Something I just don't get

Formless Method

Is it just me or do these drum solo sessions where there are two or more drummers all playing at the same drive you crazy too?

It looks cool seeing two or three famous drummers all playing at once but to me it gets old real fast. Usually when there is more than one drummer the air gets taken up to much and it becomes almost like white noise. Also if you do hear something great it's hard as hell to figure out exactly what it was the drummer was playing because the other guys are all riding on their hats, cymbals, and doing accents so FORGET trying to sift through all of that.

I'm just wondering if any of you really enjoy seeing two or three of your favorite drummers on stage all playing at the same time or are you like me and wish each one would playing a true SOLO pun :)

Also of course there are exceptions but I just find that a lot of the time I want to fast forward through a video when they all start playing together.

Personally, I have always enjoyed watching 2 or 3 drummers playing at once. Something about the synchronicity of it all I guess. Probably just a matter of opinion though!

I'd rather just hear real music than a bunch of drumming anyway, so I'm kinda with you on the "not getting it".

Is it just me or do these drum solo sessions where there are two or more drummers all playing at the same drive you crazy too?

I'm just wondering if any of you really enjoy seeing two or three of your favorite drummers on stage all playing at the same time or are you like me and wish each one would playing a true SOLO pun :)

No, it doesn't drive me crazy, anything well done and inspired on a drumkit I'll watch and listen, with no reservations :)

You can have it all Jay, playing together, soloing individually and soloing together, the best of both world :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_o0nlYigVo

Personally, I have always enjoyed watching 2 or 3 drummers playing at once. Something about the synchronicity of it all I guess. Probably just a matter of opinion though!

Yes Mary, I agree, synchronicity rules if you want homogeneity and accuracy :)

These guys don't do too bad... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-apngIt3w

That was amazing! Thanks for sharing, Henri!

I understand if you like that kind of thing. Different strokes for different folks.

Mad About Drums- I'm sure there are some great vids of drummers doing this correctly and it probably sounds good, but over the years 90 percent of the time I saw drummers playing at the same time be it 2, 3, or even four there was just not enough space inbetween the beats and just never really liked it.

I have seen drummers over the years talk about how amazing it was to watch certain drummers play together and when I watch it I just don't get what the big deal is. Not my cup of tea. Was just wondering if there were any other drummers that also felt this way.

Also I like that vid with Gadd and Weckl untill they all start playing together but for the most part it was done right. Each drummer having their moment.

Some drum "battles" are pretty cool but I do take your point of sometimes being overwhelmed by notes when two or more drummers are playing at the same time.

Generally I like to hear music in playing no matter how many drummers, guitarists or vocalst there are in the band. Drumbasadors were mentioned and I agree that they are great because they are working on every performance they do, so they are trying to say something by their playing. For comparison the famous Showdown by Colaiuta, Weckl and Gadd sounds for me like three perfect drummers playning without any idea. This is not something I`d like to listren for pleasure (despite the fact that they are incredible but this is only 'pure drum' part of playing drums). You can find easily in YT Colaiuta and Marrotta playong Lullaby for Duke`s Lullaby ad this is for me great example of tune composed specially for drums.
Assuming, drum duets or trios OK, but with idea!
Cheers

I agree with this. Sycnronicity is one the things that all drummers try to master anyway and I personally think that 2 drummers in sync with each other shows real dedication to music and musicmanship.

There are dual drum performances that enthrall me and some that I don't care for, just as there are some solos that I can't listen to and there are some that I watch over and over again. Horses for courses, as we say...

Yeah, I personally have little use for it. The whole double drumming thing is kind of lost on me.

It looks cool seeing two or three famous drummers all playing at once but to me it gets old real fast. Usually when there is more than one drummer the air gets taken up to much and it becomes almost like white noise. Also if you do hear something great it's hard as hell to figure out exactly what it was the drummer was playing because the other guys are all riding on their hats, cymbals, and doing accents so FORGET trying to sift through all of that.

Also of course there are exceptions but I just find that a lot of the time I want to fast forward through a video when they all start playing together.

I'd like to see the famous drummer playing music with the artist and his music that attracted my attention. Although Vinnie Colaiuta has been on countless incredible albums, I'd like to see him play with Robben Ford. If Danny Seraphine was able to reunite the old Chicago fomr the early 70s I'd love that too. Perhaps I ask for too much ;)

I don't really enjoy them either. I take exception to the drumbassadors because they have it all planned.

In Australia we have an event called drum scene and this is usually the last act of every event, I usually take this opportunity to leave before everyone else.

How about this for a double drummer act? When the drummers are this good ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h0YEJKavi0

Yeah it's great seeing Bellson. It's nice as well to see Gad but this video really didn't make much sense to me other than Bellson and Gadd doing individual short solos. The other guys were just standing there playing once in a while and when Gadd and Bellson did tap dancing of course it's cool but it's more for show than anything.

I mostly enjoy when a drummer is sitting at the drums, playing the drums.

Back