1980 Tama Swingstar - price?

shredder_66

Can someone give me an estimated price on a 1980 Tama Swingstar kit. The condition is good and all drums have Evans Genera G2 skins.

Last edited:
Decent drums.Nine ply mahogany(luan) shell,with I believe PVC plain wrap .They were and still are Tamas entry level line.

If I was totally in love with them,I'd say 300-350 is pushing it.The're not collectable ,nor desirable.Just a decent working kit.

Steve B

Realistically, 200-250 depending on condition, location, how quickly you want to sell. Maybe a bit more if the heads are in great shape. If you're lucky, in a prime area, and in perfect condition maybe you could hit 400.

I would say no more than $200-$250 too.

I bought my Tama new when I first started playing. I paid about $350 for my regular 5-piece Swingstar in 2005. However, it was on clearance.

Still though, it's not a collectible kit by any means but it can sound decent with the right heads and tuning.

Hm I was expecting more because its a 9pc not 5. Do you think 800
$ would be a fair price for the fallowing:

1980 tama swingstars metallic
Snare 14"
Double Base Drums both 22"
4 High toms 8" ,10" ,12" ,13"
2 Floor toms 16", 18"
Evans Genera G2 skins

Zildjian ZHT Fast Crash 16" and 18" brand new
Zildjian A Custom Splash 8" brand new
Sabian AA hihats 14"
Sabian Rocktagon 18"
Sabian B8 Ride 20"
Sabian Hand hammered crash 18" has a small chip a bit less then a inch but doesnt show to be cracking anymore and still has a nice sound.
Pedals are original and also have 2 trek peddles. Vic Headphones think i got them for 60$. Im moving to a smaller location so I need to sell these unfortunately but my plan is to get a electric kit.

I say split it all up. Sell the cymbals as separate instruments, and the drums as a shell pack. It's not that they're not worth what you want, it's just that people can get a new kit for what you're asking. Put yourself in the buyers shoes - what would you do? Spend $800 for drums that are 32 years old or get a new package deal for $500 (without cymbals) or less?

Your hats, Rocktagon, and maybe the HH crash might be able to fetch you at least $350. The other cymbals aren't worth anything, so maybe $100 for the rest.

I say split it all up.
+1. Majority of buyers need drums or cymbals ..... usually not both. eBay usually fetches higher prices than Craigslist. In fact, a lot of CL buyers simply lowball sellers, then flip the drums on eBay, for profit.​
The bottom line, it's the buyer that will set the price. If you ask too much, you'll either get no offers, or interested buyers will give you a lower offer.​

Hm I was expecting more because its a 9pc not 5. Do you think 800
$ would be a fair price for the fallowing:

1980 tama swingstars metallic
Snare 14"
Double Base Drums both 22"
4 High toms 8" ,10" ,12" ,13"
2 Floor toms 16", 18"
Evans Genera G2 skins

Zildjian ZHT Fast Crash 16" and 18" brand new
Zildjian A Custom Splash 8" brand new
Sabian AA hihats 14"
Sabian Rocktagon 18"
Sabian B8 Ride 20"
Sabian Hand hammered crash 18" has a small chip a bit less then a inch but doesnt show to be cracking anymore and still has a nice sound.
Pedals are original and also have 2 trek peddles. Vic Headphones think i got them for 60$. Im moving to a smaller location so I need to sell these unfortunately but my plan is to get a electric kit.

It might have been a good idea to list everything in your first post,instead of ...oh by the way.

Like I said before,Tama Swingstars are entry level drums. Your kit is around 33 years old and not desirable nor collectable.The price I estimated was for a 9 piece kit.It also dosen't matter how much you put into the package like the headphones.

Sell the cymbals seperately.Used cymbals usually sell for around 5 bucks and inch.Check Ebay COMPLETED auctions for accurate current market prices.

Steve B

The issue facing everyone who bought a entry to mid level kit in the 80's is increased competition and advanced in technology have made the quaily on entry/mid level kits go way up, while prices have not risen. Taking into account inflation, it's cheaper to buy the same kit new now than it was in 1980.

Today you can buy a brand new Sound Percussion double bass kit for $599
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sound-P...84089-i1455884.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&kpid=484089

It's not the brand name Tama is, but the quality level is about equivalent to a 1980 Swingstar.

In Tama, a brand new 8pc double kit in the Imerial star line is $1499 with hardware.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...tar-8-piece-double-bass-drum-set-with-cymbals

So figured a used one of those that would be approx $700-$800. Now a today's Imperial star is miles above in quality compared to an 80's swingstar. So $300 for a 9pc Swing star from 1980 is pretty much spot on.

Like Bo said, sell the Sabian AA hihats 14" and Sabian Rocktagon 18" and Zildjian A Custom Splash 8" separately. You'll get more for those.

Used ZHT and B8 cymbals are a dime a dozen, and a cracked cymbal might get you $20 in scrap.

Back