Larry's Snare Giveaway: The unwrapping videos!

... packed nicely with a bundle of Larry's signature laundry - which is getting handed down to everletty today!

Mike!! The laundry goes in your bass drum. It's got a higher concentration of electrons than your standard laundry! No need for a pillow or that AKG D112 anymore. Though I'm sure everletty will appreciate it, too.

True. There's always exotic names like Juanita or Svetlana.

Has anybody used Cassiopeia? To quote Wikipedia, "... a constellation in the northern sky, named after the vain queen Cassiopeia in Greek mythology, who boasted about her unrivaled beauty." In short, "Cass."

Mine is obvious. Joey. It cuts across the theme I had going earlier (Veronica, Betty, Midge, Mrs. Grundy, Cherry Blossom) but I don't think I could have gone any different.

Amazing!

Larry's snare showed up at my house Wednesday but USPS didn't want to leave it at my door, so I just picked it up this morning. Got it home and did a quick swap of heads and hoops (everletty gets a die cast hoop upgrade) and did a bit of tuning. Wow! I dialed it in next to my BB and this drum packs a punch!

I have a rock show down in Portland tonight so I don't have time to futz around with video, but suffice it to say that it was packed nicely with a bundle of Larry's signature laundry - which is getting handed down to everletty today!

Anyway, here's a pic of the mighty Bronze Sensitone just before I packed it up for tonight. Also, more pics of my fabulous carpet since it's such a hit, and one more just for fun to show the rest of my little rock room.

Thanks again, Larry, I'm super excited to play this tonight!

I just saw all this, yay! No damage, sweet. Got the ole black dot on there already I see. I'm so satisfied about all this.

Larry, you were right about the rope. I think it was holding (at least part) of the drum together. Two of the lug screws broke and fell inside the drum and when I took the batter head off to get them out, I thought I'd tighten up the rest just for good measure and two more screws broke leaving the threaded portions inside the lugs - gotta figure out how to get those out of the 4 lugs now.

Anybody have any ideas?

Oh crap, I was just joking about the rope. Sorry about that Mitch. The screws were not bouncing around when it left, but then I didn't go inside the drum either. A small pair of vice grips if there's any threads sticking out, if not, WD-40 and a screw extractor bit which is tricky if it's stuck on the shell. Man, I feel bad. If that doesn't work, drill it out of the shell and replace the lug.

Snare arrived yesterday, packaged in the infamous blue shirts and a very serviceable drum bag that I will be definitely using for carting to gigs.

Just bought new heads which I'm tuning up when I get home tonight, then it's off to the studio with Larry's amazing gift to record drum tracks for the album all weekend.

I couldn't stop staring at her all night last night. Trying to come up with a good name. "Goldie" or something is too easy. Maybe "Aunt Larrita" =P.

And this finishes it off. It is a pretty drum. It really caught my eye when I saw it. At the time, I didn't know what a BB was. I just liked the sound of it. I got it from Sam Ash in Cherry Hill NJ in 2005. The Supra came from Sam Ash in Phila. Michael's BB I ordered online in 2011. The Sensitone I got online too, probably in 2009. I included an extra pair of brass plated TF hoops because I had them.

So in case you want a livelier tone, you have that option.

Play it in good health man, many happy returns.

Thanks USPS for protecting the drums.

I'm shipping Allthecoolnamesaretaken drums tomorrow and that should do it for awhile.

Last edited:
Happy i got back in time to see these reactions, its all so sweet!

Side note: Sorry to folks who know me for disappearing off the face of the earth, many of you who know me know of the complications within the family, i regret to say they have gotten far worse and it takes up most of my time, combined with job etc means i usually am flat out dead by the time i can get on here, so im sorry but il try being more proactive on here again!

Attached a shot my bandmate took of that beautiful new lady in my life sitting pretty in the studio.

Attachments

• 15578693_1026796994093183_3671279203010321236_n.jpg
    15578693_1026796994093183_3671279203010321236_n.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 133
I thought i'd at least post a picture since I have not been on the forum much due to the 80 hour a week schedule. On Saturday I had a chance to test drive the BB with the '64 Downbeat. Spent most of the time tuning.
I awoke Sunday to find my basement drum cave flooded for the 3rd time in 7 years. Luckily, i built a platform (stage) 6 inches off the floor after last time and no drums were harmed.

20161210_210919_zpshamgxqnz.jpg

Flood!
20161218_092409_zpsmdvuerbp.jpg

I awoke Sunday to find my basement drum cave flooded for the 3rd time in 7 years.

Yipes! I thought you just had a VERY shiny floor! My basement would flood every spring until I re-graded the side of the road in front of my house. Water would stand in the "ditch", so I tilled it up and removed some soil. No problems since. Hope your flooding problem is an easy fix!

Yipes! I thought you just had a VERY shiny floor! My basement would flood every spring until I re-graded the side of the road in front of my house. Water would stand in the "ditch", so I tilled it up and removed some soil. No problems since. Hope your flooding problem is an easy fix!

1st flood = dead sump pump,
2nd flood = stuck sump pump float
3rd flood = ice damn at curb blocking pipe exit

Easy fixes, crappy clean-up, just more sh!tty luck!

A small pair of vice grips if there's any threads sticking out, if not, WD-40 and a screw extractor bit which is tricky if it's stuck on the shell.

No screw bits stuck in the shell, the threaded pieces are buried inside the lug. Not sure if it's feasible to try to extract them.

I think i'll just look online for some other imperial lugs and go that route. No biggie!

No screw bits stuck in the shell, the threaded pieces are buried inside the lug. Not sure if it's feasible to try to extract them.

I think i'll just look online for some other imperial lugs and go that route. No biggie!

I learned the hard way that it doesn't take a lot of force to shear the bolt off in the lugs, or the lug off on the bolt ,both tightening and loosening. Galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals of the bolt and the lug can "weld" the metals together.

You might try heating the bolt piece inside the lug with the tip of a soldering iron and then plunging in ice water before extracting. The thermal expansion and contraction may loosen its grip inside the lug.

I think I would try stuff like very strong bonding glue on the end of something I can grip; attempting to bond then "unscrew" the stuck thread part.

hate it that you got water in the house again. That BB sure looks nice with the other Ludwigs. There's a lot of mojo there.

I've cleared off the space at the end of the bed where the cat used to sleep. That way the lady can sleep there. The snare is getting her side of the bed which I think is more than reasonable.

Attachments

• studio BB GC.jpg
    studio BB GC.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 76
I wanted to set up this thread so that videos of folks getting their new gear could be shared out with the community at large. There's been an awful lot of naysayers and cynics on the other thread. Let's show them what this has all been about - drummers being real cool to other drummers for no ulterior motive whatsoever.

My snare will be here sometime today (crack job by the US Postal Service), so I'll post my video as soon as I get it - followed by a studio first look sometime in the next week.

Snare giveaway?
I guess I missed it...

Back