Do you like modern rock / punk drummers?

Re: Do you liek modern rock / punk drummers?

That's not Punk ;)

Played punk all of my life in British bands such as The Varukers (14 years) Sick on the Bus, Disorder to name but a few. Proper punk :) Now playing for a Punk band called The Vile

If you like modern drums, check this out let me know what you think!!

You play with a lot of energy and look like you're enjoying yourself. Hold on to that. Fuck the punk police.

Last edited by a moderator:

I like the energy and all that.. and you look like you enjoy it which is all that really matters...

And while i generally hate the crusty old gutter punks that think anything past 78 is just fake..

The guy above is right.. you should never call that punk.. if anything it sounds like 90's alternative (to me.. i personally hate that stuff.. but if it has to be labelled) :)

Main thing is have fun...

I like the energy and all that.. and you look like you enjoy it which is all that really matters...

And while i generally hate the crusty old gutter punks that think anything past 78 is just fake..

The guy above is right.. you should never call that punk.. if anything it sounds like 90's alternative (to me.. i personally hate that stuff.. but if it has to be labelled) :)

Little late for 90s alternative. I would consider 90s alternative to encompass bands like Live, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cranberries, etc. Yellowcard was part of that Blink 182-style wave of bands that came a bit later. (Sorry, musically over-defensive child of the 90s here.)

Chiming in as well - probably better to not label it as punk: among other things folks who don't like punk might not watch your video and folks who do like punk (like myself) will watch it and think it's not really punk. Your first description of "modern rock" is probably the most accurate. Not dissing your playing at all, and not being the "punk police" here - just speaking up as someone who's been listening to and playing punk since I was 11 years old (forty bleeding nine now mate!).

Little late for 90s alternative. I would consider 90s alternative to encompass bands like Live, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cranberries, etc. Yellowcard was part of that Blink 182-style wave of bands that came a bit later. (Sorry, musically over-defensive child of the 90s here.)

Agreed, this is not 90s alternative, this is going to be either pop-punk or one of its sub-genres. My guess is emo pop, which started in the early 2000s and inlcudes bands like Jawbreaker, My Chemical Romance, Yellowcard, et cetera.

Agreed, this is not 90s alternative, this is going to be either pop-punk or one of its sub-genres. My guess is emo pop, which started in the early 2000s and inlcudes bands like Jawbreaker, My Chemical Romance, Yellowcard, et cetera.

Oh, I wouldn't put Jawbreaker with that bunch - they started out playing all the regular punk venues, were on independent labels until the last few records, and Blake's voice sure wasn't in the realm of that overproduced, over compressed radio friendly "emo pop" sound like Yellowcard. Blake sang like he had nodules on his vocal chords (it ended up he did - they came to play in Dublin and had to play instrumentally as he was having surgery the next day to remove them!) I would however put Green Day in that category, who despite being signed to an independent label in the beginning, and despite playing punk venues like Gilman St, always had that sickly sweet pop vocal sound, not my cup of tea at all. They did probably influence all that radio friendly "pop punk/emo pop" stuff that came after them.

Last edited:

Clem Burke and Stewart Copland were once considered punk,so yeah.
If you're looking for style over substance ,maybe not so much.

Nice, but one thing I would not call it is "Modern". Very Blink182, the song, and the drumming is down the line rock.

Well this post is getting ridiculous.. bands such as Yellowcard were absolutely considered "punk" or "pop punk" in their era.... I was in that scene and playing in similar bands in the early 2000's. All those Warped Tour bands were punk rock. Just cause one person's definition is different doesn't mean that wasn't considered punk. It was absolutely not 90's alternative since it was released in 2003.
Back to the real purpose of the thread. It was good playing. I have played this song 1000 times and enjoyed watching you play it.

Here's a blurb I found online:

"Yellowcard is an American pop punk/alternative rock band formed in Jacksonville, Florida, in 1997 and based in Los Angeles since 2000. Their music features the use of a violin"

Violin? From the images that turn up when you google them they look like a bunch of jocks to me.

Well I appreciate the video I can't help but think that if you keep playing like that and you're going to injure yourself at some point, some very ridged movements, especially on the fills.

Can't be good on your joints long term.

It kills me to hear music like that called "Punk".

But... these days, anything with a (mildly) distorted guitar is called "Punk" by the youngsters.

And when I use a word, it means exactly what I intend it to mean. By the same logic, "Punk" is defined by common usage of the word, not what I consider "Punk".

Good playing. As for technique, you want to pay attention if you start feeling any pain, but many people have become very good drummers using a rather bashing technique. Another Canadian, Neil Peart, comes to mind. But then again, didn't he develop tendonitis?

I thought the Punk Gestapo only hang around Facebook. I see they are alive and kicking here as well.

There is nothing on this earth less 'Punk' than someone telling another person that they are not 'punk' or their music is not 'punk' due to the fact they, or the music, does not fit into their narrow minded view of the genre. But I wouldn't expect any members of the Punk Gestapo to 'get' that.

The drumming was ace. Really ace. I loved it.

And the music was definitely punk rock music. Punk rock is a very wide church with a very large congregation, something else that The Gestapo simply fail to understand.

It's New Wave/alternative Punk Rock

Last edited:

I dont listen to punk, so I cant rattle off proper punk band names to define the genre, but what I heard was a Green Day ballad in that video. Is Green Day punk? Ehh... Its a bit too radio play and poppy to be punk I would think.

That's not Punk ;)

Played punk all of my life in British bands such as The Varukers (14 years) Sick on the Bus, Disorder to name but a few. Proper punk :) Now playing for a Punk band called The Vile

Were The Undertones punk rock ??

What about The Clash ??

UK Subs ??

None of those bands in their halcyon days sounded much like what you consider punk...but you take that up with Charlie Harper next time you see him at Rebellion huh

:)

Back