Improving Pedal Performance

dougaha18

I have a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. double pedal that I bought a couple years ago. Recently it jus it just doesn't play and react like it used to. It moves really slow. I replaced the springs but that didn't do much good for it. I don't really have enough money to buy a new pedal so is there somthing I can do to improve its performance?

Thank you

I have a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. double pedal that I bought a couple years ago. Recently it jus it just doesn't play and react like it used to. It moves really slow. I replaced the springs but that didn't do much good for it. I don't really have enough money to buy a new pedal so is there somthing I can do to improve its performance?

Thank you

Have you ever cleaned it and oiled it? Taking apart a pedal is relatively simple. Springs will last a very long time so that is usually not the problem.

Squirt some solvent or WD-40 into a small cup not used for eating and soak the bearings in the cup. Dip a Q-tip in the solvent and wipe out bearing housings and other parts on the pedal. Look for any other moving parts and clean those too. Clean it all up with a rag and put sewing machine oil or even clean motor oil on the moving parts and wipe clean. Use WD-40 only for cleaning, not lubricating, as it will dry and carry away all your oil. Good as new!

Thank you

If you're going to remove the bearings, might as well replace them with Ninja Bearings or an even higher performance ceramic bearing.

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6849

http://www.skatelog.com/bearings/ceramic.htm

I'm surprised some IC, Power Shifter, whatever user hasn't done this mod yet, its fairly simple. If not skate, they can be found to size.

Perhaps adjustment screws loosened and the action changed? Short of breaking it, I really don't think you can wear a pedal out.

If you're going to remove the bearings, might as well replace them with Ninja Bearings or an even higher performance ceramic bearing.

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6849

http://www.skatelog.com/bearings/ceramic.htm

I'm surprised some IC, Power Shifter, whatever user hasn't done this mod yet, its fairly simple. If not skate, they can be found to size.

What is the cost/benefit on those? Certainly, these are high-performance bearings, but would it make a difference? In terms of bearings, a bass drum foot pedal is not a particularly high-performance application.

High precision bearings (ABEC rated) are in general overkill for anything not rotating at 10000+ rpm. However, it seems that high-grate, high-speed skate bearings are made with ease of rotation in mind, not just the precision, using special oil instead of grease and so on. This would make them a good choice for pedals too.
Pearl Demon Drive pedals actually come with Ninja bearings.

So, buying just any high-performance bearings wouldn't really make a difference, but buying high-end skate bearings specifically made to provide less resistance at lower rpm could make an old pedal work a lot better, especially if the old bearings are in a very poor contidion. But if one doesn't feel like dishing out the money for high-end bearings, a thorough cleaning and re-lubrication should make quite a difference too.

ok well im gonna try cleaning my bearings and see where im at. I will post a reply soon.

thanks everyone

What is the cost/benefit on those? Certainly, these are high-performance bearings, but would it make a difference? In terms of bearings, a bass drum foot pedal is not a particularly high-performance application.

Clean bearings make a difference, high performance bearings will make a noticeable difference also, just ask Pearl-Demon Drive. Pearl touts Ninja Bearings as a major selling point for that pedal.

Drum pedals would benefit from any high performance part upgrade. Do you need high performance bearings? Maybe not, but given a choice, you'd probably want them once you felt the difference.

Clean bearings make a difference, high performance bearings will make a noticeable difference also, just ask Pearl-Demon Drive. Pearl touts Ninja Bearings as a major selling point for that pedal.

Drum pedals would benefit from any high performance part upgrade. Do you need high performance bearings? Maybe not, but given a choice, you'd probably want them once you felt the difference.

so i wont be wasting any money because i have a set of high performance bearings so i'll check them out and post a reply.

Back