Another Bubinga kit

Unix

Silver Member
This one is for Andy B. Size are 22" x 16", 16" x 14" and 12" x 8".
All in Bubinga as you may have already found.

Attachments

• Andy 6.jpg
    Andy 6.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 928
  • Andy 7.jpg
    Andy 7.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 921
  • Andy 8.jpg
    Andy 8.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 921
  • Andy 9.jpg
    Andy 9.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 919
Looks like you forgot the bass spurs on this one too! rofl

seriously, gorgous.

If you could please shoot me an email with your pricing on maple stave and bubinga kits. I may be in the market soon.

Beautiful. I think it would be even better if the kit had wood hoops all around. But nonetheless that kit is a work of art.

I was just thinking the same thing. I am working a concert right now with the band "Sanctus Real" and their drummer is using a Risen Drums custom kit with wood hoops all around and it's a sweet looking kit.

Yeah the triple flanged hoops look a little tacky next to the bass drum, but they're all amazing as usual. Great work again.

Man that's a beauty! (Again, I may be bias...)

Andy man, I gotta warn you - you'll spend more time staring at these drums at first then you will playing them, remember to snap out of it! Then you'll play them and realize what you've been missing with everything else.

I dig the inlay on the bd hoops, will it be filled w/ bubinga?

Also, not to hijack, but are those the claws you were waiting to send me? They're damn nice!

All I have to say is, this kit reminds me an awful lot of Rob's (fourstringdrums) if you guys remember it.

Ok, it's a serious question...

What is so great about bubinga wood ?

I know it sound good, I eard Zambizzi's sound file, but
before I set my mind on maple, would you guys tell me
more about the bubinga technicality / sound wise...

Again François, very nice kit...

I hope that you don't mind if I ask in your tread...

Thanks !

Philippe

Ok, it's a serious question...

What is so great about bubinga wood ?

I know it sound good, I eard Zambizzi's sound file, but
before I set my mind on maple, would you guys tell me
more about the bubinga technicality / sound wise...

Again François, very nice kit...

I hope that you don't mind if I ask in your tread...

Thanks !

Philippe

The certain warmth and sharp clarity and depth of tone {deep sound} with a huge dynamic range speaking clearly very soft and very loud is what I experience with bubinga wood Philippe. Amazing sounding drums made with this wood both for on stage and in the recording studio. What really gets me is the striking rich unique tonal personality this wood has like no other set of drums i've ever heard or owned made with other woods. These comments are from a guy with a year old jazz size set with all 9 ply type construction bubinga wood shells which sound even better at present than when they were first in my hands which was nothing to sneaze at back then believe me.

Love the Unix bubinga stave beauties posted in this thread. Congrats to Andy. Very surprised indeed to hear Rob {fourstringdrums} is selling his lovely Unix kit though {?}

I would agree with Stan on bubinga characteristics. The only other drums I've played are maple (DW, Pearl, and Ludwig).

To my ears, bubinga is much more punchy...but in a very dark and warm way. It's a very round, fat sound that covers a broader spectrum of highs and lows and any maple drums I've had.

I would agree with Stan on bubinga characteristics. The only other drums I've played are maple (DW, Pearl, and Ludwig).

To my ears, bubinga is much more punchy...but in a very dark and warm way. It's a very round, fat sound that covers a broader spectrum of highs and lows and any maple drums I've had.

I totally agree with your further points.

On a side note do you know zambizzi why Rob {fourstringdrums} is selling his Unix kit. The look and sound {sound files} I remember made them a real full term keeper in my view.

On a side note do you know zambizzi why Rob {fourstringdrums} is selling his Unix kit. The look and sound {sound files} I remember made them a real full term keeper in my view.

Yeah, I looked over at GN, it looks like he is. If I had the dough I'd take them off his hands, for sure.

something to do with mobility cause they are heavy and he has trouble carrying them..which is totally understandable since they are basically thick solid wood.

he's just looking at a smaller portable kit..

Alex

That's too bad Alex but it makes sense because that's another characteristic of the wood to keep in mind the shells are HEAVY. When people pick up my 10" bubinga tom there are always in for quite a surprise:} I would imagine stave bubinga construction would give them even further "beef" in the weight department.

Well somebodys going to get a great kit and hope Rob finds something more suited to his current needs {easy potability}.

Yeah, I looked over at GN, it looks like he is. If I had the dough I'd take them off his hands, for sure.

Well if money wasn't a problem i'd suggest that he keep them as his home studio kit and and get another lightweight portable kit for hauling around. That may not be an option {?}.

As well as Andy congrats by the way on your own new Unix beauties zambizzi.

Ya know...these drums aren't THAT heavy. I really didn't notice a difference in weight between the bubingas and the Pearl maple kit I have, though the Pearls have a bit more hardware on them.

Either way, they're not much (if at all) heavier than plywood kits. I made the same assumptions at first and now I have no qualms about hauling this kit out into the world.

Ya know...these drums aren't THAT heavy. I really didn't notice a difference in weight between the bubingas and the Pearl maple kit I have, though the Pearls have a bit more hardware on them.

Either way, they're not much (if at all) heavier than plywood kits. I made the same assumptions at first and now I have no qualms about hauling this kit out into the world.

Quite true and glad to hear that stave construction is around the same weight range as my 9 ply type bubinga shells but they certainly {in my case} are much beefier in weight than my lightweight Canwood rock maple shell drums I was used to moving around in the past. My 10" bubinga tom weighs more than my old 12" Canwood maple tom as one example. I have no issue with the added weight myself zambizzi taking them to gigs or the studio but in Rob's case it would appear that the added beef of bubinga wood has become an issue for him at present.

Back