Weezer plays Rosanna..

It sounds good to me! First time I've heard it.

The singing was kinda lackluster, but everything else was spot on.

For some reason it just sounds to me like the drummer is struggling to squeeze all the beats into the bar.

If this was an attempt to do someting good, I'd probably choose to do a completely different version.

Probably charming to fans of the band. Maybe. Just sounds terribly disjointed to me. Shoes were not filled.

Yeah. Terrible Grammy award winning band covering a tune they like. For shame. Boo this band. They obviously don't know what they're doing. Maybe they will come and ask drummerworld.com for some advice.

Yeah. Terrible Grammy award winning band covering a tune they like. For shame. Boo this band. They obviously don't know what they're doing. Maybe they will come and ask drummerworld.com for some advice.

After listening to some of it I agree, they should've come to DW and got advise.

It definitely shows TOTO's high level of professionalism, and WEEZER'S lesser level of same.

I thought this was a Spinal Tap version with ghost notes that go to 11.

..Yeah. Terrible Grammy award winning band covering a tune they like. For shame. Boo this band..

..It definitely shows TOTO's high level of professionalism, and WEEZER'S lesser level of same..

Why am i not surprised about replies like this..lol..never touch a Porcaro drumpart on a drummersforum..

And ofcourse i agree that this is not Porcaro-level, but thats not the idea..

This is Weezer, not Toto, and they for sure produce a hell of a lot better (own) version than 99,9% of all those rockcoverbands that claim to play close to the original one..People are allowed to disagree, but mostly when i see those people play themselves, i only think..tsjah..

And when speaking about a level of professionalism..Just to be clear, i am not considering myself a Weezer-fan or something like that..But in my opinion those first 2-3 albums from Weezer are an essential thing to listen if you want to know something about poprock/powerpop drumming, just like The Seventh One from Toto is an essential thing to listen..

But besides that, Toto themselves are also sounding allready 20 years like their own (boring) coverband..But then again, thats just my own humble opinion..lol..

Haters gonna hate, brother. Water off a duck's back!!!

I like Weezer, and their first albums (blue, Pinkerton, green and Make Believe) are still on my playlist from time to time.
Those songs are great for drum students (kids I mean), I use them regularly. But I don't like this cover too much to be
honest, and I agree that it's kind of a strange song choice, and also, to me, it's too much of a detailed copy.

I love being called a hater when I disagree with anything.....lol.

"It sucks"
"HATER! *sniff*"

Word is this cover was a joke response to a Wheezer fan petition that Wheezer cover Toto's "Africa".... Or maybe it was a "World's Loudest Ghost Note Competition"?

*snicker*

Not a fan of Wheezer or Toto so.....

Did anybody bother to read up on this and see that there was a (joking) fan request for Weezer to cover Africa by Toto. They decided on Rosanna as a joke.

Personally, I am not a fan of this version, but then I thoroughly dislike Toto - not their musicianship (they are amazing musicians), but rather their actual songs- so it doesn't bother me at all that this is not a great version.

I don't think they did nearly enough to make it their Own. Not sure why they covered it that way.

Was that what they were really trying to do? Make it their own?

Or were they simply covering it?

I honestly didn't mean it to be mean or to come across all high and mighty. The drummer is way closer to getting it than I'll ever be. But Porcaro's groove is Porcaro's groove, I've never heard anyone else really 'nail' it. And while this guy is technically hitting the beats it just feels ... I don't know. Full? Overflowing? "Too many notes", as they say in Amadeus.

Reminds me of "Love Is the Seventh Wave" by Sting. That's a Police song by every right, and although Omar Hakim is a great drummer he just cannot play a Stewart Copeland groove like Stewart Copeland.

I think it sounds fine, but I don't give a crap about the source material. I've never seen what the big deal about the song was (nifty half time shuffle aside), or the band for the matter. Fluffed up adult contemporary to my ears.

Definitely a huge crime against humanity that the ghost notes don't sound exactly the same as the original, or that the singer hits the notes a bit differently. Also, the bigger, more distorted guitars. It's almost as if it's a different band playing the song!

In all seriousness, he could be nailing that shuffle, but after all sorts of compression, what's coming out of the speakers might be a bit different than in the room.

Might be interesting to know a bit more back story. Is this something they just decided to do on a lark and banged it out in a few hours?

Back