easy way to record drums?

beatsMcGee

Pioneer Member
so i am looking for a simple cheap way to record drum ideas on the fly so I can send them to my band mates. If i had an iphone I would use that because they can handle live music pretty decently, but my cell is horrible at picking up loud music so I am forced to find another way.

I considered buying one of those protable recorders with condenser mics built in but they are around 100-200 bucks. any ideas for a cheaper way?

I think those little portables are great. If you have a computer handy, then a USB mic works pretty well, too. Audacity is free software for recording that allows you to make edits and mp3s that you can email to bandmates.

There may be easier ways, but that's what I've been doing.

I would either use a USB microphone or a camera. The quality won't be superb, but it'll get the job done. You can find them for around 20-40 dollars for a cheaper one.

I have the Zoom H2 sd flash card audio recorder and once I got past the price, I found I use it for all kinds of things that justify my owning it. I can throw it up to record myself, or I can use it as my two-track mixdown deck if I'm doing that. I've found that having it plugged in to record the line out from my computer means I can do an analog recording of my favorite tunes off the internet, but since it's digital I can immediately dump that into my iTunes for usage on my iPod if I'm learning a bunch of songs. I realize you want to save as much money as possible, but sometimes a device just has to be made a priority especially if you're a musician. These little recorders are very useful tools. And this Zoom is actually the cheapest of the lot, the price goes up for other brands.

Agree with Bo.

If sound quality doesn't matter much for the time being: I used to record band rehearsals directly into my MacBook Pro - using the internal microphone. Pretty impressive sound, IMHO, and no extra cost. (If you're on Apple, you could record with GarageBand, export to MP3 format from the same app, then email to your bandmates.)

But the sound quality of the Zoom devices: wow! Well worth the money. (You could also use it to record rehearsals, gigs, etc.)

Patrice

I use my Zoom H1 to record my playing and band rehearsals. It's also useful for recording lectures and meetings thanks to MP3 compression and auto-level. H1 is the cheapest of Zoom Handy recorders - just 100 euros. Since you live in the USA, it's probably much cheaper there.

I gotta agree with the others, Handy Recders are amazing mics. I've got several H2s and they're fantastic for the price.

If you don't want to buy a zoom then Samson makes a great usb mic that plugs right into your computer for about $100.
Just set volume level and record.
Simple to use. I use free Quicktime software for one button recording.

Another vote for the Zoom H2. It captures a pretty clear sound and it's more convenient than lugging around a laptop and mic - at least the way I operate. Things are so advanced now - sure beats recording band practices on some crappy little cassette player like we did in the 70s!

Sadly, my H2 is on the way out - the disk is getting bad sectors. I think it was damaged by the virus that killed my last PC. I guess digital has its issues too.

When I have to replace it I'm thinking about the Q3 - looks like fun
http://www.finalrune.com/unboxing-the-zoom-q3-review-to-follow/

Just seen this thread and a friend asked me yesterday if I know of anything and I mentioned the Zoom products.
Has anyone heard the difference between say the H1, 2 & 4, is the quality similar and is it just the functionality that's different or is there a big difference in sound quality ????

Sadly, my H2 is on the way out - the disk is getting bad sectors. I think it was damaged by the virus that killed my last PC. I guess digital has its issues too.

"The disk is getting bad sectors"?
Do you mean there's a problem with the storage card?
In that case: simply replace it.

If you do buy the Q3, make sure it's the HD model.
Much better image quality. (I did a bit of research
before purchasing it.)

BTW: the Q3(HD) does unfortunately *not* record the
audio in WAV quality.

Patrice

thanks for all the ideas guys!

I do have a mac but I dont want to hual my laptop around with me to band practice, so the USB mic wouldnt work for now, unless it can fit into a mini USB input on my HTC Evo???

I might just have to bite the bullet and get a Zoom. I have seen a recording of Gil Sharone jamming that was filmed with a Zoom and it sounds superb.

I guess I was just hoping there would be a way to make it work on my HTC Evo...

"The disk is getting bad sectors"? Do you mean there's a problem with the storage card? In that case: simply replace it.

If you do buy the Q3, make sure it's the HD model. Much better image quality. (I did a bit of research before purchasing it.)

BTW: the Q3(HD) does unfortunately *not* record the audio in WAV quality.

Patrice

homer-doh.jpg

Ah ... I feel dumb. I didn't know it had a storage card - I thought the memory was built in. That saves me some $$ - thanks Patrice!

The Zooms are awesome. That and Audacity combine great for rehearsal purposes.

Another vote for the Zoom H2. It captures a pretty clear sound and it's more convenient than lugging around a laptop and mic - at least the way I operate. Things are so advanced now - sure beats recording band practices on some crappy little cassette player like we did in the 70s!

Oh it is. It's been very helpful for me in developing a less antisocial drum face.

Back