Can anyone please recommend Jazz instructor in S.F. bay area. Thank you.

PretendDrummer

Hello, if you read my last post you'll know I need a new jazz instructor that actually plays jazz. Can any of you please recommend a good jazz teacher, or can any of you teach me. I got time, patience, money, and slight ability. Thank you so much.

Hello, if you read my last post you'll know I need a new jazz instructor that actually plays jazz. Can any of you please recommend a good jazz teacher, or can any of you teach me. I got time, patience, money, and slight ability. Thank you so much.

Plays jazz for a living? That's crazy talk ;)

Sorry I didn't mean for a living, haha, I know jazz is dead just like punk and disco. My current teacher seems to be fixated on the Weather Report, and fusion drumming. He's good and all, I just don't think he plays mainly jazz. haha

Sorry I didn't mean for a living, haha, I know jazz is dead just like punk and disco. My current teacher seems to be fixated on the Weather Report, and fusion drumming. He's good and all, I just don't think he plays mainly jazz. haha

Jazz is DEAD??? Hmmm Maybe on YOUTUBE or the local radio channels, but there are still alot of jazz clubs!

I actually got booted from a teacher because my Jazz wasn't coming along fast enough and I was too rock oriented. If you're really serious about learning it, and want the name, I'll give it to you, but with a stern warning, this can't be just a passing faze. You need to really be ready to understand jazz and play it. Teacher works out of Oakland.

Last edited:
Dude I'm serious, I bought John Riley's book when I was like 18, and gave up cause I'm a slow learner. Last year at around 29, I picked it up and it finally clicked. The movie Whiplash didn't bring me here, I'm serious. It is just really frustrating trying to teach yourself such a delicate thing. I will consider all recommendations. Thank you all so much, and by saying I have money, I don't mean thousands of dollars. My current teacher is charging $60 for instance, thank you all so much. Oh and I really like hardbop.

Howdy all. Well I'm still trying to find a good jazz teacher in San Jose area of the bay area. I tried calling Al Foster, but his number is disconnected, and the other guy is too far. Also, I'm on the last page of triplet comping of John Riley's The Art of Bop Drumming, about to start soloing ideas(if anyone really cares, haha), thank you all, I'm not in a hurry.

Check the union book.

Also, once you get through that last page, go back to the first page and play everything half as fast.

Yep. This is the best advice you get today. I started beyond bop, then closed it after a couple of pages [and a couple of weeks] then went back to Art almost from the top. That helped me more than anything. Good luck with your search, keep it up!

Oh and I did get to see whiplash last week, a good movie. Not a great drumming movie, more like a good drama.

Next up, Birdman [within the next year or two].

Have a great one!

Troy Dares In Sunnyvale ( I live in Palo Alto)
He has been my teacher for the last year and a half and he is a fantastic teacher. Troy is an amazing player and he really understands learning styles and how students absorb information. I have learned just as much about my learning style as I have about drumming and music. He is a very gifted teacher.

I came to Troy on a recommendation from Billy Kilson when he was in the area with Chris Botti. Troy has been a student of Kilson's for over 10 years.
I came in with 2 goals. Learning to read music and learn to play big band style with the goal of playing in a jr. college jazz band.

I did both within 6 months and now I can even sight read basic charts with the band.

Let me know if you want his contact info and good luck in your search. I went through 3 teachers before I found the right fit.

A

Hey Harmonic, yes I'm interested in contact info, and i'll give him a try. I also sent pm, but I don't know if it went through. thx dude

Back