Why aren't Recording Customs popular today?

I live in a major metropoitan area with national and mom/pop music stores and I have owned an RC for a year or so. But, I had never seen one in person before I bought it off a private seller.

The pre-Yess versions with the mount going into the shell is more coveted, which is counter to the trend today of non-invasive mounting. It seems like they just don't change hands too often. Guys that have them tend to keep them.

I think that the limited color selections probably suppress sales. My kit is Cobalt Blue, but I much prefer the Cherrywood finish personally. More color choices would lead to more sales, IMO. But, the people buying them are buying them for the sound, not the looks.

Last edited:
Gibson over the last few years has had serious offers to buy the Slingerland name,but won't sell.

The reason some of these drum companys faded into obscurity was bad management.Inability to compete with import drum prices,and last but not least,they were left in the dust when Tama,Pearl and Yamaha showed the world what a great set of drums and hardware looked like.They raised the bar in every area of drum manufacturing that there is,and only the strongest survived.

Steve B

Wonder why they won't sell? Would be cool if they 'came back'.
Regarding your second point, seems it always requires a newcomer, with new eyes, to instill change.

Not to change the direction of the post back to it's original intent, but... [BLATANT SARCASM INTENDED]

Other than Yamaha's lack of advertising, why do you think RC's are not popular anymore?

The ancillary fact that Rogers drums died and Yamaha let them die (that's all, they didn't kill them) is superfulous to any impression that RC's are not popular anymore. The perception that Yamaha fell from grace because of this is ludicrous. Business is business. There are alot more manufacturers and models to choose from now then there were in the eighties. God I hate the eighties!

Recording Customs are still popular with me. I bought eight individual RC's in 2009 for the first time. It took me years to budget for them. Yamaha drums have had a solid reputation in design and quality for a long time dating back to the eighties. Cascio/Interstate had immediate access to availability in standard kit sizes and in addition, a couple add-ons like 8x8, 13x11 and 24x18. I waited for three days to ship and five to seven days for delivery. Far better than two and three fiscal quarters to build.

I had a set I purchased new around 1985 and used exclusively until this year. I just sold them a few months ago. Why? My tastes changed and though they sounded wonderful, just didn't meet my needs any longer. I have zero regrets selling them.

Have these drums fallen out of flavor?

Certainly not. The set that I bought tastes of marzipan and the kids can't get enough of it.

Presumably some things are so well established and have such a good reputation that the manufacturer doesn't need to shout about it as much as they used to. I mean, when was the last time you saw a TV ad for a Ferrari?

Not to change the direction of the post back to it's original intent, but... [BLATANT SARCASM INTENDED]

Other than Yamaha's lack of advertising, why do you think RC's are not popular anymore?

The ancillary fact that Rogers drums died and Yamaha let them die (that's all, they didn't kill them) is superfulous to any impression that RC's are not popular anymore. The perception that Yamaha fell from grace because of this is ludicrous. Business is business. There are alot more manufacturers and models to choose from now then there were in the eighties. God I hate the eighties!

Recording Customs are still popular with me. I bought eight individual RC's in 2009 for the first time. It took me years to budget for them. Yamaha drums have had a solid reputation in design and quality for a long time dating back to the eighties. Cascio/Interstate had immediate access to availability in standard kit sizes and in addition, a couple add-ons like 8x8, 13x11 and 24x18. I waited for three days to ship and five to seven days for delivery. Far better than two and three fiscal quarters to build.

Well ..like you said,business is business,and RC's are not the cash cow for Yamaha.Their lower end kits are what keeps the lights on.That's true of ANY large mass production drum company.Ludwig isn't being kept afloat by thier Legacy line.It was sales of Accent,Epic,and Element that keeps the books in the black...not the USA made drum sales alone.Import sales bring in the majority of profit.

The Same with Yamaha.Their Stage Custom,Gigmaker,Rock tour and Club Custom lines also account for the majority of sales and income.So why not RC's?

They are top of the line and the line that really put Yamaha on the heap.Times and tastes change.Young players don't want dads drums.Everybody else just can't afford them.So why would you push a line that you have a very narrow target audience for?You said it yourself....you saved for years,and FINALLY bought a kit in 2009.The truth is..Yamaha would rather you buy two or three Stage Customs instead.

Most drummers ,even pro's hear RC's..thats yesterdays news.While the'll acknowledge the quality,the sound is usually associated with Steve Gadd,and his highly muffled 80's sound.Younger players wanted crazy finishes,and square bass drums.RC's don't fit the profile.

So it's simple...Ludwig,Gretsch,Sonor,Maoex,Tama,Yamaha,Pearl,even DW push their lower end drums all for the same reason......business is business.

I disagree with your acessment of the Rogers situation.They STILL could have been a pro quality recognizable American drum company,owned by Yamaha.They instead chose to squander a still reconizeable brand name...the same as Gibson has done with Slingerland,who WAS making a comeback.They had lots of young drummers endorcing their pruducts,and then,they were aquired by Gibson.Say good by to a once..and could STILL have been iconic name.

But I guess,BAD business is still,BAD business.

Steve B

Just to keep things straight here.

Yamaha killed Rogers.
When they aquired Rogers from Brook Mays, the drums in production were a quality mid range build... with Rogers original design Beavertail Lugs, a modern mounting system, and maple shells.They were bringing the brand back to respectability. Had things been different, and Brook Mays continued their advancements with Rogers, today, they would be a quality brand. As it is, Rogers is now completely dead.

What yamaha produced made crap look good. Because of that, I dumped every item of yamaha gear I owned, and thanked the gods of drum that I did not write the check for the Maple Custom Absolutes I almost bought brand new.

I will never own or use another Yamaha branded product of any kind ever again.

Last edited:
Just to keep things straight here.

Yamaha killed Rogers.
When they aquired Rogers from Brook Mays, the drums in production were a quality mid range build... with Rogers original design Beavertail Lugs, a modern mounting system, and maple shells.They were bringing the brand back to respectability. Had things been different, and Brook Mays continued their advancements with Rogers, today, they would be a quality brand. As it is, Rogers is now completely dead.

What yamaha produced made crap look good. Because of that, I dumped every item of yamaha gear I owned, and thanked the gods of drum that I did not write the check for the Maple Custom Absolutes I almost bought brand new.

I will never own or use another Yamaha branded product of any kind ever again.

Ignorance is bliss. I don't want to remain blissful and am willing to admit that I inadequately chose words to indicate that Yamaha was just trying to recuperate it's losses ...as if they needed my defense. I found that Yamaha did issue a press release in 2006 indicating that they were going to pick up the ball with Rogers and run with it big time.

Yamaha Acquires Intellectual Property Rights To Rogers Drums http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/drums/yamaha-acquires-intellectual-property-rights-to-rogers-drums/

For whatever reason they failed on this and seemingly attempted to dazzle us with bullshit is plain wrong, but not uncommon with large corporations. I imagine there were executives that intended otherwise whose efforts were obviously shunted. I feel that Yamaha's involvement with Rogers was purely a patch for a debt that Brook Mays left them holding. That's unfortunate. To blame Yamaha for an apparent natural confluence of bad business decisions and events that occurred at the time and since (domestically and globally) are component of capitalism in America since it's inception is short-sighted, IMO. Economists point out the cyclic longevity of businesses in America (including banks) is relatively short. Historically many large, solid industries have emerged, thrived and died. Foreign markets in particular China, once unimportant in comparison to the strength of America's economy at one time have become a threat to many companies globally. In the sixties it was Japan, then Taiwan, Korea and most detrimental it turns out ...China. Earth since it's beginning has orbited the sun in one constant direction on one axis and China is insistent on changing that for global economic domination and that's what is ultimately f&cking things up. But, I digress...

I started playing drums overseas and moved back to New York City when I was ten-years-old (1969), and the drum shop that I continued taking lessons from was a Rogers distributor and always had both the red and blue saw-tooth patterned drum sets on display. I was in lust! So, I feel your pain. I'm sorry. After moving to Houston, TX, my parents bought me a Ludwig set. Also, the kind they just don't build 'em like they used to.

I feel for all Rogers loyalists out there but I feel that Yamaha got left holding the bag ...yeah they lied about what they were going to do with Rogers. To hold a grudge against a leading innovative company that makes an excellent and often times, superior product is in itself narrow-minded and that's okay. This exercise in fuitility to reverse my ignorance has hurt my head.

Yamaha's marketing seems limited by design. The Rolling Stones traditionally kept press interviews to a minimum in order to remain much sought after and look where they are today.

RVN, there is plenty of superior product in the market place I do not have to whore myself out to yamaha.

I will play any other quality product, collect any other quality product, or use ANY other quality product.

But not Yamaha.

I am that narrow minded.

when I asked Peter he said there was much more to it than that and that he wasn't interested in getting into it because he is very happy with DW

he said this sitting behind a Craviotto kit that he had just purchased which I was filming him behind

on the video he starts singing....." I can't wait to see this on YouTube"

hahahaha

I'll show you the vid if you are interested ......I just promised him I would not make it public

Nah. I'm cool with it. It's none of my business anyway. I would think after a while you wouldn't care if you we're sponsored or not. I don't think I'd wanna be associated with a certain brand either. I like to buy what I like, which changes all the time ;)

OK Rogers is gone. Great drums. Long live Rogers. Can we let it go now, its decades later. I thought this thread was about Yamaha anyway, not American-made drums of any kind.

Six years does not "decades ago" make.

They aquired six years ago.Brook Mays was building a quality midline product. The first offerings by Yamaha at namm werent the product they aquired and they were panned. Subsequent offerings werent any better. They did not market the drums they took from Brook Mays at any time. And now... Rogers is no more. Those were business decisions, for whatever reason. But, the reasons Yamaha took Rogers in the settlement could not have been to build drums, nor to resurrect a very respected American name in drums. Had those been the reasons, then we would have seen Rogers drums at the level Brook Mays was selling when Yamaha took over and over the ensuing years, product improvements, including higher end offerings. That never happened.

One thing is for sure......... there is one less name to fight over midrange marketshare with today because of how this all turned out. And that, is something that should piss off every American.

Six years does not "decades ago" make.

One thing is for sure......... there is one less name to fight over midrange marketshare with today because of how this all turned out. And that, is something that should piss off every American.

I was referring to their 'heyday" decades ago. I stand corrected on a specific time line of 6 years ago.

Ok....here is a last pip from me. I love your Rogers collection, and Rogers drums, but they have nothing to do with RC's, and your statements now at this point have a political undertone .....so I'm gonna dis-engage here.
Could the poor OP have predicted his thread on RC's ends up at Brook Mays?

In all likelyhood, no. And, really, it should not have become this.

However, a companys overall business practices have a great deal to do with the popularity of any, and to some extent, all, of their offered products. The Rogers problem is just one aspect of Yamahas overall business practice in the United States. How individual dealers are treated overall, how dealers get treated who carry more than just Yamaha, the extent and implimentation of marketing plans. You combine everything, and you get either a model for success, stagnation, or failure.

Yamaha builds an excellent product. A few years ago I almost bought a new Maple Custom Absolute set brand new. I had the check wrote, and just needed to sign it. Something like 1900.00. I was like, give me a day or two. I bought a used Ayotte Custom instead. I was using Yamaha hardware back then, because I felt it was some of the best on the market.

I still feel Yamaha builds an excellent product, but they have alienated me from buying any of their products. I do believe they have a poor marketing plan, also, confusing names within their brand lines.The name confusion is something that has been around a very long time. Confused consumers do not buy your products. It doesnt take a genius to figure that out.

My apologies to the op. My initial comment was just an agreement with a previous post concerning Rogers/Yamaha. There was a lot of misinformation, and outright incorrect information in later posts by others.

Back