2010 Football World Cup-South Africa

Re: 2010 World Cup-South Africa

I just wanted to say I saw the groups and dont seem challenging at all, really few good games to start the world cup in comparison to previous yrs

COME ON ENGLAND, 2010, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN LIKE 1966, OOOCCH THAT HURTS.

We have the Yanks in our group, now that will be a good game.

June seems such a long way away,

And the game is known as "FOOTBALL" !!! NOT Soccer.

We have a good manager this time, we really do stand a good chance, so long as those bloody europeans dont keep falling over every time you go near them, claiming for a penalty.

Keep on your feet, be a man, not to go down like a sag of shite, just because some farts on you, or gets his hand cought up in his oppnants long greasy locks.

COME ON ENGLAND.

Charlton 1 Southend United 0. ooooppps.

Watch out, Steamer.. the Aussies are coming to get ya!

Nah, he's safe. He starts with Stan :)

sufc.loyal, it's almost painful to read your posts. Time after time, year after year, you Poms hang on to the desperate hope that maybe this time it will be different, that this time The Old Dart will bring home the bacon.

Yet deep down you KNOW it won't happen. It can't happen. 1966 was a bizarre and unlikely event never to be repeated.

Even if you are the best football team in the world with daylight second something will transpire - the "hand of god", a moment of madness, a dog will run on the field to do whoopsies at an inopportune moment, maybe even a freak earthquake - to ensure that you once again grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

You are British. It's just how things are.

At least, unlike us, you don't spend half your GDP on sport and then crow about being the best bloody sporting nation pound for pound on the planet. I'd take your glorious pathos over our misplaced triumphalism any day :)

Last edited:

Hey don't tread on the dream man!

Football will come home... just you wait and see.

No but seriously, sure England has the worst luck ever when it comes to Football, and especially the World Cup, but they deserve to win dammit. lol

1. We class ourself as English, not British, when england play away around the world it is the St George flag that the surporters fly, not the union jack, same with the Scots, they fly there own colours.

2. Yes England has the best football team in the world, and also the most unluckiest team, every four years we have the best team in the world, but things never work out, (due to bad luck only) that we dont lift the cup.

3. Seems to me that England is not such a bad place, seeing that London is stuffed full of Aussies, looking for adventure, even my bussiness bank manager is a youngish Aussie, who now follows Chelsea and he loves it.

4. Football fans are such a synical bunch, but will always beleave in that one day, just one day, it will happen, one day all things will come right, and that day will be the day you will never ever forget, and that will be the winning of the 2010 world cup. Maybe.

If you won the world cup all the time how boring would that be.

Pollyanna. you got me good, LOL

Bad day at work, My love of football, and all. (And yes i feel so good and de stressed after that Rant).

And the pre judgement of the ENGLISH team in the 2010 World cup.

One day maybe one day, the world cup will come back home. LOL again.

Now Pollyanna lets talk about RUGBY and the world cup, OOOPPPS, LOL LOL LOL LOL, again and again and again.

All said with a smiley face.

Yes, the spectacular thing about Aussie sport is we throw an insane amount of resources into it (at the expense of the arts) and still manage to lose the cricket, the rugby, the tennis and freestyle tiddlywinks events.

If you measured GDP, sports expenditure and sports results against each other I'm sure we'd be on top of the world in getting the very worst bang for the buck.

On the other hand, given that we put about $1.50 per year into the arts, we've done remarkably well.

sufc.loyal, sorry about calling you British. Youse Poms all look the same to me, although with practice I've learned to tell our Scottish keys player and English bassist apart. One of them stands up to play :)

Last edited:

BeatsMcGee.

Mate you are calling football, "Soccer"

Shame on you.

Next you will be calling all Aussie's "Kiwi's", Easy mistake to make, i surpose as they are very alike. ish

South (Latin) America is back for the attack with: Brasil - Argentina - Chile - Paraguay and Uruguay.
Venezuela (La vino tinto) did not make it, it went through the toughest qualifying phases versus those football giants. But We are proud of our achievement and progress in football.

BeatsMcGee.

Mate you are calling football, "Soccer"

Shame on you.

Next you will be calling all Aussie's "Kiwi's", Easy mistake to make, i surpose as they are very alike. ish

I just re-read all my posts on this thread and not once did I say "Soccer" instead of Football... congrats you've officially confused me. lol

Switzerland is qualified too...

We are happy. Good news: For reaching the quarterfinals Roger Federer (from my hometome Basel) will join the team.

Also from my hometome Basel are Scott Chipperfield - plays with Australia and
Samuel Inkoom - plays with Ghana.

Of course my love and all time and ever favorite is ITALY

Bernhard

Switzerland is qualified too...

We are happy. Good news: For reaching the quarterfinals Roger Federer (from my hometome Basel) will join the team.

Also from my hometome Basel are Scott Chipperfield - plays with Australia and
Samuel Inkoom - plays with Ghana.

Of course my love and all time and ever favorite is ITALY

Bernhard

eww... Italy they play dirty

All Aussies who saw the Italy v Oz quater final in the last WC remember Grosso gaining the match-winning penalty for them with a dextrous shimmy into a prone Aussie defender and doing a swan dive that would achieve a 10-10-10 in the Olympics high board event :)

That game was really hyped here in Sydney because 1) it was the best we'd done in the WC and 2) we have a lot of Italians here. I live near Norton St, which our Little Italy where they showed the match in the streets on a large screen, with thousands of revellers packing the streets.

Before the match I wandered down there with a cheap digital camera to capture the moment. It's not easy to keep a steady hand when on the night setting in a crowd so the pics came out kinda arty :)

iw_aust-v-italy3.jpg

BeatsMcGee.

I am starting to confuse myself. You are right, not once, did you mention Soccer. Where the hell i got that from, i dont know. But you do say MOM instead of MUM.

And Yes your farther getting excited about the England V Germany games, spot on, here we call the them Ye Olde Enermy, and it means so much to beat them, the ENGLISH fans will sing the theme to the dam busters, the great escape etc.. etc...

One of the greatest pictures in football, DD

Attachments

• Germany 1 England 5.jpg
    Germany 1 England 5.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 271

yeah, I live in the states, we moved here when me and my sister were both really young, so yeah, we say mom lol. Like I said I was not born in England but actually Wales, and we all moved to the states shortly there after my birth--around 6 months or so--(cause my Mom is American)...

Interestingly enough we did used to say crisps for "potato chips" as kids, and my Dad (born and raised in Nuneaton, England) used to make us laugh with all his English idioms and sayings. And he always compares America to Britain, especially when it comes to driving and road manners lol.

But yeah I totally understand the rivalry between England and Germany...its obvious... and with both my Granddad and Great-Granddad fighting in WWI and WWII for Britain in the Royal Navy, I can see how the deep running rivalry became ingrained in my father, which now resides in me LOL.

Also England and Argentina have a very popular rivalry.

A few things...

Firstly, we are NOT kiwis :p
It's called soccer, and
Aussie Aussie Aussie!

lets not turn this thread into a mindless debate about whether or not its football or soccer. or about nicknames for people of different nationalities...

cheers!

Back