Subtle or showy?!

I played a gig on Saturday night. I'm quite a relaxed drummer and prefer to play with a more subtle performance when hitting drums and cymbals and try to 'enjoy' the sounds, as corny as that sounds.

However, there were a few other bands on before us, one of which the drummer took his top off (blatantly just to show off) and the other guy performed such acts as standing up (while the lead singer lay on the floor and screamed down the mic) then lay his head against his snare drum while bashing his PEARL CYMBALS to death, almost struggling to keep time!

It made me wonder how you guys prefer to play - being composed and calm or being a total maniac. I guess it depends on the genre of music you play but is there really any need for such an over-complicated elaborate mess? Maybe that's what the kids like these days, I dunno.

Sorry, bit of a rant there before the question. Opinions most welcome.

Anything goes as long as the music doesn't suffer.

I tend to be a conservative player, but that's largely a product of the kinds of gigs that have put bread on my table. If you're doing a thrash metal show, you should do it up to the hilt.

By my nature, I prefer to not be flashy. That's actually surprising, because in general in life, the more focus on me, the better. However, I am like you in that I like to hear my drums. I want the focus to be on my PLAYING, not my antics. However, in the cover band I am in, I have learned that putting on a show sells you. So, I flip sticks, twirl them, play one handed, jump when hitting certain impacts, run up to the front of the stage during quiet parts and play on mic stands or just on my sticks, crack jokes, change lyrics to be naughty...the whole thing. I never sacrifice what I play for this stuff...and I will tell you, more audience members remember me for that stuff than will ever remember me for my really clean and fast singles, or the rudiment combinations I played in my solo.

It all depends. If I had the time to practice those things, I would do humor stuff like Buddy Rich or Jojo Mayer, that's the kinda of stuff that really makes me laugh. Otherwise I think that's a bit lame, you know. That stuff of screaming, standing up or just be arrogant, I hate that, but it's just MHO, I'm sure that I think that way because my approach to music is being happy and relaxed, not angry and violent.

It all depends. If I had the time to practice those things, I would do humor stuff like Buddy Rich or Jojo Mayer, that's the kinda of stuff that really makes me laugh. Otherwise I think that's a bit lame, you know. That stuff of screaming, standing up or just be arrogant, I hate that, but it's just MHO, I'm sure that I think that way because my approach to music is being happy and relaxed, not angry and violent.

You can do stuff like stand up without being angry...in all the showmanship stuff I do, I never let myself look angry or violent. The irony is, even if I jump up to slam a cymbal and stuff, if you are really watching, you will see that the cymbal doesn't get hit too hard, the technique is still there, etc. I won't sacrifice that kind of stuff at all!

its always different for me, depends on the song. If i am playing something slow you'll see my head just bob along with the beat on the snare. If i am playing like a fast and upbeat song i will just rock my drums like not really hard but i will get flashy like stick my hands up in he air and such while i am playing. i will never take my shirt off because i am fat and i will never stand up because i would probably trip or something

it depends for me too, sometimes when im just tired after a long day, i'd just sit back and bob my head a little bit, smile every once in a while, play some really easy simple stuff, nothin flashy.

But when i have some energy and im really excited etc. im basically a different drummer. I start like dancing while im playing, i play more complex stuff, i probably play a lot harder too, but im also having a lot more fun :p.

I don't particularly like to draw attention to myself, so I don't hot dog at all. I play with

heart and conviction, always supporting. I actually could use a little hot doggery maybe I

would be more entertaining. Just another thing to work on, another entry on the list.

I like what MrChattr said, about people remembering you for the clowning over the playing.

Sheesh! That's the goal right? To get people to remember you? Why even bother learning

rudiments? I play good enough. I should now go to clown college.

The first band sounds like attention whores. They're in it for themselves so they do goofy stuff, etc.

Nothing wrong with showing off in its proper time and place, and as long as it has some relevance to the music. Otherwise, you're just being a clown, which is fine, if you want to be taken for a clown.

Keep your shirt on. People are there to hear the music not a beefcake show. Most drummers I have see should keep their shirts on anyway or hit the gym. Do not let this ridiculous fad ruin the show or your music. Be yourself.

I always prefer players who are just plain kicking a** which might come off as "showing off" to some when in reality, it's just ...what they do. Watching a Vinnie or Jojo or Bozzio etc....some might take it as 'showy'...really, they are just kicking it.

Guys that do all the visual stuff without the playing to back it are just depressing to watch to me. Reminds me of the 80's when it was all show and no go for alot of bands.

I just watched a video of a live show I played years ago and the one thing I noticed about myself is that I never looked strained while playing. I have a very relaxed, normal facial expression no matter what the song or how hard the fill. I always look that way while playing and to me it gives the impression that I know what I'm doing back there. ALSO, never own a pair of the white shorts I have on in the video....what a tool.

Keep your shirt on. People are there to hear the music not a beefcake show. Most drummers I have see should keep their shirts on anyway or hit the gym. Do not let this ridiculous fad ruin the show or your music. Be yourself.

Sometimes it's near impossible to keep your shirt on especially if the sweat is dripping off you after 1 song or whatever. I agree people who do it to show off, bah, make me sick. I like to have a good time drumming and i also like to show it even though i'm not a clown but if i'm playing a song that i can really get into, well... then i guess that showmanship is part of the enjoying yourself part rather than showing off part. Nothing wrong with enjoying ourselves i believe.

In general I agree with this, but if the drummer's shirt is off at a White Stripes or Lenny Kravitz show I won't be complaining.

I like what MrChattr said, about people remembering you for the clowning over the playing.

Sheesh! That's the goal right? To get people to remember you? Why even bother learning

rudiments? I play good enough. I should now go to clown college.

My posts always come from the perspective of a guy making a living as a professional musican, who would like to KEEP doing that. Yes, the goal is to get people to remember you. It really is. There are a million bands out there...if they remember another one more than you, good luck getting good gigs. Now, obviously, if you read any of my posts, you know that I am one of the most anal people on here about learning, practicing, etc. I constantly encourage people to learn all styles, all major techniques, multiple grips, be able to play left or right handed, open or closed, etc, and to practice as much as possible. It would be awesome if audience members, club owners, etc all remembered us for that. I would never twirl a stick again, because it isn't really how I express myself. But most don't. Bands with hot lead singers get booked over bands with comparable sound that don't. It's the entertainment industry, frankly.

I will never trade a single note, lick, or tempo in order to be flashy on stage. But to imply that you shouldn't add some showmanship to your playing is to take away an important tool for success as a professional musician like me (as opposed to a guy who made it really big, to the point where it no longer matters).

Exactly mrchattr. Really, the non musicians in the audience don't care if you nailed the tempo just right, or made that really difficult musical passage flow effortlessly, all they really care about is how much fun you are, musicianship is secondary to the entertainment quotient, to them. Not downing "them", just an observation that as entertainers, we need to understand.

Exactly mrchattr. Really, the non musicians in the audience don't care if you nailed the tempo just right, or made that really difficult musical passage flow effortlessly, all they really care about is how much fun you are, musicianship is secondary to the entertainment quotient, to them. Not downing "them", just an observation that as entertainers, we need to understand.

For the record, I don't know that there is anything that depresses me more about the industry, and that includes all the crappy venues, people trying to take your money, etc.

I don't understand why that depresses you. I am assuming that you are referring to the audiences desire for fun over musical prowness. That is just human nature, people are interested in whats in it for them, not how good you are. I totally get that and maybe one day I will translate that into my playing.

Interesting topic. With my band we've recorded a videoclip last thursday, and I drummed just as I always do, with my 'drumface' on, being concentrated on what to play. I regret this afterwards, I should have played more flashy, because that's what people want to see I think. On the other hand, the song for the clip isn't happy at all, so a serious face might just be what was needed.

Attachments

• 09072009012 (Large).jpg
    09072009012 (Large).jpg
    117 KB · Views: 204
  • 09072009015 (Large).jpg
    09072009015 (Large).jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 205
I don't understand why that depresses you. I am assuming that you are referring to the audiences desire for fun over musical prowness. That is just human nature, people are interested in whats in it for them, not how good you are. I totally get that and maybe one day I will translate that into my playing.

Well, like I said, I get it, too. I just don't like it. It makes me extremely sad to realize that most people will have no respect for great musicianship, and will always love the band that is goofy over the band that is amazing. I remember when I started soloing in front of audiences. I would use a ton of rudiments, change time signatures, all kinds of stuff. I would use space, be funky, etc. Then, at the end, I would throw in a quick double bass and multi-tom single stroke roll. That would be the part everyone went nuts for. Not all the technique, but the fast parts that require less original thought. It's frustrating as someone who wants to express themselves through music, but also be commercially successful. Maybe sad is the wrong word...but frustrated is the right one.

Back