Anyone selling their songs on ITunes?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I was wondering if whoever put songs up for sale on ITunes...do they get the entire purchase amount? Or do you have to pay ITunes a percentage? If so, what's the percentage?

Is anyone selling enough songs where it is really supplementing their income? Or is it just dribs and drabs? I'm wondering if anyone is making any kind of living from the sale of their tunes.

We're talking about apple here, they sure as hell aren't going to let you keep all the profits. I'd be genuinely shocked if an artist got even 50%.

Yes.

Itunes takes a percentage.

CD Baby, who got the band on Itunes takes a percentage.

Every few months, I get about $20.

At this rate, in about 100 years, I'll have recouped the recording expense. LOL.

Yes.

Itunes takes a percentage.

CD Baby, who got the band on Itunes takes a percentage.

Every few months, I get about $20.

At this rate, in about 100 years, I'll have recouped the recording expense. LOL.

Yuppers, same here.

-Jonathan

My stuff is available on iTunes, and basically it totally, utterly sucks for artists- maybe partly for the nature of the contract, partly because people are buying single tracks instead of albums. The label runs my account, and I'm not that clear on it. My brother once explained to me how the math works, and it was so depressing I just blocked it out and didn't retain it.

Really. Hmm. You mean the musician....gets screwed???? HOW CAN THAT BE POSSIBLE???

My stuff is available on iTunes, and basically it totally, utterly sucks for artists- maybe partly for the nature of the contract, partly because people are buying single tracks instead of albums. The label runs my account, and I'm not that clear on it. My brother once explained to me how the math works, and it was so depressing I just blocked it out and didn't retain it.

That is the majority of the issue.

The band/artist still pay for the studio time/expense of making an entire album, but the public only buys one or two songs for the most part.

We have gone back to the 50's and early 60's mentality of bands being primary based around singles. But back in the 50's and early 60's, bands would only record one or two songs at a time, so they didn't lose out.

And now we're on Spotify. Which lets anyone listen to the material, but the chance of those pennies per listen ever actually getting back to me is next to nil. And if people can listen to it on spotify all day long, I assume they have less motivation to go to iTunes and buy it.

Well at least we get paid good to play live ;)

Well, while selling music via traditional means is difficult, I still think this would be an interesting time to be a young musician. There are so many more opportunities today. You just have to think a bit differently.

Which I covered in this thread
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78780

But at 41, I just don't think about music and money in the same sentence. It's easier that way.

I sell all my music via I tunes but I do it through cd baby. Cd baby will put your music everywhere including I tunes and I tunes Europe and so on. The percentage is small something like 7% to 9%. That really a fair shake for the artist. Cd baby will give you a home page where you can track all your sales in every outlet. Its very cool.

Now if you use a tune broker or label is doing it for you, then your getting screwed for sure. They take at least 30%, plus the itunes percentage and cd baby then it adds up. The best way to do it is on your own if you want to see any decent money.

Joe

I sell all my music via I tunes but I do it through cd baby. Cd baby will put your music everywhere including I tunes and I tunes Europe and so on. The percentage is small something like 7% to 9%. That really a fair shake for the artist. Cd baby will give you a home page where you can track all your sales in every outlet. Its very cool.

Now if you use a tune broker or label is doing it for you, then your getting screwed for sure. They take at least 30%, plus the itunes percentage and cd baby then it adds up. The best way to do it is on your own if you want to see any decent money.

Joe
Great info Joe. I was concerned about this, as I intend on releasing some stuff with my band next year. 7-9% is a fair take for the service.

Yes, CD baby is very cool.

You submit your music once, and they filter it out to dozens of different sites, including iTunes.

Back