DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin, I saw you guys in Brisbane tonight. It was a fantasic show.
Just a small question. I have noticed at times you do some improv fills at concerts. When rehearsing for the concert do you practise them there or are they a last minute throw in or how does it work for you?
Thanks again for a top night, it was one of the best quality concerts I have seen and heard is sometime.
Will see you next time your here.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 PM

Gavin -

I had a question about cymbal selection. I know you have used the Z Custom China for a long time; I have been a fan of it for years also. I noticed on Zildjian's website that they have replaced the Z Custom line with the Z3 line, but I couldn't tell if there were any changes made to the design or the sound of the cymbal.

Did you switch over the the Z3 china? If so, have you found it to be much different in sound or physics than the Z Custom china?

It would be good to hear from a fellow appreciator of this underrated cymbal to know whether to go for it or to just buy a Z Custom off of Ebay or Craigslist.

Thanks for your time...

P.S. - Great interview on the drumdepartment site, by the way
Old 02-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Gold Member

Hello Gavin,
So I checked out that great article you wrote several years ago about Click Tracks.
And while I noticed this last time I read it, now I'm about to program my own tracks, and need to actually ask. You have it in 16ths for below 80 BPM and 8ths for below 120 BPM? Do you find that comfortable to play to? Because I always try to have as little amount of clicks as I can, mostly Quarter notes, and 8ths maybe for below 70 BPM to have more reference. I mean, eighths for 120 BPM are *a lot* of notes, doesn't it become distracting?
Thanks for all the advice!

Fox.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Crimson Redrum

how do you deal with the relation touring-time zones? how long does it take to feel comfortable? Being a professional drummer it is something you have to deal with, but have you ever experienced a gig where youre feeling sleepy?

It's hard to do something so physically demanding and feeling tired. I've done many gigs where I've felt sleepy or ill. It's not the kind of profession that you can cancel on the day because you don't feel - phone in with ' a sicky'.

Hi Dont Taze Me Bro

So, I have one question. Any plans to go anywhere near Phoenix, Arizona on the second NA leg of the Porcupine Tree tour? You guys were unbelievable at the Warfield in San Francisco.

I don't believe we are.

I'm also digging the tracks you put down on Ed Poole's new album, you've gotta be one of the tastiest drummers out there! Really dug the modulation bit at about 1:27 in Smoulder, quite creative.

Yes Ed's album is great fun - I've just recorded a bunch of tracks for his new album that should come out some time this year.

Hi Deadmeat

I saw you guys in Brisbane tonight. It was a fantasic show.
Just a small question. I have noticed at times you do some improv fills at concerts. When rehearsing for the concert do you practise them there or are they a last minute throw in or how does it work for you?

I try to improvise them when I can. Some of them of course I may have played before.

Hi NeuroAxis

I had a question about cymbal selection. I know you have used the Z Custom China for a long time; I have been a fan of it for years also. I noticed on Zildjian's website that they have replaced the Z Custom line with the Z3 line, but I couldn't tell if there were any changes made to the design or the sound of the cymbal.

Yes I'm a big fan of the original Z Custom. The new one is great but different.

Hi Fox622003

You have it in 16ths for below 80 BPM and 8ths for below 120 BPM? Do you find that comfortable to play to? Because I always try to have as little amount of clicks as I can, mostly Quarter notes, and 8ths maybe for below 70 BPM to have more reference. I mean, eighths for 120 BPM are *a lot* of notes, doesn't it become distracting?

I like it that way round. But it's not to say that everyone would like it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 PM

Hi Gavin,

i got my "Rhythmic Design" copy yesterday (holy Amazon), watched it ALL and it's a like a big cake for drummers :))

1. You recorded your drums in a small room (as i can see and hear from your "boxy" voice) but the drums sound huge anyway. What do you use/do to achieve that sound that do not sound boxy at all (room treatment, effects, diffusers bla bla bla..)?

2. I saw an extra mic on your ride bell: how do you treat that mic with the overheads? Isn't the stereo image affected? Does that mic make a real difference?

3. How much % of your drumming with Ric is improvised in the records i.e. do you plan also all the passages for the recording?

Thanx and come (back) to Italy soon.

Last edited by steste50; 02-07-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:25 PM

Hi Gavin!

I was just wondering..what are the name of the headphones you use in your studio at home? If they still are in production today..

Cheers!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:24 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi steste50

1. You recorded your drums in a small room (as i can see and hear from your "boxy" voice) but the drums sound huge anyway. What do you use/do to achieve that sound that do not sound boxy at all (room treatment, effects, diffusers bla bla bla..)?

Space Designer Reverb inside Logic Pro.

2. I saw an extra mic on your ride bell: how do you treat that mic with the overheads? Isn't the stereo image affected? Does that mic make a real difference?

I sometimes want to bring out some detail in the cymbal so having that mic there is useful. If I don't play the ride I don't mix in that mic. I can't hear it upsetting the stereo.

3. How much % of your drumming with Ric is improvised in the records i.e. do you plan also all the passages for the recording?

Usually I work out the rhythms that I want to play for the sections - and then I rehearse it. Once I start to get comfortable with the parts and the arrangement - I try to improvise and embellish on those parts. I don't normally work out the fills - they just happen when I record it.

Hi DTrocks

I was just wondering..what are the name of the headphones you use in your studio at home?

Beyer DT150. They're really good.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-08-2010, 01:57 AM

Hey Gavin! I would just like to say that I think it is very cool that you are answering questions. You are my top infuence in drumming.

I think that you are sponsored by Vic Firth, but why haven't you created Signature Sticks? Is it just because they haven't asked you? Because I would gladly buy some.

My second question has to do with your chimes/bells that you hand made. I myself am looking around for cracked cymbals, preferably Zildjian crashes like you have. I understand that you have to cut them, but how exactly did you go about making a rack/stand for them? Could you help me out?

Also I have kind of a funny story. I discovered you guys about a week after you guys left the east coast of the US and I was mad that I missed your tour of The Incident. My dad said he would buy us the best seats if you guys ever came back. And we just recently bought close to front row seats at Radio City Music Hall. For September. I would like to thank you guys for coming back again. I appreciate it. Is there any chance of meeting you guys at all there? Because I would die if I could meet the band and you.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 AM

Hey Gavin !

Can you suggest some techniques for double kick playing i to dont really like the fast16s i like your style more, how can i get tighter and better my timing ?

Cheers.

Mike
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Garrett

I think that you are sponsored by Vic Firth, but why haven't you created Signature Sticks? Is it just because they haven't asked you? Because I would gladly buy some.

Thanks - but they haven't asked me.

My second question has to do with your chimes/bells that you hand made. I myself am looking around for cracked cymbals, preferably Zildjian crashes like you have. I understand that you have to cut them, but how exactly did you go about making a rack/stand for them? Could you help me out?

If you look back a few pages on this thread we were discussing the Sonor "basic arm" options that I use now. Apart from the Sonor stuff I think you need to have one custom made.

Hi xxDrummerMikexx

Can you suggest some techniques for double kick playing i to dont really like the fast16s i like your style more, how can i get tighter and better my timing ?

I'm really not a 'double bass drum player' you should ask Derek Roddy - he's a great guy and has a thread here too.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 AM

G'day gavin great gig in sydney the other night, just wondering have any plans developed re some clinics in australia?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 AM

I realise your not much of a double kick player but like i said i like what YOU do with it as its subtle and sounds great just wanted to know how you practice to get the bursts of 3,4 or 5 so clean and tight,?

cheers
Old 02-08-2010, 01:14 PM

Hi Gavin
Thanks for the inspiration! Melting busy creativity with great groove and taste is not very common. You deserve all the attention:) Also your sound is, to my ear, close to perfect.

To my question. I'm on the marked for a snare. I own and love the Sonor Artist Brass model, but it does not suit everything. I was thinking about a SQ 5*14, the Artist scandinavian birch 5*14 or the black steel 5*14. What shell type/thickness (Sonor) do you generally prefer for a general purpose snare? Have you tried the Artist Scandinavian Birch model (vintage maple)?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:14 PM

Hi Gavin and thanks for the reply earlier,

If I may I have another question, sorry to bother you.
At the Brisbane concert a couple of technical hitches happened, One was the guitar string breaking, and the other looked like something happened with the keyboards in one part of the first set.
My question is, I gather you heard that in your IEM? and if so do you acknoledge it or are you in your on groove (world) and don't think of it?
Because from what I saw you didn't skip a beat or bork in anyway, so I'm not sure if you noticed.
Has something like that ever "thrown you off"?
Old 02-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Hi, I didn't see this question answered before, so I'll ask now.

I'm curious to know do you setup/build your drum kit before a gig or does someone from the band's crew do that? Does this change from band to band? And what about studio sessions, do you have to assemble the kit yourself or is it part of someone else's job?

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Hi Gavin
I was thinking of bying the Axis double pedals, got a god deal for the "ordinary" pedals (not the longboard one).. Should i reconsider and go for the Longboards..??
Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 AM

Were the drums you used to play the intro of "What Happens Now?" hand percussion?If so, what kind?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Hurlza

G'day gavin great gig in sydney the other night, just wondering have any plans developed re some clinics in australia?

I couldn't do any this time round.

Hi xxDrummerMikexx

just wanted to know how you practice to get the bursts of 3,4 or 5 so clean and tight,?

I don't really know as I've been trying to play them since 1983. I guess I look for holes in patterns and fills that could accommodate those small groupings - and try to get them in there. The hardest part with playing the bass drum is getting it in time with your hands. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOJOACCcEgE

Hi Jaegervand

I'm on the marked for a snare. I own and love the Sonor Artist Brass model, but it does not suit everything. I was thinking about a SQ 5*14, the Artist scandinavian birch 5*14 or the black steel 5*14. What shell type/thickness (Sonor) do you generally prefer for a general purpose snare? Have you tried the Artist Scandinavian Birch model (vintage maple)?

I prefer wood drums to metal ones - and I usually go for 14x5 size for my main snare. I haven't tried it yet - but I'm sure the Scandinavian birch will be very good. I really like birch wood for snare drums.

Hi Deadmeat

At the Brisbane concert a couple of technical hitches happened, One was the guitar string breaking, and the other looked like something happened with the keyboards in one part of the first set. My question is, I gather you heard that in your IEM? and if so do you acknoledge it or are you in your on groove (world) and don't think of it? Because from what I saw you didn't skip a beat or bork in anyway, so I'm not sure if you noticed.
Has something like that ever "thrown you off"?

Yes I do notice those things - but unless it's a complete disaster - I just keep going because these things sometimes fix themselves very quickly. In Sydney the PA went off towards the end of the concert so we had to stop. Lot's of people were shouting "PLAY A DRUM SOLO" - but it would have been pointless without the PA on...plus I don't like playing drum solos anyway.

Hi jez-

I'm curious to know do you setup/build your drum kit before a gig or does someone from the band's crew do that? Does this change from band to band? And what about studio sessions, do you have to assemble the kit yourself or is it part of someone else's job?

I have my drum tech Jason set my stuff up for me on tour. When I've worked with different artists they've usually supplied me a drum tech from their crew. Most studio session I do these days are from home - and when I go to a external studio it depends how much stuff I'm going to take with me - and if there's budget to have a drum tech there for me. Otherwise I set it up myself.

Hi Funnyguy1970

I was thinking of bying the Axis double pedals, got a god deal for the "ordinary" pedals (not the longboard one).. Should i reconsider and go for the Longboards..??

I can't really advise you because I've never played anything except the longboards. I found that I could get great volume from the longboards that I can't imagine I could from the others. It's fine when you're practising at home - but in a band situation you just tend to play much louder.

Hi TC_Deibreak

Were the drums you used to play the intro of "What Happens Now?" hand percussion?If so, what kind?

It's a small Remo "sound shape" with a spring coming directly from the skin. I don't know if Remo still make it. I double tracked it as a stereo part.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Hello again Gavin.
Referring to your Rhythms Designs dvd I got 3 more questions:

1. The big fat sound of the bass drum disappears in the mix while the other instruments get in (i experienced it directly too: it's incredible how the kick jumps out while listening to a track and cutting down the bass frequencies of the kick little by little!). So.. why we should bother recording with sub's and other artifacts to get it fat anyway?

2. i saw u changed the mike u use from the 10" toms onwards (Sennheiser MD421?): why? what's the difference with the previous ones u were using?

3. what are the big panels u put around the drumset? absorbers? diffusers?

Again thx a lot for your replies and your time.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

hi gavin!!

i've been working with your book for 4 days now and i must say that you really make the songs feel"easy"!
I tried out all transcriptions, and i'm mostly able to keep in time and to play some variations!!!
your dvd explains the patterns really detailed and helps to unterstand them easy!

there is one question: in the song "break" you did a "mic hit" in one fill! was it planned??? why did you do it?

i tried to cut down my sonor artist snare wires to 8 strands now! sounds really incredible!!

thanks for all your help and inspiration!
david
Old 02-10-2010, 08:42 PM

Hi Gavin, just one quick question. You're awesome. :)
I know it's not a question, but wanted to say thanks for your dedication and willingness to share your secrets here with us. See you at Radio City in September.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 PM

Hi Gavin, im from Brasil and love your drum work in all your projects.

I wondering if you could tell me how crash cymbal kit you use on modern drummer 2008.

thanks !!

nice I can talk to you!

best regards!

Rico
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 AM

Hi Gavin

Just got my copy of Rhythmic Designs and im fairly surprised with it, more than i initially had expected.

Im sure it has been a huge work of transcription and shooting, so congratulations for the good work. Quantity and Quality for sure!!.

Such a deep and honest insight into your drumming, with the discussion of every groove, fill... deserve all my gratitude and praise -and as always will give work to do :-) -.

Just a question about 'Normal' from NR: At the begining of the song when you start to play is a 4/3 polyrhythm? -not quite sure.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Gustavo

Last edited by Gus; 02-11-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

steste50

1. The big fat sound of the bass drum disappears in the mix while the other instruments get in (i experienced it directly too: it's incredible how the kick jumps out while listening to a track and cutting down the bass frequencies of the kick little by little!). So.. why we should bother recording with sub's and other artifacts to get it fat anyway?

It all depends on the mix and what else is playing on the track. Sometimes (if there's sonic room) you can use some of the sub frequencies in the bass drum.

2. i saw u changed the mike u use from the 10" toms onwards (Sennheiser MD421?): why? what's the difference with the previous ones u were using?

I preferred the sound of them - especially in the lower toms. They seem to capture the lower frequencies better.

3. what are the big panels u put around the drumset? absorbers? diffusers?

They are old studio diffusers made by a company that I think doesn't exist any more called "AK" Acoustic Kinetics.

Hi Kalma

there is one question: in the song "break" you did a "mic hit" in one fill! was it planned??? why did you do it?

no it was an accidental hit - but it made me laugh so I left it in.

Hi mmrico

I wondering if you could tell me how crash cymbal kit you use on modern drummer 2008.

from my left...

# 16" Oriental China Trash
# 5 Custom-Made Chimes
# 13" K Hi-Hats
# 18" Crash of Doom
# 7" custom crash bell
# 9" custom crash bell
# 15" K Custom Crash
# 20" K Ride
# 18" A Custom Crash
# 12" Oriental China Trash
# 18" Z Custom China

Hi Gus

Just a question about 'Normal' from NR: At the begining of the song when you start to play is a 4/3 polyrhythm? -not quite sure.

not really it's just a bar of 4/4 broken into this syncopation: 4 groups of 3/16 + 4/16

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Gavin,

I wanted to congratulate you on the release of Rhythmic Designs. I got my copy (signed) and I've really been enjoying the video and transcriptions. Both you and Terry should be proud! Thanks so much for giving us drummers a way to expand our education with your insight and approach to drumming. Growing is learning and you've provided a great vehicle for that! They say humans only use about 10% of our brain during our entire lifetime. I think Rhythmic Designs might increase that statistic in us all!

My question: Do you ever reach a point as a drummer/musician to where you can listen to recordings you have done without turning on the "technical listening" side of yourself? Can you simply listen to it for what it is and enjoy it without critiquing it?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I have my drum tech Jason set my stuff up for me on tour. When I've worked with different artists they've usually supplied me a drum tech from their crew. Most studio session I do these days are from home - and when I go to a external studio it depends how much stuff I'm going to take with me - and if there's budget to have a drum tech there for me. Otherwise I set it up myself.
Alright, thanks for your reply. It would be nice to know if you had to instruct or "train" your drum tech to set up your kit? Because I know that a drummer wants his kit to be exactly right, not almost right. :)
Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 PM

Hello gavin,
Two questions:
any news about the drum clinic in italy?
there will be a second european tour for the incident?

Thank you for the availability
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JeffV71

Do you ever reach a point as a drummer/musician to where you can listen to recordings you have done without turning on the "technical listening" side of yourself? Can you simply listen to it for what it is and enjoy it without critiquing it?

Yes I can listen to it without focusing on what I did and just enjoy the music.

Hi jez-

It would be nice to know if you had to instruct or "train" your drum tech to set up your kit? Because I know that a drummer wants his kit to be exactly right, not almost right. :)

I think it''s quite easy to build my set. Almost everything is on the rack including most of the mic stands - and they are all marked clearly and have memory locks. There's a mat that the whole thing sits on - so all the legs of the rack and other stands are marked on the mat. I didn't really need to show Jason how to do it. He took some notes about what the order of the cymbals are and after that he set it up perfectly. I insist on changing all my own skins though.

Hi gymvideo

any news about the drum clinic in italy?
there will be a second european tour for the incident?

I'm sorry but I don't have news about any of these things. No plans at the moment.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin,

Regarding Axis pedals, have you tried out the new A21 design? It should supposedly offer more power than the standard longboards, and since you are one of the rare people I've heard of who get more power from Axis than other pedals, I wonder what are your thoughts on the new design.

Thanks for your time!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:15 AM

hey! you're such a great drummer, yet you've said that possibly your technique isn't perfect, and that you tend to hold the sticks toward (or right at) the back end. i have seen the value and purpose of doing exactly that, especially for being able to deliver at a high level, either recording or performing- there is a lot of speed and control with minimal wear on the hands.
if you had time to work, without the demands of constant playing, do you think there is the possibility you could achieve all the finesse and power that you have with your current grip, by moving the hands up a little, and perfecting it? thanks for being so accessible, but i don't mind if you don't answer this- mostly i am just thinking out loud and working things out in my own personal "drummerworld".
thanks for the great, great inspiration.

Last edited by iwantmemoney; 02-13-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Hi Dont Taze Me Bro

So, I have one question. Any plans to go anywhere near Phoenix, Arizona on the second NA leg of the Porcupine Tree tour? You guys were unbelievable at the Warfield in San Francisco.

I don't believe we are.

I'm also digging the tracks you put down on Ed Poole's new album, you've gotta be one of the tastiest drummers out there! Really dug the modulation bit at about 1:27 in Smoulder, quite creative.

Yes Ed's album is great fun - I've just recorded a bunch of tracks for his new album that should come out some time this year.

cheers
Gavin

Thanks for the reply Gavin! Thats great news about Ed Poole because I really like all the tasty stuff you contribute to his music.

One more question if you don't mind - What kind of set list does Porcupine Tree do at big festivals? Just a typical set or any changes with accessibility in mind? I'm just curious because I'm going to volunteer at Coachella in April so I'll be able to see you guys again!

Oh and I just got your new book a few days ago. I was downright baffled at how much content that was included..Really interesting to learn how you came up with all of these thoughtful parts too. Great job and congrats to you and Terry!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 AM

Hi Gavin,

just got the Rhythmic Designs DVD. I also bought the mp3's of "Drop" and "Circles".
Very inspiring drumming and a real challenge ....

Are there any plans to release other play-along tracks from these recordings?
It think it is a "little" easier to play this stuff when there is music to practice with.
People like me are willing to pay for this ... :)

I am really interested in "for lack of", which is my favourite song at the moment, "faith"
and "crisis" are also favourites.

All the best...
Old 02-13-2010, 12:51 PM

Hey Gavin,

Just like to say that I've been playing for 9 years and I've been on a plateau for about 4-5 months then I stumbled across yourself and your music on youtube about 3 weeks ago. Your drumming with PT and your new book have really inspired me creatively and I like to say thanks for helping me get the ball rolling again!

My question: I use a 24"x18 bass drum, it sounds amazing but the only problem with it is lugging it around to gigs every other week (I drive an old shape ford fiesta you know what I mean?) and I'm only 5"6 so the Toms are pretty high for me too. Do you have any experience getting great punchy sounds out of say a 20x20 bass drum?

Also what tips do you have about beater placement against the head because some people say its better to stike the centre, other people say strike just above the centre of the head?

Regards
Old 02-15-2010, 01:40 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Fiery

Regarding Axis pedals, have you tried out the new A21 design? It should supposedly offer more power than the standard longboards, and since you are one of the rare people I've heard of who get more power from Axis than other pedals, I wonder what are your thoughts on the new design.

I don't know anything about them. I better ask Derek Roddy about them quick. I don't quite understand what you mean by "rare people who get more power"? All you need to do is angle the beater right back - tighten up the spring and play it half way down the board - you'll get plenty of power like that.

Hi iwantmemoney

if you had time to work, without the demands of constant playing, do you think there is the possibility you could achieve all the finesse and power that you have with your current grip, by moving the hands up a little, and perfecting it?

Quite possibly. I always think my technique could be better.

Hi Dont Taze Me Bro

What kind of set list does Porcupine Tree do at big festivals? Just a typical set or any changes with accessibility in mind? I'm just curious because I'm going to volunteer at Coachella in April so I'll be able to see you guys again!

It depends on how long our time slot is - and what kind of festival it is. Some songs work better in some conditions than others. Sometimes we leave out the really long songs at festivals or only play part of them.

Hi linus

just got the Rhythmic Designs DVD. I also bought the mp3's of "Drop" and "Circles".
Very inspiring drumming and a real challenge ....
Are there any plans to release other play-along tracks from these recordings?

Thanks - glad you're enjoying it. There are no plans to release anymore playalongs. With all due respect to Ric and the music that we created for those records - I didn't want them to just be drum educational material. They weren't written for that purpose.

Hi Stunan

My question: I use a 24"x18 bass drum, it sounds amazing but the only problem with it is lugging it around to gigs every other week (I drive an old shape ford fiesta you know what I mean?) and I'm only 5"6 so the Toms are pretty high for me too. Do you have any experience getting great punchy sounds out of say a 20x20 bass drum?

It depends on the kind of music you're playing. Personally I wouldn't get a bass drum so deep as 20"...are you sure you could fit that in a Ford Fiesta? I think you're going to hear a huge difference going from a 24" down to a 20". How about a 22x16?

Also what tips do you have about beater placement against the head because some people say its better to stike the centre, other people say strike just above the centre of the head?

I tend to hit it above the centre point...but that's more to do with the beater length that I prefer.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 AM

Hey Gavin thanks a lot for the reply, I can actually fit my 24x18 in the car at the moment, just the view out of the back window is pretty much non existent so it's not very safe :( Most of the gigs I play are with rock/alternative bands So I'll take your advice and go to a drum shop and have a listen to some 22x16 and 22x18s and see how they sound.

Also thanks a lot for supplying the play along tracks with the rhythmic designs book it really helps with actually picking up the natural feel for the songs rather than trying to play along with the album versions if you know what I mean? Are there other play along tracks that I can purchase for any of your other tunes with 05ric/PT?

Regards
Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 PM

Hi Gavin, thanks a lot for the replying my question.

Can you tell me what snare are you using right now? because I know that you lika the 12'' but i dont know what snare you used.

I must say that your snares sound is great and your tecnique is impressive!!

thanks, and when did you come to BRASIL???????????

Porcupine Three have a lot of fans right here!!!

thanks

Best Regards!!

Rico
Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 AM

Default Studio cables

Hi Gavin!

Thanks for the inspiration and the time you put on this forum, it means alot!

I love your drumsound and wonder what microphone-cabels you use in your studio and also the lenght of them?

Regards,
Richard
Old 02-16-2010, 04:19 PM

Hey Gavin! It's a pleasure to be able to communicate with you on these forums.

I'd just like to thank you for your work Rhythmic Designs, and also ask if there are plans for doing a similar thing for other material you've done, or plan on doing?

-mp
Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi mmrico

Can you tell me what snare are you using right now? because I know that you lika the 12'' but i dont know what snare you used.

I use the Sonor SQ2 14x5 Birch and 12x5 Maple.

and when did you come to BRASIL???????????

I came to Brasil in 1994 with the brilliant guitarist Heitor Pereira.

Hi sandstrom

I love your drumsound and wonder what microphone-cabels you use in your studio and also the lenght of them?

OK you've discovered the real secret of my sound. It's all in the cables and the length!!! Very funny.

Hi osi.3

I'd just like to thank you for your work Rhythmic Designs, and also ask if there are plans for doing a similar thing for other material you've done, or plan on doing?

No plans at the moment. Do you have any requests?

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

Gavin,

Ive seen you 3 times on tour...you are indeed a treat to watch work. I am a regionally touring player and use noise cancelling custom fit earbuds. I know you wear an IEM, which brand do you prefer and for what reasons? I ask because our band is looking for common IEMs and Id like to hear from a touring professional the reasons they chose theirs.

All the best!

Florian