New Drummer Fran Merante

m16batt

I enjoy Drummerworld's website and like to try to find new drummers that are inspiring to listen to as well as try to get some educational material to help me grow as a musician.
I suggest you check out the drummer, Fran Merante on Drummerworld. He has a website cidrumming.com and has tons of videos on youtube.

He has a lot of taste and feel to his playing. His grooves reminds me of Gadd and his rhythmic manipulation reminds me of a Vinnie or Garibaldi. You guys should check it out!
Beware, I just spent the last 6 hours viewing his videos and attempted to learn some of the material he puts out for all to see. He has a vid. on Drummerworld showing a crazy Rodney Holmes Groove. I may call in sick tomorrow and spend the day trying to learn that groove..............warning....looking at this material can be hazardous to your career! lol

I also liked how he played on a tune called, Endure. I believe it is one of Tommy Igoe's tunes from Groove Essentials. The playing is great. Nice feel and the fills fot the tune so well. In the day and age of "Look at me, drum chop videos" that have nothing to do with musicianship and all to do with ego, this video and his website is refreshing to see. This guy pays for the music...........the grooves, fills, feel and dynamics all work with the tunes.
I also checked out some cool funk playing on the youtube vid, "Pocket Full of Soul" and some odd time playing on PlatOpus.
I recommend you check his site out. He has some great instructional vids. as well. I just saw one called Ruffin It which shows some ways to integrate the Ruff rudiment into your playing.

I enjoy Drummerworld's website and like to try to find new drummers that are inspiring to listen to as well as try to get some educational material to help me grow as a musician.
I suggest you check out the drummer, Fran Merante on Drummerworld.

Hey man!!

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for the plug!! I really appreciate all of the compliments and kind words! I am ecstatic that you find my stuff appealing!

Thanks again and best of luck to you in all you do!

Fran Merante

Hi Fran,
Thanks for responding to my post.
I have a question for you. I notice in your videos that you play very relaxed. It looks like you are not straining , even when paying some incredibly fast fills. Your left hand is playing some intricate patterns , but doesn't look like it is working at all.
When I go to play some difficult patterns or quick tempo grooves, I tend to tense up. Do you have any suggestions for playing loose and relaxed?

By the way, your video on youtube ofn Ruff 'n It is incredible. I like the way the fill feels...a comfortable fill which sounds incredible and can be use in a lot of different musical situations. (If I could just get my hands to relax more, I think the sound of the fill would be closer to what you play on your videos.
Thanks for your insight~

http://www.youtube.com/user/funky2714

http://www.youtube.com/user/funky2714#p/u/35/ESieP8Wrlcg

Hi Fran,
When I go to play some difficult patterns or quick tempo grooves, I tend to tense up. Do you have any suggestions for playing loose and relaxed?

GREAT question!

Relaxation while playing is something that as been preached for a very long time now by the world of drumming's top educators. It is really one of the secrets of success behind the drum kit. However, it is also one of those things that is easier said than done. Our bodies have a natural tendency/instinct to tighten up whenever it is put in a situation to have to react quickly. Because of this, when we are put in a situation to play a fast tempo groove, fill, etc, the natural tendency is to tighten the grip, tighten the arms, tighten the legs/feet, hold the breath etc.

I usually begin my lessons with my students on the pad to warm up. We share a pad and they sit directly across from me. This puts me in a PERFECT position to assess their technique and their level of relaxation. I CONSTANTLY remind them to relax and to BREATHE. Breathing deeply evokes relaxation. I advise that pad work is not only for building speed, dexterity, endurance, etc, but also is the place where focus on relaxation should take place. I advise to constantly check their technique and their level of relaxation while at the pad. This way, relaxation will become second nature and will carry over to what they do behind the kit. The object is not to let your hands get in the way of what the sticks want to do naturally, BOUNCE. A tight grip or choke hold on the stick puts the ability of the stick to move quickly completely at the mercy of your arm and hand's ability to move quickly. It should be the reverse. The grip on the stick should involve the bare minimum amount of pressure needed to keep the stick in the position to play and remain under control. The sticks are doing the playing. Your hands are just providing enough interaction with them to control which notes you are going to allow the sticks to play/not play.

Imagine yourself completely drained of your energy. Arms/hands completely limp and loose, with sticks just barely being held in your hands. To play, use the bare minimum of energy it requires to get the notes out. If you find yourself dropping your sticks a lot, you are on the right track. This means your hands are still searching for the bare minimum amount of pressure to apply to the sticks to keep them under control.

This is much easier shown, than explained but I am doing my best to help you to understand.

If you work on the above at the pad on a consistent basis (EVERY DAY), it will carry over to the kit. You will find licks and grooves coming out effortlessly and really be taken back by the advancement of your playing.

If you need any further clarification on anything or have any further questions, I will be more than happy to help in any way I can!

Good luck!

Back