DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-19-2018, 12:37 PM
williamsbclontz williamsbclontz is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Texas area
Posts: 548
Default Best shuffles?

Give me some shuffles, and give me some drummers who can lay them down! Blues or country or rock or whatever. I'm talking about guys like purdie, earl palmer, etc. I would say bonham, but I'm really looking for guys who would play it more often than just one song if you know what I mean

https://youtu.be/KGNiAxFh70E
I love the fills he plays in this one

https://youtu.be/p6B_qlYRaAQ
Another buddy miles shuffle, super tight

https://youtu.be/A3mc08RWxio
The coolest solo I've ever heard in a shuffle

https://youtu.be/nfwcgjahW5I
I remember learning this a long time ago, and it's a good left hand workout
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-19-2018, 12:43 PM
Rattlin' Bones's Avatar
Rattlin' Bones Rattlin' Bones is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 958
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Any real blues bar featuring real blues. Dudes older than dirt. can barely walk. Behind his band he just lays down the shuffles all night. He's the opposite of the Front Man. You barely notice him. Fills are simple triplets or maybe just rolls that crescendo to a small crash cymbal. That's what shuffles are all about.

Purdie comes to mind yeah. But most of them you don't know their names. They're smoke. They're stale air and beer. They're playing 'till 4 am then going to work at 6am. Those dudes lay down the shuffles, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Give me some shuffles, and give me some drummers who can lay them down! Blues or country or rock or whatever. I'm talking about guys like purdie, earl palmer, etc. I would say bonham, but I'm really looking for guys who would play it more often than just one song if you know what I mean

https://youtu.be/KGNiAxFh70E
I love the fills he plays in this one

https://youtu.be/p6B_qlYRaAQ
Another buddy miles shuffle, super tight

https://youtu.be/A3mc08RWxio
The coolest solo I've ever heard in a shuffle

https://youtu.be/nfwcgjahW5I
I remember learning this a long time ago, and it's a good left hand workout
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2018, 01:55 PM
williamsbclontz williamsbclontz is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Texas area
Posts: 548
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Any real blues bar featuring real blues. Dudes older than dirt. can barely walk. Behind his band he just lays down the shuffles all night. He's the opposite of the Front Man. You barely notice him. Fills are simple triplets or maybe just rolls that crescendo to a small crash cymbal. That's what shuffles are all about.

Purdie comes to mind yeah. But most of them you don't know their names. They're smoke. They're stale air and beer.
I agree, that's mainly why I was asking because I wanted some names but they most drummers playing blues don't really get much recognition. I mean this recording is from 53: https://youtu.be/0bnBhBkFq8I, of course you had jazz greats like buddy and gene back then, but this is some really good stuff that was way before its time

I mainly just wanted to hear some good shuffles, and this is a really good outlet to find music you would've never heard before otherwise
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Mongrel's Avatar
Mongrel Mongrel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Jersey, USA
Posts: 785
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Boz Scaggs...."Lido Shuffle"....Jeff Porcaro-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZBaJAngH8
__________________
Playing wrong notes passionately since 1977...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Mongrel's Avatar
Mongrel Mongrel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Jersey, USA
Posts: 785
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Cover of Jimi Hendrix "Rainy Day, Dream Away"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHBU1xzh9jE
__________________
Playing wrong notes passionately since 1977...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Mongrel's Avatar
Mongrel Mongrel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Jersey, USA
Posts: 785
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Green Onions....Booker T and the MGs-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpS-cOBK6Q

Interesting take on a shuffle feel.
__________________
Playing wrong notes passionately since 1977...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2018, 03:45 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 20,569
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Just a pick nit....the 4th video down in the OP (Ramble at the Ryman) isn't a shuffle.

ZZ Top's "La Grange" is a great sounding Texas style shuffle.

Duke Robillard's drummer Mark Teixeira plays a fantastic shuffle.

Put me down for another vote for Boz Scagg's "Lido Shuffle".

Are Boz Scaggs and Ricky Scaggs related?
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2018, 04:00 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,178
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Yes they are sisters....
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2018, 05:09 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,056
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Give Burton Cummings' ' My Own Way to Rock" a try.
A burning fast shuffle with Jeff Porcaro on drums.
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-19-2018, 05:18 PM
toddbishop toddbishop is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,089
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Midnight Special the way Grady Tate and Donald Bailey play it with Jimmy Smith is pretty hip.
__________________
Visit Cruise Ship Drummer! - a drumming blog | 2017 CSD! Book of the Blog now available
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-19-2018, 05:44 PM
MrPockets's Avatar
MrPockets MrPockets is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,063
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Fool in the Rain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWnhz1ZcF74

...The Truffle Shuffle?
__________________
Drum is fum
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-19-2018, 05:53 PM
williamsbclontz williamsbclontz is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Texas area
Posts: 548
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Just a pick nit....the 4th video down in the OP (Ramble at the Ryman) isn't a shuffle.

Y'all don't call those shuffles?, I always thought just because it's not swung doesn't mean it's not a shuffle

You can get technical with it I guess, and some people call it a "train beat", but where I come from that's usually considered a shuffle

But include those type of grooves too please everyone if you have any

Last edited by williamsbclontz; 06-19-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-19-2018, 06:03 PM
williamsbclontz williamsbclontz is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Texas area
Posts: 548
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Midnight Special the way Grady Tate and Donald Bailey play it with Jimmy Smith is pretty hip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Boz Scaggs...."Lido Shuffle"....Jeff Porcaro-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZBaJAngH8
Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Give Burton Cummings' ' My Own Way to Rock" a try.
A burning fast shuffle with Jeff Porcaro on drums.
This is awesome stuff thanks guys
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,443
Default Re: Best shuffles?

The best shuffles are the ones that evenly distribute the face cards through the deck.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 PM
JosephDAqui's Avatar
JosephDAqui JosephDAqui is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 604
Default Re: Best shuffles?

https://youtu.be/8-DVf2a2-q0
__________________
http://piercedtheband.com/
Music/Tech Site
Styles: Metal / Hard Rock / Prog
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Mozart1220 Mozart1220 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 100
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
The best shuffles are the ones that evenly distribute the face cards through the deck.
But all the number cards can be clumped together?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-19-2018, 07:54 PM
MrPockets's Avatar
MrPockets MrPockets is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,063
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
The best shuffles are the ones that evenly distribute the face cards through the deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJubaijQbI
__________________
Drum is fum
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Mozart1220 Mozart1220 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 100
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Give me some shuffles, and give me some drummers who can lay them down! Blues or country or rock or whatever. I'm talking about guys like purdie, earl palmer, etc. I would say bonham, but I'm really looking for guys who would play it more often than just one song if you know what I mean

https://youtu.be/KGNiAxFh70E
I love the fills he plays in this one

https://youtu.be/p6B_qlYRaAQ
Another buddy miles shuffle, super tight

https://youtu.be/A3mc08RWxio
The coolest solo I've ever heard in a shuffle

https://youtu.be/nfwcgjahW5I
I remember learning this a long time ago, and it's a good left hand workout

And being the drummer you get your "right hand workout" after the show! (sorry couldn't resist)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 PM
williamsbclontz williamsbclontz is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Texas area
Posts: 548
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart1220 View Post
And being the drummer you get your "right hand workout" after the show! (sorry couldn't resist)
I thought the point of drumming was to impress some girl enough to where you wouldn't have to :/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-19-2018, 09:25 PM
oldskoolsoul's Avatar
oldskoolsoul oldskoolsoul is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 471
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
..Any real blues bar featuring real blues. Dudes older than dirt..

Btw have you seen this set..?

I thought could be something that you maybe like..

http://www.dust-digital.com/ferris/
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-19-2018, 09:34 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,674
Default Re: Best shuffles?

A few out the blue because Jeff, Purdie always get the lions share here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFSRCZN843c

Like this because it's over a minor key song, and shuffling is a happy little groove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrwIoIGfFIU

Always liked this one from Jim Keltner aka Buster Sideman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfjXp4KTTY8

Double Trouble
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-19-2018, 11:18 PM
Mozart1220 Mozart1220 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 100
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
I thought the point of drumming was to impress some girl enough to where you wouldn't have to :/
Only the one's leftover after the singer and lead guitarist are done. As a bass player, I found myself drinking with the soundman, so... ;)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 PM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,981
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
The best shuffles are the ones that evenly distribute the face cards through the deck.
Not true.

The best shuffles distribute all the cards randomly, which is not the same as evenly.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-20-2018, 01:04 AM
Merlin5's Avatar
Merlin5 Merlin5 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London UK
Posts: 975
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Georgie Fame. If you don't know the drummer within 8 bars, you should be ashamed :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL9k...YANSOiWxubslSa

Some Robben Ford
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0CWfVZczY

One of my favourite pieces of music. Brushes to sticks. Bit of a texas shuffle here. The great tom Brechtlein. Oh yeah, check the fill at 2:19.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9tl5BrsysU

Steve Gadd, halftime and double time shuffle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLu387iIBmM
__________________
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-20-2018, 08:29 PM
williamsbclontz williamsbclontz is online now
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: East Texas area
Posts: 548
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
Georgie Fame. If you don't know the drummer within 8 bars, you should be ashamed :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL9k...YANSOiWxubslSa

Some Robben Ford
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0CWfVZczY

One of my favourite pieces of music. Brushes to sticks. Bit of a texas shuffle here. The great tom Brechtlein. Oh yeah, check the fill at 2:19.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9tl5BrsysU

Steve Gadd, halftime and double time shuffle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLu387iIBmM
This is awesome stuff
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-21-2018, 04:21 AM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,645
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Any real blues bar featuring real blues. Dudes older than dirt. can barely walk. Behind his band he just lays down the shuffles all night. He's the opposite of the Front Man. You barely notice him. Fills are simple triplets or maybe just rolls that crescendo to a small crash cymbal. That's what shuffles are all about.

Purdie comes to mind yeah. But most of them you don't know their names. They're smoke. They're stale air and beer. They're playing 'till 4 am then going to work at 6am. Those dudes lay down the shuffles, man.
That's my retirement plan... ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-21-2018, 04:33 AM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,645
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Midnight Special the way Grady Tate and Donald Bailey play it with Jimmy Smith is pretty hip.
One of my favorite Jimmy Smith shuffles has always been Bacl At The Chicken Shack. That cool upbeat hi-hat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuMd...EE4274CF8B13EA
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-21-2018, 04:36 AM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,645
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Just a pick nit....the 4th video down in the OP (Ramble at the Ryman) isn't a shuffle.

ZZ Top's "La Grange" is a great sounding Texas style shuffle.

Duke Robillard's drummer Mark Teixeira plays a fantastic shuffle.

Put me down for another vote for Boz Scagg's "Lido Shuffle".

Are Boz Scaggs and Ricky Scaggs related?
Yes, Uncle... Mark can lay down the best shuffle! He's a great guy too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fge_t0nJDs
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-21-2018, 03:34 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 20,569
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Yes, Uncle... Mark can lay down the best shuffle! He's a great guy too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fge_t0nJDs
Love this man's shuffle feel. I saw him once. Only they didn't do one shuffle all night long. I really dig his ride cymbal tone and touch too. I asked him and he said it was a Zildjian sweet ride. An exceptional one.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-21-2018, 03:45 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 20,569
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Another thing about the shuffle....and this probably applies across the board...you could be able to play a great shuffle, and that is so important, but if the rest of the band isn't versed in the style, it's not going to work like it should. I could say the same thing about dynamics. They are both a team effort.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-21-2018, 05:35 PM
R2112's Avatar
R2112 R2112 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 526
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Check out Ash Soan. Smooth as silk...


https://www.instagram.com/p/BjVD_mXH...ken-by=ashsoan
__________________
Guru, Dunnett, DW, Ludwig, Tama, Istanbul Agop, Vic Firth...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-22-2018, 07:57 AM
moxman moxman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 521
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Flip flop fly - Downchild Blues band

Buzzard luck - Powder blues band

.. Anything by Steve Jordan with the Blues Bros.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-22-2018, 03:01 PM
IP Cyborg IP Cyborg is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 19
Default Re: Best shuffles?

At about 4:00 is Smackwater Jack. I always thought this was a great shuffling tune. Carole King



https://youtu.be/S_n6QCLKbHc
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-22-2018, 05:59 PM
hawksmoor's Avatar
hawksmoor hawksmoor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: sarf London
Posts: 195
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2112 View Post
Check out Ash Soan. Smooth as silk...


https://www.instagram.com/p/BjVD_mXH...ken-by=ashsoan
Always loved Ash's playing. I was at a UK drum academy one year where he taught and he's a lovely bloke. I asked him about his time with the mysterious UK soul singer Lewis Taylor (now retired). After speaking highly of him, saying Lewis is a genius, he put on a version of Taylor's Stoned, especially recorded for him by Taylor (complete with Taylor shouting out, 'I'm in here' to his girlfriend mid-song!), drummed to it and blew everyone away with his tasteful playing.
__________________
Today's special is Memphis soul stew
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-22-2018, 08:05 PM
eddypierce eddypierce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 300
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Here are some of my favorite shuffle drummers (with some representative tracks):

Al Jackson, Jr.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iki0DG9-ZG0

Richard “Pistol” Allen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0GDQrK2jo

Fred Below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bnBhBkFq8I

Odie Payne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6OS_ItMGpc

Art Blakey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9NSR-2DwM

George Rains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvn2WSVV734

Richard Innes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su6yclzYXtA
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-22-2018, 08:48 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,056
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypierce View Post
great choices there! Being 1963, I always thought one that was Benny Benjamin?
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-24-2018, 07:56 PM
eddypierce eddypierce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 300
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
great choices there! Being 1963, I always thought one that was Benny Benjamin?
I've read in numerous sources that it was Pistol Allen, but it's always hard to be 100% sure. Of course, all three of the main Motown drummers (Benny Benjamin, Pistol Allen, and Uriel Jones) played fabulous shuffle grooves. Just taking Martha and the Vandellas, I can think of several other great ones: "Jimmy Mack," "I"m Ready For Love," "In My Lonely Room," "Come and Get These Memories," and "My Baby Loves Me."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-25-2018, 04:08 AM
Freightshaker's Avatar
Freightshaker Freightshaker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Where ever I park the truck
Posts: 20
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Boz Scaggs...."Lido Shuffle"....Jeff Porcaro-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZBaJAngH8
Rosanna by the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMI81yIlT0Q
__________________
There are three types of drummers: those that count and those that don't.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-25-2018, 07:10 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 20,569
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypierce View Post
I've read in numerous sources that it was Pistol Allen, but it's always hard to be 100% sure. Of course, all three of the main Motown drummers (Benny Benjamin, Pistol Allen, and Uriel Jones) played fabulous shuffle grooves. Just taking Martha and the Vandellas, I can think of several other great ones: "Jimmy Mack," "I"m Ready For Love," "In My Lonely Room," "Come and Get These Memories," and "My Baby Loves Me."
Heatwave!

202020202020
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-25-2018, 03:45 PM
Merlin5's Avatar
Merlin5 Merlin5 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London UK
Posts: 975
Default Re: Best shuffles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksmoor View Post
Always loved Ash's playing. I was at a UK drum academy one year where he taught and he's a lovely bloke. I asked him about his time with the mysterious UK soul singer Lewis Taylor (now retired). After speaking highly of him, saying Lewis is a genius, he put on a version of Taylor's Stoned, especially recorded for him by Taylor (complete with Taylor shouting out, 'I'm in here' to his girlfriend mid-song!), drummed to it and blew everyone away with his tasteful playing.
Lewis Taylor is one of the biggest and most underrated losses to the music industry that ever happened; outstanding musician. I believe he's still doing something to do with music but he's not performing anymore. I'm still a huge fan of his. Saw him with Ash at the London Jazz Cafe in Camden years ago, seriously one of the best gigs I've ever been to. He was born and bred in the same part of north london as me as it happens.
__________________
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com