DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:59 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Now I've gone and done it...

Just kiddin Bo! Offer still stands lol.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Is this new avatar ok with you, Larry?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Is this new avatar ok with you, Larry?
not Larry - but it works for me.

of course you'll need to keep your posts to no more than one sentence, I can't seem to concentrate on what you've written... :P
Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 AM
"Uncle Larry"

At this point it doesn't matter because I have the first pic on my desktop. It's just such a great picture, her expression is just so.....I so just want to.....

The new avatar is her too right? Recent shot? I envy you brother....
Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, it's her. I lifted it off her FB page. She is enviable because she can do different looks depending on her hair and clothes. She could almost be a spy.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Clearly Larry likes 'em vivacious. Maybe vivacious cleavage ...

Bo, how about a Rhythm Traveler? Less cost, less lugging and it really keeps you humble :)
Old 08-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Clearly Larry likes 'em vivacious. Maybe vivacious cleavage ...

Bo, how about a Rhythm Traveler? Less cost, less lugging and it really keeps you humble :)
That she is. Maybe too much. It's ok so long as she remains a real person - god, you get enough of the brain-dead 'look-at-me' chicks out here in SoCal as it is....

But the Rhythm Traveler is out. Already got the new drums - should see 'em next week. The lugging isn't as bad these days, I really have moving smaller drumkits around down to a science. I've met humble drummers before and that's really not me. I tend to approach the gig the same way a fighter pilot thinks: I'm the best one for it. But the arrogance ends there. I've met drummers who are so humble they play it safe all night. For some reason when I see that, I feel ripped off!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 AM

The only problem with those avatars is that I'm getting a little hot under the collar while sat at work, it's not good to get all huffy and puffy and then have to make changes on a corporate firewall!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
A few decades ago an alcoholic bassist with some teesy mental health issues told me that his powers were such that he could snap his fingers and a city in China would explode. I must have similar gifts ... all I have to do is snap my fingers and Bo starts thinking about his avatar and misses and change, and DED drops a stick in a crucial passage ...
The question is why on that one gig in 1998 were you so mad at me that you snapped your fingers several times in a row when you didn't know me yet??? :-P
Old 08-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've met drummers who are so humble they play it safe all night. For some reason when I see that, I feel ripped off!
Welcome to my world, Bo. I'm the same with tennis. I never know when to attack and when to defend - when I attack I make too many errors but when I defend I let a lot of opportunities slip by.

Originally Posted by Pollyanna
A few decades ago an alcoholic bassist with some teesy mental health issues told me that his powers were such that he could snap his fingers and a city in China would explode. I must have similar gifts ... all I have to do is snap my fingers and Bo starts thinking about his avatar and misses and change, and DED drops a stick in a crucial passage ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
The question is why on that one gig in 1998 were you so mad at me that you snapped your fingers several times in a row when you didn't know me yet??? :-P
Sorry about that, DED, it sounds like a rough gig. Dunno what happened ... something just snapped (ahem). The karma finally came back to me though, I lost my mojo at rehearsal last night. And it wasn't under the cushions on the sofa either.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I just have one question Bo...

Are they real?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:47 PM

If you are getting tired of a set of drums, you can always re-tune them. These Cadeson drums were stacked up in the corner for months before I re-tuned them for this percussion gig !! They sound like completely different drums now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HUl36ac0dY

Dan
Old 08-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

I think that there should be a site like Net Flix for drummers.
You pay a membership fee like Net Flix and you go on line and select your kit.
They send it to you, When you get tired of it, You select another kit, When the new one arrives you ship back the old one.
As long as you pay your fee, you can keep a kit for as long as you like.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I think that there should be a site like Net Flix for drummers.
You pay a membership fee like Net Flix and you go on line and select your kit.
They send it to you, When you get tired of it, You select another kit, When the new one arrives you ship back the old one.
As long as you pay your fee, you can keep a kit for as long as you like.
What a great idea. The snare drum collective. Or the ride cymbal consortium.

I can only imagine what guitarists would do with such a thing. I know folks who flip guitars and amps within weeks of getting them. And stomp boxes...
Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
What a great idea. The snare drum collective. Or the ride cymbal consortium.

I can only imagine what guitarists would do with such a thing. I know folks who flip guitars and amps within weeks of getting them. And stomp boxes...
I think that we are onto something here.
I like the snare and cymbal idea. They are not expensive to ship.
One could try every cymbal and snare that is made and if you like it you could buy it used or new.
Pedals too!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
One could try every cymbal and snare that is made and if you like it you could buy it used or new.
Pedals too!
Yeah. Good luck with that one.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah. Good luck with that one.
Hey, they laughed at the guy that formed Net Flix and also the founder of FedEx got a D on his term paper where he described the outline for his company.
There are a lot of rough edges, But it wouldn't be impossible.
Oh Yea, The guy that invented Container Shipping in the 60s was thrown out of banks where he proposed his idea.
Ever hear of Sealand?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Pedals too!
If you need an inventory - I'd start with Wy's snare drum collection and Bermuda's cymbal collection.

That would cover pretty much everything anybody could ever want.

It might be a little tricky convincing them to do it :)
Old 08-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw60 View Post
If you need an inventory - I'd start with Wy's snare drum collection and Bermuda's cymbal collection.

That would cover pretty much everything anybody could ever want.

It might be a little tricky convincing them to do it :)
That would be a weird thing that would have to be worked out.
In order to obtain inventory, massive stocks of snares and cymbals would have to be acquired from various sources.
You would have to take in enough cash to account for loss and damage, etc.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to bring back this thread. I didn't want to start another one when we're still talking about my new drums.

Anyway, the drums are here and they're great. I'm planning on posting a few pictures of the kit once the snare drum arrives hopefully on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday here in the States).

I've been collecting needed hardware for this kit and I was planning on just getting a couple of Tama cymbal stands to bolt the tom mounts to and using some hardware that I already had for the rest of the kit, but in my fashion of just "going for it", I wandered into a Sam Ash yesterday just looking around (I never buy from Sam Ash, they never seem to want to deal on anything) and spotted these Pearl 900-series boom cymbal stands.

What was really cool about 'em was the huge rubber feet! I don't think I've ever seen bigger rubber feet. It was like looking at a person wearing bell bottom jeans!

They weren't incredibly heavy like the DW stuff, and they just made the Tama RoadPro stuff look a little anemic in comparison. So I simply told the salesman, "I have 15 minutes - I'll buy two of these if you can get close to what I see them for on the internet". A complete lie, but sure enough, he got on the phone to his manager and they made me a deal. My jaw almost dropped to the floor.

Now, looking at the kit set-up in all it's glory for the first time (sans snare drum) those huge rubber feet are a really nice addition! It really completes the look, I think. So now I might as well go all the way and get the matching hi-hat stand and snare stand. Gotta have the big feet on everything!

I know, the big feet won't make 'em sound any better. Won't make me play any better. They just look so cool. After I raved about the feet to my wife, she said "doesn't take much, does it?"

Anyhoo - pics are coming when I get the snare. I'm arranging some model time for one of the girls to pose with 'em, and we'll probably do it as a video...she can play 'em....
Old 09-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I know, the big feet won't make 'em sound any better. Won't make me play any better. They just look so cool. After I raved about the feet to my wife, she said "doesn't take much, does it?"

Anyhoo - pics are coming when I get the snare. I'm arranging some model time for one of the girls to pose with 'em, and we'll probably do it as a video...she can play 'em....
You just know how much your wife's right on the money, lol!

"She can play 'em"? Are we still talking about a multi interest video shoot? Larry's getting revved up already!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:37 PM
audiotech

If you're talking about the Pearl BC-900 stands, they're a quality product. I use them on my vintage set and never had any isuessue with them. The Uni-Lock tilter works great.

Dennis
Old 09-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Tech, is your bass drum backward. The legs appear closer to the batter head,..
Old 09-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If you're talking about the Pearl BC-900 stands, they're a quality product. I use them on my vintage set and never had any isuessue with them. The Uni-Lock tilter works great.

Dennis
See what I mean? Bell bottoms!

And looking at your old reel-to-reel decks - how do find tape for 'em? I'd a stuck with reel-to-reel if you could find tape! I live near Los Angeles and no one sells it! They've all gone ProTools out here! Grrr....
Old 09-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

OK. I couldn't resist. I took a preliminary shot of the new kit after spending a couple of hours getting the cymbal stands with the toms and cymbals mounted quite right. This is pretty much it here. Ignore the white snare in the picture - I'm awaiting the arrival of a 1982 Tama Mastercraft 6.5x14 steel snare - I always thought those snares rocked! You can't really see the hi-hat and snare stand which is good since those will be replaced soon.

Sizes are 18x20 bass, 6.5x10, 7x12 rack toms, and a 15x16 floor tom. Gun metal gray finish without that gold stripe in the middle (this was a custom order) Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elites. The deep red you see inside the hoops is the African Rosewood - imagine seeing that inside each shell. Absolutely awesome fit and finish. I'm still going to do proper photos, but this is what the big hubbub has been about.

It's nice to have these short toms. Being a small guy, everything fits just right now - I've never experienced this before! Enjoy...
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2010, 06:38 AM
audiotech

They're lookin' great Bo. Enjoy.

Dennis
Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
They're lookin' great Bo. Enjoy.

Dennis
The Kit or the avatar? Both of course.

Bo is competing now with GD and Poll - looking forward...

Bernhard
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
OK. I couldn't resist. I took a preliminary shot of the new kit after spending a couple of hours getting the cymbal stands with the toms and cymbals mounted quite right. This is pretty much it here. Ignore the white snare in the picture - I'm awaiting the arrival of a 1982 Tama Mastercraft 6.5x14 steel snare - I always thought those snares rocked! You can't really see the hi-hat and snare stand which is good since those will be replaced soon.

Sizes are 18x20 bass, 6.5x10, 7x12 rack toms, and a 15x16 floor tom. Gun metal gray finish without that gold stripe in the middle (this was a custom order) Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elites. The deep red you see inside the hoops is the African Rosewood - imagine seeing that inside each shell. Absolutely awesome fit and finish. I'm still going to do proper photos, but this is what the big hubbub has been about.

It's nice to have these short toms. Being a small guy, everything fits just right now - I've never experienced this before! Enjoy...
Looking good Bo. I especially like the shell colour. I'm very interested to hear a recording of those short toms. The placement possibilities are great, but I've always been a bit guarded on the sound. Happy for you to dispell my concerns on that. Keep us updated, & enjoy your new baby!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Looking good Bo. I especially like the shell colour. I'm very interested to hear a recording of those short toms. The placement possibilities are great, but I've always been a bit guarded on the sound. Happy for you to dispell my concerns on that. Keep us updated, & enjoy your new baby!
New video recordings will happen when the new snare gets here. But if anything, I've got to do better photos with my proper cameras. Using a cheap point and shoot kinda' looks distorted at the wide angle setting. The drums look a bit skewed. Dammit.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Really dig that kit Bo! I like that the drums don't have that stripe (inlay) down the middle. I'll be interested in hearing this kit on your vids.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Really dig that kit Bo! I like that the drums don't have that stripe (inlay) down the middle. I'll be interested in hearing this kit on your vids.
Yeah, I went to the Tama site and they seem big on this "stripe around the drums" look. I get the abalone inlay around an acoustic guitar's sound hole, but it doesn't do anything for me on a drum. I'm not sure what those Tama heads are thinkin' regarding that!

Lose the Stripes! They might just sell more of them!