DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:13 PM

Default What to practice without drums

So I've just started going to college, and since I'm at least 2 hours from home I can't practice drums as frequently as I used to...and to be honest, I haven't even touched a drumset for a little over two weeks. So I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what/how to practice when you're away from your kit. I've heard practicing on a practice pad is helpful, but the one I have now is too loud (it's the standard remo practice pad) so I was also wondering if you guys could recommend a quieter one with realistic rebound...
Old 09-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What to practice without drums

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...Pad?sku=445396 and possibly http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...Pad?sku=446025. Add a snare stand, throne and pedal and you've got a very basic and compact practice kit.

That's the basis of my set up at home mate. I've added a couple more pads as mock toms/cymbals so I can separate my hands. Not quite a kit, but it gets the job done.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...Pad?sku=445396 and possibly http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...Pad?sku=446025. Add a snare stand, throne and pedal and you've got a very basic and compact practice kit.

That's the basis of my set up at home mate. I've added a couple more pads as mock toms/cymbals so I can separate my hands. Not quite a kit, but it gets the job done.
Do you have any things you practice when you're not at your kit?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Clapping fingers in palm of hands. While sit, clapping your hands (rudiments) on your upper legs while incorporation feet, practice RH - LH - RF triplet back & forth with reverse limbs.
Do rudiments or ostinatos with your feet. ETC...

Plenty of exercise exist, just think of it...

My Kit Latest Update
Old 09-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaramsfan View Post
Do you have any things you practice when you're not at your kit?
Heaps......with my little set up, I can practice pretty much anything I would play on a kit. From straight rudiment practice with hands and feet, to beats and rhythms, timing, fills, you name it.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Here's a video you might find useful, from Spikedrummer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgWDOSkbVhw

Also, for quiet practice pads, I recommend this one:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...Pad?sku=445396

It's got a quiet bouncy side, and then a louder side that's used for endurance and speed.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Here's what I use if we're talking Pad. I can bring it everywhere and it's pretty quiet too.

Gibraltar Knee Pad

My Kit Latest Update
Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM

I actually just ordered a roland rmp-5 rhythm coach. It will probably be there when I get home today. Im very excited to test it out.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 PM

Dude,

Drumsticks+ Chair + table + 2 phonebooks. 1 book to be your hi-hat ; 1 book to be your snare

Tap your foot on an imaginary pedal.

You're in college...you can't have much money.

It's totally free and playing on a phonebook will really work the wrists so when you get back to your kit at home you'll have much faster rolls.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

When I don't have my kit I practice piano ;)
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 AM

I second the piano. Over a decade ago I read a Modern Drummer interview with someone (Omar Hakim maybe?) and he made the quote, "The more I play piano, the more I learn about drums, and the more I play the drums, the more I learn about piano." Food for thought.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Make that three for piano.

spleen
Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 AM

DW makes a "smart" practice pad kit, its compact,adjustable,and pretty quiet.And about 130 dollars.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 AM
"Uncle Larry"

You can practice 4 way coordination wherever you are by tapping 4 different ostinatos. Plus mental practice is almost as good as real practice.
You can practice reading. Or if there's a certain song you want to learn, just listening, transcribing, and dissecting the song is very beneficial.
There's exercises you can do with drumsticks silently in mid air that are beneficial to your hands...

A sizeable portion of drumming is mental. Work that "muscle".
I love getting on the kit after an absence. Feels sooo good.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Rebel

Practise rudiments (singles, doubles, paraddidles) on a pillow, it's an excellent excercise and will improve your stick control.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Plenty of good replies here and I'll state for the record that I'm not disputing anything that's been suggested. But I do have a serious question......I'm NOT trying to be a smart arse here, so I hope you guys take it for what it is.......

But, rather than "learn a new instrument (i.e piano)" or "air drum" or "tap on the floor with your feet" or "mental practice" or "play on a pillow"......what is wrong with a good old fashioned practice pad and a pair of sticks?

Again, my intentions are not to offend anyone, but I am genuinely interested in the approach behind some of these suggestions. :-)
Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 PM

I practice rudiments and reading exercises on the counter at work with my fingers. If I'm sitting down I do rhythm exercises with my feet playing heel down, mimicking a hihat and kick with my left and right foot respectively.
It's great for nutting out complicated things because you focus more on what you're doing rather than the sound of a drum.

As far as pads go, I use a Vater pad that has two surfaces. The softer surface is relatively quiet and I also practice rudiments on that. You can work effectively on control and technique on a pad.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaramsfan View Post
So I've just started going to college, and since I'm at least 2 hours from home I can't practice drums as frequently as I used to...and to be honest, I haven't even touched a drumset for a little over two weeks. So I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what/how to practice when you're away from your kit. I've heard practicing on a practice pad is helpful, but the one I have now is too loud (it's the standard remo practice pad) so I was also wondering if you guys could recommend a quieter one with realistic rebound...
Well, in order of preference to actually playing/practicing on an acoustic kit, I'd say:

(1) using an acoustic kit with pads on the drums and cymbals,
(2) using an electronic kit,
(3) using a practice pad kit,
(4) using just one practice pad,
(5) using drumsticks on something else in lieu of a practice pad, like a bed or a softer chair (you could layer towels on something like a chair or table, too), (I'm mentioning softer things with the idea that (4) would be skipped because it would be too loud--otherwise, (4) is the better option)
(6) just moving your hands and feet as if you're playing while visualizing playing an acoustic kit at the same time,
(7) just visualizing playing an acoustic kit while very slightly moving your muscles--so that, unlike (6), others wouldn't notice your movements (which can be annoying to some folks if you do this a lot), but you can feel them.

(6) I would recommend doing in conjunction with (4) or (5) if (4) or (5) are the best you can do on the list.

(5) is something it's good to do periodically anyway, as the lack of rebound will make your hands/arms much stronger and faster; make sure you practice things like double stroke rolls this way.

The visualization thing doesn't seem to be so easy for everyone, and (6) and (7) may only be useful if you've been playing a lot for a long period of time. I can work out things that I couldn't play before via (7) and then be able to play them as if I'd been practicing them when I sit down to a kit, but I've been playing drums for over 35 years.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:49 PM

Plenty o' good suggestions here.

Personally, when I was in your situation I just got a Real Feel pad and got stuck into some rudiments. That alone got me through almost a year without playing regularly on a kit.

If you're looking for more than the standard 40 rudiments I'd get the Stick Control book.