Ever look back at videos of yourself playing and cringe?

maxwhineberg

I remember I was probably 5 years into drumming and played a great show that was videotaped at our show for a local news report on local talent and I was mortified and how stiff and boring I looked playing. And it was a heavy wild band I was in. Looked like I was concentrating so, so hard LOL

Yup. I look back at videos of me from last month and cringe.

I think it' almost as good an idea to video record your gigs as it is to audio record them. That way you can work on your performance from at least two different perspectives.

Just about every time! But I am still just a weekend hack!

I was watching an older video of my band playing at a local bar/venue. My playing is really not as clean as I like it now but what really makes me cringe is how my meter is all over the place.

I'm pretty sure that we were all tanked at that gig so it probably isn't the best representation. Still painful to watch though...

Yeah. I've seen players that look so graceful they way they old the sticks and play. Ugh...

Also, what about listening to yourself on a demo? It's mixed. There are parts where I think "cool!" And there are other parts where I cringe where I sped up or overplayed a fill or something.

Oh yes!!
I have a LONG way to go!!!!
I've also listened to some audio of a rehearsal from 6 months ago as well.
UGH!!
The ONLY good thing about the resulting cringing, is that at least we are aware that there's room for improvement. THAT's good!!!

I'm a woman, so whenever I hear or see recordings of myself, I think I look and sound fat.

But seriously, my playing usually sounds better than I expect. But my voice ... yikes! I hate the sound of my voice!

If I click on an older video of myself playing, it is generally out of morbid curiosity. Even as of last year. :)

Nah, I like to live in the moment. If I enjoyed the gig and the audience enjoyed the gig then its good enough for me.

I play cos I love it so I wont sweat details like "How am I looking".

I'm a lot more comfortable watching vids of myself than listening to audio-only playback. I'd have it the other way around it I could pick. Oh well.

No...when I see pics and/or vids which other people have take of me I always think I look a real fat bastard...but I don't care.

I wonder about this modern day paraphilia that people have about looking at themselves. Went into a large computer chain yesterday and noticed something I hadn't seen before....selfie sticks. Sticks, for taking pictures of yourself.

I try to avoid bigotry...but jeez, these people need to be carted off and quietly disposed of.

No...when I see pics and/or vids which other people have take of me I always think I look a real fat bastard...but I don't care.

I wonder about this modern day paraphilia that people have about looking at themselves. Went into a large computer chain yesterday and noticed something I hadn't seen before....selfie sticks. Sticks, for taking pictures of yourself.

I try to avoid bigotry...but jeez, these people need to be carted off and quietly disposed of.

Couldnt agree more,mate. The law now seems to be that If you dont post a pic of something, then it didnt hapen.

If I watch my older stuff (basically anything up to around 12 years experience) I definitely shake my head and stop watching pretty quickly.

These days though, my playing has matured a lot, especially with regards to overplaying (which you never know how bad you do it until you watch stuff you've done). I've even possibly gone the opposite end of the spectrum and now underplay when I could get away with more, but I don't mind that so much. The main thing I've noticed is just how much my time-keeping has improved, especially over the last three years.

Although I must admit, a couple of my Youtube videos are a bit dodgy and I find that if I don't watch them, the problems don't exist and I stay happy :)

Cringe not at my drumming, which was probably better 15 years ago, but at my hair.

Yes. I cringe if I see a video of me from 5 minutes ago...

No cringing. I look like a God. Who could benefit from better posture.

(Employing the faking it until I make it tact)

Back