Writing a book (not instructional) opinions wanted

Pete Stoltman

Silver Member
For a while now I've been thinking about all the wonderful and wild experiences I've had playing in the music world since 1968. While I'm nowhere near the end of what I believe to be a successful career as a drummer I'm thinking about recording some of those experiences and the best way to do it would be in a book. In some sense this would be very personal as it would allow me to reflect on a ton of things that have happened over the years but it may also be of interest to folks who want to know what it's like to be a mainstream musician that isn't a "big name" celebrity. I guess you could call it something like being a workingman's musician. Do you think there would be interest to read something like that? Maybe it would shed some light on the reality of what most of us experience as musicians as opposed to the bios that are readily available about celebrity musicians.

I think would make great reading and offer a real world view of a giging drummers lot! I for one would want a copy- so we can compare, shocks, great moments and not so great ones!

Please dont give up this thought its what the world wants mate- I cant think of another example anyplace!

Well done and I hope you have a great time doing this...
Regards
H

I think it's a great idea. I have similar thoughts myself about wanting to share my experiences some day. I keep a loose journal about extreme highs and lows in hopes that someday I'll find / make the time to explore further, but ya, I'm far from done my "career", although not commercially successful (at this point, at least!), I've had some crazy great fun - I can only imagine this will only grow after I've spent 40+ years in the game.

Can I put dibs on your books film rights?

Nice idea mate! I'm trying to write a book as well at the moment. But this one is fictional. It's really difficult to do simply because you have to think of a story line that's complex and not predictable but still not too difficult to understand. If you can do it then great!

Thanks for the encouragement all. I'll get started on it soon and try to report my progress. If nothing else it should be fun trying to recount all the stuff that's happened and attempting to keep the timeline straight!

For inspiration, you may want to read "Killing Bono" which is a book written about a guy who went to school with U2, formed a band at the same time, and flopped hard while his school chums went on to be international stars.

It's a pretty hilarious book, of which many of us can relate too many parts of it.

I only bring it up, because yes, there is a market for such a book. I think many of us would have great stories we could tell, but most of us would have a hard time writing it in a way that would be entertaining, and this guy did it (although he was writing from the point of view of a singer, rather than drummer). Although it sort of helped that became a writer for big music magazine, but that's besides the point.

Also the movie Anvil is out now, a story about a band who should have been successful, but weren't, but once again showing that if done right, you don't have to famous to have good story about being the music business.

Good luck, and keep us updated. :)

Back