Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

Anon La Ply

Diamond Member
Given some of the chat on the 20" bass drum thread I thought a simple survey would be good.

--> What is your main style? (pls choose 1)

Classical
Jazz
Latin
Blues
Lounge
Country
Pop
Rock
Soft rock
Alt
Indie
Metal
Prog
World
Experimental
Other

--> What size bass drum do you play?

I'll start ... Lounge, 16"

I play almost all genres and for them all I typically play a 22" for all of them. It gives me all that I want in a kick. I recently came a cross a great deal on a Sonor Sonic Plus II jungle kit with a 16" bass drum and it sounded great in the store. I will be using it for all genres as well in smaller venues since it is so much easier to transport in my car. I can mic it up if I need to for certain gigs, and when I have to, I'll take my full size.

Jazz/Latin/Blues/Rock/Alt/Indie/Prog/Other - 20"

Ha - apologies for the limited nature of it ... one genre, one BD.

For double bass players, let's make RF for righties, and vice versa.

ID and Bon, you rebels! Must be rock :p

Ant, I'm counting you as 20".

Currently setting up a spreadsheet to do an objective analysis (good to keep up those chops too)

All multiple genres will be put in rock unless you make an appeal lol. I know you are all special and cannot possibly be pigeon-holed into one genre :) But I need your main one to do an objective analysis. Hopefully any standardisation skew will come out in the wash with sufficient numbers.

I could say lounge/blues/jazz/pop/rock too (not counting my experimental and acid jazz home recordings) but I think "lounge" is the most representative single label. Gvda plays many genres ...

Just to give you an idea where I'm going with this ... here are some early samples:

1. The data table

2. Graph - genre x BD size

3. Table with average BD size in each genre / sub genre

If anyone thinks some of the assumptions I've made are dicey - by all means speak up.

A very early trend favouring genre & BD size relationship - make you vote count lol

Attachments

• BD-size-sample.gif
    BD-size-sample.gif
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,559
Country....well, not exactly, but it is the closest genre listed to my band's Americana/Southern Rock style.

20" BD

Sheesh! This poll is very limiting. Most of my gigs fall under "world music" and I use a 20x14 bass drum. That bass drum doesn't really cut it as a concert bass drum, though. Just sayin'...

Sorry Caddy but what can I do?? Have a look at the tables. It would be mayhem! Very few players play exactly even amounts of more than two genres.

Go on, take a second genre ... I've rolled over on that one :)

After some more entries I will post the data table so you can "appeal" LOL ... Taye Dyed I'd make that 1. Rock 2. Country

Two 22" bass drums for now, although this may certainly change someday.

I mostly do experimental music, along the lines of rock, metal, jazz, psychedelic, and progressive. When I write songs, I usually don't tell myself "alright, I want this song to be X genre" or whatever. I just pretty much do whatever comes off the top of my head, so I'd have to go with experimental.

Back