18" Crash/Ride Cymbal, Advice Needed!

Aran508

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster!

Basically I've only got serious about drumming in the last year or so since I joined a band that have been gigging a lot and I'm looking to expand my kit with a few new cymbals off Thomann. I've currently got a pretty standard setup;
14" ZBT Hats
17" Meinl Classic Power Crash
20" ZBT Ride
What I'm ordering is a 15" Paiste 2002 Classic Crash as I'm sure it will be a nice contrast with my current crash and some form of 18" crash/ride.

I'm looking for something which I can ride off in the heavy chorus' in my band but which also acts as a nice crash when needed, maybe with a lower definition than the other two current cymbals?

I've mainly been considering the Meinl 18" Klub Crash/Ride
http://www.thomann.de/ie/meinl_gx_18sc_signal_crash_klub_ride.htm
Or else the 18" Zildjian K Series Crash/Ride. Anyone got any experience or opinions on either of these? Also I've been told that a decent idea might be to get a thin 18" crash and use that to ride on?

Basically if anyone has any thoughts or feedback on either of these cymbals or other ones you could suggest it would be very much appreciated, I'm dying to buy these now but I don't wanna hand over 500 bills on something not useful!

I totally got you! The Zidjian A Series Sweet Ride (not the brilliant finish)! It's a nice big ride with a nice cutting bell and when you move down to the bow of the cymbal, it's a damn crash! By far the best cymbal I have ever played! Highly recommended for your type of playing!

Happy drumming!

I use a Zildjian 18" A Medium Crash as a crash to ride on a lot. It's not as dominating to the overall sound as a ride that you crash on and gives me a nice bright wash.

Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply!

Ended up splashing out a bit more money and getting the 18" 2002 thin crash and I couldn't be happier! For a thin crash it rides really well when needed

Check out the Sabian AAX Omni 18". I have owned a Sabian AA El Sabor 18" for years, and I love it. The bell is the best I have ever heard, and it is a very good medium-thin crash. The ride sound is good but seems to depend on room acoustics quite a bit. Peace and goodwill.

Back