DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What's your latest purchase?

Marshall Class 5 .....grunty little beggar it is..
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2018, 11:05 PM

I came in to work, ready to teach lessons, and ended up leaving with a pair of maple-shelled Yamaha Alex AcuŮa timbales in near-mint condition! They'll be getting used tomorrow night, with the Rush tribute show. Goodbye Pearl steel piccolo, hello real timbale!

Some friends of mine also do a latin jam here in town, so I'll have to break these bad boys out at one of those next time I'm able. Time to start brushing up on my cascara, I think.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

This Swiss beauty came to my door yesterday...
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2018, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

Paiste 602 20in thin crash. Simply beautiful
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2018, 09:21 PM

Just received the newest Drumnetics single signed by the founder (paid extra for the Custom Long Board - pictured) - damn near perfect - when you think about it, the kick pedal is a great mechanism for expressing the inherent qualities of magnetism. This is NO GIMMICK - absolutely silent, frictionless, infinitely adjustable, incredibly responsive and CNC milled. Captures all the advantages of an invisible man-made spring, using a fundamental force billions of years in the making. Worth every penny - and worth the wait for obtaining this hand crafted Gem. Just try and find an actual owner who is not satisfied. Over 10 years in production. www.drumnetics.com
Attached Images

Last edited by Lokni; 10-26-2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: And pict
Old 10-25-2018, 12:06 PM

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...l#product-tabs
Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM

Picked up this PDP Concept Maple Classic, 24/13/16 the other day. I'd been watching it on Facebook marketplace steadily come down in price for the last month near where I deer hunt. Got it for $350 cash, less than a year old. Wish I could have given the kid a bit more, but I wasn't looking to buy another kit and the guy needed the money.

Picked up some clear black dots for the top, clear emperors for the bottoms, and a clear powerstroke 3 for the bass drum. Just got it set up and I'm digging it so far. Way different tone than my standard Concept Maple set.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2018, 04:46 AM

Atlas Arch tom mount for my new kit. Very adjustable and very solid.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 PM

Found a set of mesh heads that fix my Mapex kit so I bought some Ddrum triggers to convert into acoustic ekit. Now I need to figure out how to tweak things for the right sound and response.

Yamaha Stage Custom
Mapex Saturn Pro
Old 11-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Pioneer Member

My old DW air lift tractor seat throne became very uncomfortable after 15 years of use. I ordered another DW round top air lift and that thing was sturdy as a rock. It felt like one too!!! After sitting on it for a few minutes my butt hurt. Absolutely horrible.

So I returned that and got a Roc N Soc.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
My old DW air lift tractor seat throne became very uncomfortable after 15 years of use. I ordered another DW round top air lift and that thing was sturdy as a rock. It felt like one too!!! After sitting on it for a few minutes my butt hurt. Absolutely horrible.

Enjoy it! I love mine. I bought the backrest too, so my entire backside can thank me every day... :)
Old 11-19-2018, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Just bought one of these.

Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition 14x6.5

Been after one of these for years and they seldom come up for sale. It’s an absolute beautiful snare and sounds just as good as I remembered.

Bumped into it last night on gumteee for a great price, contacted the owner and quickly arranged to meet him today at one of his gigs in a pop up venue in a London Underground station, also watched his bands set for a bit too.

Very pleasant evening.

Can’t wait to get stuck into this.

Just got to sneak it into the house without the other half seeing it.

Wish me luck!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Juniper; 11-19-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post

Just got a new seat top for my Lunar throne, which was about 10 years old. I used it for "Little Shop of Horrors" and I noticed the difference between it and my new Gibraltar throne which I'm using for gigs, so I ordered a new one.

It came with the retrofit mounting plate on it, so I could always switch the Gibraltar throne's seat out with the Roc-N-Soc if I so chose.

But 10 years for a throne seat - not bad.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post

Just got to sneak it into the house without the other half seeing it.

Wish me luck!!
Good looking drum :) Did the import operation succeed?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Good looking drum :) Did the import operation succeed?
I’m pleased to say it made it into the house with no incidences, the SAS would have been proud of the operation I think!

Hate keeping secrets from her and fessed up eventually. She said “Well it is a very good looking drum” so I think it got her approval.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

A squeaky chicken/rooster.

Should be here next week.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

Courtesy of small business Saturday ,I picked up a used 20 in Flat Zildjian K Constantinople at the local music store for $200 bucks.

Will post picts and vids soon.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Gold Member

V-Drums....TD-1DMK. Guitar center didnt want to buy my hot pink/black hardware PDP kit, so I kept that. They did buy my Maryland Drums 6.5"x14" Black Brass snare drum...they offered $150...I got $175...yup KILLED IT....jokes on them, bought it from them 10 years ago for a mere $600.

Have I mentioned how happy I am about it? You'd think I just received my 3 years in the making specially commissioned last one made Guru kit made from ultra hard petrified wood from Mars. But color (colour) me elated.

Ive been playing along to yacht rock a bit, so Im not sure how I feel about that. Lmk if anyone has any home remedies or sage advice. I dunno, its so much fun playing stuff you can connect with emotionally and Im a sucker for nostalgia. Dont judge me
Old 11-26-2018, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

I bought a used Sabian 20" Pro Ride. It is the third time I have owned one. I will use it at band practice Saturday. Peace and goodwill.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo View Post
Atlas Arch tom mount for my new kit. Very adjustable and very solid.
That is a drop-dead gorgeous set of WMP Ludwig drums! Just beautiful!

How do you like the Ludwig Atlas Arch tom mount? I'm looking at all the options for adding a rail mount to my drum set, and I'm considering the Atlas Arch.

Also curious - does mounting the Arch to the batter side of the bass drum move the tom too close to you? I've seen them mounted both ways.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 11-26-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
That is a drop-dead gorgeous set of WMP Ludwig drums! Just beautiful!

How do you like the Ludwig Atlas Arch tom mount? I'm looking at all the options for adding a rail mount to my drum set, and I'm considering the Atlas Arch.

Also curious - does mounting the Arch to the batter side of the bass drum move the tom too close to you? I've seen them mounted both ways.

GeeDeeEmm
Thank you! I really like the arch. It works perfect for me where it is. I considered leaving the lug mounts where they are but moving the rail to the back side, which can be done- you actually have 4 options to position it- but unless I feel like a change, this is working. Iíve got a new pedal with longer boards inbound, so that may have me wanting to move back a bit...

INDe makes a lower profile mount/lug, but they donít have a rail, as far as I know. Iíve also used the DW rail mount, which works great, but requires drilling.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

I bought two pair of inexpensive sticks. One pair I have and I really like them. The other pair I gave to a venue so that they would have sticks to use on open mic night. They already disappeared.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

A short boom stand for my snare microphone (because clips don't work with the S-hoops on my Guru snare), a 10-foot XLR cable, and a couple of pairs of Headhunters maple sticks with grips, in an attempt to address hand pain issues i suspect are partially caused by overgripping. I played with these sticks for some years when I shopped at Music 6000 in Olympia; my local shop just became one of just four shops in the state to carry them.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

15" Zildjian New Beats. I've wanted a pair of those for a good 5 years. Love the sound & real estate.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
I bought a used Sabian 20" Pro Ride. It is the third time I have owned one. I will use it at band practice Saturday. Peace and goodwill.
Actually, I decided to take it to church and play it there. Peace and goodwill.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:54 PM
Silver Member

I bought a new snare to use with my Gretsch Brooklyn kit. It's a 14x6 Hendrix Archetype Stave Walnut with S-hoops and Trick 3 position throw off. Satin finish with an abalone inlay. It is just perfect with this kit both sonically and visually. Me so happy.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2018, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Gibraltar turning point hi hat stand.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2018, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

The fun begins next week...
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2018, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Yesterday Musician's Friend did this 4-piece Digital Reference microphone kit for $49 ($50 off). I figured a set of beater mikes for that price was a pretty good deal. We'll see if it really was...

EDIT:They have arrived, and I tested them out on my Stage Customs, which happened to be the drums set up at the time. I put one tom/snare mic on my snare, the other two on the 12" and 14" toms, and the kick mic on the 16" floor tom. They will totally work for live sound... but I'm probably going to keep using e604s for recording.

Last edited by alparrott; 12-21-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Not sure how it happened as I've been using a 14" share predominantly for a while and been looking at getting another 14" brass snare too, but I've somehow just come home with a 12" X 6" Yamaha Musashi oak snare drum.
At the weekend an interior lug nut on my 14" snare snapped so I swung by my local used dealer to get a replacement and while I was at it a 2 ply head for the drum too as the coated Ambassador was due for replacement. In stock on a stand was the Musashi snare, something I'd been keen to own a few years earlier. Anyway, he gave me half a dozen lug nuts to see which would fit, when I returned the other five there was no charge for the lug nut I'd used. The Musashi snare was still there. I gave it a few days thinking that if it had gone when I next went in then that was just fate, it wasn't gone today so for £80 I'm pleased with what I've got, and a mint Protection Racket case for another £20 just sweetened the deal.
I've taken the batter head off (a lightly used Remo USA Yamaha branded head) and fitted a clear Code Generator (Pinstripe alike) which I bought months ago for a fiver as it's got the old Code logo on it. Before doing that I cinched up the interior lug screws and there was only minimal give for me to tighten up. The only faults I can see on the drum are a gouge (too strong a word tbh) pictured, and the snare wires, which I'm not sure if they're standard or not, have a kink in them, I'll find out if that affects the sound tomorrow night when I gig it. I've heard criticisms of the 1.5mm hoops but I won't rush to replace them until I've tried them and to be honest the hoop itself didn't feel particularly light when I took it off so for all I know it could already be a 2.3mm job.
I'm justifying the purchase to myself by saying that a) I really wanted one for ages, b) reading up on them they seem to have an ever so slightly darker sound than perhaps my 2 Black Panther snares do so that'll please the band, and c) this has saved me spending £20+ on the 14" head I went in to buy so "in a way" it's only cost me £60. Yes I know I'm stretching a point there :-)
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Just picked up my 2nd Sabian 22" HH Liquid Ride, the Chester Thompson Signature model. It has a slight Sound Control flange and sounds balanced and sweet. My first was a brilliant, and this one is 'raw', with a little less sizzle, but still sounds beautiful. I have my eye on another one if I can get it at the right price. It's my #1 ride in the studio and on many gigs (the other is a crash I use as a crash/ride.)

It's not a current model for Sabian anymore, so I can no longer get one as part of my endorsement. :(

Bermuda
Old 12-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

I bought this last weekend. Peace and goodwill.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

Iíve been trying out the Tama HH905RH Remote Hi-Hat stand (more like a kit). It comes with a 2.3-meter cable, and I switched that out (easily) for the 1.2 meter length.

After two weeks, my initial thoughts:
  • 2.3 meter cable fits well for placing the hats on opposite side of the kit from the pedal.
  • 2.3 meter cable setup feels sluggish but not sticky. Fast eighth notes with the foot/hat arenít going to happen.
  • 1.2 meter feels much better. Eighth notes can be done with foot/hat.
  • Bracket assembly works well and is very adjustable.
  • After 50 years of playing with a hi-hat stand, itís not easy getting used to this new placement.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

Pearl SR017 throwoff for my second hand 12Ē Sensitone steel.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Used Pearl Vision from a few years ago.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Purchased Pat Petrillo's Hands, Grooves and Fills book and DVD combo pack.
This material will keep me busy for a long time. Years!
Old 12-17-2018, 05:03 PM

Aquarian Response 2 Clear in 13, 16 and 18.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

2 - Soultone 18" Vintage Old School 1964 Crash/Rides
Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
Iíve been trying out the Tama HH905RH Remote Hi-Hat stand (more like a kit). It comes with a 2.3-meter cable, and I switched that out (easily) for the 1.2 meter length.

After two weeks, my initial thoughts:
  • 2.3 meter cable fits well for placing the hats on opposite side of the kit from the pedal.
  • 2.3 meter cable setup feels sluggish but not sticky. Fast eighth notes with the foot/hat arenít going to happen.
  • 1.2 meter feels much better. Eighth notes can be done with foot/hat.
  • Bracket assembly works well and is very adjustable.
  • After 50 years of playing with a hi-hat stand, itís not easy getting used to this new placement.

How do you like your Tama Star Reserve snare?
Roland TD30KV
Old 12-18-2018, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
How do you like your Tama Star Reserve snare?
The jury is still out.

So far, at normal tunings I really like it for its regular "snare drum sound". For a de-tuned "fat" sound it has to be heavily muffled with moon gel or a few o-rings to kill the resonance. And I'd rather use my 4x15 brass snare for that kind of sound (I don't fight any resonance). Tuned high & tight it sounds like most other maple snare drums, but much louder.

There are lower fundamental harmonics that emanate from it, but when I record with it, I get a sound that reminds me of a beach ball being smacked.

https://soundcloud.com/cbphoto2002/fx-26