DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Default Question about Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Hello guys (and ladies). I am strongly considering purchasing a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch shell pack with a 22' kick. I played for 25 years, stopped, and am seriously considering playing again, just for fun really. I'm a heavy hitter, not insanely heavy, but definitely a hard rock drummer (I grew up listening to guys like T Aldridge & Mikkey Dee etc). Don't get me wrong, I'm not turning 2B's over and playing with the butt end or anything, but I do hit hard. My concern is the tom stand/mount that comes standard with the kit, plus the spurs on the kick. I'm worried about the durability of the tom mount and/or bass drum creep possibility from the spurs etc. I used a Tama Rockstar Custom kit yrs ago (if anyone remembers those) for gigging purposes while in L.A. and didn't have any problems with the tom mount or spurs, so I'm thinking the Yamaha Custom will be fine since the price range and general quality of the hardware could be described as similar (mid-level), but any advice you guys might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated! I would hate to buy the Yamaha S Custom and then realize that the bass drum was creeping away, or that the tom mount was not very stable etc. Thank you in advance for your help guys.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Question about Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

The current generation SC has telescopic BD legs with a threaded rubber nub over a metal spike. On carpet, you turn the nub till the metal spike deploys and digs in. If your BD is moving on a carpet with the spikes deployed, it's fair to say you've either set the height incorrectly or have torn two half-inch gashes in the carpet.

The tom mounts feel suitably reliable for gigging.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by averageguy View Post
Hello guys (and ladies). I am strongly considering purchasing a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch shell pack with a 22' kick. I played for 25 years, stopped, and am seriously considering playing again, just for fun really. I'm a heavy hitter, not insanely heavy, but definitely a hard rock drummer (I grew up listening to guys like T Aldridge & Mikkey Dee etc). Don't get me wrong, I'm not turning 2B's over and playing with the butt end or anything, but I do hit hard. My concern is the tom stand/mount that comes standard with the kit, plus the spurs on the kick. I'm worried about the durability of the tom mount and/or bass drum creep possibility from the spurs etc. I used a Tama Rockstar Custom kit yrs ago (if anyone remembers those) for gigging purposes while in L.A. and didn't have any problems with the tom mount or spurs, so I'm thinking the Yamaha Custom will be fine since the price range and general quality of the hardware could be described as similar (mid-level), but any advice you guys might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated! I would hate to buy the Yamaha S Custom and then realize that the bass drum was creeping away, or that the tom mount was not very stable etc. Thank you in advance for your help guys.

Bass drum creep has many symptoms, I would not rely on any bass drums stock spurs to prevent creep if that's a recurring problem with you. I'd look for a strap to stool/throne arresting accessory.

YAMAHA STAGE CUSTOM birch is a short voiced, very light drum kit. I would suggest upgrading the hoops, I put S-HOOPS all around, and yes take note the 14" FT is 6 lug (S-HOOP makes a 14-6). I found out 6 lugs allows the 14 FT to be tuned lower than 14's with 8 lugs, makes you go "Hmmmmm?" Don't know if YAMAHA came to that conclusion consciously, or if they even came to that conclusion at all. Another pro upgrade is TIGHT SCREWS. The stock REMO UT heads aren't bad, they're REMOS crimp lock models from China, they do add weight to the kit tho. A 20" REMO UT crimp weighs 1.26 lbs compared to a coated AMBASSODOR weighing .75 lbs The UT has a flap like a PS3. A couple pounds is noticeable when lugging drums and hardware.

The tom mounts are right up there with the higher line stuff, no problems there, the best in the biz IMO.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

The mount on the actual toms doesn't look very rugged, with two bolts into the shell side by side. But I've never seen any problems with this failing, bending or working loose, etc.

The ball joint in the tom holder can fail if its repeatedly over-tightened. The part that fails is the three bolts that hold the chrome 'shell' together. Two answers - First, don't over tighten the wing screw at the top. Secondly, if you do break it, the ball joint section can be purchased separately if needed, at a lowish cost.

As for bass drum creep, any spurs with a spike and/or rubber tip will work the same way, no matter how chunky they look. A good thing about the new spurs is its easier to set them at the correct angle than the old ones - the angle adjustment is a hexagon shape and the legs lock into one of the sides and don't shift. I've certainly had no issues.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

I pound the heck out of my Yamaha Stage Custom set with no problems.

Bass drum creep is never a problem if you have a bass drum pedal with those adjustable spikes. Like a DW 5000 or 8000.
The pedal is where the creep starts and with spikes it's where the creep ends.
I played rock and roll on a creeping bass drum for many many years.
In my opinion, those bass drum pedal spikes are the greatest drum invention in the last century.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

My 5000 pedal has velcro on the bottom so it sticks to carpet and doesn't creep.
Unfortunately, it sticks so well that its hard to move the pedal a half inch here or there without a major effort. But it certainly doesn't creep away when I'm playing.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:59 PM

Not only do you have spikes on the BD spurs, but the Yamaha base drum pedal also has adjustable spikes with some having rubber base with grips. Between both you should not get any bass drum creep at all. The tom mounts and all mounts are pretty sturdy. I have never heard of any failures dealing with Yamaha hardware.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Pioneer Member

I agree with what others have said about the bass drum

As for the toms, yamaha has some of the best hardware out there. I play a Stage Custom at church and have played it for 8 years. I've cut loose on it numerous times during warm up, never had an issue with the mounts
Old 04-04-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Another pro upgrade is TIGHT SCREWS..
You mean tighten all the lug screws on the inside of the shell ?
Old 04-04-2016, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
You mean tighten all the lug screws on the inside of the shell ?
No, he meant replace the tension rods with these rods called "tight screws". They work good by the way.
Google "Tight Screws".

Old 04-04-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
No, he meant replace the tension rods with these rods called "tight screws". They work good by the way.
Google "Tight Screws".

Yes, they work good but I wouldn't recommend "upgrading" a drum that doesn't have problems with detuning. I have the tight screws on one of my current snares (and should probably add them to another), but I have never needed them for Yamaha toms (though for an old Tama Superstar kit).

The problem, and why I don't recommend just swapping all your tension rods is that they make it impossible to find a course tuning just by feel. I usually get pretty close by just feeling the torque when tuning up and can then fine-tune by tapping. Not so with the screws installed.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

You don't need new tension rods, just get these from http://sleevedwashers.com/, it's cheaper, been using them on my Stage Custom (old and new) for years:

Old 04-08-2016, 05:48 AM

Never had an issue with yamaha tension rods loosening and detuning. A lot of detuning is contributed to head stretch.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

I have these drums in natural finish. They're new, had them about 5 weeks. The 14" floor tom is 8 lug, not 6. The tom mount is about as good and versatile as you'll find and includes a handy third hole just right for a short splash cymbal boom which I have installed. The kick does not move "at all" with the spikes. If it moves, you're probably exploding through some kick drum heads every so often.

True, the stock Remo UT heads are not that bad. Although will eventually change them, they sound okay with a little gel and tweaking. A strip of felt stretched taped to the reso head of the floor tom is also the ticket. 2" x 10" is perfect and offset to the side slightly. 39 cents at the craft store for a big piece.

Overall, these are extremely well made and the best bang for the buck. They look and sound great. Plus the $$$ I saved choosing these shells made it easy to digest blowing $2,000+ on nice hardware and great cymbals.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
I have these drums in natural finish. They're new, had them about 5 weeks. The 14" floor tom is 8 lug, not 6.
YAMAHA SBF1413 is 6 lug

Would like to see a pic of yours with 8
Old 04-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
YAMAHA SBF1413 is 6 lug

Would like to see a pic of yours with 8
My bad....too quick to reply, mine is a 16x15 with 8 lugs. I don't remember seeing a stage custom sold as a kit with a 14x13 floor tom? Although now that I know a 14x13 tom is available, I just ordered one. WTF, its only $149 and its in stock in my color.

Last edited by MoreBeer; 04-09-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:45 PM

Bought a 5pc kit for my son. YSCB (2009-2013 Silver Badges) for $360 used at GC. Came with a speedking in great shape, no squeelin. Raven Black (Green). I bought a 2nd bass drum for $140 Used on CL. Add a set of Paiste PST7. Kit sounds great.
(2) 22x18 Bass Drums
10x7 & 12x8 Rack Toms
16x15 Floor
14x5 Matching Snare Birch
Paiste PST7 Cymbals (Heavy)
14" Hi-Hat
16" Crash
18" Crash
20" Ride
I have creep using the rubber side, On Linoleum currently. I have to buy a 8'x6' scrap piece of carpet
Old 04-09-2016, 08:26 PM

If you set up on carpet or a rug (as you always should) and set the spurs correctly, you will get zero creep. And the tom mounts are rock solid; Yamaha makes the best hardware in the business. But if you are a hard hitter as you say, then I'd seriously consider upgrading the stock 1.6mm hoops, especially on the snare. You can get 2.3mm Gibraltar hoops or S-Hoops, both are high quality and reasonably priced. I'd recommend replacing all the hoops top and bottom, but do at least the tops if nothing else.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
You don't need new tension rods, just get these from http://sleevedwashers.com/, it's cheaper, been using them on my Stage Custom (old and new) for years:

Have these on both my kits :)
Old 04-09-2016, 10:45 PM
averageguy
This message has been deleted by averageguy.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:50 PM

Thanks for all of your replies and help guys. I'm feeling pretty confident now about this potential purchase. As I stated, I'm not a ridiculously heavy hitter, but I do play hard. My best guess is that my power ratio is akin to someone like Alex Van Halen when he was in his prime, although I was never really a big fan of his (no intended disrespect to him or his fans). I think the Stage Custom would hold up fine for me based on what you guys have said.

If you have any other thoughts about the new Stage Customs I would love to hear them, and again, many thanks for your help so far.

P.S. I definitely will change the stock heads on the kit. That's something I always do. Plus a DW 9000 double pedal, and definitely a drum rug/carpet. Thanks again guys. Sincerely.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My bad....too quick to reply, mine is a 16x15 with 8 lugs. I don't remember seeing a stage custom sold as a kit with a 14x13 floor tom? Although now that I know a 14x13 tom is available, I just ordered one. WTF, its only $149 and its in stock in my color.

The 20" bass drum kit has a 14" FT

YAMAHA SBP0F5
Old 04-10-2016, 01:05 AM

Quote:
The 20" kick version has the 14x13 floor tom. It's 20x17, 10x7, 12x9, 14x13.

edit: didn't realize Les beat me to the post.

I love mine. I'm currently on my 2nd Stage Custom kit after selling mine last year. I traded for my current ones about 3 months ago, and they had a set of EC2s on all the toms, but the stock PS3 knockoff on the kick. I tried a Powerstroke Pro, which I really like, on the kick. And put my personal preference, White Suede Emperors, on all the toms. Love the sound. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the slightest if you pick these up.
Agop/Dream
Old 04-10-2016, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by averageguy View Post
Thanks for all of your replies and help guys. I'm feeling pretty confident now about this potential purchase....
Go for it. They're very popular drums for a lot of good reasons.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Go for it. They're very popular drums for a lot of good reasons.
They're so popular, some of the colors aren't available until June or July. The natural wood isn't available until July at some point. So when I found that smaller 14" floor tom in stock, I snapped it up pronto. That'll be a nice addition to the 16".

Edit: In fact, I got the last one. Found it on Musicians Friend and ordered yesterday, got tracking number today on shipping. Just for the heck of it, went to their site and its no longer in stock.

Last edited by MoreBeer; 04-10-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrivarna View Post
Yes, they work good but I wouldn't recommend "upgrading" a drum that doesn't have problems with detuning. I have the tight screws on one of my current snares (and should probably add them to another), but I have never needed them for Yamaha toms (though for an old Tama Superstar kit).

The problem, and why I don't recommend just swapping all your tension rods is that they make it impossible to find a course tuning just by feel. I usually get pretty close by just feeling the torque when tuning up and can then fine-tune by tapping. Not so with the screws installed.
Do the Stage Customs have tight screws fitted as standard or do the tension rods turn loosely?

I agree, btw.. I can easily tune a drum by feeling the tension, but with tight screws this is impossible.

(The Yamaha Maple Custom kits I've tried have had tight screws fitted as standard - not the ones with the rubber inserts afaik, but just a slightly bigger width so they don't turn loosely)..
Old 05-25-2016, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
The mount on the actual toms doesn't look very rugged, with two bolts into the shell side by side. But I've never seen any problems with this failing, bending or working loose, etc.

The ball joint in the tom holder can fail if its repeatedly over-tightened. The part that fails is the three bolts that hold the chrome 'shell' together. Two answers - First, don't over tighten the wing screw at the top. Secondly, if you do break it, the ball joint section can be purchased separately if needed, at a lowish cost.

As for bass drum creep, any spurs with a spike and/or rubber tip will work the same way, no matter how chunky they look. A good thing about the new spurs is its easier to set them at the correct angle than the old ones - the angle adjustment is a hexagon shape and the legs lock into one of the sides and don't shift. I've certainly had no issues.
Not sure what you mean by the old bass drum spurs. The other spurs could not be more easy. The angle is set permanently there is no angle adjustment just height and spike exposure. In fact what you call the old ones are used on the higher end sets today. The lower end sets use the ones you are describing, and are not as beefy. Never saw a ball joint fail, or any mount!
Old 05-25-2016, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmac View Post
Not sure what you mean by the old bass drum spurs. The other spurs could not be more easy. The angle is set permanently there is no angle adjustment just height and spike exposure. In fact what you call the old ones are used on the higher end sets today. The lower end sets use the ones you are describing, and are not as beefy. Never saw a ball joint fail, or any mount!
The school where I teach music has five Stage Custom kits from different eras. The older ones have bass drum spurs which can rotate to any angle, with a couple of lines etched into the joint to show the correct spot. These sometimes slip so that one leg points higher than the other. The newer ones don't have this problem.

I've had to replace four ball joints lately, due to the two outer parts bending apart under the strain. Mind you one of these kits is 20 years old...
Old 05-26-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
The school where I teach music has five Stage Custom kits from different eras. The older ones have bass drum spurs which can rotate to any angle, with a couple of lines etched into the joint to show the correct spot. These sometimes slip so that one leg points higher than the other. The newer ones don't have this problem.

I've had to replace four ball joints lately, due to the two outer parts bending apart under the strain. Mind you one of these kits is 20 years old...
Go back a few more years and look at the the old stage series drums.
As I said the ones I described are used on higher end kits, the ones you describe are on lower end kits.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:

I heave an 8000 series set, bought back in the early 80s, the mounting hardware is impeccable. Never a failure.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmac View Post
Ah the kit identified in that post is built in the same factory! You read all the posts?
Not it's NOT built in the same factory. That Stage Custom is built by another company.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Speaking of Stage Custom Birch, anyone interested in a mint 2016 model in natural Finish (22, 16, 12, & 10)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131824204821...84.m1555.l2649

PM me if interested.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
Speaking of Stage Custom Birch, anyone interested in a mint 2016 model in natural Finish (22, 16, 12, & 10)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131824204821...84.m1555.l2649

PM me if interested.

Wow - that was quick. Are you getting something else?

Good deal for someone on that like-new kit, I think.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:28 PM

I have a set of SCB silver badges (22x15). & a set of Pearl Visions (24x18). Both have double bass. The SCB is set up on the linoleum floor & has bad creep. I set up the pearl set on a nice thick 10'x8' carpet from HD. Has no creep with the rubber on the carpet. I don't even need the spike. Make sure it is a plush carpet. The weight of the bass drums will sink the bass feet & hold it in place.