DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-08-2006, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Mike
Hey Gavin,
Excellent show last night in NYC!!!! The 3rd song in the first set was amazing! Cant wait to here it on the new album. The room sounded great, not a bad seat in the house. There was a line completely all the way around the block. Totally speechless. Thanks for stopping by and showing us a good time, i really enjoyed myself. Take care and God bless.

MM
Yea, everything he said I second. The line was huge, even getting there and hour and a half early. But it was completely worth it. The whole band sounded fabulous, and the new stuff was awesome. I really liked the song I think right after the epic...not the quiet one but the really funky time signature one where it almost sounded like you played some sort of strange heavy rock shuffle in some wacky time signature (you'll probably be raising your eyebrow with that description). That drumming made The Sound of Muzak sound simple! And once again, you blew me and my completely not-drum-savvy friends away when they usually don't care about that stuff. Thanks for such an amazing show.

Also...Trains was interesting. There was sound clip played during a lapse in the song where everyone got quiet. It was funny, but what was the deal with that? It was hilarious nonetheless.

Thanks for the great show and good luck!

(PS: Did you notice the ridiculously wasted and loud obnoxious tall guy in the front left? Yea, I was stuck behind him.)
Old 10-08-2006, 06:35 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks Mike & jmontroy,
It wasn't that great a sound on stage, I couldn't hear/feel any of the room - so it sounded like playing in a rehearsal room with no P.A. I've been in that kind of position so many times (as I'm sure a lot of drummers have) where you just have to play on and hope it sounds good out front.

The strange sound clip in Trains was a sample Richard made of me when I was doing an impersonation of our English/Geordie bus driver.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-10-2006, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison
Yes I've changed over to K hi hats because - first they sound very musical to me, and second I broke too many top cymbals of the Remix series. I still have the Remix hats and still really like them - but I know they won't take a lot of heavy hitting.
Glad you liked "Shallow" - I used the K hi hats on that song.
Hi Gavin,
were the K hats (are they 14"?) used on The Start of Something Beautiful and Glass Arm Shattering? I'm looking to upgrade my current hi-hats and I'm torn between the Ks and K Custom Special Dry. I really like the way the Ks sound in Shallow, and if indeed they were used on the other two tracks mentioned I just might be sold.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:53 AM

Hey Gavin,
So i dont understand. If you guys set your own static mixes during sound check then i dont understand how the room sounded so bad from where you were sitting. FOH sounded great!!!

MM
Old 10-10-2006, 07:29 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Sonor,
yes I used 13" K hi hats on those songs.

Hi Mike,
I can still feel the PA in the room, even though I have the ears on. That night It felt like the PA was off from where I was sitting. Being close to the PA stacks or a long way back makes a big difference in vibe to us.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-12-2006, 01:08 AM

Hey Gavin! First off I just want to say AMAZING show on Friday at Nokia Theater. I can't wait for the new album to come out.

Now on to drum business...

First off, I've been playing for about 5 years now and I'm currently studying New Breed and a snare drum book at the moment. I want to get Illusions but I don't know if I'm at the level the book starts off with, and I would like to know if you would recommend it for someone playing for 5 years, or is the book for more advanced players?

Next, I can not find a good way to setup my Pearl Icon rack and I have been struggling with it ever since I recieved it. Then I realized YOU use the rack and your setup looks incredibly comfortable. Is there a way I can get a diagram of your setup of some kind, or measurements of the height you have the bars at or something. It would help me greatly.

And Finally, the set of chimes that you have are custom made by yourself I've read. I think they sound amazing. Have you talked to Zildjian about the chimes to see if they can produce it for the public, or is there a way the average person can make them themselves as you did? OR maybe you can start a cymbal making business or something haha. Please let me know.

Thank you very much
Old 10-12-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontroy
(PS: Did you notice the ridiculously wasted and loud obnoxious tall guy in the front left? Yea, I was stuck behind him.)
Hahaha yeah that guy was so wasted. "BASS!! BASS!!" That dude was so annoying.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:27 AM

Hi Gavin;
Just wanted to say the show at the Nokia theater was fantastic! The sound was great all around and if you were playing with the flu, I certainly couldn't tell, your playing was incredible. It was a nice suprise hearing the new material, I'm looking forward to the new album.
Who is the second guitarist that was with you guys? Does he record with PT too?
Thanks. Take care.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:04 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Massik Kretal,
Glad you enjoyed the NY show. I don't know how good your reading is - but you may enjoy Rhythmic Illusions. It comes with a CD so that help you understand some tricky parts.

I'll try and find my photos of my rack - it has all the measurements. I use it to set-up a new one if I ever rent one on the other side of the world.

If I start my own cymbal company I'll let you all know!!!!

Hi jr100,
our second guitarist is John Wesley, and no he doesn't usually record with us.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-12-2006, 05:34 AM

Well alrighty. The pictures with measurements would be great. My reading is pretty good I think. I guess I'll just see if a store has the book and skim through it and see if its good for me. Maybe later on after I get further into New Breed I'll get it.

Do you think you guys will take John Wesly as a member of the band like Opeth did with Per Wilber?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Hi Sonor,
yes I used 13" K hi hats on those songs.
Thanks Gavin. They're on order!

I would just like to say, and I'm sure I speak for everyone, how much we appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to respond to all our questions, sometimes twice.
I enjoy reading your posts almost as much as I enjoy listening to you play.

Again, many thanks, Gavin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massik Kretal
Do you think you guys will take John Wesly as a member of the band like Opeth did with Per Wilber?
Hehehe...his hair is too funny to be a permanent member. ;)
Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 PM

Hi Gavin,

Really nice of you to take the time to answer so many questions. If you have a moment I have a couple of my own I would like to ask..

1. I’ve been playing for 15 years so I have a fair idea of what I want to achieve on the drums so.... how can I be as good as Buddy Rich a week from now ? Stem Cell milkshake maybe ?

2. What gave you the rhythmic ideas for the song Sound Of MuzaK ? I found the bass drum placement in the beat a bit hard to get down at 1st and really love the way it effects the feel of the song. I have to thank you for your contribution to that composition because it is very satisfying to play along with (when I get it right!) and really a great song.

Please ignore question #1

Regards,

Liquid Drummer
Old 10-12-2006, 08:56 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Sonor,
hope you enjoy the 13" K's - I love 'em.

Hi Liquid_Drummer,
a Stem Cell milkshake is probably the best idea!!!!
Actually the kick and snare pattern is perfectly symmetrical. It's 7/16
(kick - - kick - snare - ). I think of it in 7/4 so you play the 7/16 kick and snare pattern 4 times in one bar.
I still like playing it even though we've performed it hundreds of times.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 PM

Wow that was fast ! Thx a bunch Gavin. I have to say It sure didnít feel symmetrical learning it. Felt like I was doing independence exercises. Imagine how it sounds playing without the bass drum. Hard to explain what I am getting at but to me itís so cool and odd how the snare and hi-hat rhythm interact when you hear them without the bass drum. I have developed quite a few practice routines based on that feel. Thx again. I donít suppose you guys are coming anywhere near Louisville, Kentucky in the future are you ?
Thx for the inspiration,

Liquid Drummer
Old 10-13-2006, 03:04 AM

Hey Gavin,

First of all, you rule. Now here's the my question:

I own your rhythmic illusions DVD and I'm having trouble with the displacement exercises. I'm not sure how I should be feeling the displaced figures, such as when you move the beat up 1 sixteenth note. Should I still be counting the sixteenth notes (hits on "e" and "a", or should I now feel the metronome click as the "a" of the subdivisions? Should I be feeling the displaced figure with its own downbeat or with the new downbeat? I'm not sure if that makes sense, but its really giving me problems. I appreciate any help you can give me on the matter. Thanks a lot and keep up the awesome work.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:57 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi TheTerribleTomTom,
interesting name.
You got it the first time...you should I still be counting the sixteenth notes (hits on "e" and "a". Keep your mind in the original position. Only the listener should be hearing it as a 'new' downbeat. You have to be careful when creating a rhythmic illusion that you don't fool yourself into hearing it in a new position (as with displacement) or a new tempo (as with modulation). Stay with the original timing in your head.

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-13-2006, 05:12 AM

Hey Gavin,
I was wondering if you have ever dropped a stick during a live performance and recovered.

MM
Old 10-13-2006, 08:13 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Many times Mike!!!!

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-13-2006, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the chuckle Gavin,
I'm not trying to be annoying, i just thought id bring up a drummer taboo. It seems nobody likes to talk about dropping sticks during performances. God knows we've all had our fair share. Its also nice to know that you're just a human being like the rest of us. Thanks.

MM

p.s. I cant stand playing when i'm sick, hope your feeling better.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:06 AM

Default GAVIN HARRISON

Hello Gavin,
>
> My name is Thomas Occhiogrosso, I'm also a drummer. Hearing first
> about Porcupine Tree from my friend Buddy Macy.
> Became an immediate fan. My band (Fear Of Flying) had just finished
> a show in Baltimore, when my bass player noticed some
> DVD;s on a vendors display. He purchased a live DVD of P.T. in
> Germany. I was very impressed with your style and
> technique. I then drove 3hrs. to the Nokia Theater in NYC to see
> you live with P.T.
> Everything I had expected and more. My friend Andy Vandette from
> Master Disk met us there. Latter finding out he
> actually mastered Pt's music. Thanks for a memorable night.
>
> Now for my question..
> I have been trying to decide on an in-ear monitor system. Most
> clubs,rooms are so erratic. My
> drums never sound the same. I'm not a very hard hitter so I play a
> lot on feel. 8 months ago
> I started using a double pedal. I would really like to here all
> those subtle hits clearer.
> I resolve to wearing ear plugs because of the volume which also
> adds to the problem.
> I do feel very relaxed in the studio playing with head phones. So I
> assume the similar
> relaxed environment can be created with in-ear monitors.
> (providing I get what I need in
> the mix).
>
> What kind of in-ear monitors do you use and what type of
> transmitter and receiver?
>
> Thanks for the inspiration
>
> Tom Occhiogrosso

Last edited by DogBreath; 10-14-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:27 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Tom,
thanks for the message. I've been using an 'in ear' system for about 4 years now, and I understand the problems that you're having - especially the bass drum.
I don't use a transmitter/receiver - I just plug straight into a little 6 channel mixer that's right next to me so that I can turn things up or down as I'm playing - such as a click track channel (when there's a sequencer or backing track) the overall volume of my drums, the overall volume of the rest of the band (pre mixed at our monitor desk) and a high EQ'ed frequency clicky bass drum channel. I really wanted to have the chance to listen to a very clicky bass drum sound when I was playing some intricate double bass drum parts. Obviously it's not a sound that the other guys in the band want - nor would I want such a sound coming through a speaker on stage - it would be pretty nasty - but I can have just the right amount of it in my headphones so that I can hear the articulation of the double pedal and (hopefully) be able to play it more accurately. In some songs I just turn it right down if I don't need it.

Having a good in ear system does really help for consistency from night to night (if you have the same mics and the same monitor desk too). But depending on the room and your proximity to the PA - things can still feel quite different.

Good luck

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-14-2006, 10:42 PM

That helped me out too, I'm looking into those things aswell.

So hows that diagram doing? haha
Old 10-15-2006, 08:33 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Massik,
here's a shot of my drum rack

Cheers
Gavin
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2006, 03:28 AM

Hello.................Gavin,
Thanks for the info,
I'm going to give it a try.
Thanks again
looking forward to seeing you again.
Tom Occhiogrosso
Old 10-16-2006, 05:23 AM

Hey Gavin,
I have a suggestion that you might be interested in. Just recently i was turned onto a DVD called ANIMUSIC. From the outset i was blown away, really groundbreaking stuff. It is Music driven animation, not the other way around. Here is the site, click on (DVD info & clips),and then (Animusic 1 (special edition)). The three video clips you must look at are, "Drum Machine," "Pipe Dream," and "Harmonic Voltage."
The reason i am suggesting this is because PT has done some pretty groundbreaking and inventive things in the past couple years. I realize that you guys like to think outside the box most of the time. Every time i watch "Harmonic Voltage" i cant help but think, "Wow, it would be great if these two forces joined, they could come up with something totally outrageous and entertaining!"
The entire DVD is quite remarkable and still has room for improvement on the musical side. Fairly cheap too, about $20. Please, take some time and check it out, i think in the long run this would be a great treat for the PT fans and help open a few doors towards multimedia entertainment. Thanks. Take care and God bless.

http://www.animusic.com/index.shtml

MM
Old 10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Mike,
yes I know this stuff very well - I was looking at it some time ago. Very interesting - I'd love to do a drum video with it.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Hi Massik,
here's a shot of my drum rack

Cheers
Gavin
Gavin you truly are the greatest! Thank you! I really appreciate it.

I cant help but notice the side legs look smaller. And the bar on the left is smaller as well. Is it the three sides ICON rack? Or is it a single bar with two extention bars? Sorry for bothering you with so many questions about your setup.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:40 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Massik,
it's a regular 3 sided Icon rack - except I cut the left hand bar down by about a third.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-17-2006, 08:12 PM

Hi Gavin, (sorry if my english is bad, I'm a french canadian)

First, I'd like to say that it's very nice of you to answer all those questions, it's appreciated for sure

I just wanted to ask you to pass my message to Steven Wilson. I just turned 18 years old and have been very influenced by his work, so much that I now consider him as my hero, my idol. I would love to meet him one day. The last time you guys came to Montreal (where I live) in 2005, Steven told us (the crowd) that PT would be back *for sure* the next year for the promotion of the DVD. And it did not happen !!!!! Just tell him he's still my hero, I still worship him, but I am mad at him because I was really hoping to see you again this year.

Are you guys coming back to Montreal one day ?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:31 AM

Hi Gavin!

This thread is becoming quite informative I think! Truly amazing of you to answer all these questions. :D

What im wondering about has to do with the use of clicktracks live.
Do you use a clicktrack on all PT songs live? Or is it just used during some special songs with video projections?
Does everyone in PT have the clicktrack in the in-ear monitors, or is just you who uses it?
Also is it you that controls the clicktracks (Start them) or is it Richard or any of the others?

The reason im asking is that my bandmates really want to use samplings in a live setting, but we really don't have much of a clue on how much effort goes into programming clicks, and the use of samplings.
Also I tried to use a metronome at the last practice, but it's pretty annoying listening to an eight-note clicktrack through your whole reportoire..

Ps. Recieved "Arriving Somewhere" and "Rhythmic Horizons" a little while ago, and they are both amazing!
19 days is truly stunning!!
A little question about the intro music to RH.. What track is that? Something you've composed yourself? Would love to hear the whole session ;)

And about the PT dvd: It is really great! Your playing is beyond drumming! I was also very eager to hear your go on some of the old tracks, and your drumming on "Even Less" is divine!
But I think my favourite moments of the dvd is:
1. The break in hatesong where you wet your index finger and rubs it over the drumhead of your tom to make that cool sound!
2. The string break in "Trains" and Steven responding to the guy in the audience "NOT Free bird!!" That's hilarious!

That was a bit long.. well, anyway!!

Cheers
Chris!!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi cvighals,
I don't use a click track to every PT song live - only the ones that need it because of the films being in sync or if there's a sequencer/drum loop playing in a particular song.

In the songs where we use a click - there are times where I'm not playing - like in an intro or a breakdown section where the drums stop. Then I can program a click to appear in the other members 'in ear' monitors. Otherwise I would have to play something like 1/4 notes on a hi hat during those sections to keep them from drifting out of time with the click/backing track.

Yes, playing to a click live is a strange thing to do at first - but you get used to it. The difficult part can be when your band mates might push or drag against the click - and it's all down to you to try to keep the whole thing on track. A drummers nightmare.

I wrote an article a few years ago about programming click tracks - because I got fed up with keyboard players or producers giving me such bad clicks.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0...licktracks.htm

The intro music to Rhythmic Horizons is something I composed and played - but I never developed it into a whole piece.

Glad you're enjoying the DVD's

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-18-2006, 03:24 PM

Thanks Gavin!!

Really good and helpful article!
The thing about eq'ing the click and markers in the song are brilliant!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Hi Massik,
it's a regular 3 sided Icon rack - except I cut the left hand bar down by about a third.

Cheers
Gavin
Oh alright thank you very much!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:00 AM

Default M&C divided

Evening (morning?) Gavin,

Thanks again for taking time out to respond to these posts. I was wondering if you had any hints about the main groove on Mother and Child Divided? I'm making an attempt to transcribe it for myself, but as I'm not the most advanced drummer at this point, it's giving me a bit of trouble :) Something about it makes me really want to play it though, just such a cool feel.

Thanks.

p.s. - Has Steve discovered what happened to his amp in SF yet? I can't imagine how stressful that must have been. My brother (also a guitar player) couldn't watch, imagining it was happening to him! Glad it got worked out, it turned out to be a great show.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi stoneymonster,
I actually did a CD lesson on this track for a UK magazine called Rhythm.
The basic pattern is in 10/16

k - - k - k - s - - (this is Kick and Snare)

then the whole pattern is played over 2 bars of 4/4 - so it's 3 times through the 10/16 pattern then 2/16 on the end to make it fit into a two bar slot.

k - - k - k - s - - k - - k - k : - s - - k - - k - k - s - - k - : (This last kick I sometimes playas a bass drum triplet roll). Of course you need to accent quarter notes on the hi hat above this pattern.

Steve's amp blew up in the middle of the opening song in SF....a bit of disaster. It proves that we need to carry a spare one from now on.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 PM

Thanks Gavin. The 2/16 make-up beats were throwing me off. How do you approach writing something like that? Is that what you hear and you figure out how it works later, or do you start more analytically/mathematically and "design" the pattern around what the song is doing and what works rhythmically? Does this question even make sense? ha.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:46 AM

Hey Gavin,
Considering your starting to record PT's next album, and i'm starting to record my first, i thought it would be nice if you could give us drummers a crash course in Mic choice, placement, EQ, etc... all the way to final mixdown and mastering. Thanks for your time. Take care and God bless.

MM
Old 10-20-2006, 05:51 AM

Hey Gav,

Do you know the guys from Frost*?. What an amazing UK band they are!. I really hope you guys tour with them.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:23 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

i stoneymonster,
Actually I had that drum pattern in the back of my mind for quite a long time. I wrote a 10/16 pattern many years ago - and it features in the back of my first book "Rhythmic Illusions". I adapted it for a more heavy approach and played it to Steve Wilson. I suggested that the bass and guitar could follow the kick and snare rhythm - and so the song was born.

Hi Mike,
the microphones that I will use on the next record will be

Audix D6 for the kick
Audix i5 for the snare top
Shure SM57 on the underside of the snare
Sennheiser MD421 or EV 408 on the toms (haven't decided yet)
AKG CK391 for hi hat
2 x Royer 122's for overheads
2 x Neumann 103's for close ambience
2 x Schoeps CMC5's for distance room ambience

there'll be no eq'ing to speak of. That'll be done in the mix if needed.

Hi TomasHakkesBrain
sorry but I don't know "Frost". Guess I'll have to check them out.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 10-21-2006, 08:06 AM

Hey Gavin,
Nice selection of mics. My god, those Royers, Neumann, and Schoeps are crazy expensive. I'm surprised to see you using ribbon mics for your overheads, gotta be careful with those babies! The close ambiance and room ambience is something i've never come across. Can you explain that a little? Will you be using all the mics simultaniously on one take and then using what sounds good in the mixdown? Any particular sample rate your comfortable with? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

MM

p.s. the article on click tracks was well written, informative, slightly humorous, and insighful. thanks.