Pearl Crystal Beat.

skunkendilly

Hi Folks

Anybody here playing a Pearl Crystal Beat kit? Not the original models but the new one.

I have ordered one which is due to be delivered sometime in January.

Sizes are "24x"14 kick, "13x"9 hanging tom and "16x"15 and "18x"16 floor toms.

Just interested to know what others may think about them.

Paul.

I don't own one, but I have played one, and I like them a lot. Acrylic drums have a very loud, percussive sound to them that I find pleasing. Don't know that I would use one exclusively, but I find nothing bad to say about them. One thing is indisputable - they have a beautiful, unique look to them that has earned them a spot in the classic drum designs. I would imagine that they would be a wonderful playground for head experimentation, too. Congrats on the kit. Be sure to post photos, of course.

GeeDeeEmm

Played a DW,Tama and Pearl acrylic.

All sound about the same (the Pearl came with black hardware which puts it on my do not buy list because it just doesn't wear well).

Personally would go for the Tama (same qualty,but gives you a snare for the same price).

I've heard a Pearl Crystal Beat kit being played that the Guitar Center I work at and it sounded AWESOME, it was much louder than the two kits setup with wooden shells and the bass drum sounded like a damn cannon!

From what the drum guy told me about the acrylic kits that have been released recently a majority of them use shells from the same company which is RCI, they just put their hardware and badges on them. He was referring specifically to the Pearl Crystal Beat and Tama Silverstar Mirage which we carry in store, not sure about Crush or other brands.

I wouldn't imagine with them being so loud that they'd be good for recording but they'd be great for using live.

Hope you like them!

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Mostly confirms what I was already thinking.

As for the suggestion I should have asked these things before buying........well.....I didn't do that before I got married and I have been married to the same woman for thirty five years......so, no, I don't think I should have.

Happy holidays folks.

Paul.

As for the suggestion I should have asked these things before buying........well.....I didn't do that before I got married and I have been married to the same woman for thirty five years......so, no, I don't think I should have.

Paul.

By that same rational, you don't go around asking people their opinions of your wife now that you are married, do you?

I say what I say because I see so many posts by people who ask for people's opinions of a product AFTER they have already purchased it. I could did up 4 or 5 posts that have happened within the last couple months of people doing this exact thing. It makes no sense. Just wait until you get it, play it for a while, and give people YOUR opinion of it.

EDIT: As for my opinion of them, here's what I posted in another thread over a year ago:

Really nice sounding drums. Not abrasive like you would think, good tone with pretty controlled overtones. It could have been the heads that were on it, but overall a pretty nice kit for the money.

A couple things about the kit though: The seamless shells are a big plus in my book. I just like seamless vs shells with a seam. They skimped on the hardware for this kit to keep costs down. The rims are 1.6mm, the lugs are really basic, like what would be on an export kit, and floor tom legs are thin (I don't even think they are a standard 10mm) and the mounts for the legs are really lightweight and look cheap. This may be totally fine though as its less shell mass and maybe the drums are not that heavy so it doesnt need to be bulky. To me it looked like a cost savings measure though. Overall fit and finish was okay. Not great though. The shells look good, but the bass drum rims have markings on them from where the router bit rounded the edges for the claws. I have seen that you can get rid of this by putting a torch on it to soften the acrylic and make it glassy again. Again, just a cost savings measure of getting it done to fit a budget.

But the sound was good, and they look great from about 5 feet. After that you notice the little things.

Well thank you Tommy.

I actually wasn't asking peoples opinion to help me decide whether or not to buy ther kit, if I gave that impression forgive me.

Was just interested to know what people thought of them or not.

Your add-on is interesting but really no more than that to me.

Who's got two thumbs up, a big grin on his face and doesn't give a flying fig.......me, that's who!

Happy,happy holidays to all.

Paul

Hi Stagger

I already have a Forecast kit. Must say I am not terribly impressed with it's quality, though it is very photogenic.

Paul.

Some pics of my Forecast kit.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSCF1474 (640x478).jpg
    DSCF1474 (640x478).jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DSCF1480 (640x478).jpg
    DSCF1480 (640x478).jpg
    333 KB · Views: 1,032
Just curious...before buying the Pearls, did you price a set of Crush acrylics?

Paul.

Ha! That's great, Paul. You have a tremendous attitude. I think I like 'ya!

By the way, I assume the Pearl acrylics you bought are clear? I'm not a fan of the colors, but I love the clears.

And Forecast drums? I've not heard of them, but your green kit looks pretty solid. Is it?

GeedeeEmm

Hi Pork Pie guy

I can't get the Crush in the sizes I want, so no, I did not price them. Though I think they look fine and have only heard good things about them.

Geedeemm, I have ordered the amber set, not the clear, though I really like them.

Paul.

Hi Everyone,
as within my searches I'm also considering to buy a Crystal Beat (with 20" bassdrum) are there any updates on your comments? Skunkendilly any follow up?
Roberto

Back