Best wood hoops for snare?

Hey DW. I'm doing some restoration on a maple Legend Drum... either 6.5 or 7 by 14". It's a vented snare (i know some of you cringe at the thought of that).. so i think it was a prototype of some sort. Either way it's really cool and unique to have.. a great shell from a company that was around for too short of a time.

I've been thinking about buying some wood hoops to pimp it out even further though. For a holiday gift I have the option of either Gibraltar Maple hoops or PDP ones. There is only a $20 difference between the brands. I've seen the Gibraltar ones (i believe Gretsch puts them on their snares) but not the PDP's.. Have any of you messed around with them?

Next i'll have to get a couple lugs.. it's a 20 lug drum, and i'll probably have to re-lug up the top 10 with new ones as some of the legend lugs i currently have are stripped and in shit shape. I'll keep the 10 that are OK and use them for the bottom side. Just have to measure up the spacing and pray i don't have to drill into the shell if i can get lugs to match the existing spacing.

Toss a coin.........seriously.

I don't say that to be flippant. But a well constructed maple hoop is a well constructed maple hoop. Who cares if it's branded Gibraltar or PDP?........and there's a heap more from local drum makers that are equally as suitable.

This is not the sort of thing to keep you awake at night mate. Either/or will suffice for what you wanna do with them.

I'm not losing any sleep brother ;)

I'm not sure if the PDP hoop is Maple but whatever!

Turn of phrase mate.....don't read anything more into it.

They were last time I checked 'em out. Pretty much the same thing when I last did my investigations.....however, as always, I'm happy to stand corrected.

No corrections here.. i can't find any elaboration of information on DW's site. But you're right, they'll function just the same.

The big project is going to be lug-ging it up... that'll take some research!

Thanks for the input mate :)

I have the yamaha vintage hoops for my 14 inch snare drum and they're good. So thats another option.

I'm not sure from the OP whether you need to replace the lugs because they are damaged or because the threads are stripped. If it is the latter then you only need replace the inner nuts which are cheap and easy to get (Gibralter make some).

I have a 13 by 4 Legend snare. Nice drum but terrible snare throw-off mechanism

I'm not sure from the OP whether you need to replace the lugs because they are damaged or because the threads are stripped. If it is the latter then you only need replace the inner nuts which are cheap and easy to get (Gibralter make some).

I have a 13 by 4 Legend snare. Nice drum but terrible snare throw-off mechanism

Threading was not the issue.. on 1/4 of the lugs, there was damage on the gaskets due to someone over-tightening. They were almost broken off in some points. Once i get the drum back (and get the accurate measurement of the original hole spacing) then i'll do some research on available replacement lugs. I'm sure i'll find something cool and effective.

And i'm not huge on the Legend throw-off... but for now it'll do. Very cool drum though! Surely a collector's item ;)

Back