'vintage' maple shell vs. a 'thin' maple shell?

Thanks very much, phil :)
Old 06-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
That's not a 3 over 4 polyrhythm, the youtube-"tutor" is wrong. A polyrhythm would be 3 strokes against 4 strokes in the same duration of time.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Also, when dealing with polyrhythms, it's not about thinking of the 3s on one side, and thinking in 4 as well, it's all about working it together.
That's not a 3 over 4 polyrhythm, the youtube-"tutor" is wrong. A polyrhythm would be 3 strokes against 4 strokes in the same duration of time. Like fox said, it's three note groupings of 16ths instead.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:02 PM

Hi Gavin,

Just a quick question about cutting down cymbals to chimes.
You said that after you were reasonably close the size you wanted a cymbal to be you started filing with same metal sand paper. How close is that exactly? 1/2 of an inch, 1/4 of an inch? Thanks.

Cheers,

Francis
Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Hi Gavin! First of all: your creativity and skills are absolutely inspiring. Im a huge fan of porcupine tree and your style of drumming just fits perfectly into the band.
So I have a few questions about that:
1. Is the whole band using in ear metronoms live? cause when I saw you playing, I thought that it must be very challenging for wilson and co to keep the time while your'e playing these 7 over 4 kind of things in fills etc.
2. is the vers groove of cheating the polygraph based on septuplets? or do you just play sextuplets in a kind of "different" feel?
3. I found a transcription of your slippin' away version. is this amazing triplet-group of 5 pattern at the beginning the same you're playing at the outro of cheating the polygraph?
thanks for your time!
Matze
Old 06-17-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
There are 2 sections of the hi-hat chokes before the double bass blast from hell. The first one is from 9:36 to approx. 9:51 and 2nd is from 10:45 to 11:00. They are both in 4/4.
Yes, those are the sections (from Anesthetize,) but on which beats are the cymbal crashes? I always seem to be coming out of it a little late - maybe I'm putting a couple extra eighths in my fill before them. Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-17-2010, 08:16 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi ItalianRicky

You seems to be a powerful drummer, with a louder hit on drums.But you show a great control of your touch, and you can play amazing ghost notes.
have you some advices for obtain better ghost notes?

Thanks - I don't know what to suggest - basically it's just stick control...and years of practise.

Hi steste50

1. I tried the big water bottle trick on the bass drum and it seems to give great results in terms of making the sub work. How do You treat that track by the way? Low pass filter?

Yes - everything above 500hz is eq'd off.

2. What's the polar pattern of the DPA mic You use?

I don't really know - there's no chance to change anything on the mic. I assume that it's 'omni' as it's basically a tie clip vocal mic.

3. How do You suspend Your Audix D6 inside Your BD?

Kelly Shu.

4. Whenever You play it seems You never "stumble" or hesitate: do You sing your phrasing and feels in Your head when You play and improvise or You just let Your hands go?

I do sing a lot to myself...and sometime get a pretty sore throat by the end of a long show!!

Hi cygnify

That section is 11 beats long. You could think of it as 11/4 or 2 bars off 4/4 + a bar of 3/4. I never count it - I just sing the riff to myself. Maybe Terry B could 'drum' up a little transcription of it for you?

Hi Phil Brodermann

In your opinion, what affect do re-enforcement rings have on the sound of the toms, let's say a 'vintage' maple shell vs. a 'thin' maple shell?

I've never had two kits side by side with the spec's you mentioned so I can't give you a really considered answer. Apparently the rings 'focus' the sound more. I have had kits of both specs and they both sounded good to me.

Hi ProgFron

Just a quick question about cutting down cymbals to chimes.
You said that after you were reasonably close the size you wanted a cymbal to be you started filing with same metal sand paper. How close is that exactly? 1/2 of an inch, 1/4 of an inch? Thanks.

I would say around 1/2 an inch. It's really hard to cut them 'round' when you attack them with the tin snips - or be that accurate - so you need to give yourself some error room.

Hi Matze

1. Is the whole band using in ear metronoms live? cause when I saw you playing, I thought that it must be very challenging for wilson and co to keep the time while your'e playing these 7 over 4 kind of things in fills etc.

No - when I'm playing they can only hear me. They only hear a click (in the songs that we use it) when I stop playing.

2. is the vers groove of cheating the polygraph based on septuplets? or do you just play sextuplets in a kind of "different" feel?

They are septuplets - if you hear the bass drum as 'one' and the snare backbeat as 'two'. Otherwise it's just 7/8. You can find a transcription of that here http://www.askgavinharrison.com/transcriptions

3. I found a transcription of your slippin' away version. is this amazing triplet-group of 5 pattern at the beginning the same you're playing at the outro of cheating the polygraph?

Yes it's basically the same pattern

cheers
Gavin.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Crazy8s

Hi Gavin!

I just wanted to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude for sharing your ideas and experience with this community. It's truly an amazing thing to me that you spend some of your valuable time here with us, freely sharing your wisdom!

Porcupine Tree has been on the top of my playlist for months now because I find it to be very introspective and insightful and at the same time a very world-reaching positive message that hastens our enlightenment. True, some of the subject matter is dark and perhaps a bit dreary, but I feel that your group does this intentionally so that we may see the folly of our dark and dreary ways. Like a wake up call of sorts, to snap us out of our electronic subjugation.

Its very challenging music, very intelligently played and thought out, but doesn't require the listener to be a mathematician to enjoy. That is a true sign of genius, where a musician can make very complicated rhythmic movement flow smoothly like water in a stream. One doesn't need to calculate the Brownian motion of the water molecules in order to just enjoy the calming sound of the stream as they relax on the soft grass beside it. Of course, if one does want to do such calculations, the math is most certainly prevalent in your playing but you are so smooth and groovy that many listeners may not even realize it. That is what I consider musical genius!

Thank you and Porcupine Tree for sharing your brilliant ideas with us!

Kevin
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 AM

Gavin,

Quick question about Circles. Thanks to your excellent explanation of the time sig's I was wondering if you could tell me what the time signature was for the piano solo. Does it follow the 5/8 + 3/4 chorus section? Or is it a new signature all together?

I have yet to purchase the new DVD so all I can go by is the samples on Youtube and Hudson Music, which I'm very thankful for.

Thanks

Eric
Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex P. View Post
Hi Cygnify,

Here is the basic pattern of this section.
Hope that helps.

Bye!

Alex P.
Excellent! Merci beaucoup!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 AM

Hello Gavin!

I'm really a guitarist, but I dabble here and there with percussion. I'd just like to say thanks for all the amazing music. I tend to gravitate toward grooves in 7, 9, 11 and anything with killer odd time like "The Start of Something Beautiful." Your drumming inspires me to play guitar. :) I think I secretly wish I were a drummer.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Hi Gavin,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Love your playing and Porcupine Tree in particular.

just had a few questions-

1. when you play a song live, and improvise in fills in particular, how much of it is spontaneous, and how much do you prepare beforehand? for example, the fill in the middle of sound of muzak at modern drummer, did you practice that beforehand or did you just improvise? similarly in hatesong in the arriving somewhere dvd too..

2. have you ever been distracted by the crowd clapping out of time?

thanks!

kartik
Old 06-20-2010, 01:10 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Quick question about Circles. Thanks to your excellent explanation of the time sig's I was wondering if you could tell me what the time signature was for the piano solo. Does it follow the 5/8 + 3/4 chorus section? Or is it a new signature all together?

No it's the same as the verse. A cycle of 23 beats 9/8 + 9/8 + 5/8

Hi maniaconkeys

1. when you play a song live, and improvise in fills in particular, how much of it is spontaneous, and how much do you prepare beforehand? for example, the fill in the middle of sound of muzak at modern drummer, did you practice that beforehand or did you just improvise? similarly in hatesong in the arriving somewhere dvd too..

Sometimes the fills are an important part of the arrangement so I play them the same every night - other times I play variations of the same fills - and sometimes they are completely improvised. BUT "completely improvised" sometimes contains components that may have been played before but they might be voiced differently or put together in a different order or subdivision. The fill that you are referring to was 'worked out' in that I've played that grouping of notes before (at that subdivision rate) - but I didn't work out exactly how I was going to voice it.

2. have you ever been distracted by the crowd clapping out of time?

Yes.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 AM

I'm very curious as to how "The Incident" turned from a 36min single track to a 55min one. Could you briefly run down for us how you guys kept creating material for it?

Last edited by Deathtoll; 06-21-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:49 AM

Hey Gavin!

I noticed that PT was doing a few extra tour dates in August. I'm definitely going to the Nashville show. But, I saw on the show website that PT are special guests to go along with Coheed and Cambria. Does this mean that PT is going to do a short set? I might have to cry if you guys are.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Deathtoll

I'm very curious as to how "The Incident" turned from a 36min single track to a 55min one. Could you briefly run down for us how you guys kept creating material for it?

we got together for some writing sessions and just wrote more material for it.

Hi pixelbreaker

I noticed that PT was doing a few extra tour dates in August. I'm definitely going to the Nashville show. But, I saw on the show website that PT are special guests to go along with Coheed and Cambria. Does this mean that PT is going to do a short set?

We'll be doing the same length set as Coheed and Cambria - but probably a bit shorter than a normal PT show.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-23-2010, 05:31 AM

Hi Gavin!

Are Porcupine Tree still doing the dates with Coheed & Cambria because the dates were taken off Porcupine Tree's website? Do you know why they were removed?

And if you guys are still doing the dates, do you know whether you guys or Coheed will close the shows?

I've bought tickets for the Memphis show on August the 20th and I can't wait!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

is there any "formula" that calculates the resolve point?
I was curious if I always have to write polyrhythms out or have to count them out to find the resolve point..

Thanks
David
Old 06-23-2010, 12:08 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi rtptfan

Are Porcupine Tree still doing the dates with Coheed & Cambria because the dates were taken off Porcupine Tree's website? Do you know why they were removed?And if you guys are still doing the dates, do you know whether you guys or Coheed will close the shows?

I don't know the answer to either of your questions - sorry.

Hi Kalma

is there any "formula" that calculates the resolve point?
I was curious if I always have to write polyrhythms out or have to count them out to find the resolve point..

Multiply one by the other. So if you're playing 5 against 7 it's going to take 35 common subdivisions to resolve. That might be 7 x 5 - or 5 x 7 depending on your rhythmic perspective.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

Great stuff there on Facebook! Awesome videos, specially the little jazz quartet thing you had going there. It was VERY odd to see you in that setting.

Fox.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Great stuff there on Facebook!
Yes very nice video of you in the pub! I still consider you as a great creative jazz player. I wouldn't mind having you in my jazz/fusion group ;)

On that video you play a Gretsch kit? Was it already setup or do you own a Gretsch? (it's the first time I see you play on Gretsch, thats why)
Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Hi Gavin,

A few quick questions for you:

Have you had a chance to use the Axis A21's yet? If so, what are your impressions and thoughts on the differences between these and your current pedals.

Also, 13 shows in 15 days for the Coheed and Cambria tour. I think I'd sleep for a month after that! Obviously economics play a part in touring so you can't always have a couple of days off here and there but have you ever looked at a touring schedule with dread?

If you have them to hand, what are your seat, snare and hi-hat heights? I'm not as tall as you but it'd interesting to see what it's like grooving with your settings.

Lastly, are you on Twitter?

Many thanks again for all your time here, and for the continued education and inspiration.

Cheers
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 AM

Hey Gavin,
We all know from practice that it's the sum of all the little things and little steps and stages that shapes the drum's sound through the process of recording and postproduction. But in your experience is there is any piece of gear, any great or drum-friendly compressor, or any parameter settings that introduces some more than obvious or radical change in quality/clarity of the sound (which will make you say "Now, this sounds different!")? And/or how much of your original recording is affected by Steven's mixing and mastering technique?

Thanks in advance! It's really a privilege having you to share your time with us!

Best wishes, Goran
Old 06-25-2010, 11:49 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi SantiBanks

On that video you play a Gretsch kit? Was it already setup or do you own a Gretsch?

No it's not my kit - that Gretsch set belonged to Eddie Clayton - I was just sitting in for a couple of tunes. It's pretty hard to play on other peoples sets.

Hi Rocklord

Have you had a chance to use the Axis A21's yet? If so, what are your impressions and thoughts on the differences between these and your current pedals.

I haven't had time to really play about with them yet. I got sent a pair in the middle of the tour and didn't think that was the right time to switch. They are beautifully made and feel as smooth as the regular ones. I'm looking forward to getting them into my studio and going through the options.

Also, 13 shows in 15 days for the Coheed and Cambria tour. I think I'd sleep for a month after that! Obviously economics play a part in touring so you can't always have a couple of days off here and there but have you ever looked at a touring schedule with dread?

I look at almost every touring schedule with dread. It's going to be hard.

If you have them to hand, what are your seat, snare and hi-hat heights? I'm not as tall as you but it'd interesting to see what it's like grooving with your settings.

seat 44cms, snare drum 65cms (measured to the top rim at the place closest to me - because it leans back a little) hi hats 83cms (measured to the edge of the cymbals in their closed position).

Lastly, are you on Twitter?

No.

Hi Goran Lizdek

We all know from practice that it's the sum of all the little things and little steps and stages that shapes the drum's sound through the process of recording and postproduction. But in your experience is there is any piece of gear, any great or drum-friendly compressor, or any parameter settings that introduces some more than obvious or radical change in quality/clarity of the sound (which will make you say "Now, this sounds different!")? And/or how much of your original recording is affected by Steven's mixing?

Firstly it's a difficult question because everything effects the sound. I don't record the effects - just a bit of eq on my analog desk. I like to use the Waves C1 compressor plugin on the snare drum and a bit of it on the toms. Steve uses the same plugin with the same settings. Plus there's usually some added reverb. The drums end up sounding pretty close to the original recording. The problem is - when you bring in all the other instruments - it changes the way you hear the drums.

cheers
Gavin
Old 06-25-2010, 01:35 PM

Hey Gavin!

What kind of shell material and what kind of shell type does your drums consists of?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

I remember Gavin said his Sq2 was made of Maple.

RackToms in Thin and FloorToms in Medium shell Type?
The Bassdrum I can't remember..
Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 AM

Gavin,

Have you ever considered or played with the idea of placing another floor tom to the left of your hi-hat? Do you think that would increase the number of musical "shapes" you could accomplish?

Take the intro to Unsettled for example, would having the other floor tom throw off the natural flow of the beat, or would it make it any easier?

Just curious as to your opinion on floor toms left of the hats.
Thanks
Eric
Old 06-26-2010, 06:06 AM

Hey Gavin,

The first time I saw you guys was back in April at the Riviera in Chicago. I remember standing in the wrong line, it was the "fan club only" line. I also mentioned earlier that I was going to be at the Nashville show on the 22nd of August, and this time I would like to join the fan club... how can I do that?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 PM

Dear Mr. Harrison,

Do you use any Drum Notation Software? Could you tell me which one do you use?

Thanks,

Aditya.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Gold Member

Alright, a couple of posts ago you wrote that there's no click going on for your band members while you're playing. What advantage do you see to this? Because even an experienced musician with a trained ear, even a drummer and rhythmic expert, might have trouble grasping some stuff if he's not the one playing it, and knows exactly what's going on. Get Vinnie, or Stew, and I'm sure they'll lose the beat with some of your stuff, until they hear it a couple of times and figure it out. And they are very experienced musicians. So it's understandable that your band members (who aren't drummers) might have even *more* trouble knowing where the beat goes when playing deceptive fills that are improvised (and even if they don't, it can't be very nice to be focusing on keeping the beat, instead of just playing comfortably). Wouldn't you have more freedom if they had the click running? My band doesn't have a click system for all of us set up yet, so I try to lay low on these things, because I've lost them a couple of times, even though they are quite talented musicians, and I just don't like that. Sorry if this was unnecessarily long, but I wanted to explain the reasons I have for thinking it's something useful.

Fox.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 AM

Default to click or not to click

Fox,

I find it easier to "feel" the beat subconsciously, or hum along to it. I've been quite distracted by a click. The only time I used a click was when I was practicing odd times and I needed to know exactly where the "one" was. Other than that, the click does nothing but distract me. But to each their own, of course.