DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-23-2018, 03:22 AM
mike d mike d is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 579
Default New Tama Star finish.

Is this a nice finish or what?
It makes me want to sell my Smokey Indigo Burst B/B kit and but one of these?
:(

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-23-2018, 03:52 AM
Jml Jml is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 103
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Yes I like that finish!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-23-2018, 05:19 AM
steadypocket steadypocket is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 952
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

I fell for this finish the minute I set eyes on it. Took delivery on a kit last week (pics from the shop). The snare in particular sounds so good.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-23-2018, 05:35 AM
Groov-E Groov-E is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 765
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
I fell for this finish the minute I set eyes on it. Took delivery on a kit last week (pics from the shop). The snare in particular sounds so good.
Congrats !

Now excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-23-2018, 05:50 AM
mike d mike d is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 579
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Just freaking gorgeous you luck bastard!!!
;)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-23-2018, 09:59 AM
T_Weaves's Avatar
T_Weaves T_Weaves is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 822
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Really pretty. What kind of shell composition?
__________________
Sonor Delite | Gretsch Brooklyn | Sonor Vintage Series
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-23-2018, 01:32 PM
fl.tom fl.tom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 98
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

The Star Walnut series... inner plies of Walnut (5 for BD, 4 for others) + 2 outer plies of Japanese Sen.

Beautiful finish and kit. Great NDD.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2018, 01:36 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 21,747
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Those wide grain wood finishes do not look as good to me as some of the more narrow grain finishes. They look too much like construction plywood to me. I like the colors and how they are done.
I'm not sure what Japanese Sen. is? Help this old man out.

So now I find this.

Sen is an asian wood very similar in looks and appearance to ash. My experience is it can be lighter or heavier. Can have nice grain. Usually not used on the top-line guitars because of the snob appeal of ash, mainly.
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Mongrel's Avatar
Mongrel Mongrel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Jersey, USA
Posts: 707
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
......They look too much like construction plywood to me....
I thought drum shells were PLYWOOD!

lol

(you are right though they do kinda have that appearance..)
__________________
Playing wrong notes passionately since 1978...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-23-2018, 03:58 PM
steadypocket steadypocket is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 952
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Those wide grain wood finishes do not look as good to me as some of the more narrow grain finishes. They look too much like construction plywood to me. I like the colors and how they are done.
I'm not sure what Japanese Sen. is? Help this old man out.

So now I find this.

Sen is an asian wood very similar in looks and appearance to ash. My experience is it can be lighter or heavier. Can have nice grain. Usually not used on the top-line guitars because of the snob appeal of ash, mainly.
My buddy agrees with you. He dislikes the finish. Thinks Iím nuts putting my Star bubinga up for sale so I can get this walnut one. All I can say is that this finish speaks to me and is worth letting the bubinga go to get it (still have a bubinga Select kit that isnít going anywhere). My initial impression is that the bubinga Star sounds richer, snare excepted, but I still have these gawdawful coated stock heads on the walnut. Looking forward to clear 2-plies on the tom heads soon.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Odd-Arne Oseberg's Avatar
Odd-Arne Oseberg Odd-Arne Oseberg is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sykkylven, MÝre og Romsdal, Norway
Posts: 3,311
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Personal taste.

I appreciate more involved stuff in furniture, but for musical instruments I like it plain, even just black or white.
__________________
So, kick drum...or...bass drum? I'll tell you what. If it's 18" or less, it's a FOOT TOM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-23-2018, 11:43 PM
Tamaefx's Avatar
Tamaefx Tamaefx is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: France
Posts: 658
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
Personal taste.

I appreciate more involved stuff in furniture, but for musical instruments I like it plain, even just black or white.
I'm the same, don't like much burst and fades, this new colour is really nice though with great wood lines. I'm not sure about bass drum hoops, they seem much darker are they ?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-24-2018, 12:05 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 21,747
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I thought drum shells were PLYWOOD!

lol

(you are right though they do kinda have that appearance..)
I knew there had to be one and was the reason I added the word construction.....but they are Tama so maybe they are construction grade. 8+)
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-24-2018, 12:20 AM
Push pull stroke Push pull stroke is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

They are absolutely gorgeous.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-24-2018, 12:35 AM
GetAgrippa's Avatar
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Nice finish sort of reminds me of Yamaha PHX Ash Gold Sapphire Fade,except different grain.
__________________
"Only play the notes when required!"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-24-2018, 04:42 AM
mike d mike d is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 579
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

I think it's basically a 2 ply cosmetic finish over maple, and I love what I've seen of it, as done by Tama. Japanese sen varies greatly, as can be seen here.
Tama, in my experience, uses the prettiest woods and does the nicest finishes. My relatively inexpensive B/B Smokey Indigo Burst kit still blows me away every time I look at it for it's amazing finish and the flawless wood grain visible on every drum. It really is flawless. It makes me paranoid to ever buy another kit, because I'm afraid I would be disappointed.
;)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-24-2018, 04:32 PM
Up2Speed's Avatar
Up2Speed Up2Speed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 227
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
My buddy agrees with you. He dislikes the finish. Thinks Iím nuts putting my Star bubinga up for sale so I can get this walnut one. All I can say is that this finish speaks to me and is worth letting the bubinga go to get it (still have a bubinga Select kit that isnít going anywhere). My initial impression is that the bubinga Star sounds richer, snare excepted, but I still have these gawdawful coated stock heads on the walnut. Looking forward to clear 2-plies on the tom heads soon.
What finish is your Star Bubinga kit?
__________________
6 PC DW in Ruby Glass
DW 9000 Double
Sabian
Motion Pro Throne
Roland TD30KV
Pearl Demon Chain
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-24-2018, 04:36 PM
DaleClark's Avatar
DaleClark DaleClark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 287
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

I just with there were more Tama STAR drums available on showroom floors. Most places have the walnut versions which are priced lower.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-24-2018, 06:41 PM
steadypocket steadypocket is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 952
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
What finish is your Star Bubinga kit?
Dark green cordia. You can see how dark the finish is in shade lighting conditions in my ad in the classified section of this forum. You need very bright conditions for the beauty of the cordia to come through. The inside of those shells is more appealing to me than the exterior.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-26-2018, 02:37 AM
mike d mike d is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 579
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
I fell for this finish the minute I set eyes on it. Took delivery on a kit last week (pics from the shop). The snare in particular sounds so good.
So what snare will you use? The matching Maple or that awesome Star Reserve Copper? I think the copper would look great with that kit. ;)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-26-2018, 03:50 AM
fl.tom fl.tom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 98
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I think it's basically a 2 ply cosmetic finish over maple, and I love what I've seen of it, as done by Tama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
So what snare will you use? The matching Maple or that awesome Star Reserve Copper? I think the copper would look great with that kit. ;)
These are actually Walnut and the tonal differences between all three Star wood series are noticeable. The copper snare would be an interesting sonic combination as well as aesthetic.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-26-2018, 03:54 AM
drumming sort of person's Avatar
drumming sort of person drumming sort of person is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 2,212
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
Dark green cordia.
You like this new finish better than the green cordia? I thought the cordia finishes were beautiful. I'm not crazy about any sort of fade or burst, unless it's a guitar.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-26-2018, 05:28 AM
mike d mike d is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 579
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl.tom View Post
These are actually Walnut and the tonal differences between all three Star wood series are noticeable. The copper snare would be an interesting sonic combination as well as aesthetic.
You're right... my bad... Walnut. IMHO the snare can stand apart cosmetically (especially if it's metal) as long as it fits the kit sound wise. I think the Tama Hand hammered copper snare would probably sound great with pretty much any kit? Maybe not metal, but it sounds pretty versatile (from the sound clips I've heard).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-26-2018, 01:28 PM
fl.tom fl.tom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 98
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
IMHO the snare can stand apart cosmetically (especially if it's metal) as long as it fits the kit sound wise.
Agreed. I've heard each individually, just not together. Would be interesting to hear if the harmonics of the copper are complimentary to the more barky tone of the walnut.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-26-2018, 04:56 PM
spleeeeen's Avatar
spleeeeen spleeeeen is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,547
Default Re: New Tama Star finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
I fell for this finish the minute I set eyes on it. Took delivery on a kit last week (pics from the shop). The snare in particular sounds so good.
Damn Rich, those are some sick drums. Congrats!
__________________
[14 Crew]
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com