which Evans head combo would be better......?

Hi,

I've played mostly Aquarian heads. But they're harder to come by now and the prices have really gone up where I'm from. Ireland.

So I've been testing out the other brands. I had G2s on my toms and loved them...but for some reason they didn't last very long. Some people say this is normal with Evans...some say it's not.

I've got Emperors on the kit right now. Sounds good. Not as good as G2s I think. But the Remo coating is a joke. I don't think it'll be long before I have to re-head the kit.

I'm looking at going back to Evans to give them another try. I think I might have just gotten a bad batch of heads...tell me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking. I like a nice full fat sound...but I don't like dead. I can't stand overtones. When I put tape or moongel on the heads...I don't like it to sound dead...I want the sustain...I want all that tone...what I try to do is focus it to only bring out the low end. So all the toms have a nice low end...with just the right about of sustain...without being choked. This is what I'd like to get from the Evans. Now I've tried EC2 and they are too choked for my liking.

I'm thiking of...

Coated G Plus over Coated G Plus. I'm thinking that the coated reso will dry out some of those overtones and help focus the drum without killing it. Am I right?

Or...go back to the G2s. On the smaller toms I might use either a coated G1 or coated G Plus. And on the floor toms I'd use the EC reso which I've heard a lot of people say works great on floor toms.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

SonorPlayer

what are you using for resonant heads?

I have good results with the Ec2/ec reso's on all my toms for a bassy
punchy sound with no overtones. I find they sound best tuned low
ec's begin to choke a lil above medium tuning.

If Ec's are too dead then try emperor clear over ec resonant
you can get the same bassy no-overtone sound but more sustain
and brighter attack

Emperor coated/G2 coated sound like you've tried them
they are good heads and can get you that sound with careful tuning
maybe try the ec resonant - focused tone.

The config I have now is sounding pretty killer:

12" Clear Emperor / clear ambassador
13" Ec2 / ec reso
16" Ec2 / ec reso

I use the Emp and amb combo on my 12 because the ec sounds a little
choked on that drum for the tuning I like.

But as for the 13" and 16".....huge sound with just the right amount of sustain

I tend to stick with the same heads top and bottom. I like G2's top and bottom, either coated or clear. I did at one time try the EC2's with G1's on the bottom and although good, the sound wasn't good for everything I might have to play - it was too fusion-y for me. I personally need a bit of ring for projection when playing with loud guitars.

But the thinner bottom head seems to work for everyone here. Except me.

I've tried clear over clear G Plus and like the sound quite a bit. I'm sure the coated ones would be just as great.

Back